AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G Launch Today

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome results. Might be able to build your own small-ish gaming console now.

Hmm. This shows promise for their portable/laptop cpu.

Bodes well for a Media Computer, too.

Already up on Microcenter's site, but no bundles yet. I think we'll see something in the $130 or less range for a 2200G and motherboard. This would be great news for budget builders/gamers, but ram is still too stupidly expensive, and you want DDR4 3000+ to make the APUs shine.

$99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler
$169 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

The $159 Ryzen 5 1500x suddenly becomes a hard sell when you can get a good APU for $10 more and can skip the dedicated video card (also hard to come by ATM)... but at $199 with a bundled motherboard is a little more attractive. I think when MC gets their bundles rolling the 1500x and lesser Ryzens will start hitting the fire sale bin.

I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy when it comes to bargain power, but I've never understood their "race to the bottom" pricing structure... the $99 R3 220G basically eliminates everything 1400 and lower. That's a lot of SKUs to displace. Eh, what do I know, I'm not a marketing genius

so 400mhz bump vs. the 1400, if we get that or similar across the board the 2xxx series ryzens will be very competitive. 2800x at 4.0 base 4.4 turbo +100mhz xfr out of the box would be pretty amazing.

How is the performance (assuming those numbers are out there yet)? Worthy enough to make the move to a new platform and stop-gap enough until you can get a discrete GPU..

Great CPU for a family computer or a media center that can do a little gaming. I hope they are able to strap something a little faster on the next chip.

How is the performance (assuming those numbers are out there yet)? Worthy enough to make the move to a new platform and stop-gap enough until you can get a discrete GPU..

It is okay, Tech Power Up's review had the most hard numbers. I wouldn't use it as a stop gap though because the discrete GPU cripples the PCIe bandwidth. It can only do 8x.

Hmm. 1080p gaming. On a Single Screen Gaming System, this cpu is more than a viable candidate. No video card necessary? Less costs? Look at what you can do with this: You can buy and part a simple and CHEAP PC that can game well @ 1080p - Look at the Costs of a 1080p Monitor. You can get a good one for $99.
Suddenly, you can build a good AND cheap PC that can game means more people getting into the DIY market - which benefits all of us on this Forum. It also means you can build a good system for family, and friends that will do more then they need... and they can afford.

I dont have kids, but just think, you can build one with your child, and get them interested in tech.

It is okay, Tech Power Up's review had the most hard numbers. I wouldn't use it as a stop gap though because the discrete GPU cripples the PCIe bandwidth. It can only do 8x.

Found the #'s... Thanks!

Looks like it is a tick slightly below an RX 550 / GT 1030 in performance

Time to retire the Sandybridge in the inlaws, the rents, and all of them family it leeches' computers.

Hmm. This shows promise for their portable/laptop cpu.

Bodes well for a Media Computer, too.

Yep, Real performance increase comes with DDR5 again, I do not think HBM\dedicated vram will ever be present on any apu for the time being, 4X intel IGP, good threadcount, OC capability, seems like great memory comp ability (3466 easily done) R X 1XXX only does 3200 as easy feat(after end of april ~)

8X is not a bottleneck!
1080TI doesn't really bottleneck on 8X.

Found the #'s... Thanks!

Looks like it is a tick slightly below an RX 550 / GT 1030 in performance
It's sometimes above the GT1030 as a 50\50
Look at hardware unboxed, looks like a great awesome chip.
Needs memory speed tho, feed it memory and you will be rewarded :)

Where does it say the TIM has changed??
and the PR material seems to have information of TIM due to cost (they admit it) and lets hope they keep solder for the non APU models onwards in zen+ :D

Read through a bunch of the reviews, seems like a homerun for the entry level/ HTPC/ ITX crowd. Internet Cafes are going to scoop these up as well, Its too bad DDR4 prices are what they are currently (hoping for a crash there). Think its time to selloff my G3258 and move back to AMD. An HTPC with a 2200G Clocked to 4.0/1400 sounds pretty good!

I agree they just nullified anything Ryzen 1500 and below, but the Ryzen+ chips are inbound too, so they know what they are doing. Lots of good upcoming products, Lisa Su is killin it...

