AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APUs performance unveiled

We can finally share the official performance charts for upcoming Raven Ridge APUs.

33js4dc.jpg

1zcpwe0.jpg

AMD is also announcing new virtual SSD application for Ryzen systems.

2cxyiwk.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-and-ryzen-3-2200g-apus-performance-unveiled

Last edited:
I hope to see AMD get their raven ridge APUs in as many OEM desktop and laptop systems as they can.

Looking promising.

Looks like the 2400G is going to be a little pocket rocket out of the gate with Vega 11. Perfect small form factor systems for the mainstream desktop.

"Best in class eSports performance". *Looks at framerates under 60fps*. Um, OK.

Joking aside, that's still pretty nice for integrated GPU.

In terms of FuzeDrive, that already existed, I guess AMD just licensed from them. See here for example:
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...sh-performance-without-full-cost-flash-array/

Basically, you setup your system with 1 SSD and 1 HDD, and the software intelligently caches frequently used files onto the SSD and moves unpopular files to the HDD.

It's the same principle as the Seagate SSHD drive (which I use, and are great) but this may be an even better solution as you can utilize larger cache sizes.

Also, totally read the title as FuzzDrive and thought it was some sort of hacking scheme.

"Best in class eSports performance". *Looks at framerates under 60fps*. Um, OK.

Joking aside, that's still pretty nice for integrated GPU.

In terms of FuzeDrive, that already existed, I guess AMD just licensed from them. See here for example:
http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-n...sh-performance-without-full-cost-flash-array/

Basically, you setup your system with 1 SSD and 1 HDD, and the software intelligently caches frequently used files onto the SSD and moves unpopular files to the HDD.

It's the same principle as the Seagate SSHD drive (which I use, and are great) but this may be an even better solution as you can utilize larger cache sizes.

Also, totally read the title as FuzzDrive and thought it was some sort of hacking scheme.

The part of the fuzedrive used as cache is clear but is it on a device level (takes the whole device) Or does it work with logical volumes where you would be able to assign a formated drive and partition it.

Using the SSD to cache stuff sounds great but it can only work well if it does not swap files at a stupendous rate that would kill the SSD.

Btw official and videocardz doesn't really go hand in hand with eachother .

That, I don't know. I just did a bit of research today after seeing this thread.

looking good.. can't wait to build a new htpc to throw this into.

$20 is not a bad deal, if it does what it claims, but I probably won't bother with it for stability reasons.

Though AMD might not use the term APU anymore, that’s what we are looking at today. The Ryzen + Vega processor (single die implementation, to be clear) for desktop solutions will begin shipping February 12 and will bring high-performance integrated graphics to low cost PCs. Fully titled the “AMD Ryzen Desktop Processor with Radeon Vega Graphics”, this new processor will utilize the same AM4 socket and motherboards that have been shipping since March of 2017. Finally, a good use for those display outputs!

Though enthusiasts might have little interest in these parts, it is an important step for AMD. Building a low-cost PC with a Ryzen CPU has been difficult due to the requirement of a discrete graphics card. Nearly all of Intel’s processors have integrated graphics, and though we might complain about the performance it provides in games, the truth is that the value of not needing another component is crucial for reducing costs.

Without an APU that had both graphics and the company’s greatly improved Zen CPU architecture, AMD was leaving a lot of potential sales on the table. Also, the market for entry-level gaming in small form factor designs is significant.

Two models will be launching: the Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G. Clock speeds are higher than what exists on the Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 3 1200 and match the core and thread count. The 2400G includes 11 Compute Units (704 stream processors) and the 2200G has 8 CUs (512 stream processors). The TDP of both is 65 watts.

The pricing configuration gives AMD some impressive placement. The $169 Ryzen 5 2400G will offer much better graphics performance than the $30 more expensive Core i5-8400 (based on current pricing) and has equivalent performance to the $100+ higher Core i5-8400 and NVIDIA GT 1030 discrete solution.

When looking at CPU performance, the new Ryzen processors offer higher scores than the units they are replacing. They do this while adding Vega graphics capability and matching or lower prices.

AMD even went as far to show the overclocking headroom that the Ryzen APU can offer. During an on-site demo we saw the Ryzen 5 2400G improve its 3DMark score by 39% with memory frequency and GPU clock speed increases. Moving the GPU clock from ~1100 MHz to 1675 MHz will mean a significant increase in power consumption, and I do question the size of the audience that wants to overclock an APU. Still – cool to see!

The Ryzen CPU with Vega graphics is a product we all expected to see, it’s the first perfect marriage of AMD’s revitalized CPU division and its considerable advantage in integrated graphics. It has been a long time since one of AMD’s APUs appeared interesting to me and stoked my desire to build a low-cost, mainstream gaming build. Looks for reviews in just a few short weeks!

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/CES-2018-AMD-Ryzen-Desktop-CPU-Ryzen-Graphics-Coming-Feb-12

What I don't understand is this: With Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G replacing the Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 3 1200, why is AMD keeping the Ryzen 5 1500X and Ryzen 3 1300X?

It's probably fine. Lots of times old chips stay on the market for a bit, even when the next gen comes out.

What I don't understand is this: With Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G replacing the Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 3 1200, why is AMD keeping the Ryzen 5 1500X and Ryzen 3 1300X?

because not everyone wants an APU or needs one so the 1300/1500x(2300/2500x) still fill that void for 4/4 and 4/8 processors.

I was hoping for more than 11 vega cores, but tis may do with the overclockability of the gpu. They managed almost double my a12-9800 firestrike score, and that was stock cpu speed from what I gather.

3600 mhz ram support sure is nice! Overall, it looks to be a good upgrade for me.

The 2400g looks to be a 1500x with a Vega gpu. Even though these are 2000 seies Ryzen cpus, I am thinking they are Summit based and not Pinnacle based.
Well, summit ridge is the current process, Ryzen mobile is a monolithic chip with the Vega GPU integrated into die. 14nmLPP process, so still on the older litho process. 12nm will probably have variants later in the year.

I was hoping for more than 11 vega cores, but tis may do with the overclockability of the gpu. They managed almost double my a12-9800 firestrike score, and that was stock cpu speed from what I gather.

3600 mhz ram support sure is nice! Overall, it looks to be a good upgrade for me.
Due to the monolithic nature of the die there are only 11 compute cores. I remember a story about Vega 11 certification. Well, this is it, an APU. Other certifications or rumored product lines are Vega 28 and Vega 32. I was wondering if these are APUs also or Polaris replacements.

Well, summit ridge is the current process, Ryzen mobile is a monolithic chip with the Vega GPU integrated into die. 14nmLPP process, so still on the older litho process. 12nm will probably have variants later in the year.

Aren't these the same as the 2700u and 2500u (minus attendant clock/power consumption differences)? Not sure if they've made any of the cache/memory controller improvements that are on Zen+ or if it's just 2xxx in name only. It might make sense that's the case - 1xxx parts are original Zen, the 2xxx igp parts have the Zen+ cache and memory controller improvements at 14nm, and the non igp 2xxx parts are full Zen+ (12nm).

Fuze drivel will not make games load any faster im sorry.

This has been tested. An nvme is significantly faster than an ssd and yet games load at the same speed as an ssd as an nvme as a ram disk. Nothing new here.

Game loading is literally throttled by the cpus ability to decompress game files and commit them to ram and gpu vram.

Its another gimmick just like optane or Intels old ssd caching algorithm.

But im glad to see the feature implemented none the less.

Back