AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler $99.99 Microcenter

With AMD making these so cheap, they are going to have everyone upgrading to zen+.

At this point, 6 core cpus should be a minimum.

Two cores are enough for the vast majority of end users, including lightweight gaming. I've done it.

Six are enough for nearly every gaming scenario, and thus, nearly anything else.

The main reason we have more at lower costs is that it's simply not economical to make less at larger quantities at this time. Even the Atom in my fanless PC has four cores, lol.

Two cores are enough for the vast majority of end users, including lightweight gaming. I've done it.

Six are enough for nearly every gaming scenario, and thus, nearly anything else.

The main reason we have more at lower costs is that it's simply not economical to make less at larger quantities at this time. Even the Atom in my fanless PC has four cores, lol.

I'm at the point I'm building R5-1600AF (v2) processors (when they are going for $85 shipped on amazon) for replacement systems at my office and they have a lower TDP than the older i7's they're replacing. Should be good for YEARS to come!

Core minimum really depends on game genre. MMOs eat cores and threads like candy, even if much of the time it's due to poor optimization.

I'd love to upgrade, but my 4770k works just fine sitting in a corner while I browse the internet on my phone in bed. 1600 AF is so cheap that I kind of just want to do it for fun.

I'd love to upgrade, but my 4770k works just fine sitting in a corner while I browse the internet on my phone in bed.
Kind of where I lie to, except I have a 4690k, so no hyperthreading. Thinking back, could I get better frame rates/detail in GTA5 if I upgrade my CPU and GPU? Yeah sure maybe but... how often am I going to play it. I'm not a gamer, I'm a dad, I'm lucky to get 30 minutes of quiet time to play during the day so I need games I can get in and out quickly.

The 4770K is still a stout cpu. Though, I am happy to move onto newer stuff.

The 2600 I had was a wonderful gamer. Shame this 2600X deal didn't show up a few years earlier

Don't forget to get a 20$ discount on certain mobos. They have a cheap 450 board by Asus in micro atx for 69$ so it would be 50$. Not a bad deal for 150$.

First, with the consoles being 8 core for so long now, most games can/do take advantage of more than 4 cores. I mean hell I remember seeing BF3 maxing out all 8 cores on my shitdozer 8150 back in the day. So I know it's a long time coming. With the 1600AF and 2600 so effing cheap, for a gaming machine, you should just start with 6 cores and go from there as budget permits.

Got extra cash? Go 8 cores.

This is a great deal at $99. Pair this with a 1080 or 2060 super, maybe even a 1660 ti and you should be getting a 100+ FPS at 1080p

Back