AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and planet coaster

ng4ever

2[H]4U
Does anyone have this processor and ever play this game?What kind of fps do you get in a filled up park with say 5000 to 9000 guests not on pause?

If you don't have the game and you have this processor or faster i guess I will gift the base game to you if you feel like downloading and installing it to find out.

If not big big deal.Plus you have to download a large park from steam workshop with 5000 to 9000 guests already.

Basically what I am trying to find out if upgrading to a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X from a Intel i7 7700k is worth it for Planet Coaster.

I had a 7700k 5Ghz and went up to a 5600x. Same video card and memory. Vermintide 2 saw a jump from 144 fps avg to 201fps avg @1440p maxed out. GPU bound games won't see much uplift, but cpu bound ones will see a huge boost.

I have a 3900X and while I don't have any parks with 5000+ guests, The largest park that I've made is around 4000~

The game is heavily, heavily CPU restricted and upgrading from my 1700 to a 3900X was a massive increase in performance. At 4000 guests at 4k resolution I'm steady at around 30FPS, All 24 threads are being used and my CPU usage is about 50%.
The FPS seems tied to a single thread for whatever reason, so IPC is king for keeping framerates higher - though having more threads makes the game way, way smoother and more stable, especially when you have a bajillion objects.

I'm sure that the difference from a 7700k to a 5600 would be pretty substantial.

Does anyone have this processor and ever play this game?What kind of fps do you get in a filled up park with say 5000 to 9000 guests not on pause?

If you don't have the game and you have this processor or faster i guess I will gift the base game to you if you feel like downloading and installing it to find out.

If not big big deal.Plus you have to download a large park from steam workshop with 5000 to 9000 guests already.

Basically what I am trying to find out if upgrading to a AMD Ryzen 5 5600X from a Intel i7 7700k is worth it for Planet Coaster.
I can test this for you with a 5800x. Not sure if this would be useful for you? Will need to wait until I'm back from vacation though -- early Jan.

I'm back at home. Is there a scenario or something you want me to test? This is in my steam backlog at the moment, so I don't have any parks setup.

Ok so I grabbed that park & did a short video...like 25-30fps with the default 1800 guests. If it's easy to increase this, let me know and I'll retry.

Here is the video. Specs in sig. Edit: Did it on the Windows box w/ 5800x.

Last edited:
There is not a game on the planet made for PC that the 5600x cant handle. Its actually one of the fastest gaming CPUs out. Although I dont own this game, youd be hard pressed to find a faster gaming cpu. Maybe when the 11900k Intel comes out.

Last edited:
There is not a game on the planet made for PC that the 5600x cant handle. Its actually one of the fastest gaming CPUs out. Although I dont own this game, youd be hard pressed to find a faster gaming cpu. Maybe when the 11900k Intel comes out.
Yeah, that's not a true statement.
You need to actually play some of these high end simulation games before making blanket statements like that.
-----

I'm partially beginning to think that the 30fps may be an engine limitation if the 5900X is showing similar performance to my 3900X, but there's a lot of graphical settings and I know a few of them do impact framerate even if the GPU isn't maxed out.

I know the performance isn't based purely upon guests but based upon how many objects are in the map, and that 1800 guest park looks like it went all out on objects, those skyscrapers had to take an absolute ton of em.

I'll look into it if I have time.

Yeah, that's not a true statement.
You need to actually play some of these high end simulation games before making blanket statements like that.
-----

I'm partially beginning to think that the 30fps may be an engine limitation if the 5900X is showing similar performance to my 3900X, but there's a lot of graphical settings and I know a few of them do impact framerate even if the GPU isn't maxed out.

I know the performance isn't based purely upon guests but based upon how many objects are in the map, and that 1800 guest park looks like it went all out on objects, those skyscrapers had to take an absolute ton of em.

I'll look into it if I have time.

Oh ffs whatever then get a 3990x then and be done with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: travm
like this
I would LOVE to see planet coaster benchmarks on a 3990X honestly. I've been hoping to see how threadripper handles it since threadripper was announced.

Ok so I grabbed that park & did a short video...like 25-30fps with the default 1800 guests. If it's easy to increase this, let me know and I'll retry.

Here is the video. Specs in sig. Edit: Did it on the Windows box w/ 5800x.

I have 2 new huge Planet Coaster parks from Steam workshop for you to try if you still can please ? The parks alone even without any guests will bring any pc or processor to its knees. Fair warning. It may take a few minutes to load them in game as well.

