AMD Ryzen 1700X on the [H] Test Bench

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Air cooling AMD's Ryzen? Screw that! Well OK, we are going to do that too, but we figured we would start with the fun stuff since most others would start with what AMD handed them. I spent some quality time here this week with the drill press. Thankfully the Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power, that we used to overclock our 7600K to 5.1GHz/3600MHz on air (shown in the video below), came with a backplate that had mounting points for the new AMD AM4 socket. This allowed me to use it as a template for making new mount points on our Koolance AMD AM3 water block. Also it was a good time to take the block apart and clean it up since it has sat unused for so so long now. Here are some shots of the setup.

Links to preorder Ryzen CPUs and Motherboards.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You know it's going to be a good'er when he's throwing out the preorder links in his preview posts.

You know it's going to be a good'er when he's throwing out the preorder links in his preview posts.
I would not make any assumptions about anything. I just know that a lot of folks around here are going to buy it site unseen....or review unseen. Might as well try to get some commissions in to pay the bills.

But..... where's the RGB? :p

Can't wait for the review on this! It feels like the early K7 days again! :)

I been a fan of KYLE and HARDOCP since the AMD K5 processor. And i know one thing.... if Kyle said dont be a pussy and preorder the Ryzen. he is telling us he has seen the numbers...and A M D is back!!!

I was a little later in 2001 during the Socket A days (got the Abit KT7-RAID and Globalwin cooler based on reviews here), but yeah it has been my go-to ever since. Unbiased and in depth testing have kept me coming back. While yes being a huge fan of AMD I always hope for Kyle to give their stuff rave reviews, the reality is it's been a while since I would have expected that for one of their CPUs.

I don't know boss, you do see kinda excited about this release. Then again it could be just from being happy about finally having a new CPU to review for the first time in like 6 years that's not another tick/tock 2% faster Intel offering.

I'm taking it as a good sign that AMD has finally introduced some much needed competition into the stagnant CPU market.

Not much use checking hardware review sites when you would realistically just buy from one company. Competition drives down prices, increases innovation, motivates consumers to explore.

Not much use checking hardware review sites when you would realistically just buy from one company. Competition drives down prices, increases innovation, motivates consumers to explore.

Umm...yeah, that was kinda what I was getting at. I think that's what we're all excited about. I don't think that everybody are closet AMD fanboys, we're all fans of PC hardware and since there hasn't been any competition in the CPU market for nearly a decade, the idea of AMD finally coming out with a viable alternative to Intel is good news for all of us. I just have a feeling if Zen was Bulldozer v2, we wouldn't be seeing glimpses of optimism in posts like these.

If Kyle's reviews are good (why no 1800x?) I'll likely be buying one if it overclocks well.

I'll probably be waiting for EK to come out with a monoblock for a good motherboard.

Kyle this is exciting stuff brother! Keep it up. Damn I can't wait for you to publish the review on the 1700X, since we know its done already haha. Damn NDA will lift in a few more days ;P

Oh and I know the answer ....

Its not one or the other.... its both drug dealing and computers at the same time lol

Ryzen.. hmm.. is it Risen (AMD rises from the ashes) or Rye-zen (bitter mysticism)... only [H] benchmarks will tell.

1k8tha.jpg

truth is Ryzen is pretty good dang cpu. From what I have seen.

AMD has thrown me for a loop, on getting a review sample, but that's ok they will either send one or not, I will buy one if they don't. I beginning to think that this go around I will have to purchase one. Musta made the shit list :-(

Umm...yeah, that was kinda what I was getting at. I think that's what we're all excited about. I don't think that everybody are closet AMD fanboys, we're all fans of PC hardware and since there hasn't been any competition in the CPU market for nearly a decade, the idea of AMD finally coming out with a viable alternative to Intel is good news for all of us. I just have a feeling if Zen was Bulldozer v2, we wouldn't be seeing glimpses of optimism in posts like these.

I'm not a closet AMD fanboy. I'm an Intel fanboy. Even I'm excited to see AMD's release and how it'll be lower, meet, or beat Intel's current lineup. I'm all for competition, even if I don't need these big jumps in performance.

Ooh this is almost exactly what I was wanting to see. The 1700 and 1700x beat to death on big water. That 1800x leak the other day with all 8 cores at 5.2ghz on ln2 got me excited. Hoping to see 4.5-4.7 on all cores with water.

Ooh this is almost exactly what I was wanting to see. The 1700 and 1700x beat to death on big water. That 1800x leak the other day with all 8 cores at 5.2ghz on ln2 got me excited. Hoping to see 4.5-4.7 on all cores with water.

