AMD Ryzen 1700 owner now!

p05ta1

Limp Gawd
title is correct! I am now a new Ryzen PC user.
This cpu is way better than the old pile driver FX8120.
Cinebench score 1393
old FX was 444

Only issue I have is Corsair ddr4 3200 not running at correct speed yet.

do you know what modules the ram has or if it's single/dual rank? another thing you can try if you have the options in your bios is to turn off GDM and DDR4 power down.. turning those off fixed all my stability issues with hynix based ram.

this is a good reference to use to see what you potentially have and for people looking to buy DDR4 3000+ for ryzen.

i put spoiler tags since the forum wants to post the entire reddit article which is really long

Last edited:
title is correct! I am now a new Ryzen PC user.
This cpu is way better than the old pile driver FX8120.
Cinebench score 1393
old FX was 444

Only issue I have is Corsair ddr4 3200 not running at correct speed yet.
Congratulations. Got my 1800X/Taichi/WC Vega64 this passed week, only now getting her going full song because I had to wait for the Corsair 110I GTX AM4 Bracket. Well before putting it in my air-conditioned case, before I got the bracket I modified one of my many AM3+ quite like the redneck heritage I am proud of, just not trusting for the long haul. Also I got the FlareX memory and it was definitely plug and play, just set the profile and done. Also the Taichi board is the best board I have ever used, flawless.

As a added note Steam Streaming works flawlessly. On my previous FX8350 it was ok for lower quality games but a NO-GO for higher quality ones, even FFXIII.

Sweet me to. I just got mine together last night.Have been loading up today. Have not overclocked yet. It runs so much cooler than my older FX...benches higher but I cant tell much in games my FX cpu played fine still. I only play at 2560x1080 though. My ram as of now will only run at 2933. I'll mess around with everything later. May have to buy another brand.
......edit I put this one under a Kraken x52 water cooler. My old one wouldnt fit am4. I cant even hear this PC

Congratulations. Got my 1800X/Taichi/WC Vega64 this passed week, only now getting her going full song because I had to wait for the Corsair 110I GTX AM4 Bracket. Well before putting it in my air-conditioned case, before I got the bracket I modified one of my many AM3+ quite like the redneck heritage I am proud of, just not trusting for the long haul. Also I got the FlareX memory and it was definitely plug and play, just set the profile and done. Also the Taichi board is the best board I have ever used, flawless.

As a added note Steam Streaming works flawlessly. On my previous FX8350 it was ok for lower quality games but a NO-GO for higher quality ones, even FFXIII.

Ran with an A/C cooled case for many years, bought new case several years back, insulated it on the inside but never hooked up the A/C unit to it :LOL:. Just A/Cing the room which for VR makes it rather nice. I would be interested in OC potential of RyZen when cooled down 20c-30c cooler than normal below a good water cooler temperature. I use to run my case near freezing temperature, actually around 5c. Took it down to -9c a few times and wiped out a hard drive and a case fan. I guess the lubrication got hard. Anyways cooling everything does have the benefits, as long as you don't get to excessive I might add. Was planning on an external box, have a 360mm EK heat exchanger and setup (not installed yet) and was going to run rather cold air through it and the case. Would be nice to know if that would actually give any real benefit. As for that matter, Vega too if cooled to some rather icy temperatures I wonder how she would perform.

Ran with an A/C cooled case for many years, bought new case several years back, insulated it on the inside but never hooked up the A/C unit to it :LOL:. Just A/Cing the room which for VR makes it rather nice. I would be interested in OC potential of RyZen when cooled down 20c-30c cooler than normal below a good water cooler temperature. I use to run my case near freezing temperature, actually around 5c. Took it down to -9c a few times and wiped out a hard drive and a case fan. I guess the lubrication got hard. Anyways cooling everything does have the benefits, as long as you don't get to excessive I might add. Was planning on an external box, have a 360mm EK heat exchanger and setup (not installed yet) and was going to run rather cold air through it and the case. Would be nice to know if that would actually give any real benefit. As for that matter, Vega too if cooled to some rather icy temperatures I wonder how she would perform.
No I don't chill it too much, roughly 70s F, mid 20s C. Biggest best part is NO DUST. Well that and year round OCs.

Reactions: noko
like this
Only real issue so far is the windows 10 activation.
I just booted into old set up and all looked good.
RATS, not activated.
Did Microsoft help chat ....20 min them controlling my pc.

1) reinstall windows 7 with the key you provided then upgrade again.
2) Microsoft store and buy a new key .
Time to install my ssd and activate win7 and get my active Genuine ticket.

Only real issue so far is the windows 10 activation.
I just booted into old set up and all looked good.
RATS, not activated.
Did Microsoft help chat ....20 min them controlling my pc.

1) reinstall windows 7 with the key you provided then upgrade again.
2) Microsoft store and buy a new key .
Time to install my ssd and activate win7 and get my active Genuine ticket.
I just entered my WIN7 key and all good.

COngrats you have just bought one of the fastest CPUs for the money possible conceivable lol...

Welcome back to Club AMD not that you ever left with your FX and all but now your really in the club~!

