AMD RTG Hires Hardware.fr GPU Editor Damien Triolet

I am just using the same term the marketing guys used to use and I feel it fits. It's a opinion and everyone has one, doesn't mean they have to agree. I see Titan card owners and that is what pops in my mind and I doubt I am the only one that thinks that. Their right to own it tho and use it how they see fit and when I sold my 290X cards to miners I had the same thought, now they just have to hope they make their money back and Eth does not crash.

Dude eth didn't crash lol, it went down and rebounded and flattened out, just takes longer to make their money back, the 30 k I just spend on mining rigs in the last 2 months instead of taking 2.5 months get that back its going to take 4 months, I'm ok with that. Does that sound stupid to you now? by 6 months I'll make 50k out of that 30 k lol. Is that stupid?

Maybe so, but no one knows my financial position so why am I stupid according to them for buying a Titan? I spend far more money on my range habit. SGAmmo loves me. :)

OH ffs people will think you're stupid for buying a cup of coffee. The value isn't important... I'm just pointing out you don't have to be a fan boy to have such an opinion. Painting it in that light is just trolling.

That's my biggest issue with the AMD fanbois. For some reason they think everyone should only spend a limited amount on video cards and anything over that limited amount is stupid. I don't know why they are so adamant about what other people spend on their hobby.

You can spend whatever you want, wont change what I think about you being a sucker. Your choice and right and my right to have a opinion about it. My question is why does my opinion bother you so much? Perhaps your need to be so defensive about it, might show how you really feel about your purchase decision. I have spent far more then most would ever be comfortable with on my race car and I know many think it's a waste of money. I dont defend it tho I just go out and enjoy it, they just dont know what their missing.

You can spend whatever you want, wont change what I think about you being a sucker. Your choice and right and my right to have a opinion about it. My question is why does my opinion bother you so much? Perhaps your need to be so defensive about it, might show how you really feel about your purchase decision. I have spent far more then most would ever be comfortable with on my race car and I know many think it's a waste of money. I dont defend it tho I just go out and enjoy it, they just dont know what their missing.

It doesn't bother me so much as it confuses me. The amount of money involved is simply peanuts. That's why I wonder why people are so worried about a few hundred dollars on a hobby.

I don't think it bothers people much its just odd

Its like me telling you the hellcat is a crap car and you are stupid for buying it. Mods this is an example, I don't feel that way about gideon, Personally I don't care of the Hell Cat I think its way over priced for what it gives out.

Should people behave that way lol?

I think that is a very bad attitude to have.

My dad doesn't know anything about computers, but I know he has been looking for something to invest in for about 6 months now outside of stocks or real estate, and I know how much money he is willing to invest too. I told him about GPU mining. He thought I was crazy lol. Well I know that is what he thought cause of the diatribes about how banks and what not operate and all the IRS talk. But he didn't say I was crazy lol, he said its your money if you want to do it go ahead, but he don't feel comfortable with doing it cause he don't know enough about it.

Its like warren buffet he doesn't invest in tech stocks at all. Is he stupid not to? No he has his reasons not to. He doesn't understand tech companies that well, so he hired others that do and lets them take care of that part of his portfolio.

Certainly can't do a worse job than Roy.

Word through the grapevine is they are frantically trying to discover the name of NV's future architecture so they can make disparaging comments about it in their next marketing video :p

Also they need to copy their code name lol

They have no damn originality when making product names?

would love to meet the focus group that came up with that idea, must have been ex employee's of Xerox

Also they need to copy their code name lol

They have no damn originality when making product names?
If you can't beat them - copy them. This is a shift and a trend AMD/RTG seems to be taking - where is the innovative AMD/aTI of old advancing memory technologies, X64, Dual Core, advance API's etc. Maybe too many eggs in one basket. Ryzen is excellent for AMD and good for them and us as well. Vega? Does not look so hot at this time other then running hot and slow.

Why does AMD need a GPU editor? Not sure of the purpose.

If you can't beat them - copy them. This is a shift and a trend AMD/RTG seems to be taking - where is the innovative AMD/aTI of old advancing memory technologies, X64, Dual Core, advance API's etc. Maybe too many eggs in one basket. Ryzen is excellent for AMD and good for them and us as well. Vega? Does not look so hot at this time other then running hot and slow.

Why does AMD need a GPU editor? Not sure of the purpose.

Well that's the thing with good products there is no need to piggy back on others marketing ;). Piggy backing only works when ya want to fool consumers, it doesn't let a corporation distinguish themselves from the competition, but says hey where are here too just higher numbers or same name.

