AMD RX 550 memory not ramping after sleep

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by BigBadBiologist, Jul 6, 2017.

1. BigBadBiologist

BigBadBiologist 2[H]4U

I just got this card (doing a low-profile card round up thing):
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...14137148&cm_re=amd_550-_-14-137-148-_-Product

The first round of benchmarking looked really good for the setup that I'm running. I came back today and all of my scores were about half of what they were yesterday. After watching GPUz, I noticed that after the computer wakes from sleep that the RAM does not clock up to its proper speed during 3D; it stays at the idle speed. The GPU clocks properly. After rebooting, everything works properly. I've tried 3 other AMD cards and one nVidia in this computer and have not seen anything like this previously.

Has anyone else seen similar behavior with AMD RX 550 cards?

2. TheLAWNoob

TheLAWNoob Limp Gawd

I have a RX 550 and a Ryzen 1700 on my gaming server.

Yesterday I was playing on the server when it suddenly lost connection. Can't ping it, and when I connect the monitor it shows a black screen.

So it's probably a graphics driver problem.

3. BigBadBiologist

BigBadBiologist 2[H]4U

Just wanted to post an update after about 6 months. I haven't used the card much. I've tried it in two other systems and multiple driver revisions with the same result (thanks for suggesting system incompatibility shitty MSI support). I found that the issue can arise after simply letting the monitor sleep (as opposed to the full computer sleep).
    Seems to be similar to the issues reported here:
    https://community.amd.com/thread/203707

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. BigBadBiologist

BigBadBiologist 2[H]4U

Posting a final update here. I wound up trying the card in a total of 8 systems (i5/i7 (2nd through 6th gen) /AMD A10) with even more driver revisions, and the card exhibited the same problem. Ram would not increase clock speed after sleep. So I RMAed the card and the replacement card does the exact same thing (and they neglected to send a card back with the low profile bracket, pissing me off even further). This seems to be a defective product. No more MSI cards for me!

In a related topic, does anyone know how to edit video BIOSes' minimal mem clock speeds?