I didn't want to go through the hassle. My win 10 was a win7 upgrade. I was leery but bought a win 10 pro key for 47 bucks online and downloaded win 10 from MS to usb and activated and it worked fine.

Welcome! Im rocking a 1700 and a gtx 1080

No I don't chill it too much, roughly 70s F, mid 20s C. Biggest best part is NO DUST. Well that and year round OCs.
I know that dust free effect, you can take a video card after a couple years, motherboard etc. the same when it was installed, like new. Many benefits, also for me it made the machine much more quieter since it was insulated inside and all ports was covered except for the supply and return to the A/C unit. If you do decide to really cool it down, hook up a separate temperature controller/thermostat to the A/C unit compressor and insulate the case so it does not sweat.

I know that dust free effect, you can take a video card after a couple years, motherboard etc. the same when it was installed, like new. Many benefits, also for me it made the machine much more quieter since it was insulated inside and all ports was covered except for the supply and return to the A/C unit. If you do decide to really cool it down, hook up a separate temperature controller/thermostat to the A/C unit compressor and insulate the case so it does not sweat.
I insulated mine after a small part sweated. At first I thought one of my cats was marking my Case, lol. Insulating definitely allows my to run all my fans 100% except the Deltamega fast fan. At 12V it is loud and now on my WC vega. Although I did test it and it wasn't as loud on the Vega so maybe 12V is possible now. :angelic:

What is your overclock on that 1800X? I get 4ghz on my 1700X running games, but I have to take it down to 3.8ghz for DC apps like BOINC.

What is your overclock on that 1800X? I get 4ghz on my 1700X running games, but I have to take it down to 3.8ghz for DC apps like BOINC.
no OC yet. Wanted to make sure all is good and stable first. That and I have no clue where to start yet, saved a link for my specific MoBo so soon enough... . I was the go to guy with FX and am at the absolute opposite side with Zen. My how things have changed, lol.

Holy crap!!! Decided to give it a go and just went for 4.0Ghz setting voltage to 1.38125V. Figured it wasn't enough voltage but lo and behold it was. HWiNFO64 shows 2 voltages for the CPU: CPU CORE Voltage 1.369V and Vcore 1.376V. Hit 60C which isn't too bad with 16Threads.

Reactions: noko
like this
Holy crap!!! Decided to give it a go and just went for 4.0Ghz setting voltage to 1.38125V. Figured it wasn't enough voltage but lo and behold it was. HWiNFO64 shows 2 voltages for the CPU: CPU CORE Voltage 1.369V and Vcore 1.376V. Hit 60C which isn't too bad with 16Threads.

Very nice. Now see if its stable. I can boot into Windows with my [email protected] but a minute or two of OCCTPT crashes. Pushed up to 1.425 so far. I could go higher but don't really want to for everyday usage so guess I didn't win the silicon lottery. Its very happy running at 3.8 on 1.3v though.

Very nice. Now see if its stable. I can boot into Windows with my [email protected] but a minute or two of OCCTPT crashes. Pushed up to 1.425 so far. I could go higher but don't really want to for everyday usage so guess I didn't win the silicon lottery. Its very happy running at 3.8 on 1.3v though.
it is 100% stable. I couldn't believe it. May try higher but fine for now.

It is that A/C cooling I tell ya, it can go a very long ways since it cools everything. Now take that sucker down low :cyclops:

It is that A/C cooling I tell ya, it can go a very long ways since it cools everything. Now take that sucker down low :cyclops:
I think I am going to have to consult your Pstate thread to figure out how to get C&Q to work. It stays at 4.0Ghz 24/7 now. Not a big deal since the temps stay ultra low when Idle. Cool part was during Stress testing it was only using ~230W from the wall (1000W EVGA 80plus Gold PSU). In contrast My 8350 would use 340W-ish. Its ok I think my Vega makes up the difference over my 290. lol

I think I am going to have to consult your Pstate thread to figure out how to get C&Q to work. It stays at 4.0Ghz 24/7 now. Not a big deal since the temps stay ultra low when Idle. Cool part was during Stress testing it was only using ~230W from the wall (1000W EVGA 80plus Gold PSU). In contrast My 8350 would use 340W-ish. Its ok I think my Vega makes up the difference over my 290. lol
Well if you do, please post your results, how it worked out and any bios screens etc. for others to gain the benefit too. Thanks

latest bios stable at 2933 ram speed now.
AMD keep on pushing updates I know ram will hit 3200 soon.
The ram kit I am running is:

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 VERSION 5.39 [16-18-18-36 @ 1.35v]

Last edited:

hopefully and soon. I however am lucky I waited a bit before buying. I knew the Gskill FlareX was good, and it def is 3200 14-14-14. And I knew the Taichi was good, not seen one complaint. This setup has been hasslefree and best I have ever had by a long shot.

Rams been at 3200 for ryzen lol... been At for a while. Just bump volts to 1.38 or 9 or 4 and see if she's stable.

I have become entirely content with my 1700 and 1700X now. I have to admit, some of the older FX boards though, like the Asus 990FX r3 and 970 Pro look better and it is a real shame that they did not produce boards like that early on in the FX life cycle.

Back