AMD Ryzen 4000 ‘Vermeer’ Desktop CPUs With Zen 3 Cores Going in Mass Production Soon, Already in B0 Stepping

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited?

"With that said, Rocket Lake-S is still something that needs to be evaluated prior to its release before we can call it a Zen 3 challenger but time would make it clear. As for now, the competitive advantage that AMD has with its Zen 2 based Ryzen 3000 is just way too big compared to whatever Intel has in their sleeves for this year and Zen 3 based Ryzen 4000 processors are going to push that envelope even further."

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4000-vermeer-desktop-cpus-zen-3-cores-mass-production-soon/

I'm excited. Just ordered a B550 today :). I figured I'd be waiting until next year for Zen3, but this is great news.

Reactions: erek
like this
So if they are almost on final silicon and entering mass production soon, that should mean this will be a pretty late '20 release. No wonder we had rumors of a '21 slip, this is already looking like a late Dec. early Jan. timeframe with this news.
AMD would have to enter mass production in July (which is a few days away...) to have these selling in stores by November. Unless of course they just paper launch with little to no stock.

Reactions: erek
like this
So if they are almost on final silicon and entering mass production soon, that should mean this will be a pretty late '20 release. No wonder we had rumors of a '21 slip, this is already looking like a late Dec. early Jan. timeframe with this news.
AMD would have to enter mass production in July (which is a few days away...) to have these selling in stores by November. Unless of course they just paper launch with little to no stock.
Considering they doubled their wafer production for 2H2020, I feel they are probably able to ramp up quicker than zen2, so maybe it's not as bad as you think. All speculation though, my original thoughts were we would be getting paper launch or very limited supply with a bit better supply early 2021. With this news I feel it's possible it won't be as bad as I was thinking (aka, they have a few months of doubled up production to build inventories, but that is probably split between rdna2 and possibly consoles as well?)

Not really excited as my 2700X and 9600K still serves me well. I typically wait for all the new hardware to get all the wrinkles taken out before purchasing. Don't need the latest and greatest gear. Can't imagine the various Motherboard BIOS updates on the B550 and X570 boards there might be. Guess we will see.

Considering they doubled their wafer production for 2H2020, I feel they are probably able to ramp up quicker than zen2, so maybe it's not as bad as you think. All speculation though, my original thoughts were we would be getting paper launch or very limited supply with a bit better supply early 2021. With this news I feel it's possible it won't be as bad as I was thinking (aka, they have a few months of doubled up production to build inventories, but that is probably split between rdna2 and possibly consoles as well?)
That is a good point at the end there, I forgot about consoles taking a big piece of the foundry pie right now.

That is a good point at the end there, I forgot about consoles taking a big piece of the foundry pie right now.
Yeah, there is to much going on and not enough info to really know where everything is and what priorities are, etc. The fact that they are on final silicone and starting mass production means it's at least ready, now it's a matter of how much product they can make between now and release. Hopefully that means there will be some CPUs landing this year, possibly not enough to go around, but judging by my looks today for a CPU, there already low on current stock.

so my dreams of a late September or October launch are not realistic?...I'm tempted to upgrade to an X570 + 3700X now but if Zen 3 was close then I could wait a bit longer

My launch day 3700X (7/7) had a manufacture date of May... so a Q4 launch is still very possible.

Last edited:
with 2020 being a shit show who knows when these things will actually show up to market.

Wanting more details but looking to upgrade to this. Love my 5820 but my motherboard has some power issues so my OC had to be dialed back to 3.8 to 4 at best for stability.

Last edited:
Don't be too confident in availability for desktop - most of those dies will be going to Epyc to make big money for AMD, but if it's as fast as expected availability will be terrible either way.

Q4 would be nice. Keep the momentum up.
That is very likely if this information is correct and they are on track with their roadmap. Would estimate around Dec for first CPUs with Zen 3 and server might be a little bit before it. Guessing only 2-3 different configurations, 6 and 8 core maybe 10-12 if you are lucky for desktop. Sillicon won't be as good as later on, as they'll be using the good bins for Epyc due to higher yield required for extra functionality used in the design. TR3 will be a beast though, I'd consider it for the better bin alone and try some more exotic cooling approaches, might be the route to go for a once every 6-7 year build lol.

Don't be too confident in availability for desktop - most of those dies will be going to Epyc to make big money for AMD, but if it's as fast as expected availability will be terrible either way.
Oh, I wasn't meaning stock won't run out. Plus I mentioned it needing to share capacity with the consoles, so it's really hard to guess how much production they will have. I assumed it'd be more of a paper launch, but it seems they will have some stock (which is more than I expected, but surely not enough for demand). I'm under no delusions of them having plenty to go around, lol.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
with 2020 being a shit show who knows when these things will actually show up to market.

Correct. I just went ahead and bought a B550 and 3900X. Not concerned about what's coming out this year because manufactures are going to have a tough time keeping staff working.
A lot of stuff I was looking forward to, the new Canon R5, Ampere, TENET movie, Ryzen 4000 etc. are all in limbo in my mind until further notice. Until then, I'm content with what I have.

Correct. I just went ahead and bought a B550 and 3900X. Not concerned about what's coming out this year because manufactures are going to have a tough time keeping staff working.
A lot of stuff I was looking forward to, the new Canon R5, Ampere, TENET movie, Ryzen 4000 etc. are all in limbo in my mind until further notice. Until then, I'm content with what I have.
I'm waiting on my son's b550 and 3700x, should be here this weekend hopefully. That said I'll probably get zen3 for myself if I don't get him a 3600 and steal the 3700x.

I'm... not going to be allowed to afford one, but man, if Canon nails this tech, we're in for a ride!

[I hope it trickles down to their APS-C mirrorless lineup, as I'd like to build a gimbal rig for everything from basic vacation stuff to strapping to the bottom of my stepfather's gyrocopter...]

I can't spend money on cameras because I can't use it to earn income. I had photography gigs but most canceled. Schools, events, sports etc.
It's time to sit on my savings and survive the wave. It's a bad time for expensive gadgets to be released.

I can't spend money on cameras because I can't use it to earn income. I had photography gigs but most canceled. Schools, events, sports etc.
It's time to sit on my savings and survive the wave. It's a bad time for expensive gadgets to be released.
I get that; it's a hobby for my wife and myself (my day job is far more boring), but it's one of those things where the skills could be used to supplement income at some point in the future. I wish you good luck!

Back