AMD Ryzen 4000 7nm+ Zen 3 CPUs Spotted

Lol.. "it's not good enough that we defeat our enemies... we must annihilate them!!" :sneaky:
I agree with this. What concerns me is that AMD is focusing too much (again) on the CPU side of the spectrum. APUs are likely the path to the future and they are still screwing around with Vega on 7nm APUs. No Navi on desktop and mobile parts. Not certain what the hell they are doing with this. It's like what the did with all the previous APUs. The graphics horsepower was almost always way the hell behind the times on their chips. They need to knock all segments out of the park in order to annihilate the competition and they only have a couple years or months to make it happen before Intel recovers and starts kicking their ass due to a massively larger budget to invest in new designs.

Jesus AMD are forcing their engineers to do speed or something

I don't really follow their current product development cycle... How are they simultaneously working on so many generations of chips...? Why wouldn't they just, ya know, skip zen3 and just go straight to the 4? bleh. CPU development is confusing.

I agree with this. What concerns me is that AMD is focusing too much (again) on the CPU side of the spectrum. APUs are likely the path to the future and they are still screwing around with Vega on 7nm APUs. No Navi on desktop and mobile parts. Not certain what the hell they are doing with this. It's like what the did with all the previous APUs. The graphics horsepower was almost always way the hell behind the times on their chips. They need to knock all segments out of the park in order to anhilate the competition and they only have a couple years or months to make it happen before Intel recovers and starts kicking their ass due to a massively larger budget to invest in new designs.
I think you have it backwards? AMD"s APU has always had superious graphics, but the CPU side of things has always been the weak link...

I don't really follow their current product development cycle... How are they simultaneously working on so many generations of chips...? Why wouldn't they just, ya know, skip zen3 and just go straight to the 4? bleh. CPU development is confusing.
Several development teams working simultaneously in a leapfrogging configuration. Zen3 and zen4 were worked on at the same time with zen4 having slightly longer term goals.

AMD is the ultimate comeback kid.

I think we all remember the old Thunderbird and athlon xp being pretty good. Athlon64 and x2 were incredible. Kinda fell off the horse with bulldozer. Now it seems that they're going to keep the pressure on Intel relentlessly.

I like it :)

I agree with this. What concerns me is that AMD is focusing too much (again) on the CPU side of the spectrum. APUs are likely the path to the future and they are still screwing around with Vega on 7nm APUs. No Navi on desktop and mobile parts. Not certain what the hell they are doing with this. It's like what the did with all the previous APUs. The graphics horsepower was almost always way the hell behind the times on their chips. They need to knock all segments out of the park in order to annihilate the competition and they only have a couple years or months to make it happen before Intel recovers and starts kicking their ass due to a massively larger budget to invest in new designs.

Considering Vega is better than what Intel is offering for integrated graphics I don't think its a big deal right now.

Jesus AMD are forcing their engineers to do speed or something

upload_2019-11-29_10-33-18.jpeg

AMD is the ultimate comeback kid.

I think we all remember the old Thunderbird and athlon xp being pretty good. Athlon64 and x2 were incredible. Kinda fell off the horse with bulldozer. Now it seems that they're going to keep the pressure on Intel relentlessly.

I like it :)

I think with 20/20 hindsight the bulldozer generation wasn't really that bad. They fell victim to Intel cheating. (I'm being very serious) That time frame is exactly when Intel started building their cheating cache systems that didn't bother doing basic security checks. So sure they gained a ton of performance... we just didn't know how unsecure Intel systems where at that time. Although no doubt the Gov knew.

Consumers referenced those terrible launch reviews for years and wrote AMD off. If you take any of those supposed junk FX chips and bench them today vs their Intel rivels from the time with all mitigation for both platforms. All of a sudden Bulldozer vs Core doesn't look all that bad.

No doubt though they stepped it up with Zen... and it seems Intel really didn't see Zen2 coming. I have a feeling Zen3 is going to lay Intel truly flat on their asses. I expect Zen3 will erase even the but but but gaming arguments.

Since the developers of AIDA64 have baked in support for AMD's upcoming silicon, it could mean engineering samples are already shipping to customers, or soon will be. That's certainly in the realm of possibility—both Zen 3 CPUs and Renoir APUs are slated to ship in 2020.

https://hothardware.com/news/aida64-support-amd-7nm-zen-3-ryzen-4000-cpus-renoir-apus

It's possible early silicon has gone out for testing, but those chips will be no where near the finished product. Even if Zen 3 ships in 2020, its going to be towards this time next year if I had to speculate.

I still think an always thought bulldozer was the best thing to happen to AMD because it made them step back an re approach, had it been competitive whose to say we would have what we have today. Its like intel if you can milk money why innovate? Lack of innovation always comes to a dead end.

I still think an always thought bulldozer was the best thing to happen to AMD because it made them step back an re approach, had it been competitive whose to say we would have what we have today. Its like intel if you can milk money why innovate? Lack of innovation always comes to a dead end.
eh. Lisa Su is the best thing that happened to AMD. Great leadership leads to great results.

