AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm refresh edition) *** 2/25 back at $85 shipped

Just got one of these going in my Wifes computer. Running a B450 Tomahawk Max and some G.Skill 3200MHz CL16 sticks. Seems to be all core boosting to 3.7Ghz at default settings on an H80i. Hope to have some time today to see how it overclocks. Also looking forward to seeing the temps with the H80i vs stock HSF.

Had a little time to dabble with OC'ing this little guy. So far 4.2Ghz @1.4v seems to work well for benching and running some games. Still need to run some long term stress testing with Prime95 and Memtest but for $85 this little guy is impressive.

Attachments

• 4200Mhz-tweakedRAM-1.4v-both.jpg
    4200Mhz-tweakedRAM-1.4v-both.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the updates and info on those that purchased. If I didn't have an original 1600 I may be tempted, but I don't think the difference is worth it at this point.

Thanks for the updates and info on those that purchased. If I didn't have an original 1600 I may be tempted, but I don't think the difference is worth it at this point.

I sold my 1600 for $60. The +400mhz this hits and +5-10% ipc increase is worth it imo.

That's not a bad $25 upgrade... What kind of thermals is everyone getting, I'm in an itx case so overclocking and joint voltage may limit th value as well, I honestly haven't put to much thought into it.

I would say pretty much any B450 board at this point unless you're planning to upgrade the CPU later. If you're looking for "upgradability," that X570-P board isn't bad for what it is, and I've seen them as low as $135 which is as much as the higher end B450 boards. I'd look at the ASRock B450 Pro4 which is usually a solid budget board without any frills. I have the Steel Legend board which is almost identical and it works great.
This right here.. i have the micro-atx version of this board and it has been flawless.

Have used two of these, first one hit 4.0 at 1.2 stable under a cheap 120mm cooler. Ram ran fine at 3200. Second chip is good at 4.0, but has to have 1.25 to get there, and ram is only solid at 3000. Great deal for a Mid-High end PC with a B450 Tomahawk board.

Knew I should have bought a couple when they was $85. They then jumped to $99 and now they are gone. But when/will they return?

What coolers is everyone running on these? Mine arrived last week but I’ve not had a chance to install them. Not going to overclock, But I don’t want it to throttle or sound like an airplane either. I’m used to Intel, where the stock cooler is a sad joke, so I’m a bit leery of the AMD one.

I"m thinking of selling my original 1600 for this or maybe even a 3600 as well. I have a water cooler on it now; what speeds do they get up to?

What coolers is everyone running on these? Mine arrived last week but I’ve not had a chance to install them. Not going to overclock, But I don’t want it to throttle or sound like an airplane either. I’m used to Intel, where the stock cooler is a sad joke, so I’m a bit leery of the AMD one.

Noctua L12s (SFF).

Even at $100, it is still a great deal and better for most people than the 3500x. Lack of SMT really kills AMD performance.

The 1600 AF/2600/2600X will probably stay the best bet for budget-mainstream builds until AMD releases a 4/8 3400x in the $100 range once Zen 1 stock completley clears out.

I'm using a wraith prism I got used on here for like $20, works great for me. Touch on the loud side when overclocked but it does a fairly good job of keeping it cool. Using the prism because I have it in a SFF build with no room for a tower. I think any decent 120mm tower will do fine cooling this.

Running an H80i on my wife's 1600AF as that's what was already there from her X58 setup it replaced. Have it at 4.2Ghz currently and everything seems peachy.

Running an H80i on my wife's 1600AF as that's what was already there from her X58 setup it replaced. Have it at 4.2Ghz currently and everything seems peachy.

No surprise you hit 4.2 ghz with H80i - that thing outperforms most (edit) 240mm AIOs. Mine is collecting dust since going SFF.

What temps/volts/fan speed do you typically see?

Last edited:
I'm using a wraith prism I got used on here for like $20, works great for me. Touch on the loud side when overclocked but it does a fairly good job of keeping it cool. Using the prism because I have it in a SFF build with no room for a tower. I think any decent 120mm tower will do fine cooling this.

Thanks, will find something. I don't want to spend a fortune, these are for the kids and I'm trying to keep costs down.

No surprise you hit 4.2 ghz with H80i - that thing outperforms most (edit) 240mm AIOs. Mine is collecting dust since going SFF.

What temps/volts/fan speed do you typically see?
Last I checked it would creep up to 70C under prime after 15 min or so. Never gets close to that under normal usage. It's at 1.4v.

Already #6 on the Amazon best sellers list despite being MIA at that price for the last couple of weeks.

AMD is dominating the top 10.

Already #6 on the Amazon best sellers list despite being MIA at that price for the last couple of weeks.

AMD is dominating the top 10.
Seller was trying to do the whole "price swap to catch a few unsuspecting buyers" I think.

I just ordered a couple more :)

back at $85 shipped, I know these won't be around too much longer get em while theyre hot! :)

Considering grabbing one of these for a small core update to my aging FX8320. The FX still does everything I want, I'm not a big current gen PC gamer so there is little need to update but this is a heck of an option for the price to couple with my 970 GTX.

Considering grabbing one of these for a small core update to my aging FX8320. The FX still does everything I want, I'm not a big current gen PC gamer so there is little need to update but this is a heck of an option for the price to couple with my 970 GTX.

I bought one for my daughts PC and it's running at 3333Mhz memory speed .. I can't tell the different between my Ryzen 5 3600 on normal windows stuff as to be just as quick about it and it will be faster in gaming with your 970 GTX as it's really a Ryzen 5 2600 hiding in sheep skin .

I bought one for my daughts PC and it's running at 3333Mhz memory speed .. I can't tell the different between my Ryzen 5 3600 on normal windows stuff as to be just as quick about it and it will be faster in gaming with your 970 GTX as it's really a Ryzen 5 2600 hiding in sheep skin .

Ya, I think it will be a good step for a super budget refresh. Won't break any speed records but it will certainly be faster! Should be noice! My 970 GTX may also be a bit aged but I'm certain with a better CPU than my FX, it will do better. I see it as a most awesome deal!

This CPU is now #3 on the Amazon Best seller's list. The more expensive, but basically identical, 2600 is #2. Probably due to it's sparatic availibility and many not knowing better.

Back to Sold Out

Edit - Back in Stock, I just made my order before they get away again. Goodbye trusty FX!

Last edited:
Currently the #2 best selling CPU on Amazon behind the 3600.

The 6 core Zen+ has to be one of the best selling CPUs ever with over 9500 reviews between the 2600x/2600/1600(af).

Well, got mine and the CPU posted twice - once upon initial start and once upon initial windows setup. After that, the B450M pro-M2 Max motherboard I went with was displaying a CPU error LED light. I guess I'll be returning it. *sigh*.

Think I am going to pick one up for a family member. He's still rocking an old sandy bridge that does well but it getting long in the tooth.
What's a good motherboard for this? I'd prefer to go with MSI or Gigabyte if possible.
If it helps, he mostly plays BR with a 1080p screen using 144hz on a 1080.

Reactions: Damos
like this
Back