I would be surprised if you get 30 fps in them at any time. Heck even 25 fps. I would hope for 30 fps but it is doubtful. :(

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1547513514&searchtext=tragic+kingdom

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2097097878

Thank you.

Sorry for the long delay for new parks to try on your new system!

Also if possible try these parks with at least minimum 5000 guests too if it doesn't crash or cause your game to become a slideshow :( If it already has to low performance because of the size of the parks don't worry about it.

I'll do my best to give these a try tomorrow. I know I'm not who you asked but it's been too long since I played planet coaster.

I'll do my best to give these a try tomorrow. I know I'm not who you asked but it's been too long since I played planet coaster.

Thank you. It is ok. Anyone is fine. What processor do you have again? sorry.

Anecdotal - but my son plays this game a lot on my 5820K @ 4.2 GHz with a RTX 3080 and it does, indeed, chug on larger parks. He downloads parks from Steam Workshop all the time. He is about to inherit a 9900KS or 10900K rig and from the looks of things that should really help with performance.

Also not the original responder, but figured I could add a datapoint (borrowed the game from son's library to see :) ). 5900x (memory at 3600), GTX 1080 video, nvme ssd.

Century Park was ~30 fps solid. (default 1800 people in park)
Tragic Kingdom was 10-13 fps. (~5000 people in park)
Dania was 10-13 fps. (~5000 people in park)
bumped gfx settings up to ultra, and down to low, with no major difference in fps. task mgr was showing cpu load in the 40-50% range.

hope that's helpful.

They really should of used DX12 for this game. (Unless it already uses dx11 forgot but i thought DX10 i could be wrong)
Also not the original responder, but figured I could add a datapoint (borrowed the game from son's library to see :) ). 5900x (memory at 3600), GTX 1080 video, nvme ssd.

Century Park was ~30 fps solid. (default 1800 people in park)
Tragic Kingdom was 10-13 fps. (~5000 people in park)
Dania was 10-13 fps. (~5000 people in park)
bumped gfx settings up to ultra, and down to low, with no major difference in fps. task mgr was showing cpu load in the 40-50% range.

hope that's helpful.

Wow that sucks with Tragic Kingdom and Dania :( I was hoping for at least 20 fps or even 25 fps. Was crossing fingers. Oh well. I guess it would be without 5000 people but what the point of playing the game then ?

I wish there was a way to increase performance with such large parks and so many people!

Oh well.

Will try again in 2 to 5 year I guess lol.

I know my i7 7700k would get murdered with Tragic Kingdom and Dania plus 5000 guests. I bet 5 fps or less.

Not having played PC before (I'll poke around with it more, now that I've got it loaded :) ), I may not be doing it right, but in those parks, at least, it definitely seemed to be something more about the parks and architecture/layout rather than the number of people. (i.e. didn't notice a difference in fps between 2k and 6k people in the park). Task manager appeared to have a few slammed threads at 100%, a few at 60-80%, and then a bunch at basically 0 (mostly the 2nd logical core on each were left empty).

And, you weren't kidding about the slow loading time on those parks!

Not having played PC before (I'll poke around with it more, now that I've got it loaded :) ), I may not be doing it right, but in those parks, at least, it definitely seemed to be something more about the parks and architecture/layout rather than the number of people. (i.e. didn't notice a difference in fps between 2k and 6k people in the park). Task manager appeared to have a few slammed threads at 100%, a few at 60-80%, and then a bunch at basically 0 (mostly the 2nd logical core on each were left empty).

And, you weren't kidding about the slow loading time on those parks!

Thank you honestly I just guessed have not tried it on my older system yet.

Though upgrading to a 5900x won't help me sadly :(

Even if it could good luck finding one xD

My 3900X is only getting about 10-15fps in tragic kingdom, and thats with zero guests, and about 10 fps in Dania, thouigh that one didn't load correctly for me because I'm missing DLC (apparently.)

My GPU never even hit 50% load.

I think the number of objects is just too damn high, never seen performance that poor in any of my own parks.

My 3900X is only getting about 10-15fps in tragic kingdom, and thats with zero guests, and about 10 fps in Dania, thouigh that one didn't load correctly for me because I'm missing DLC (apparently.)

My GPU never even hit 50% load.

I think the number of objects is just too damn high, never seen performance that poor in any of my own parks.

:eek:

Do you all think any CPU right now could handle this game and these parks at minimum 20 or 25 even 30 fps with guests ? Or no ?

Back