AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D $299.99

Great price on a great gaming CPU. Zen4 and Raptor Lake have done nothing to make me regret mine.

Just throwing it out there, a 5800X3D doesn't have to replace a 5900/50X... In fact they can compliment each other well and AM4 mobos / used GPUs are cheap right now ;) Fill up your desk with boxes and have multi-core and gaming performance separately.

Great price on a great gaming CPU. Zen4 and Raptor Lake have done nothing to make me regret mine.

Just throwing it out there, a 5800X3D doesn't have to replace a 5900/50X... In fact they can compliment each other well and AM4 mobos / used GPUs are cheap right now ;) Fill up your desk with boxes and have multi-core and gaming performance separately.
That's absurd. I'd much rather somebody rig up and sell me a sort of jukebox system to boot different CPU's on a single board. That way I can be more efficient and cover my desk with one giant box. Rather than multiple s my smaller ones.

Like wise with a tweaked 5900x, backwards move in most ways.
I switched over my 5900x for a 5800x3d last weekend, no regrets so far! I also just game/ office work on my desktop, not a lot of rendering or streaming from it.

For those looking for cheap hardware, look at PC Partpicker right now for US and Canada for Ryzen 5600, 16GB Kingston Fury 3200MHz RAM and Radeon RX 6500 XT. It's all pretty cheap now.

I grabbed one last week and just dropped it in last night to replace my 5600x. Looking forward to putting it to work tonight.
Can you Let me know how you like the boost? I want to grab one before supply dries up... and replace my current non X 5600 chip

Can you Let me know how you like the boost? I want to grab one before supply dries up... and replace my current non X 5600 chip
I upgraded from a 5600x and set my curve optimizer to -30 with PBO2 Tuner. I can maintain 4.5ghz boost on all core @ 65-70c on real world loads. (The OCCT stress test ran at 52c for reference) I don't know how much is placebo but it feels a ton snappier. The cost right now to upgrade vs just buying this CPU to drop in an existing system is what pushed me to go ahead and purchase this. Best bang for buck right now imo.
I would imagine coming from a non X chip you'd feel the upgrade even more.
Best part: Idles at 5w with that -30 offset. Sips power when not in use haha

My 5600 can sustain max boost clocks+200 using PBO2 Tuner for the for almost everything minus OCCT. This can run between 4.5 and 4.6GHZ with peak temps of about 75 using a 240 AIO with fans at a pretty low curve. I will keep an eye on the 5800x3d price. It will pair very nicely with my 6700XT. 1440P and VRR Monitor so I don't need super high refresh rates. I want Stable and consistent performance with great 1% and .1% lows

i just got a plain 5800x...it was a great price, but damn it lol. worth upgrading!?

i just got a plain 5800x...it was a great price, but damn it lol. worth upgrading!?

If you do things that require strong Single thread performance, yes. If not, Eh. I came from a 5600x and it was a huge perceived boost to the games I play that rely on single thread performance. Actual measured levels? No clue, didn't bother. I like the "seat of the pants" measurements.

Like wise with a tweaked 5900x, backwards move in most ways.
Not really. Made the same move. Anywhere from 1% to 20% improvement depending on games. Only issue for gaming was takes maybe 2-4 seconds longer to do shader caching.
Outside of gaming maybe.

Not really. Made the same move. Anywhere from 1% to 20% improvement depending on games. Only issue for gaming was takes maybe 2-4 seconds longer to do shader caching.
Outside of gaming maybe.

'Outside of gaming' is 'most ways'.

Any noticable differences?
Honestly no, I think deep cleaning, windows reinstall and changing from pcie 3 to pcie 4 nvme made a bigger difference. Like MAYBE slightly less stutters in some demanding situations but only slightly.

Is it worth it for gaming to go from a 5800x to this? I mean what are actual fps differences

I can confirm going from a 3600 to a 5800X3D transformed my computer into something else. Its not even the same.

so tempting.....

F it, bought it. probably didn't really need it but it should be a good upgrade for a 3800x.

Last edited:
Read the review and no gains in gaming not worth the hassle..cyberpunk saw increase in fps by 1 in 1440p lol

only worth it if you play the games and have the hardware to take advantage of the performance gain from the cache, if not then the 5800x is good enough.