Well that's the thing with good products there is no need to piggy back on others marketing ;). Piggy backing only works when ya want to fool consumers, it doesn't let a corporation distinguish themselves from the competition, but says hey where are here too just higher numbers or same name.
Which surprised me really with AMD using X370 and X399 for their chipsets - but it is going further then that. On the Ryzen or cpu side they are doing good and hopefully Threadripper does well. I am almost expecting AMD to have a Vega GTX or something strange as that. Maybe it is AMD humor that is being developed here - in some ways it is funny, especially X399 - What is Intel going to name their next high end chipset :D

not humor, actually its bad marketing, what would be better is to start off with 1.0 or something like that, it gives more emphasis on yeah we are back and we are restarting everything. Actually what I think is they never hired a marketing company to rework product branding.

When you look at a campaign it should all be cohesive. I don't see that here, its bits and pieces.

Just like why use FE, damn that got a bad rap lol.

Branding and product recognition should be easy and simple. That's why logos are always simple, easy to recognize, and why companies pay a butt load for them.

And I mean ALOT, I don't know if you know the NEXT systems it was a company that Steve Jobs made after he got kicked out of apple the first time lol. he paid the guy like 500k or something for the next logo. Coke, NBC, Intel, all of them pay quite a bit for new logos and what not.

Last edited:
not humor, actually its bad marketing, what would be better is to start off with 1.0 or something like that, it gives more emphasis on yeah we are back and we are restarting everything. Actually what I think is they never hired a marketing company to rework product branding.

When you look at a campaign it should all be cohesive. I don't see that here, its bits and pieces.

Just like why use FE, damn that got a bad rap lol.
lol, I find it amusing and also look at how much conversation AMD can generate even when they are a smaller percentage of the market. They get almost 50% of the gpu discussions while only having 30%, and about 50% of the CPU market when what? 20%. :joyful:

So something is working for them in keeping and getting the talk about them. Evidence is clear here, even you find yourself in endless discussions in AMD sections of this site :).

lol, I find it amusing and also look at how much conversation AMD can generate even when they are a smaller percentage of the market. They get almost 50% of the gpu discussions while only having 30%, and about 50% of the CPU market when what? 20%. :joyful:

So something is working for them in keeping and getting the talk about them. Evidence is clear here, even you find yourself in endless discussions in AMD sections of this site :).

Good talk or bad talk is always good for companies in the lower end of the marketshare, it works ok for private companies to some degree, not for public companies. Cause share holders look at the good and bad talk too. Rumors are one thing, but actual relevance to real life expectations, is much more importance though.

Good talk or bad talk is always good for companies in the lower end of the marketshare, it works ok for private companies to some degree, not for public companies. Cause share holders look at the good and bad talk too. Rumors are one thing, but actual relevance to real life expectations, is much more importance though.
So what you are really saying, hinting at is in the AMD sections/talk you find smarter folks. ;)

lol well depends if its business or tech talk :)

Actually doesn't really matter, I've given nV fanboys a cold shoulder too. I just want conversations that I can talk about, intellectually with out all the BS.

Last edited:
hehe yeah its still about that. They hired, Hardware.Fr, Damien, They hired, Rys Beyond 3d and hired tech report Scott W. in the past year, yeah great company for influencing three large media sites about tech LOL, is it really good? I don't' see it.

It doesn't matter who the fuckin hire AMD won't change shit till they change their products image. And that only happens with better products. Not better marketing.

hehe yeah its still about that. They hired, Hardware.Fr, Damien, They hired, Rys Beyond 3d and hired tech report Scott W. in the past year, yeah great company for influencing three large media sites about tech LOL, is it really good? I don't' see it.

It doesn't matter who the fuckin hire AMD won't change shit till they change their products image. And that only happens with better products. Not better marketing.

Eh, most product launches are better received when expectations are managed correctly and messaging is more consistent/realistic. This is something AMD hasn't done well with, and having these guys on board can help communicate better than they have been.

Tech journalists should be the best ones to help frame products in a way that makes the target markets understand them better.

Yeah but they are trying to influence websites by doing so, I don't see anything else other then that.

Yeah but they are trying to influence websites by doing so, I don't see anything else other then that.

You always see the worst in things tho. I think they hired them to help them understand the market better. They have made good cards and have not captured more of the market like they should have. Influencing a review site only get you so far, eventually everyone finds out the true performance pretty quickly. So I dont see that happening, but perhaps they are trying to improve their dialog with those sites and there is nothing wrong with that unless all we get are Doom fps for performance reviews. You cant say they need new marketing blood and then slam them cause they go out and get new people. Hopefully their marketing improves as we all know they need help with it.

