AMD Ryzen 2700X & 2600 Review Leaked

15% seems like a pretty good bump to me. 15% per year.... If they continue with bumps in that range every year.... 45-50% more performance every 3 years sounds very good to me. I would argue most people go 3-5 years between CPU upgrades... if we can expect 45-60% more performance I think most people would be overjoyed considering what Intel has been doing for a long time now.

15% seems like a pretty good bump to me. 15% per year.... If they continue with bumps in that range every year.... 45-50% more performance every 3 years sounds very good to me. I would argue most people go 3-5 years between CPU upgrades... if we can expect 45-60% more performance I think most people would be overjoyed considering what Intel has been doing for a long time now.

Sounds unrealistic. Has such a gain ever existed? I mean, after the 1990s.

Nothing can deal with people flashing modified bios' onto your motherboard and running malicious code with elevated privileges to install malware. Ryzenfall isnt real.

Bah. Nothing a complex set of arbitrary rules on the manufacturers wouldn't fix. In fact it will be better.

What if's all locked until you contact a call center where they collect your personal information and the reason you're trying to unlock this BIOS/UEFI thing. Wouldn't that work magnificently?

Looking very nice - I am in dire need of upgrading my secondary/home server PC and I've been thinking of AMD, so I'll be incredibly pleased if Ryzen 2000 series is a significant upgrade compared to the 1000 generation. It would really bode well for Threadripper++ , not to mention the kinds of gains we may see from next year's Zen2

I agree. lol

Just hoped it would put things in perspective for a few of the... 15% in a year doesn't sound that great posters. :)

I'm running an FX 8320.with 8 cores
This is going to be my upgrade.
Finally.

Around the turn of 2000-2002 you had the the jump from Athlon to T-breds, also the hyperclocked P4s 2 years later.

Introduction of Q6600? Then the jump to the Core i series like the 920?

Didn't check for solid numbers, but I recall these events as being leapfrogs.

Bah. Nothing a complex set of arbitrary rules on the manufacturers wouldn't fix. In fact it will be better.

What if's all locked until you contact a call center where they collect your personal information and the reason you're trying to unlock this BIOS/UEFI thing. Wouldn't that work magnificently?
Exactly, and cost money.

Second generation Ryzen may be a worthy upgrade from an aging A10-5800K or i7-950.

"There are a ton of charts from the leaked review to browse through, but the gist of it is, the new 2700X is between 12-18% faster than the 17000X."

Where do I sign up for a 17000X? I know the author meant 1700X.

Oh I see. I vaguely remember some of this stuff being added to CPUs years back. I feel safer locking the doors.
I wonder when they are going to fix door locks so crowbars and sledge hammers don't open them without the key.

Crypto hashes for microcode updates has been part of intel processors for at least the past 2 decades, fyi.

I'm running an FX 8320.with 8 cores
This is going to be my upgrade.
Finally.

More like 4 cores (it's 4 modules with each module has a extra core but shared, instead of HT or SMT)

an i3 (duel core ones below 7th gen) is generally faster then a fx cpu in most cases (99.99% cases if its i3 8th gen as its a quad core )

The bigger question: does it get the memory clock up to 3200 easier?

My 1700X can only get up to 2933 memory clocks, but the new chip supposedly supports up to 2933, so hopefully it can overclock that to 3200. That's the main thing I want to know for sure.

Your issue is the ram compatibility It needs to be Samsung B die ram for 3200 (I made same mistake when I bought my 2x16gb 32 gig RAM kit I bought the incorrect RAM)

It would be nice if that limitation of the 1000 was fixed in the 2000 cpus

1800x here (likely wait for 3000 ryzen cpus )

More like 4 cores (it's 4 modules with each module has a extra core but shared, instead of HT or SMT)

an i3 (duel core ones below 7th gen) is generally faster then a fx cpu in most cases (99.99% cases if its i3 8th gen as its a quad core )

You know what's funny? When I double the used threads, performance about doubles on the FX CPU's. Very obvious with crypto mining.

Hyperthreading doesn't double the same way. My 8320e underclocked is faster than my overclocked 4790K when printing money.

4 cores my ass.