While that may be the end result, AMD could be just as successful today if it had a better architecture than it had with Phenom or Bulldozer. Neither was fantastic at the time. To AMD's credit, Bulldozer has aged better than you would imagine but it was ill timed and ultimately, it bet on a direction for the industry way too early and simply lost that bet. Part of the product design has to account for where the industry is going or try to steer it in a new direction. AMD tried to do the latter, without having the clout or the experience at the top of the industry to do so. Bulldozer's issues and AMD's failures at the time aren't necessarily about Bulldozer itself. While the processor is crap, they were blind sided by a refocused and determined Intel. AMD not only got complacent way too quickly, but mismanaged their resources from at least the X2 onward and it showed.

AMD went through a ton of CEOs and bad business decisions over the years. Lisa Su deserves a lot of credit for getting AMD on track towards reaching a goal that its had ever since it decided to start making its own CPU's rather than just being a second source supplier of Intel CPU's. Had AMD been properly managed and if it had done what it needed to in order to hold onto the major talent behind its successes, neither Phenom nor Bulldozer would have necessarily been shit, nor would AMD have necessarily had to step back and refocus. It never should have lost focus to the degree it did.

AMD stepped back yes, but it didn't need 10 years to do it. They got the ball rolling on Zen only a few years ago. AMD could and should have done this at several turns over the last decade or so but failed until it launched the Ryzen 1000 series. Intel is guilty of being complacent as well and they are definitely paying the price for it.

AMD stepped back yes, but it didn't need 10 years to do it. They got the ball rolling on Zen only a few years ago. AMD could and should have done this at several turns over the last decade or so but failed until it launched the Ryzen 1000 series. Intel is guilty of being complacent as well and they are definitely paying the price for it.

The hilarious thing is that AMD announced that they were designing Zen. And Intel did nothing. Granted looking down on an ant ya don't think it could ever be anything than a stain on your sole.

The hilarious thing is that AMD announced that they were designing Zen. And Intel did nothing. Granted looking down on an ant ya don't think it could ever be anything than a stain on your sole.

Soul or sole, either way I hate stains on both sole/soul

To be fair, for all but five years of the last 28 or so, Intel hasn't had to worry much about AMD.

Underestimation of your rival is the worst thing to do. We go back to Boudica's uprising against Rome in Brittania. Her uprising saw years of victories eventually forcing the Romans into battle. Boudicca believed her uprising of over 200 000 would over run a legion of 8000 Romans. What transpired was why bigger isn't better. Sautonius Paulinus lead the Romans to a complete massacre of the Iceni rebellion and over 400 years of Roman governance in South Brittany.

The long and short is every year Intel sits on their hands AMD brand gets more widely recognised and adopted. Next year is going to be a cash cow for AMD, a small operation that will pocket crazy revenue

Underestimation of your rival is the worst thing to do. We go back to Boudica's uprising against Rome in Brittania. Her uprising saw years of victories eventually forcing the Romans into battle. Boudicca believed her uprising of over 200 000 would over run a legion of 8000 Romans. What transpired was why bigger isn't better. Sautonius Paulinus lead the Romans to a complete massacre of the Iceni rebellion and over 400 years of Roman governance in South Brittany.

The long and short is every year Intel sits on their hands AMD brand gets more widely recognised and adopted. Next year is going to be a cash cow for AMD, a small operation that will pocket crazy revenue

I am having a hard time finding a source for your number of 8000 romans. Could you please provide it? Wikipedia not acceptable for what I am working on. Asking out of genuine interest.

I am having a hard time finding a source for your number of 8000 romans. Could you please provide it? Wikipedia not acceptable for what I am working on. Asking out of genuine interest.

Sources are themselves incorrect as they all cite Tacitus, the problem with orators of the time is that they over exaggerated the numbers. The myth numbers are 230 000 Iceni and around 10 000 Romans and the Brittons lost over 100 000 warriors but the realistic numbers are probably closer to 25000 brittons against 8000 Romans with casualties around 10000 dead. I remember watching a documentary on it on History channel many years ago.

Yeah, the numbers are all over the place and unrealisticly massive.
I was hoping there was a credible source with lower estimates.
Thank you though.

Huh? She never worked at hp?

People can never praise people in this day an age you have to bring them down to make yourself feel as though they arent doing as good as they are. Either way thats the past she learned from mistake an has progressed how can you not be excited for someone in that position?

People can never praise people in this day an age you have to bring them down to make yourself feel as though they arent doing as good as they are. Either way thats the past she learned from mistake an has progressed how can you not be excited for someone in that position?
I can't find anything about her working at HP online? did she somehow use her AMD supercomputers to eliminate history?

like getting fired from HP? lol

>>>just ribbin ya...

She worked for TI and IBM out of collage... as IBM used her masters thesis to transition to copper interconnects. She worked there for a few years CEOsplaining tech to their leader. He then put her in charge of the IBM chip research division. Where she headed the team that designed the Cell processor probably the first true mainstream SOC. (which is why Sony loves her she has known the players there for years) Then she got large scale leadership experience heading Freescale basically putting them in a position of value that lead to a 50i billion dollar merger with NXP. Then she was brought on at AMD.

You would have to think they have something in the pipeline as next gen consoles will be Navi based. I can't imagine a separate graphics chip alongside a CPU is a very cost effective way to build a $500 console.

You would have to think they have something in the pipeline as next gen consoles will be Navi based. I can't imagine a separate graphics chip alongside a CPU is a very cost effective way to build a $500 console.
I thought many consoles were sold as a loss and the profits were all in the games and (licensed) accessories?

Awesome news as I'm looking to give Amd a try this coming year. Will be watching to see what they come up with, currently looking at getting a 3900x

Back