Cool. I'm a hardcore intel guy when it comes to my machines, but I might try one of these. I did buy a fx chip to build for someone and enjoyed building it, so I might try the 2200 for my daughters new machine. Anyone have an idea what the equivalent gpu is suppose to be in the 2200? She currently has a i5-2400 and a 730 in her machine.

This seems to be a great starter gaming setup. Wonder how cheap you could get a 1080p/720p "pseudo console" setup?

As long as you have a board with good BIOS updates, this looks like a great route to go for a starter system/secondary system. Avoid a A320 board (so one can OC a smidge) and the future upgrade path looks good for a bit. Still sucks bawls that DDR4 is extra ouchy, esp at 3200+ speeds.

This is a really good move by AMD.

No worry about miners grabbing them all.

I still prefer a discreet gpu (as I am sure many here do).

Nice! I am going to have to get one of these. Thinking more inline with a Linux build, 1080p. Have to see how well it is supported in Linux first.

.. but are they still vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown?

Just FYI, some people tested a 2400G at 4ghz in uniginie valley. averaged 30fps, my RX 560 2gb 1295/1800 averaged 54fps. The RX560 games better then you might expect, but for me to be REALLY excited about these APUS they would need to average 45fps in uniginie valley.

Already up on Microcenter's site, but no bundles yet. I think we'll see something in the $130 or less range for a 2200G and motherboard. This would be great news for budget builders/gamers, but ram is still too stupidly expensive, and you want DDR4 3000+ to make the APUs shine.

$99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler
$169 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...M4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Stealth_Cooler

The $159 Ryzen 5 1500x suddenly becomes a hard sell when you can get a good APU for $10 more and can skip the dedicated video card (also hard to come by ATM)... but at $199 with a bundled motherboard is a little more attractive. I think when MC gets their bundles rolling the 1500x and lesser Ryzens will start hitting the fire sale bin.

I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy when it comes to bargain power, but I've never understood their "race to the bottom" pricing structure... the $99 R3 220G basically eliminates everything 1400 and lower. That's a lot of SKUs to displace. Eh, what do I know, I'm not a marketing genius

Yeah, well the thing about it is for people building new systems, you are buying 8gb of DDR4 RAM anyway. So that's why it's pretty amazing, that system memory does double duty for both CPU and iGPU. But if you already have 8gb DDR3 that's 1.35v, then you can pick up an LGA 1150 motherboard with DDR3 support and an RX 550.

I don't know what the ideal budget recommendation would be for people with 8gb DDR3 1.5v?

Just read the review on Guru 3D, looks a decent product for HTPC. Its a shame that you can't run APU/GPU crossfire type setup, that would give some good graphics performance for not much money. Maybe somebody will engineer a driver to do this ?

.. but are they still vulnerable to Spectre and Meltdown?

Meltdown does not affect AMD chips. Spectre i'm curious about this too, i assume there's no hardware fix in these so it's on the motherboard side to have the bios update to fix it.

This is a really good move by AMD.

No worry about miners grabbing them all.

I wouldn't immediately assume that. Mining systems tend to focus on Celeron and Pentium's in the $40-$80 range - and they don't generate any revenue on their own. If miners find they can pay a little more for a $99 Ryzen 3 2200G that does generate revenue, then I can see it eventually becoming popular as the basis of mining builds.

That said, there won't be any sudden run on these due to miners. The $40 Celeron based builds have too much inertia on the "mining build guide" parts lists that the annoying youtubers and bloggers regurgitate ad nauseum and the herd follows faithfully.

Last edited:
I wouldn't immediately assume that. Mining systems tend to focus on Celeron and Pentium's in the $40-$80 range - and they don't generate any revenue on their own. If miners find they can pay a little more for a $99 Ryzen 3 2200G that does generate revenue, then I can see it eventually becoming popular as the basis of mining builds.

That said, there won't be any sudden run on these due to miners. The $40 Celeron based builds have too much inertia on the "mining build guide" parts lists that the annoying youtubers and bloggers regurgitate ad nauseum and the herd follows faithfully.

While true a miner might want 1 per system/mobo - I dont see miners picking them up 8-16 at a time to stick in pci-e expanders.

If someone does the numbers and decides the cost of the mobo/cpu is covered by the additional work done by the built in gpu - sure they will switch as upgrades are processed but not at nearly the same numbers.