Reactions: travm
like this
Your issue is the ram compatibility It needs to be Samsung B die ram for 3200 (I made same mistake when I bought my 2x16gb 32 gig RAM kit I bought the incorrect RAM)

It would be nice if that limitation of the 1000 was fixed in the 2000 cpus

1800x here (likely wait for 3000 ryzen cpus )

The newer UEFI versions AMD has put out are significantly better with ram comparability. Doesnt hurt to get QVL recommended. I have heard good things about that specific Samsung type of chip as well.

TIL 2700X > 17000X (as in seventeen THOUSAND)

WCCFTech is reporting that a review of the upcoming 2nd generation Ryzen CPUs has been leaked. The review shows faster inter-core communication, lower cache latency, as well as higher bandwidth. There are a ton of charts from the leaked review to browse through, but the gist of it is, the new 2700X is between 12-18% faster than the 17000X.

AMDs Ryzen platform just keeps getting better and better, if the leaked review is true that is. The launch date for the new chips is April 19th, and I'm definitely looking forward to see how they perform.

The 2700X doesn’t only enjoy faster inter-core communication and lower cache and memory latency, it also has higher overall cache bandwidth compared to its first generation counterpart. And the differences aren’t small either, we’re talking about up to 32% greater bandwidth.

You know what's funny? When I double the used threads, performance about doubles on the FX CPU's. Very obvious with crypto mining.

Hyperthreading doesn't double the same way. My 8320e underclocked is faster than my overclocked 4790K when printing money.

4 cores my ass.
I just upgraded an fx6300 to a 1600, and I can say without a doubt, the FX series cpus get lots of bullshit spread about them. Sure they arent "as fast", but try playing BF4, or BF1 on an I3... my 6300 all cores @ 4.3 gobbles that shit up. You have issues with framerates above 120fps, but seriously. the I3's are a stutterfest. Ive even heard people with I5's complain about microstutter in battlefield.
Benchmarks and real life are not equal. The FX series was great, especially at the price. Biggest problem with them was motherboards cheaping out on power delivery. If you bought a cheap motherboard it would throttle, sometimes even at stock speeds, or heaven forbid you tried putting an r9 290, or similar furnace into your box...
FX cpus had REAL CORES... issue was they shared an FPU unit per module, which in some workloads would cause a small performance hit. That and they werent faster than intel. and they are hot as $#!^.

It was also kinda cool looking back at your monitoring software after a gaming session, all 6 Cores at 95%+ the whole time. Battlefield games like their threads :D

Around the turn of 2000-2002 you had the the jump from Athlon to T-breds, also the hyperclocked P4s 2 years later.

Introduction of Q6600? Then the jump to the Core i series like the 920?

Didn't check for solid numbers, but I recall these events as being leapfrogs.

I remember those being very overhyped. Very clearly too since I wasted a lot of money during that period. Especially the P4s.

Issues with clocking to 3200 were overblown and had to do with command rates set to high for the module profile. e.g. change it from 1T to 2T and the problem disappears.

Nope, tried everything, including a 2T command rate. My chip cannot do over 2933 memory, no matter what I do. I've even tried 3 different sets of memory.

Nope, tried everything, including a 2T command rate. My chip cannot do over 2933 memory, no matter what I do. I've even tried 3 different sets of memory.

same here (i can get it to half work at 3000 somthing but black screens under load and bios boot loops until i remove power for it to go into fail safe defaults bios start, ASUS recovery feature )

gskill hynix based ram are pretty much stuck at 2933 except in a very few cases on some golden chips that can get 3066. the only known hynix based ram that'll run at 3200 is the corsair LPX 3200 cl16 but even these still have a 50/50 chance on not running at 3200.

samsung B dies are pretty much guaranteed to work at 3200+ unless your specific cpu has a weak IMC.

Still crickets on this. Where's the single threaded bench?
Just like AMD catching up to Pascal, this isnt realistic. Intel has 6+ years on AMD building for max IPC. AMD went cores for the future, bet the farm, and it didnt work out.
AMD isnt going to catch pascal in the next release cycle, and AMD isnt going to match skylake in this release either. 7nm may change things, or not. AMD still has the cores going for them. Remember intel at the moment still has a better architecture for IPC, and the node advantage. The fact AMD has stuck with them at this point is nothing short of miraculous.

Back