AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Reviews

If you have AM4 and a 5XXX cpu keep it for gaming only needs or grab 5800X 3D. If you need thread count and have Solid AM4+32GB of ram a 5950 looks fantastic deal for production workloads. For new system now I am not sure what I would do. Probably AM4 still due to cost of boards, memory and power needs....

Don't think anyone is saying it's shit. just very "meh". I prefer IPC gains.
The IPC gains are there though, not as big as zen 2 to zen 3, but still not too shabby. Roughly two thirds of what zen 2 to zen 3 offered, still bigger than what intel has been giving us for the past decade. But we are getting a massive clock speed bump on top as well. So overall a great generational bump. Yea the power consumption and heat output is high, but it's technically a PBO cpu. Where Zen 3 would nearly hit the exact same power consumption with PBO enabled, but with only a tiny bump in all core clock speed. The fact that we are getting above 5.5 ghz clocks, at the same wattage as a PBO mode 5950x (with a nearly 1ghz gain over a 5950x), at the same temp levels (mine hits just above 90c with PBO), is a big win in my book.

Truth of the matter is, most people won't see this 95C temp or max power consumption numbers unless they are working in the creative fields. I understand that the majority of peeps from the looks of it are upset at the high power consumption and high temp at max load. But I don't mind zen4's design choices. Having an architecture push itself to a temp limit of 95c, maximizing clocks while keeping it stable without throttling, is pretty damn impressive. Especially considering it's Tjunction is 115c....

Reactions: Axman
like this
If you have AM4 and a 5XXX cpu keep it for gaming only needs or grab 5800X 3D. If you need thread count and have Solid AM4+32GB of ram a 5950 looks fantastic deal for production workloads. For new system now I am not sure what I would do. Probably AM4 still due to cost of boards, memory and power needs....
Depends on what you need. Honestly. If you are doing creative workloads, the Zen4 numbers are staggering. Intel rumors are also pointing to a major uplift in performance. But at what cost? 350W Ultra power mode is kinda a slap in the face. That is some insane wattage, although their Single thread performance looks to most likely bean zen 4. Will have to wait for reviews...but leaks show it.

But if you are mostly just gaming, yea, go zen 3 with a 5800x3d. But if you are building a workstation....Really just depends on your budget, buy a dead platform with cheaper ddr4 memory and a zen 3 cpu....Or spend more and get a massive uplift in creative performance, at the expense of more expensive components. Pretty much all comes down to budget and expectations really. But at least the latter option offers upgradability.

I mean, the review posted earlier showed a 3% increase. So I guess technically yes, "it's there".
That's one benchmark. Where here, normalized at 4ghz, it's showing a 7.5% bump. I would never take one review as fact when it comes to these things....Too many variables.

But I believe tunnel visioning on just IPC increase at a normalized spec isn't the best way to review this gen. Normally it would be... But considering how massive the multithreaded performance bump is, and single thread as well (At the hands of much higher clocks). Especially with the massive boost we got in clock speeds this generation. Just focusing on single threaded normalized ipc ends up being an apples to oranges comparison for this gen (Which normally would not be the case). Now if they both had the same boost clocks, absolutely. But when you sample the whole cake, and not just the sum of its parts...It's actually a rather impressive package.

Last edited:
.It's actually a rather impressive package.
Sure, it's neat that they managed to cram more wattage into Ryzen while staying stable (even it it comes with a disclaimer of "95c is totally fine"). Idk, just a big shift from what I've been used to ever since replacing my bulldozer with a Ryzen 1600 way back when.

What were you expecting exactly? You're showing us a chart where $300 CPU's are performing on par with $500-800 chips. Clearly a beefier CPU is going to have minimal effect with a GPU bottleneck, as it does in most modern games in 4k.

As someone that does a lot of encoding, the productivity benchmarks are quite impressive. I'm not in a rush to upgrade, but no complaints here. 95C is pretty crazy, but if it's stable and doesn't throttle, I don't see it being a big deal. That kind of power usage isn't new either - I've seen some people use manual PPT settings with 240-270W on 5950X's.

Reactions: Ikasu
like this
Sure, it's neat that they managed to cram more wattage into Ryzen while staying stable (even it it comes with a disclaimer of "95c is totally fine"). Idk, just a big shift from what I've been used to ever since replacing my bulldozer with a Ryzen 1600 way back when.
It's actually the same wattage and thermals as Zen 3...If you enable PBO. my 5950x hits roughly the same wattage, and temps. I will admit the zen 3 arch was insanely optimized for it's default values. At stock, my 5950x is around 110-140watts. But as soon as I enable PBO to, 220-250watts, mid 90c load, with higher all core clocks...Although the all core wasn't a massive boost.

So we are basically getting a PBO from the factory cpu, with a nearly 1ghz increase in clock speed on a newer architecture. I'm sure there will be those who downclock and optimize for efficiency. Which will reign in the temps and power to be more zen 3 like. It does suck we don't get this at stock capabilities. But considering we actually have competition now between Intel and AMD. Expect them to squeeze every ounce of performance they can get...Pushing their silicon to the edge of what they are capable of. At least for the foreseeable future till one takes a commanding lead...Which we all know what happens in that scenario. We get 5% ipc bumps from generation to generation and milking of the consumer with no innovation...lol.

