AMD Ryzen 7 Real World Gaming

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Brent and I are laying out the AMD Ryzen 7 Real World Gaming Review format. We will be doing 1080p, 1400p, and 4K gaming.

What games do you want to see included in this review?

We want to include some 480 CrossFire games as well. We are waiting for an officially supported list from AMD now as we have not stayed focused on CF/SLI lately.

RoboRecall VR, Serious Sam VR The Last Hope (use those 480x CFX gig in VR).

I do not recommend using any Fiji chip since they are geometry limited at lower resolutions and will not reflect true CPU ability at 1080p or less.

1060 and 480 comparison with DX 12 games (Division, Sniper Elite 4, Hitman 2) would be interesting but not sure of any real worth.

RoboRecall VR, Serious Sam VR The Last Hope (use those 480x CFX gig in VR).

I do not recommend using any Fiji chip since they are geometry limited at lower resolutions and will not reflect true CPU ability at 1080p or less.

1060 and 480 comparison with DX 12 games (Division, Sniper Elite 4, Hitman 2) would be interesting but not sure of any real worth.

This is a non-VR review, and the GPU lineup is figured in already. Just need the game lineup of interest, thanks for your feedback.

When you say those games aren't worth anything, is it because of the game or the fact it's DX12? Thanks for the clarification.

Want to make sure I got your acronyms right, Fallout 4, Sniper Elite 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, Watch Dogs 2 ?

Thanks, I'd prefer the game names spelled out please so we don't confuse them.

My bad, and you are correct, I thought about doing that to smh.

This is a non-VR review, and the GPU lineup is figured in already. Just need the game lineup of interest, thanks for your feedback.

When you say those games aren't worth anything, is it because of the game or the fact it's DX12? Thanks for the clarification.
Sorry for the confusion there, those games are great for DX 12 testing, I just meant comparison between 1060 and 480x using DX 12 on Ryzen. Basically two same class/generation cards. My question is which one can better take advantage of Ryzen today is what I was referring to. A 1600 would seem to be matched more with these two level of cards.

But yes Division, Hitman 2 and Sniper Elite 4 would be top of my list since they represent more of tomorrow games.

Games that can take advantage of lot of multi-thread and single-thread performance in my list are GTA V, Crysis 3, Watch Dogs 2, The Witcher 3.. fallout 4 is great for single threaded performance.

also please some love for us low-ress high refresh guys (1080P 120hz+) do some testing with high-end at that "small" resolution.

Last edited:
Battlefield 1 in multiplayer would be nice, seems to be a great resource hog.

Battlefield 1 (MP), Witcher 3 (expansion), Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Division (DX12), Sniper Elite 4, GTA V, Civilization 6 (very CPU heavy) Tom Clancy Ghost Recon

Please no more Fallout 4, Or Watch Dogs 2, or AOTS....

P.S. Anyway you can do memory speeds when it comes to gaming? Really interested if it scales like some of those questionable youtube videos say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I'm definitely interested in Fallout 4, my experience "playing" it on Ryzen has been one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, to be honest, and I've soldiered my way through 25 hours so far just to see how bad it can actually get. Considering it played great on a $40 socket 1156 xeon, I spend all of my time concentrating on the massive frame drops and incessant microstutter (microstutter might be a bad term, its genuine real stutter). Averages of 10fps are common if the AI is having a battle in your current cell that you can't see. Its awful.

The only thing I can think of like it is the Radeon debacle in Skyrim a few years ago.

I don't have any suggestions for games that haven't already been mentioned but if you test The Witcher 3 my suggestion is to test in the heavily populated areas of Novigrad with NPCs maxed in settings, this really seems to tax CPUs and I'm curious how R7 would fare there in real world tests.

I suggest to have some games from 2015, 2016 and 2017 to see if more recent games perform better or worse relative to the competition.

In addition to those mentioned:
Warhammer 40k: Dawn Of War III (if it releases soon enough)

Rise of Tomb Raider - mainly to get your take on some of the issues that been floating around teh intarwebs as of late

Any of the better more recent DX12 games that seem balanced for both manufacturers, such as Sniper Elite 4 and Gears of War 4, Mafia 3.

I think we are reaching a point where a lot of the older games (even just 12 months ago) will definitely be superceded in terms of game coding and engine design and rendering techniques, even with DX11 such as For Honor.

Possibly makes sense also having additionally one game each for AMD/Nvidia that implements very well some of their tech even if it means the game performs better on one over the other, as long as this is always mentioned in the tests/review benchmarks.

Cheers

Last edited:
How about... Overwatch (or any games listed above) (optional: streaming on Twitch), while browsing inbetween matches with 30 tabs open FF and Chrome (with or without pr0nhub streaming), while video rendering in AE/Premiere.. kthx

Now that's real world.

Dwarf fortress, star control, commander keen (long live dopefish!).

[KB]>We want to include some 480 CrossFire games as well.

Lately, I've been enjoying Zork with my RX480's. Oh, the frames.

Last edited:
Just re-iterating one game that I did not really make clear as an option as I focused more on DX12 related games.

For DX11 I think For Honor needs to be included as it is next gen in the way the code/engine has been updated and revised.
Cheers

For real world gaming I think a good test of ryzen vs its competition would be to perform all the benchmarks while simultaneously running the same load a streaming site like twitch would apply, or even actually streaming to twitch during them.

For real world gaming I think a good test of ryzen vs its competition would be to perform all the benchmarks while simultaneously running the same load a streaming site like twitch would apply, or even actually streaming to twitch during them.

Live benching while streaming on the same system. That's nuts, and such a good idea

Fallout 4
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Total War: Warhammer
Witcher 3
Battlefield
Civilization 6

But I imagine swapping the Fallout/The Witcher or Mass Effect/Battlefield or Warhammer/Civilization for something in a different genre would probably make it more applicable to gamers in general rather than just the things i'd be interested in.

Edit: In fact, just considering the number of resolutions being tested, plus doing it with 480 CF as well as a higher end Nvidia card AND using multiple games I can only imagine the number of man-hours this is going to take.

interesting idea and would actually be pretty fun to watch the entire process live.. maybe stream it to youtube though so that the VOD's can be put kept on hardocp tv easier.

Rise of The Tomb Raider, maybe Deus Ex Mankind Divided (performance seems to be patched and stable, although still runs fairly slow). Metro Last Light Redux? Battlefield 1.

I like games with benchmark tools because we can easily run the same scenario to compare how our system fares.

Back