Thanks. I'm the type of person to make major upgrades not minor ones. For example my current build 5800x came from a 4690k Intel cpu and a 970gtx to a 3070ti lol
Yeah, when I build a system, I usually plan for it to be a longterm one, which is why I'm so incredibly pleased with my 5800X system.
In a way, I almost wish I had gone Intel, just because I think Intel has a slightly more powerful platform in terms of all features and abilities, but even so, AMD won my heart over with excellent benchmarks and a corporate personality that seems more agreeable.

However, I'm still feeling quite troubled regarding the 5800X3D, even at $300.

It's a really nasty upgrade, to go from a 5800X to the 5800X3D. I mean, where is my money running off to with upgrades like that? That's just about sideways.
So I didn't buy it it. But I sure wish I had known the 5800X3D was coming out from the beginning, because then I probably would have planned better and gotten a 3000 series CPU to make an upgrade more affordable.

Yeah, when I build a system, I usually plan for it to be a longterm one, which is why I'm so incredibly pleased with my 5800X system.
In a way, I almost wish I had gone Intel, just because I think Intel has a slightly more powerful platform in terms of all features and abilities, but even so, AMD won my heart over with excellent benchmarks and a corporate personality that seems more agreeable.

However, I'm still feeling quite troubled regarding the 5800X3D, even at $300.

It's a really nasty upgrade, to go from a 5800X to the 5800X3D. I mean, where is my money running off to with upgrades like that? That's just about sideways.
So I didn't buy it it. But I sure wish I had known the 5800X3D was coming out from the beginning, because then I probably would have planned better and gotten a 3000 series CPU to make an upgrade more affordable.
Agreed I think just like you! As you can see above I'm coming from a 4690k and 970gtx to 5800x 3070ti the difference in performance was huge and that's really the only time I plan upgrades.. I got my 5800x awhile back when it was going for 400..I'm not sure what our cpu would sell for considering the 3d model is so cheap. As you said I'm very pleased with this new build and it plays every game I throw at it flawlessly so why change anything lol maybe later on down the road instead of having to get a new mobo ram etc we can just upgrade to the 3d to push a little bit more performance out to not have to do a full on upgrade!

Agreed I think just like you! As you can see above I'm coming from a 4690k and 970gtx to 5800x 3070ti the difference in performance was huge and that's really the only time I plan upgrades.. I got my 5800x awhile back when it was going for 400..I'm not sure what our cpu would sell for considering the 3d model is so cheap. As you said I'm very pleased with this new build and it plays every game I throw at it flawlessly so why change anything lol maybe later on down the road instead of having to get a new mobo ram etc we can just upgrade to the 3d to push a little bit more performance out to not have to do a full on upgrade!

I bet a used 5800X would sell for about $200. And after spending $400 on it, and then another $300, that'd be a total of spending $500 on my CPU. That's just not in my budget hahah.

I was using a friend's RTX 3080 for awhile, and yeah, the CPU never seemed to be the bottleneck. But if I was to upgrade to an RTX 4090 Ti, then finally the CPU might be the bottleneck, which I would actually much prefer.

I bet a used 5800X would sell for about $200. And after spending $400 on it, and then another $300, that'd be a total of spending $500 on my CPU. That's just not in my budget hahah.

I was using a friend's RTX 3080 for awhile, and yeah, the CPU never seemed to be the bottleneck. But if I was to upgrade to an RTX 4090 Ti, then finally the CPU might be the bottleneck, which I would actually much prefer.
Yeah it's too hard to keep up with the latest tech anyways.. Your never going to have the fastest. Something faster is always around the corner. For me personally my setup plays everything so what's the point of upgrading for gains I prob won't notice..i honestly haven't played any demanding game in awhile eventho cyberpunk is still sitting on my hard drive unplayed lol

Yeah it's too hard to keep up with the latest tech anyways.. Your never going to have the fastest. Something faster is always around the corner. For me personally my setup plays everything so what's the point of upgrading for gains I prob won't notice..i honestly haven't played any demanding game in awhile eventho cyberpunk is still sitting on my hard drive unplayed lol
I went 5800X3D because I think it's wasteful not to keep using a perfectly good platform. After selling my 5600X, it was a $200 upgrade. Not bad. I plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 more years, which will give me 5+ years out of my mobo and RAM, which is what I also got out of X99. Also, with X3D versions of AM5 coming out, I wonder if games might start throwing us a few more bones in regards to opitimizing for L3 instead of it just being a way to brute force crap code (for the most part). Maybe I should rephrase. If AMD doesn't start asking for some kind of X3D optimization, and I keep seeing AMD splashed across my screen with half my games, they're idiots.

Back