Considering the landscape though. A PBO'ed zen4 at 250 w, is still better than a "Ultra Power" 13th gen at 350+ watts to me....At least when power consumption comes into mind.

What were you expecting exactly? You're showing us a chart where $300 CPU's are performing on par with $500-800 chips. Clearly a beefier CPU is going to have minimal effect with a GPU bottleneck, as it does in most modern games in 4k.

As someone that does a lot of encoding, the productivity benchmarks are quite impressive. I'm not in a rush to upgrade, but no complaints here. 95C is pretty crazy, but if it's stable and doesn't throttle, I don't see it being a big deal. That kind of power usage isn't new either - I've seen some people use manual PPT settings with 240-270W on 5950X's.
what about with a 3090+ to eliminate that GPU bottleneck effect

That's one benchmark. Where here, normalized at 4ghz, it's showing a 7.5% bump. I would never take one review as fact when it comes to these things....Too many variables.

But I believe tunnel visioning on just IPC increase at a normalized spec isn't the best way to review this gen. Normally it would be... But considering how massive the multithreaded performance bump is, and single thread as well (At the hands of much higher clocks). Especially with the massive boost we got in clock speeds this generation. Just focusing on single threaded normalized ipc ends up being an apples to oranges comparison for this gen (Which normally would not be the case). Now if they both had the same boost clocks, absolutely. But when you sample the whole cake, and not just the sum of its parts...It's actually a rather impressive package.
It's decent, but not impressive in my view. It's proof that Moore's Law truly is dead. In order to get good performance gains that customers are expecting, they had to resort to massive power increase and pushing thermals to the absolute limit. They achieved those performance gains, but not in an ideal way.

Definitely not a shit release. I’m terms of gaming, it’s very “meh” compared to the 5800x3D, but in terms of productivity, it’s crazy fast compared to the equivalent Ryzen 5000 CPUs. AMD made a killer CPU.

Im sure many of you remember the Pentium 4 vs Athlon 64 days. Here we are again. Both Intel and AMD are leap frogging each other with every release. It’s a very exciting time, especially knowing that AMD has an Athlon 64 X2 in the works with their Ryzen 7000 3D v-cache models coming shortly.

AMD and Intel are locked in a bitter fight again. I’m looking forward to the next several years.

what about with a 3090+ to eliminate that GPU bottleneck effect

Dude, even the 4090 is likely going to end up being a bottleneck at 4K. There will be more titles where it's able to show a difference, but there will still be games where the GPU is causing a hard limit and not CPUs. 4K is just that demanding on GPUs.

It's all rumors at this point, but there are lots of "insiders" claiming that there will be a 3D versions of one or more Zen4 CPU's coming early next year. The same folks say an announcement will coming later this year - possibly rather soon depending on what Intel has in store.

I don't put much stock in rumors, but if that ends up being true then it'll be good for me. If V-Cache chips end up coming out around the time I'm interested in buying all the better.

I keep thinking they lowered the price on the 7950X so they can slot a 7950X3D over it at some point in the next year.
I think that was the original intent but giving the heat the 7950x is giving off a 3D cache version is not possible at this time.

Some of that 7% is likely due to the transition to AM5. I guess AMD had to go AM5 eventually, but I still think a tri-channel AM4+ support for Zen 3+ would have been tits. They could have brought other new features as well while letting people use their old dual channel boards and simply adding 1 memory module if they want to upgrade it. It would have been great for the 5600g/5700g APU performance as well.

No doubt I would wait for the sub $200 B-650 boards. So it makes sense then getting a 7600x, B650, and DDR5 instead of the 5800x3d and B550 if you are sitting on an old platform as you would have a much longer upgrade path and better I/O.

For now the $350+ MBs is what really screws things up. Also, we need to see more 7600x undervolting results to see if this can be a bit more efficient and less power/cooler demanding.
The new platform adoption cost is the main barrier to entry at the moment. I took some time to look at the reviews in a bit more depth and the new chips are, indeed, productivity beasts.

I guess the space heater feature is fine, it's getting cold over here in the Midwest... At least they locked down the backplate (finally) so you don't have to go screwing with holding the backside of your MB while attempting to mount a cooler. Not sure what that means for my last gen of Arctic monster AIOs but I suspect they are already punching out adapters.

I will skip this gen unless the X3D stuff is insane.

Even then, I think I can safely wait until the X770 boards pop up next year and see how the prices have normalized for Zen 8000 series.

The 7600x is pretty impressive but I will pass. No desire to go back to 6 core / 12 threads.

If AMD ever clearly dominates in everything all their pricing will go through the roof.

We should all wait to see what Intel does with 13th gen. Even then, I would say the affordable entry into the market is probably something like a 12700K and a cheap MB & DDR4. It always amazes me when I think of Intel as the value proposition. It's something that AMD has been able to do enough damage to get things to this point.