I'll be happy just maxing out my 1700 at 3.7 on all cores and anything over that from my lowly asus prime plus b350 on air is just icing. My trusty D14 continues to stay strong and am4 brackets are on their way.

Though I'm super curious to mess with it on a per core basis see if i can do something like 4 corea maxing out at 3.5 and other 4 at 4.0 or something.

My main PC use case is gaming, and as such I've seen nothing yet to make me feel like I need an "upgrade" to the performance of my 3770k, however I am interested in more recent stuff my PC lacks, like nvme and usb 3.1 support, so I was looking to upgrade on that basis.
Until recently it hadn't even occurred to me though to look at AMD, I was a big s939 fan, but switched to Nehalem when that ran out of road and haven't looked back, until now. If ryzen lives up to the hype there's a good chance I'll switch platforms

From what we have actually seen, there is not much a review can tell that will change the "recommended buy" award from Ryzen CPUs at their price points:

- they matched game-wise Intel CPUs that cost much more
- their mobos are on par in price/specs with Intel's
-competition is a good thing for any market

things that kept me away from this preorder wave:

- Ryzen is not an upgrade to my main rig
- Wife and kids need an APU, not an 8 core beast
-Optane drives can be as game changing as SSDs were.
-I want to support AMD as much as possible, which means upgrading GPUs to Vega.
-I still hope that AMD has something planned for the workstation market that can replace my main rig.

As someone who has been agitating to get [H]'s buying links more visible, I hope Kyle does this for EVERY product. I use adblocking, so I cannot see the "normal" links. Embedding them in his posts makes it easy for me to support [H].

A lot of people on these forums have been taking the advertisements as "Kyle's promoting it so it must be the best thing since Betty White." So... keep that in mind.

It's the first time (That I've seen since way-before 2011... I forgot my original user account ;) ) that I've seen that type of promoting. So I would too, bank on Kyle's promotion as a round-about way of getting through an NDA. As a strong hint that it's really good.

maybe.. lol

although if the cinbench numbers are legit it seems pretty damn good for multithreaded applications.. 5.2Ghz beating a 6Ghz 5960x and a 36 thread xeon e5 2699 seems pretty damn nice.. if anyone's curious of how much of an improvement it is over bulldozer the FX 9590 @ 7.67Ghz using all 8 threads only scored 1218 CB so yeah this should be quite interesting come the 28th.

my AMD fanboy inside hopes they kick intel's ass but my realistic side in me just hopes they're at least within 5-10% so i can grab a cheap 1400x and not have to dig through used item sales on amazon to build a new system.

-I still hope that AMD has something planned for the workstation market that can replace my main rig.

aren't they planning on releasing a 32 thread ryzen based opteron? though i wouldn't expect an SR2 type motherboard for it though any time soon.

Last edited:
aren't they planning on releasing a 32 thread ryzen based opteron? though i wouldn't expect an SR2 type motherboard for it though any time soon.

Any fair priced High frequency + High core count solution that can replace the SR2 as a gaming prosumer workstation would be enough reason to upgrade. Under Intel's monopoly the chips that i desire: versions of E5-2687W are very expensive, take a long time to become ebay used parts sale, AND are not overclockable. Ryzen is so powerful that even a locked 3.6Ghz 8-core could help me if available in a dual or quad socket mobo.

As someone who has been agitating to get [H]'s buying links more visible, I hope Kyle does this for EVERY product. I use adblocking, so I cannot see the "normal" links. Embedding them in his posts makes it easy for me to support [H].
Please don't block ads on [H]. Kyle's not independently wealthy, and he can't bring us this site out of the kindness of his heart.

Back on topic: I too wish the APUs were coming out sooner, because I'd take the plunge and rebuild my HTPCs if they were. I may dive in with one of them and grab myself an RX460 to go along side - just to have a little fun. Unless Kyle wants to let me permanently borrow that Titan X in the picture on the front page :)

There are a lot of "non-pussies" watching with extreme eagerness at what that little 1700x can do. Question is.. for those of us with H100i bought for 2500k/2600ks will a suitable adapter exist, will we need to fabricate something, or should we just buy a new water cooler?

There are a lot of "non-pussies" watching with extreme eagerness at what that little 1700x can do. Question is.. for those of us with H100i bought for 2500k/2600ks will a suitable adapter exist, will we need to fabricate something, or should we just buy a new water cooler?

You should query Corsair, as far as I can tell, they have been num on Ryzen.

Back