AMD RX Vega FreeSync vs NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI G-Sync Coming Soon

Also do you plan to do some benchmarking with the Beyond3d suite? if you dont have it why not ask for it since Anandtech and PCGH got it

Like others on here I am very interested in the results of this test. What will the monitor resolution be? My guess is 1440p?

Jesus Christ, they're still recycling that generic reference 390 heatsink design from 2015 that went onto be the polaris reference.

F7sac07.png

Per Kyle it's an Engineering Sample, no way would they waste effort on a new design....

i dont know if i am delusional, but im still hoping raja pulls an ace out of his ...hat, like the activation of rasterization do boost performance a bit, and cut on power draw, then coupled with HBCC turned OFF cuts power draw, and we get like 100-150watt less, allowing vega to clock to like 1.8k at 300watt.
but my guess as usual just gonna facepalm on a 400watt 1080 QQ with a 484mm² die size, it's quite the failure from raja, because i think vega is all on him not the previous lead.

I myself kind of like it, actually.

If its the same as polaris its incredibly cheap feeling, the reference polaris looked like it had the same material as fury x on the front but it was just a cheap plastic with a similar look to it. And the less said about the heatsink the better, looked like an old am2 heatsink cut to size and a copper slug plonked onto the base. This will presumably have the same vapor chamber as the FE card or possibly one much bigger. Can;t see it being another hacksawed am2 cooler under the shroud.

If its the same as polaris its incredibly cheap feeling, the reference polaris looked like it had the same material as fury x on the front but it was just a cheap plastic with a similar look to it. And the less said about the heatsink the better, looked like an old am2 heatsink cut to size and a copper slug plonked onto the base. This will presumably have the same vapor chamber as the FE card or possibly one much bigger. Can;t see it being another hacksawed am2 cooler under the shroud.

If they put a Wraith Spire compatible mounting setup on there.... that'd be ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

Many people don't have add-in cards besides their GPU, so much room for activities!

Looking forward to these results! new GPU this Fall! Vega/1080/1080Ti... Perf / dollar will win me.

Given the fact that this is a Freesync vs. G-Sync test and given the demonstrations they've been doing so far, I have the sinking suspicion that AMD is pushing the total cost vs. gaming experience angle. Check out Adored's latest video on that. My guess is that AMD wants us to see that we can't tell the difference between the two when playing them, and given the cheaper cost of Freesync, you'll save a little money while getting the same "experience". So, we can kind of guess that the price of an average freesync monitor plus Vega is less than the price of a comparable G-Sync monitor plus GTX1080.

Using fuzzy math here, say that a G-sync 4K monitor is $300 more than a comparable freesync model. Then Vega can be priced $200 more than a GTX1080 at say, $700, and you can still save $100 while getting the same experience. Therefore, my guess on Vega reference pricing is somewhere in the neighborhood of $649.99 to $699.99. Hope I'm wrong.

1080 is 500
1080ti is 700

Both sell well.

RX Vega will be $600 in my estimation.

They don't have to price it at 1070 levels for it to sell, contrary to some of the comments I've read.

There are those of us with freesync monitors that are eagerly awaiting release.

Did they have a guy stand over your shoulder and click "extract" and "install" and no Afterburner or anything running?

All I keep hearing is "freesync, freesync, freesync". I swear it's the new AMD buzzword now that "Async compute, async compute, async compute" has drifted off into The Ashes of the Singularity-ville.

It's like, "Don't mind that our card can't compete, just get a Freesync monitor and you'll never know!"

At least Freesync is far more tangible item than a 5-10% (at best) performance improvement feature.

It is handy and even if not perfect it's a good selling feature for a PC as an ecosystem... and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to invest into it!

1080 is 500
1080ti is 700

Both sell well.

RX Vega will be $600 in my estimation.

They don't have to price it at 1070 levels for it to sell, contrary to some of the comments I've read.

There are those of us with freesync monitors that are eagerly awaiting release.

it's more trickier than that, AMD doesn't have offerings in most common and lucrative segment 300-500$ and volume for market share, their card comes a whole year after the competing card ( performance wise ), alot less efficient, the pricing will make or break Vega, it's really critical.
i don't think AMD have much of a choice here, they will have to place the cutdown vega at 300-350$, and the XT at 400-500$, if they want to charge more they need to be on the heels of the Ti's performance, and i don't think this is going to happen, regardless of the cost, they are too late, and apparently too far behind to look for margins, they really shoudn't tear down the mindshare Ryzen started to regain.

Benchmarks showing the 1080 compared to the frontier edition of VEGA show it's performance being up to 25% faster and 30% slower depending on what part of the rendering engine is being examined. Actual comparison for 1 game the Nvidia 1080 was 8% faster. The VEGA was 18% faster than the Nvidia 1070.

If the above is true, and it holds no stronger value proposition than just purchasing a NVIDA 1080 the price needs to be $500 - $525 at release to sell.

Did they have a guy stand over your shoulder and click "extract" and "install" and no Afterburner or anything running?

All I keep hearing is "freesync, freesync, freesync". I swear it's the new AMD buzzword now that "Async compute, async compute, async compute" has drifted off into The Ashes of the Singularity-ville.

It's like, "Don't mind that our card can't compete, just get a Freesync monitor and you'll never know!"
Do you mean
DOOM. Ashes of the Singularity,Rise of the tomb raider,Hitman

Do you mean
DOOM. Ashes of the Singularity,Rise of the tomb raider,Hitman

No. People actually play Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Hitman. They have real relevance, AotS was only ever an AMD async compute game demo with single to double digit players online at any one time.

Try not to bust a thumbnail this time.

I'm looking at a new panel now and would love to see the results of this shootout.

I kinda miss freesync, but I'm playing Doom at 200fps now so... I was waiting for Vega now I don't have to. If the gsync demo goes well maybe I'll finally cave in the last of my ethics and get a monitor filled with that icky green poison.

Kyle AMD is doing great on the CPU side, but do you think Nvidia will steal the show with a surprise Geforce 2080GTX announcement.

too early, Volta general consumer cards won't come out till EOY or early next year.

Looking forward to this. I hope Vega is comparable to 1080 ti or at least close.

Also the Gsync tax is more like $200 and not $300.

Actually, the worst G-Sync tax is "this monitor doesn't exist in G-Sync" tax.

EG Asus XG32VQ (32" 1440p 144hz IPS monitor)'s equivalent G-Sync "tax" is "it doesn't exist".

At least $300 difference still means it's available.

Also, the abundance of FreeSync monitors that are not available in G-Sync is why I am extra disappointed in Vega in its current state.

Actually, the worst G-Sync tax is "this monitor doesn't exist in G-Sync" tax.
That is a whole other issue altogether. One that isn't up to AMD or NV.

the abundance of FreeSync monitors that are not available in G-Sync is why I am extra disappointed in Vega in its current state.
How is that a issue with Vega/AMD? NV supposedly could allow Freesync to work on Gsync monitors but has chosen not to.

I'm really hoping AMD surprises me and knocks the the snot out of NV.....who am i kidding......

That is a whole other issue altogether. One that isn't up to AMD or NV.

How is that a issue with Vega/AMD? NV supposedly could allow Freesync to work on Gsync monitors but has chosen not to.
Or implement freesync in their gpu driver software. So Nvidia cards would work with freesync monitors.

Back