I can't get excited about the "inefficiencies" and the power usage. The 7600x is now a 105w chip.. Back to the old MOAR POWER and MOAR GHZ era

I can't get excited about the "inefficiencies" and the power usage. The 7600x is now a 105w chip.. Back to the old MOAR POWER and MOAR GHZ era
It seem to be incredibly efficient too no:

graph-125-65-02-1200x546.png

An Apple M1 ultra was doing 23,841 using 60 watt, the 7950x seem to even beat the Apple Silicon in MT efficiency, it will probably show up where it matters, server-laptop.

It goes inefficient only if you push it for an extra bit if you need it and find it worth it for the electricity price

Microcenter has 25+ of each sku of CPUs ATM opening. Mine only has 2 MB. A couple gigabyte Elite for $299 and 25+ of the Gigabyte Xtreme for $700 lol. The other MC that is a hour away also has 25+ of each sku but only 10 MB split between MSI and Gigabyte for $300~.

More yummy benchmarks that mean what to whom? Exactly?
Seem a bit self-explanatory no ? Compiling for developer got faster, baking and other more specific game developer has well.

One type of people that could care about expensive many core CPUs and hang out on a computer message board. I imagine I am not only to be a work from home coders in charge of their desktop choice here.

Intel's announcement is in 2 hours. Unless you're dead set on Zen 4 (and assume they're going to sell out today...which they might?), it's probably at least worth a glance.

So far for me, the most interesting info is the performance at the eco modes. Unfortunately, the adoption costs make these new chips less interesting. At least until Intel releases their stuff and we see the true price/perf of this generation. That and the new 3D chips in 3-6 months.

So far for me, the most interesting info is the performance at the eco modes. Unfortunately, the adoption costs make these new chips less interesting. At least until Intel releases their stuff and we see the true price/perf of this generation. That and the new 3D chips in 3-6 months.
I agree, the cost of ownership is just too high for the gains being shown in these reviews. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach for these new CPU and GPU releases.

It's totally unrelated, but I feel like Nvidia's announcement didn't help matters. There was a feeling of "there are big things coming soon that will change everything!" a month ago. Nvidia's announcement totally fell flat and the lack of real numbers to change the narrative made it worse. Okay, well next week AMD will reignite the enthusiast market then! With Zen 4, I think they actually did end up looking pretty good but expectations were suddenly higher. The fact that the 5800X3D is up there with 'em for many/most users doesn't help. Pretty sure there are no PCIE 5 drives available as additional incentive, either. Let's not forget the current mobo selection, too. The outrage over temps feels like something to latch onto but probably doesn't really matter, though. I still absolutely want all of these new parts, but I don't feel compelled to get them like I have been in the past. Especially not when costs are high and justification isn't.

Which one?

On Newegg lowest priced is the ASRock X670E PG Lightning @ $259.99 ( $244.99 after rebate )
Same one. Looking at the specs I guess it isn't terrible...but it looks a lot lower end than the taichi x570 I got for a bit less.

*edit* lol only 4 SATA ports. Low end stuff there.

only 4 SATA ports
for an ..70 level board was surprised at first, but wonder if it would not someone common considering the 4 m.2 slot and the m.2 drive pricing relative to the sata a lot of many drives new build will not have any sata SSD, still achieve to be an 8 hard drive without expansion card board.

Same one. Looking at the specs I guess it isn't terrible...but it looks a lot lower end than the taichi x570 I got for a bit less.

*edit* lol only 4 SATA ports. Low end stuff there.
Wow, even the cheapest boards I've looked at in the past have had six SATA ports. Maybe they're redirecting the bandwidth for more PCI-E drives?

Spec says 3, unless I'm missing one.
Could be me (looking here: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X670E PG Lightning/index.asp), seem to have a small one Key-e for wireless and those:
  • 1 Blazing M.2 (PCIe Gen5x4),
    1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4x4),
    1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3x4 & SATA3),
    1 M.2 (PCIe Gen4x2),
    4 SATA3
With all those different name I could misleading counting 4 or maybe you lose one if you use some pci-express slot in x16 mode ? I have no idea, but if it is 3x the general idea would still be true, the wanting over 4x sata port could become quite niche even for the ..70 class board, with the m2 and popularity of NAS and quasi nonexistence of optic drives, not much sata use in the main workstation left versus 10-15 years ago.

Could be me (looking here: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X670E PG Lightning/index.asp), seem to have a small one Key-e for wireless and those:
  • 1 Blazing M.2 (PCIe Gen5x4),
    1 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4x4),
    1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3x4 & SATA3),
    1 M.2 (PCIe Gen4x2),
    4 SATA3
Okay, MCs listing wasn't as clear. I see it on the board now. The WW1/2 zigzag naval camo doesn't help...

*Edit* Still, I wouldn't be able to carry over all my 2.5" ssds to this which isn't great for spending $250+ on a mobo. The extra m2 is neat, but SATA ssds are still easier to find deals on for storage.

*edit 2* The pro model has 5 m.2 slots and 6 sata...so I'm not sure it's a bandwidth choice.

Last edited:
Back