AMD Ryzen 4000 Rumored to Offer Around 17% Increased Performance

wouldn't mind upgrading to this from my 1600. Would be nice to know if I can get a b450 or if I'll need something newer.

Assuming you mean FX-8350, those prices are outrageous tbh and nobody should buy them. In auctions the 8350 goes for $35-50 now and newegg literally dumped them on sale for around that price not too long ago. Microcenter is selling the 2700x for $150 in stores right now. Used 1700x goes for less than $100.

It's hard to sell straight into an upgrade on the consumer platforms, as people are willing to spend early adopter taxes. 2700x for example instantly lost $100+ with 3000 series launch and is now half of what it was last christmas NEW IN BOX. If you want to optimize your performance per dollar, it's generally best to wait a year until a new gen is out and buy the previous years model.. if you can resist the urge to be on the bleeding edge. same will happen to the 3700x-3900x by next christmas.

prices tend to fare better on intel parts, even though it's utterly illogical.. Guess we pay in dollars per average game frame rate alone.

This is why the 3600 is one of their best selling chips. I built a 3600x machine when they launched... and the deal I got I only paid around 20 bucks more for the 3600x vs a 2700. Better performance same price. Sure 2 less cores but who cares when the single thread performance is 20% better and the multi threaded performance is =.

Where I am right now with after Xmas sales... the 3600x and 2700x are listed at the same price.

We spent all this money on 3rd Gen, to hear within basically the same month about the latest and greatest Ryzen 4th Gen coming out less than a year later with massive IPC improvements! Bogus! It makes me feel like I wasted my money. My last rig lasted me for like 4+ years as a 1080p max gaming rig. This? mere months before becoming totally obsolete.

You wasted your money? How? Its a waste if its valued at 0 for you to upgrade. I would happily take this yearly performance upgrade. Buy the new one and sell the old one, lets take your return on investement and resale value in to account when considering a loss. Its not like your computer is obselete, far from it. I mean you want them to sit on their ass and do what intel did? lol! So you want no innovation and rather have intel mentality so you can feel your system will last longer? Your system performance is the same, just because AMD is delivering on faster pace to keep the performance going and not be caught sleepiing by intel doesn't mean your system is bad. You bought your system for performance it delivered not because nothing faster won't come out lol. Sell your chip and buy the new one and enjoy. Might I recommend sticking with intel so you don't feel left out and happy with upgrading CPU 5 years lol.

Last edited:
Well at least intel are bringing 10 cores to mainstream, I guess that is progress of sorts huhuhu

This is why the 3600 is one of their best selling chips. I built a 3600x machine when they launched... and the deal I got I only paid around 20 bucks more for the 3600x vs a 2700. Better performance same price. Sure 2 less cores but who cares when the single thread performance is 20% better and the multi threaded performance is =.

Where I am right now with after Xmas sales... the 3600x and 2700x are listed at the same price.

Good point, 3600/x won't take as much of a hit since it launched at a super low price as it is. 3700x and above will collapse in price after 4000 series launch. Maybe I'll downgrade to a 3600 a month or two before 4000 series release then upgrade again a few months after 4000 series launch...

Optimizing my dollar :p

You wasted your money? How? Its a waste if its valued at 0 for you to upgrade. I would happily take this yearly performance upgrade. Buy the new one and sell the old one, lets take your return on investement and resale value in to account when considering a loss. Its not like your computer is obselete, far from it. I mean you want them to sit on their ass and do what intel did? lol! So you want no innovation and rather have intel mentality so you can feel your system will last longer? Your system performance is the same, just because AMD is delivering on faster pace to keep the performance going and not be caught sleepiing by intel doesn't mean your system is bad. You bought your system for performance it delivered not because nothing faster won't come out lol. Sell your chip and buy the new one and enjoy. Might I recommend sticking with intel so you don't feel left out and happy with upgrading CPU 5 years lol.

can't you admit that it does feel pretty good to have a system that is relevant among the masses for a long time? and respected in the enthusiast circle(s)?

