AMD rx 480 flashing to 8 GB tut

So does the rx480 actually have 8GB on it, and only using 4GB?
Seems like a strange move by AMD if so.

easiest way to find out is for someone with a 4GB to pop off the heat sink and see if there are 8GB worth of chips installed. then flash it and see if it becomes a 8GB. if the physical chips are there its totally possible. no chips then its impossible.

So does the rx480 actually have 8GB on it, and only using 4GB?
Seems like a strange move by AMD if so.
It is so they can technically launch the 480 4GB and show it was out there for $199, even if the launch batch was very limited and not to be replaced for 4+ weeks :)
So AMD gets perception of launching better than 1070, below the critical $200 mark so perception is the low price even though now everyone can only buy the 8GB, that said it is not really that expensive for the 8GB reference.
Cheers

If this is legitimate I owe that other thread starter an apology...

If this is legitimate I owe that other thread starter an apology...

No need to apologize :) you didn't say anything really, having doubt is always good! Well unless you jumped on top of him lol

So AMD is just getting less money for the same model card as the 8gb, I'm surprised at this, I guess its good for consumers that are willing to flash.

I wonder just how many of these gems ended up in North America? This is the Radeon kind of stuff we all like

Well I think its going to be a good amount of the ref cards, AIB cards probably won't have this though well maybe not cause AIB's buy the ram off of AMD..

Someone mentioned that it was actually cheaper for AMD to just mass produce a single board than to actually not solder on 4 chips. I'm not sure how realistic this is but perhaps the cost savings of not having to deal with the logistics of having two separate assembly fabs and keep track of two separate models vs just making one was actually greater. Perhaps it was cheaper to just have the bios flash at the end and a sticker on the box was the cheapest route.

Someone mentioned that it was actually cheaper for AMD to just mass produce a single board than to actually not solder on 4 chips. I'm not sure how realistic this is but perhaps the cost savings of not having to deal with the logistics of having two separate assembly fabs and keep track of two separate models vs just making one was actually greater. Perhaps it was cheaper to just have the bios flash at the end and a sticker on the box was the cheapest route.

I can see it from mass production point of view, but cost for the ram packages, well maybe there isn't much of a difference between 4 and 8 gb?

4 gb packages has the same chip count as the 8 gb chip count, just that the ram chip size is cut in half.

If the chips are cheaper than man power, logistics, and machinery.... Think about it. What do you think a single ram chip costs? How much would you have to pay a couple guys an hour to keep track of two different products vs just slapping a 4gb sticker on the box as its packaged

They buy it packages, so I guess each package cost isn't significant enough to do both.

zAyDLdV.jpg

Thx to pharma at B3D,

looks like its cheaper to add a sticker than to change the box art!

Back