AMD Ryzen 5000 Processors Allegedly Work With 300 Series Motherboards

erek

[H]F Junkie
"An overclock.net forum user by the name Brko has recently claimed that Zen 3 processors can run on a GIGABYTE X370 motherboard with a beta BIOS and AGESA update. This claim has been partially validated by chm128256m who got a Ryzen 9 5900X to run on his modded ASRock A320M motherboard. AMD is extremely unlikely to officially support this backwards compatibility with 300 series motherboards given their previous statements. It will be interesting to see if any OEMs provide backward compatibility updates and any issues that may arise."

https://www.techpowerup.com/274400/...s-allegedly-work-with-300-series-motherboards

I wonder if Asrock will provide some kind of "beta BIOS" for my old x370 board.
If they did, then the only way they could do it is by only supporting a single 1xxx 2xxx or 3xxx CPU to allow a 5xxx compatible BIOS.
But hey as long as its possible!

If they did, then the only way they could do it is by only supporting a single 1xxx 2xxx or 3xxx CPU to allow a 5xxx compatible BIOS.
That's what the rumors were--there'd be a one-way update that would swap support for the older CPU lines with Zen 3.

This doesn't surprise me. There's not a whole lot of difference between the X370 and X470 and the 4XX boards are getting support.

So is this whole debacle a function of FLASH storage? If AMD is anticipating the same or similar longevity of AM5, I hope motherboard manufacturers have learned their lesson.
All they have to do if they really wanted to support it would be kill all the silly GUI stuff. I'd be fine with text menus again... as an optional 5000 support bios. I would suggest it would make for fewer support tickets anyway... hmm do we drop the fancy GUI or do we drop support for all CPUs but this one. Seems like a no brainer to me.

So is this whole debacle a function of FLASH storage? If AMD is anticipating the same or similar longevity of AM5, I hope motherboard manufacturers have learned their lesson.

Yeah pretty much. The 16MB ROM size is screwing things up. GN had a video about it. Intel uses 16MB because they don't support more than 2 generations anyway, and manufacturers didn't want to pay extra for 32MB ROM during the Zen1 days because AMD was an unknown commodity.

I also heard something about the bios doesn't actually detect more than 16MB anyway even with the 32MB size ROMs. There's some work around they use to allow for more support.

All they have to do if they really wanted to support it would be kill all the silly GUI stuff. I'd be fine with text menus again... as an optional 5000 support bios. I would suggest it would make for fewer support tickets anyway... hmm do we drop the fancy GUI or do we drop support for all CPUs but this one. Seems like a no brainer to me.
I'm with you - I loved the old blue/white/yellow text based BIOS.

Doubt motherboard makers will officially support this since they can just sell new boards. Someone did something similar with intel and the older boards too right? Did anything come out of that as far as official support?

The BIOS teams at ASRock seem like a special breed. They seem to have a flexibility and willingness to do hacky stuff that other companies don't have a similar tolerance for.

My office desktop still uses a Z77 Extreme because it supports NVME.

The BIOS teams at ASRock seem like a special breed. They seem to have a flexibility and willingness to do hacky stuff that other companies don't have a similar tolerance for.

My office desktop still uses a Z77 Extreme because it supports NVME.
I like my ASRock X570 Steel Legend, Fatal1ty B350 Gaming ITX/ac, and blower style 5700XT .. and liked my X470 Master SLI .. BUTT! ..

..last 2 BIOS releases for the Steel Legend have been trash

This is welcome news. The reason I was holding off on Zen 3 was because I didn't want to move from my great x370 with which in very happy.

They could probably add the whole range if they dropped their ridiculous GUI BIOS and went back to a text mode BIOS, or even something like Dell with simple menu driven BIOSes.

All of their flashy graphical buttons, graphs, web browser, music player, rotating fan graphics and other useless crap eats tons of EEPROM space that could otherwise go to supporting more CPUs.

You don't see it happening much on Intel's side because they artificially segment the market every couple of years, so motherboard vendors don't have to worry about running out of space since they only have to support a handful of parts.

They could probably add the whole range if they dropped their ridiculous GUI BIOS and went back to a text mode BIOS, or even something like Dell with simple menu driven BIOSes.

All of their flashy graphical buttons, graphs, web browser, music player, rotating fan graphics and other useless crap eats tons of EEPROM space that could otherwise go to supporting more CPUs.

You don't see it happening much on Intel's side because they artificially segment the market every couple of years, so motherboard vendors don't have to worry about running out of space since they only have to support a handful of parts.

I fondly recollect the days when I could pick up a new mobo BIOS settings and figure out the settings within 5 minutes. And they were somewhat standardized: Abit, EVGA, Asus, Foxconn, Biostar... they all looked generally the same. I went into my Gigabyte x370 the other day because I was just looking for memory timings and had to navigate through 4 screens and menus to get there, then another modal window to edit -- the UI is absolute garbage.

At most, I'd just have a search and a simple grid with inline menus to change everything. I would honestly look at having a simple BIOS setting screen as a selling feature.

Back