Reactions: Auer
like this
can't you admit that it does feel pretty good to have a system that is relevant among the masses for a long time? and respected in the enthusiast circle(s)?

Can't you admit that your system peformance remains the same and just because something faster came out it doesn't mean your system got slower than before? Just because faster CPU came out doesn't mean your system all of sudden became unplayable lol. You bought your system for performance it gave you at that time period, so world should stop advancing because you might feel better about your purchase? lol.

Can't you admit that your system peformance remains the same and just because something faster came out it doesn't mean your system got slower than before? Just because faster CPU came out doesn't mean your system all of sudden became unplayable lol. You bought your system for performance it gave you at that time period, so world should stop advancing because you might feel better about your purchase? lol.

i do want to feel good for a little bit longer about it all :( last platform was a good run! rested on my laurels for quite some time to be honest. didn't even realize i wasn't using XMP profile it was decent enough

Consoles are going to be stuck at 8 cores, so game dev will be limited to that for a while.

Unless we all start hosting personal AI assistants @ home, nothing is going to stretch the legs of these machines for a while. We can comfortably game and encode live streams on the same damn chip.

The question is will I upgrade from a 3900x to a 3990x or wait for the 5990x and PCIe 5? I am currently waiting on the 7GB/s nvmes to upgrade my storage. I can push all this with content creation... but games?

He's probably been running Intel for a while. In the case of Intel, the CPUs do get slower year by year as they have to patch all the vulnerabilities...

We spent all this money on 3rd Gen, to hear within basically the same month about the latest and greatest Ryzen 4th Gen coming out less than a year later with massive IPC improvements! Bogus! It makes me feel like I wasted my money. My last rig lasted me for like 4+ years as a 1080p max gaming rig. This? mere months before becoming totally obsolete.

You would have hated the 1980s and 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect ;)

You would have hated the 1980s and 1990s.
I remember those decades, back when every few years the IPC and performance increases were 200-300%, literally rendering the previous generations of processors truly obsolete.

Doesn't Zen3 come out in Q4 2020?

AFAIK the 4000 series will launch in Q1 but will be for mobile using Zen2.

I read similar. Highly doubtful any 4000 series desktop chips will exist within a year from 3000 launch...

Again, I bet when/if 4000 series launches for am4/x570, we'll IMMEDIATELY start hearing whispers of a next gen ryzen. That'll likely be on a new platform. Possibly using ddr5. At that point people will be saying wait another year since its a dead end platform... And so it goes.

Bleeding edge should never last longer than a year, sad if it does. Video card market is currently in said sad state, that's why so many of us are hoping AMD wakes up.. or intel.

It’s Always q3. I don’t think anyone is saying it’s launching anytime soon. Mobile chips are always a gen behind and named similar to latest gen desktop parts.

always has been that way. 3000 mobile series launched as zen+ while 3000 desktop series launched as zen 2.

now zen 2 mobile series will launch as 4K series and zen 3 desktop series will launch as 4000 series. Nothing new.

i do want to feel good for a little bit longer about it all :( last platform was a good run! rested on my laurels for quite some time to be honest. didn't even realize i wasn't using XMP profile it was decent enough
Have you forgotten your enthusiast's pride?! Genuine performance wars between companies is the Holy Grail which brings truth to our excuses for throwing money at building more systems! :D

Reactions: mikeo
like this
I understand the OP. If I had known the jump would've been that bit I would have personally kept my 2700X and went with the 4*** and a new motherboard.

But these larger jumps in performance are great and I am happy to see CPUs progressing again. I do hope it is close to 10-12% real world performance jumps.

Reactions: erek
like this
We have identified these forums implanted CIA spook. ;) lol

Ha, given my post history, they'd rather drone strike me with a 100 dollar toy quadrocopter since I am not even worth the fuel on their scary shit

Here I am still waiting for 3950x to be available where I live here.

