AMD Ryzen 2 Set for March 2018 Launch on 12nm

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to a new roadmap presented by AMD, the second-generation Ryzen will launch in late Q1 2018. The new series will be manufactured using a refined 12nm Zen+ fabrication node, which should further improve performance-to-Watt ratio and likely unlock higher clock speeds. This is a “tock” rollout in the architecture roadmap.

The company is said to be planning the roll out of Ryzen 2000 Pinnacle Ridge starting with Ryzen 7 in late February, followed by Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 in March. Based on the claims touted by Globalfoundries for its 12LP node, we could see Ryzen frequencies pushed to anywhere between 4.2-4.4GHz on the high-end, with a couple to several hundred MHz improvements across the lineup.

i'd be happy with 4.4Ghz stock.. not sure how much room that would leave for overclocking but we'll see.

Let's hope that they can improve both process and ipc without it leaning on clock frequency to provide the only boost to performance....

I actually think it will be mostly a performance boost on clock speed rather than much in the way of IPC. I hope to be proved wrong though !!

Please kep using solder under the IHS...if so, then a next-gen Ryzen or TR will probably be part of my next major ovberhaul.

My 2500k could use a new owner

Reactions: N4CR
like this
People shouldn’t just be happy with competition so their Intel cpus become cheaper. We should be supporting the competition by purchasing their products.

People shouldn’t just be happy with competition so their Intel cpus become cheaper. We should be supporting the competition by purchasing their products.
I have 3 HTPCs that I've been dying to refresh using Raven Ridge. Once that hits the shelves, I'm in for 3.
And if Ryzen 2 lives up to *half* of the hype that I've heard, I'll refresh my desktop using that.

Remember that AMD has been largely noncompetitive for a while now on the CPU side. It'll take them a bit to get real traction - but it IS happening.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
So I have my thread ripper build and my old fx build both running in different locations, I would totally upgrade the fx computer too, but those ddr4 prices man, think I blew $400 for 32gb on my thread ripper and would need at least 16gb minimum

Don't expect much. It's a tock, not a tick.
Every "tick" represented a shrinking of the process technology of the previous microarchitecture (sometimes introducing new instructions, as with Broadwell, released in late 2014) and every "tock" designated a new microarchitecture

so this would be closer to an Intel Tick as it is still the Zen microarch and it is die shrinkage, but nothing says AMD follow such a tick-tock cycle. Even intel no longer do tick-tock...

Amd want zen microarch to last 4year so if they release new product against new process every 18months it is aligned with one more process update before a new micro

Reactions: blkt
like this

I buy whichever product offers me what I'm looking for at the price I'm willing to pay. I feel that is the best way to approach things. If AMD has the best offering at my price when buying a CPU I'll buy AMD, if Intel fits that bill I'll buy Intel. I'm not going to buy from a company just because they're the underdog.

eh i say buy what fits your needs.. if there's something intel has that does what you need and is in your price range go for it, same with AMD.. just because i refuse to buy intel processors doesn't mean i'm going to tell others to quit buying them as well..

I’m confused here. This isn’t Ryzen 2, this is Ryzen + right? Or did they decide to skip Ryzen + and go right to Ryzen 2?

I still have quite a few FX and Phenom II X6 rigs.
Will probably upgrade the spare gaming rigs from Sandys/Ivys to Ryzen, and push those down.

If 4.2 is the enthusiast air OC and 4.4/5 the extreme water OC I'll do an upgrade in a heartbeat.

My guesses as to what's coming.
  • Athlon 2240x - 3.2Ghz/3.5Ghz Boost, 2 Cores / 4 Threads - Price: $69 - Oct.

• Ryzen 2410x - 3.3Ghz/3.7Ghz Boost, 4 Cores No SMT - Price: $99 - Sept.

• Ryzen 2430x - 3.6Ghz/4.0Ghz Boost, 4 Cores No SMT - Price $129 - Sept.

• Ryzen 2550x - 3.5Ghz/3.9Ghz Boost, 4 Cores / 8 Threads - Price $169 - Aug.

• Ryzen 2570x - 3.8Ghz/4.2Ghz Boost, 4 Cores / 8 Threads - Price $199 - Aug

• Ryzen 2650x - 3.7Ghz/4.1Ghz Boost, 6 Cores/ 12 Threads - Price $239 - April

• Ryzen 2670x - 4.2Ghz/4.5Ghz Boost, 6 Cores/ 12 Threads - Price $279 - April

• Ryzen 2730x - 3.6Ghz/4.0Ghz Boost, 8 Cores/ 16 Threads - Price $329 - Feb

• Ryzen 2750x - 3.9Ghz/4.2Ghz Boost, 8 Cores/ 16 Threads - Price $409 - Feb

• Ryzen 2770x - 4.2Ghz/4.5Ghz Boost, 8 Cores/ 16 Threads - Price $549 - Jan

• Ryzen TR 2930x - 4.0Ghz/4.5Ghz Boost, 10 Cores/ 20 Threads - Price $699 - July

• Ryzen TR 2950x - 3.8Ghz/4.2Ghz Boost, 12 Cores/ 24 Threads - Price $849 - July

• Ryzen TR 2970x - 3.7Ghz/4.1Ghz Boost, 16 Cores/ 32 Threads - Price $999 - June

• Ryzen TR 2990x - 3.6Ghz/4.0Ghz Boost, 24 Cores/ 48 Threads - Price $1499 - Oct.

I'm in for a replacement to my 1600x, pass it down to the son running a fx8230 and itching for Ryzen. He is into Hammer for Steam and did a render with my system and it was over twice as fast.

Ryzen 2670x - 4.2Ghz/4.5Ghz Boost, 6 Cores/ 12 Threads - Price $279 - April

For me six core is ideal

I went from 1090t @ 3.7 for 5+ years to the 1600x stock w/3066 ram. Clocks being the same the overall system performance seems to have have almost doubled. At 4.2 on all cores I can only imagine, that would be a nice boost.

I support AMD's tireless work and long hours getting i7-9700k into my hands a few months sooner. That's it. That's their whole job.

What I do not accept is the bizarre notion of sympathy buying an inferior product out of some sad fanboy-cuck obligation that a monolithic megacorp with multimilliondollar salaried executives needs my "support". Later for that.

Last edited:
I skimped out a little on my latest build in anticipation for this. :)

Reactions: blkt
like this
Same socket on these right, so I can keep my mobo and ram setup and just drop it in? A 8/16 at 4.5 sounds amazing <3

I support AMD's tireless work and long hours getting i7-9700k into my hands a few months sooner. That's it. That's their whole job.

What I do not accept is the bizarre notion of sympathy buying an inferior product out of some sad fanboy-cuck obligation that a monolithic megacorp with multimilliondollar salaried executives needs my "support". Later for that.
We should just buy the fastest products for our budgets or needs. Whether it's AMD or Intel in a given scenario shouldn't really matter.

Same socket on these right, so I can keep my mobo and ram setup and just drop it in? A 8/16 at 4.5 sounds amazing <3

I believe so. The options are currently AM4 (Ryzen), TR4 (Ryzen Threadripper), and SP3 (Epyc). I can't remember where I read this, but I remember AMD saying they wanted to retain these 3 sockets at least into 2019.

We should just buy the fastest products for our budgets or needs. Whether it's AMD or Intel in a given scenario shouldn't really matter.

I'll buy what I can trust. e.g. I cannot support the "always on" embedded subsystem in intel products. At least the AMD equivalent is strictly engaged via userspace intervention. I would have continued using a K15 processor, or switched to an ARM system had it not been for Zen.

Back