Depending on the game, not bad.

One YouTube channel had a 10 hour stream covering a lot of games/software, was linked here yesterday? Some titles are capable of 1080, med/high setting and can pull between 50-60 FPS. Now I did not watch every game, but would assume most would run at the 40+ FPS range.

Yeah, well the thing about it is for people building new systems, you are buying 8gb of DDR4 RAM anyway. So that's why it's pretty amazing, that system memory does double duty for both CPU and iGPU. But if you already have 8gb DDR3 that's 1.35v, then you can pick up an LGA 1150 motherboard with DDR3 support and an RX 550.

I don't know what the ideal budget recommendation would be for people with 8gb DDR3 1.5v?
if you have 8GB ddr3 (4x2gb) I would refrain from going through the torture of spending the money on DDR3 -> 16gb which is already legacy.
I do not know what you can do in win10 with 8gb memory, I usually sit between 11-13 gb when "idling around in windows"
regardless of cpu on DDR3 you chose a Modern nice 4\8t system will perform great due to DDR4 giving you That much more performance.
Most of the difference between 2600K -> 6700K can be attributed to memory controller throughout the DDR3 era and then finally DDR4

If one has :
16gb of ddr3 on a sub 2600K cpu like 1055T yes LGA1150 makes sense but DDR3 is also very expensive like DDR4 and even worse value.
Or 2x4gb and possibility of additional 2x4gb for 16gb, already has fast DDR3 (1600++ mhz ) it's also up for discussion with yourself ;)

If the build is decent I could see miners wanting these units as well. But by the same token I don't hear about miners buying Intel CPU's with on board Graphics units either.

Windows 10 itself works just fine with 8G of RAM (even just 4) - most RAM is allocated by SYSTEM as disk cache until needed by something else anyway.

If the build is decent I could see miners wanting these units as well. But by the same token I don't hear about miners buying Intel CPU's with on board Graphics units either.

After reading a few mining performance reviews, there definitely won't be a run on these for mining purposes. The cost/revenue ratio isn't there, so the cheap Intels will continue to reign.

I'd really like to see integrated graphics continue to get more powerful, as its just barely starting to scratch the surface of playability. I'm curious what Raja's influence and contribution over at Intel will be in this market segment.

Fact remains you can still buy a cheap $50 Intel CPU + discrete $119 GPU for the same price as the 2400G, but get far better gaming performance. For tiny SFF builds I can see this being an attractive option though.

Last edited:
Looks like the Ryzen 3 would be a good replacement for my old Haswell Celeron Linux machine. Too bad I can't get this in the same form factor, Just have to find a mini-itx case that I like.

Windows 10 itself works just fine with 8G of RAM (even just 4) - most RAM is allocated by SYSTEM as disk cache until needed by something else anyway.

I tried it on my Haswell i7-4700MQ with 8gb (DC) and it was really sluggish imho, installed ubuntu and it was a lot better when staying under 15 web browser tabs.

Just read the review on Guru 3D, looks a decent product for HTPC. Its a shame that you can't run APU/GPU crossfire type setup, that would give some good graphics performance for not much money. Maybe somebody will engineer a driver to do this ?

You would need to use a Vega bases dgpu. So if you're going to spend that kind of money the r5 1600/2600 would probably be a better buy then to try and run hybrid xfire.

One thing I read in the reviews is that while the RAM is shared by the system memory, it is effectively RESERVED for GPU duty. So if you set your GPU memory to 2gb (I'd think 1gb or less is plenty fine for desktop, only 2gb for gaming) that 2gb is GONE. Your 8gb system just became a 6gb system. Still probably fine to run Win10 and some games. I think the Intel iGPU dynamically allocates as needed.

Even if in some way these things mined well (and since it's equiv to a 550 / GT1030, I seriously doubt it), I would think the cost of RAM would scare any miners away. Why would you want a $300+ APU system that probably does half as well as 1 single $300 video card (if you could find one, but I digress). Plus power, etc. I'd assume this is a non starter for serious mining interests.

Please, everyone, stop the stupid mining talk. I know it is a hot topic right now, but in regards to these APU's it is a non issue. GPU mining is all about memory bandwidth which these fantastic chips do not offer. Let us stick to the actual pro/cons and skip the dumb-ass. Mmmkay?

Back