I admit I'll be disappointed if the 16cores Zen 3 comes out 6 months after I build my PC. If it comes out 12 months later, I'd consider that a normal progression

This? mere months before becoming totally obsolete.

You can still game very well on an i7-2600K from 2011, assuming it has a modern video card. I always find it funny when the word “obsolete” is thrown about whenever a new product is introduced. Ryzen 3000 isn’t going to magically stop working when 4000 is released, and it will still be an awesome processor for all sorts of workloads for years to come. Additionally, it has been known for quite some time that Ryzen 4000 was coming next year and it has also been known for many months that it will likely be a significant improvement. That’s why I decided to scrap my idea of building a 3900x or 3950x to replace my 8700K - I try to use systems for around 3 years (which is next year for my 8700K) and I might as well wait until then to see what the landscape is.

For its part, AMD had better get its supply issues under control and fast. When I bought my 3900x over the summer, I had it within a month of launch but after that, it seemed to be months before you could comfortably find one. The situation with the 3950x is ridiculous - I sold my 3900x because it was an impulse buy and I wanted to wait for the 3950x, but the lack of availability is another reason I decided to wait for Ryzen 4000. If AMD fumbles that supply as well, I won’t be happy. The whole “demand took us by surprise” argument isn’t going to float with me next time and there are better ways for them to get accurate forecasts rather than licking a finger and sticking it into the wind.

So unless you really just like to roll with the latest/greatest (Totally Cool) it would seem that with AMD the prev gen is the best deal when a new one launches?

I mean those 2600/2700's are at dollar store prices atm..

Yeah I'd welcome the announcement of a threadripper 4960x release by the end of 2020, but even if they said it was going to come out then, I wouldn't expect to see it till spring 2021 before I could actually buy one without trouble trying to find one. Also it would mean I might be able to build a 3960x system and pay less than MSRP for the dam chip by then. :D

Nobody respects you because of the hardware in your computer. If you’re buying high end hardware just so that other people can envy you will never really be happy.

The last few years have been great for the industry after many years of CPU stagnation.

I still need to upgrade from my 4770k. Can't wait for Ryzen 4k, as I'd love to pick up on closeout a 3950x for $299 or a 3900x for $199 from Micro Center.

At 1080p/Linux/144hz, a 4770k & Gtx 1070 is good enough for me at the moment.

1-1.5 years ago I build an i5-8400 with 1080Ti (ebay) and that is good enough for my windows box.

We live in great times for gamers with so many options and finally some competition in the GPU & CPU market, as well as a big boost to consoles coming out...

I still need to upgrade from my 4770k. Can't wait for Ryzen 4k, as I'd love to pick up on closeout a 3950x for $299 or a 3900x for $199 from Micro Center.

A year from now the 3900x will also come with a years supply of :

20dbbec5-a642-4bdf-b860-f557848e90ac_1.33d0ea38e4c6bd0d963d31e212dd7116.png

Honestly refreshing :)

Reactions: erek
like this
So it's probably going to be equal with Intel for the first time.

you live on your own reality I guess because when it comes to IPC amd is already matching or trading blows with intel. This will just get then inline with what intel has for the future. AMD is not sitting on its ass this time it seems.

I'd enjoy it more now because I have more money to throw around, but back then it was pretty damn stressful. I always wanted the latest and fastest, but my income at the time said, "Tough luck asshole."

Same for me, but there was something to be said for endless tweaking and tinkering with settings on budget value parts to get max performance, vs just setting PBO on the AMD side. I don't have as much time for OC tuning now anyway though so PBO is pretty nice.

You can still game very well on an i7-2600K from 2011, assuming it has a modern video card. I always find it funny when the word “obsolete” is thrown about whenever a new product is introduced. Ryzen 3000 isn’t going to magically stop working when 4000 is released, and it will still be an awesome processor for all sorts of workloads for years to come. Additionally, it has been known for quite some time that Ryzen 4000 was coming next year and it has also been known for many months that it will likely be a significant improvement. That’s why I decided to scrap my idea of building a 3900x or 3950x to replace my 8700K - I try to use systems for around 3 years (which is next year for my 8700K) and I might as well wait until then to see what the landscape is.

