AMD Ryzen 7000 Series Reviews

The more these come in the happier I am, but my biggest project will be for next summer’ish. I need to rebuild my Arcade cabinet (it’s falling apart and ugly) and as much as a 5700g would do, something with AVX512 would do better. So I eagerly await the 7000 series equivalent and it better have at least RDNA2 otherwise WTSF is AMD thinking.

The more these come in the happier I am, but my biggest project will be for next summer’ish. I need to rebuild my Arcade cabinet (it’s falling apart and ugly) and as much as a 5700g would do, something with AVX512 would do better. So I eagerly await the 7000 series equivalent and it better have at least RDNA2 otherwise WTSF is AMD thinking.

Intel's 11th gen is often overlooked I think. Discreer gaming and application benchmarks are closer to the 5800x than the 5700g. It has a descent igpu and power isn't terrible for being on 14nm. Pcie-3.0 is the only real bummer.

I have very basic understanding of easier of heat transfer, cooling and so on, but should it not be much easier for a cheap cooler to do the job ?
On an Wraith Stealth, zero gaming performance lost on a 7600x versus an very high end $290 water cooling AIO:

On a cinebench R23 scenario, you loose around 8%

Using a wraith spire you loose 96%, so I imagine the lost on a cheap but good tower cooler would be minimal on a $40 Pure rock 2 you are almost there in full thread long almost worst case scenario (98%)

On an Wraith Stealth, zero gaming performance lost on a 7600x versus an very high end $290 water cooling AIO:

Using a wraith spire you loose 96%, so I imagine the lost on a cheap but good tower cooler would be minimal on a $40 Pure rock 2 you are almost there in full thread long almost worst case scenario (98%)

Just keep in mind that will change depending on the case you're using. Nothing we haven't known since the past 20+ years, but I am going to assume for the typical case a gamer uses a higher end cooler might make a bit more of a difference.

Just keep in mind that will change depending on the case you're using. Nothing we haven't known since the past 20+ years, but I am going to assume for the typical case a gamer uses a higher end cooler might make a bit more of a difference.
And it is also possible that you do not loose performance only if you let your cooler get really noisy on an cheap one obviously, which is far from a small variable.

SATA and PCI-E lanes for NVMe drives has always come from the chipset, as far as I'm aware.
The first 4 PCIe lanes for the top/closest m.2 NVMe slot go directly to the CPU, and everything else is off of the chipset.
Intel's 11th gen is often overlooked I think. Discreer gaming and application benchmarks are closer to the 5800x than the 5700g. It has a descent igpu and power isn't terrible for being on 14nm. Pcie-3.0 is the only real bummer.
11th gen has PCIe 4.0, except for the Pentium and Celeron CPUs, which are PCIe 3.0 only.

The wattage and heat is making me steer toward a 5950 upgrade path.

Interesting 7950X performance-to-power analysis that no one else has really done.

(For anyone not familiar with BuildZoid, he's one of the rare tech tubers that isn't one - no fluff, no SENSATIONALIZED?!?! video titles or goofy "shocked face" thumbnails to appeal to teenagers. All he cares about is the technicals and drilling down into the numbers. Absolutely love this guy).

Pretty much the same here, but with ECO mode and undervolting testing.

Techpowerup also put out an article on temperature as compared to various coolers' heat dissipation as compared to CPU frequencies for various numbers of threads.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x-cooling-requirements-thermal-throttling/

When using less than all 32 threads, very little frequency was lost even when using a boxed cooler at exceptionally limited fan speeds. Then when pushing all 32 threads, as long as you have 170-ish watt rated cooler you'll still get approximately 5.1GHz on all threads.

With AMD transitioning CPU frequency to running a GPU-like frequency boost or boost-plus algorithm rather at fixed speeds, this is likely to be the new normal. The big change is that previously everyone had guaranteed standard operating frequencies whereas now silicon lottery combined with available cooling is going to dictate just how fast the CPU will go before overclockers start tuning.

Interesting 7950X performance-to-power analysis that no one else has really done.

(For anyone not familiar with BuildZoid, he's one of the rare tech tubers that isn't one - no fluff, no SENSATIONALIZED?!?! video titles or goofy "shocked face" thumbnails to appeal to teenagers. All he cares about is the technicals and drilling down into the numbers. Absolutely love this guy).

The 7950x efficiency is off the charts.
20221026_110016.jpg

While not identical test configurations, the 7950x outperforms the 5950x at just 75 watts.

Screenshot_20221026-105935_Samsung Internet.jpg

That would put points/watts at just under 400!

Screenshot_20221026-110234_Samsung Internet.jpg

I finally tamed the beast. My 7950x was running 95c in cinebench with clocks dropping to a bit under 5.1ghz

I lapped the bejesus out of it and built a custom loop.

Heat killer IV pro
Alphacool nexxos 45mm rad
Alphacool vp655 D5 pump
6 ek 120mm fans

Now it’s 86c. At 5.38ghz. Need to work on an all core oc now.

Attachments

• 36B243C5-A82D-44D7-9629-F4D2DCDFFDAB.jpeg
    36B243C5-A82D-44D7-9629-F4D2DCDFFDAB.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 0
  • A3DFA6AE-C944-4B0B-B87F-C58DDB094520.jpeg
    A3DFA6AE-C944-4B0B-B87F-C58DDB094520.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 1
Back