AMD Ryzen 5 5600G and Ryzen 7 5700G In-Stock @ B&H

Yeah, if my GTX 960 HTPC suddenly died in me, the 5600G is what I would replace it with. The performance is close enough to my current card that I could be happy waiting a couple years for discrete prices to fall.

But right now, I'm hoping it lasts until discretes droop back down to msrp by early next year.

I remember back in the day Intel going on about how their integrated graphics did other stuff that boosted performance even if you weren't using it, and I tested it, and it did, in fact boost performance for some work loads.

Is AMD doing anything to that effect? I haven't heard anything, and I'm assuming they are not, but I'll happily be wrong about that. Is there a reason to get an APU if you're not going to use its integrated graphics?

I remember back in the day Intel going on about how their integrated graphics did other stuff that boosted performance even if you weren't using it, and I tested it, and it did, in fact boost performance for some work loads.

Is AMD doing anything to that effect? I haven't heard anything, and I'm assuming they are not, but I'll happily be wrong about that. Is there a reason to get an APU if you're not going to use its integrated graphics?

I vaguely remember Intel having a statement about that, but it was probably OpenCL acceleration. AMD started supporting OpenCL in their HD 2000 series, and offered full support in their HD 4000 series in 2008 and every GPU of theirs since then.

I've used their older Bulldozer based APUs for OpenCL acceleration (A8-5600K, A10-5800K and A8-6600), and it worked well even back then. Things like video transcoding times were drastically reduced when using the APUs IGP. But you need explicit support within the application for OpenCL, and workloads within the application be OpenCL specific to take advantage of it being available. Normal x86 applications won't benefit, neither will they benefit if you just recompiled them and made them OpenCL aware, you have to write code that uses it explicitly.

I find it rather odd these APU's support PCI-E 3.0 rather than PCI-E 4.0 which doesn't really make sense since AMD has supported PCI-E 4.0 since Zen 2 CPU's.

I vaguely remember Intel having a statement about that, but it was probably OpenCL acceleration. AMD started supporting OpenCL in their HD 2000 series, and offered full support in their HD 4000 series in 2008 and every GPU of theirs since then.
Correct, though the HD 4000 iGPUs were released with Ivy Bridge in 2012. ;)

Also available direct from AMD.
Yep got mine from there. was easy. grabbed a b550 for 83 bucks from amazon MSI B550M PRO and should make up for an okay computer with built in GPU. Gotta get rid of the 3600 and x570 board from older build now.

Yeah, these are too expensive IMHO. You could get a 10400 from some PCPP location + 1650 Windforce from a seller which had about 185 of them in stock for like 170 bucks, and that would come for similar price as the 5700g. AMD is overpricing these things just like most of their other CPUs.

Yeah, these are too expensive IMHO. You could get a 10400 from some PCPP location + 1650 Windforce from a seller which had about 185 of them in stock for like 170 bucks, and that would come for similar price as the 5700g. AMD is overpricing these things just like most of their other CPUs.
Wouldn't it make more sense to compare that combo to a 5600G since both the 10400 and 5600G would be six cores instead of the 5700G which has eight cores? So $259 for the 5600G doesn't look too bad compared to a slower 10400 w/ GTX 1650 that's non-existent.

Maybe, I was contemplating an older setup that could have been built for like esports gaming purposes, as you don't really need 8 cores for that. Even more intensive gaming can very well be done on 6 cores anyway.

Back