For its part, AMD had better get its supply issues under control and fast. When I bought my 3900x over the summer, I had it within a month of launch but after that, it seemed to be months before you could comfortably find one. The situation with the 3950x is ridiculous - I sold my 3900x because it was an impulse buy and I wanted to wait for the 3950x, but the lack of availability is another reason I decided to wait for Ryzen 4000. If AMD fumbles that supply as well, I won’t be happy. The whole “demand took us by surprise” argument isn’t going to float with me next time and there are better ways for them to get accurate forecasts rather than licking a finger and sticking it into the wind.

Respectfully... AMD isn't the company with supply issues in 2019. That would be Intel.

When 3000 launched they where really not that hard to get.... like many popular items you had to figure out when your local store got stock. Or wait a few weeks for an online order. The 3950x was delayed a bit... which probably had a lot to do with AMD seeing the demand on the 3900x and not wanting to many tears of those no able to snag one. After years of enthusiasts not really buying high end CPUs in volume... I am not sure AMD expected people to be lining up for them.

This morning the local part store where I am (which is not some massive American Microcenter) has tons of stock on 36/7/8/900 cpus 10+ on each... and according to their web page a handful of 3950x (which is reasonable as where I am its still a north of $1k in Canadian bills)

Looking at their Intel part stock.... 9900k they have stock on, all other Intel 8 core parts are on backorder or out of stock. They are also out of stock on 9600k... but they do have a small handful of 8600k. Its not cause the Intel parts are selling a ton right now... I know from talking to the manager there there Intel shipments are unreliable. They have no issues with specific parts and get trickles on others.

Anyway I know its very anecdotal... Intel has admitted on multiple occasions to having serious supply issues right now. It seems like their fabs are overworked. Clearly they where not expecting to be running their 14nm fabs for close to all production for as long as they have been forced to.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
you live on your own reality I guess because when it comes to IPC amd is already matching or trading blows with intel. This will just get then inline with what intel has for the future. AMD is not sitting on its ass this time it seems.

Well what Intel claims to have for the future anyway.

I swear I have heard the Intel IPC song a few times the last number of years. BIG IPC gain coming, its coming down the bend... here's a 200 mhz bump buy buy buy or you can all jump. Where going to do nothing just because we can.

Hopefully AMD has kicked their asses into gear. I have a feeling it won't be till 2021 before we know if Intel is capable of getting back to being "Intel".

it's just pretty expensive, and also was a lot of work and stress to go through this upgrade cycle !!!

first we were told September for the 3950x then Nov 25th, and a lot of us pulled all nighters to get one, was really stressful!

then i ran into a bad batch of ram they caused me a lot of turmoil to troubleshoot, lost a 6TB HDD in the process!! having to go through a fresh install of Windows and configuring everything took awhile to get stabilized and figure everything out on the new platform!!
That’s all to be expected as part of this hobby. If frequent tech gains, performance numbers, rumors and possibly technical issues or incompatiblity problems are a major concern, you may want to consider a new hobby. And I know this has been suggested before on another thread with a similar statement made. All of us enthusiasts feel your pain but we know it’s part of the hobby and actually I enjoy the tech gains. I have in the past upgraded once or twice and felt the immediate burn though. 4970k I’m looking at you mr devils canyon...

Theres a point where all the FPU performance in the world hits a ceiling because a GPU can only handle so much data being thrown at it.This is for both gaming and compute workloads.

Ryzen 2 has proven that even the monster mode 2080ti can be fed faster than it can handle. So more fpu and more compute cpu wise although faster, we may be waiting GPUs to catch up soon.

I'm extremely satisfied with my 3960x.

I'm not mad in the least bit. I will get a 4700x for my other rig when it comes time and be just as happy. I have multiple rigs.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Back