You always see the worst in things tho. I think they hired them to help them understand the market better. They have made good cards and have not captured more of the market like they should have. Influencing a review site only get you so far, eventually everyone finds out the true performance pretty quickly. So I dont see that happening, but perhaps they are trying to improve their dialog with those sites and there is nothing wrong with that unless all we get are Doom fps for performance reviews. You cant say they need new marketing blood and then slam them cause they go out and get new people. Hopefully their marketing improves as we all know they need help with it.

Yes I always look at the worst and then evaluate the best, its always worked for me in my job, in my projects,in my investments and in my personal life. Never has anyone said otherwise. So?

Influencing other only go so far, when AMD can't keep their expectations realistic in the eyes of their consumers it will only hurt them.

Doesn't matter who is there to talk for them, cause their upper management has done a bang up job so far and they don't let the lower guys speak up in conferences, so does it really matter who the F they hire?

Its pathetic when the management of company can't do things right, but need to go outside of themselves to get help. Cause shit will always be shit. Until you get rid of the shit and the newcomers to can have free rain.

Fuck they needed other people to understand their own market a market they have been in longer then Nvidia!

Yes AMD and ATI have been in the graphics industry for quite a few more years than nV lol.

yet they have to hire people like Rys, Scott and Demein, who are pretty much neophytes compared to some of the employees @ AMD? (don't get me wrong, they are good at what they do, but they don't have the experience as Raja, or Roy taylor, etc.)

What crock is that?

If Raja and Roy Talyer can't see where they are fucked up, doesn't matter who the they hire, cause they won't do anything for AMD, they can't.

This is what I see, and always say, if a company needs to outside of its self for marketing, they are fucked. Cause marketing is only an extension of their product, if its the goal of a product, its never good......

Ya never need marketing before your ground work, Never works that way, not in a mature market, consumers aren't stupid.

why don't we hear about AMD hiring talented engineers? Oh yeah cause engineers aren't marketable people lol

This is what gives them headlines right? BS marketing, to the forefront.

Jesus.

You might think they look good because they hire a website owner, what I see, is a mediocre capability of management to give their products a thumbs up.

If they are they so fuckin out of tune with their general consumer, they shouldn't be in business to begin with lol.

Don't feed people BS, when the history of AMD and ATi is well know.

Did Dave B do anything for AMD when it came to the public facing side of things?

No he didn't, THIS IS BS marketing, its great they hired someone, but if that person doesn't have the capability to influence the over all scope of their marketing, it will don't do shit for them.

Last edited:
Yes I always look at the worst and then evaluate the best, its always worked for me in my job, in my projects,in my investments and in my personal life. Never has anyone said otherwise. So?

Influencing other only go so far, when AMD can't keep their expectations realistic in the eyes of their consumers it will only hurt them.

Doesn't matter who is there to talk for them, cause their upper management has done a bang up job so far and they don't let the lower guys speak up in conferences, so does it really matter who the F they hire?

Its pathetic when the management of company can't do things right, but need to go outside of themselves to get help. Cause shit will always be shit. Until you get rid of the shit and the newcomers to can have free rain.

Fuck they needed other people to understand their own market a market they have been in longer then Nvidia!

Yes AMD and ATI have been in the graphics industry for quite a few more years than nV lol.

yet they have to hire people like Rys, Scott and Demein, who are pretty much neophytes compared to some of the employees @ AMD? (don't get me wrong, they are good at what they do, but they don't have the experience as Raja, or Roy taylor, etc.)

What crock is that?

If Raja and Roy Talyer can't see where they are fucked up, doesn't matter who the they hire, cause they won't do anything for AMD, they can't.

This is what I see, and always say, if a company needs to outside of its self for marketing, they are fucked. Cause marketing is only an extension of their product, if its the goal of a product, its never good......

Ya never need marketing before your ground work, Never works that way, not in a mature market, consumers aren't stupid.

why don't we hear about AMD hiring talented engineers? Oh yeah cause engineers aren't marketable people lol

This is what gives them headlines right? BS marketing, to the forefront.

Jesus.

You might think they look good because they hire a website owner, what I see, is a mediocre capability of management to give their products a thumbs up.

If they are they so fuckin out of tune with their general consumer, they shouldn't be in business to begin with lol.

Don't feed people BS, when the history of AMD and ATi is well know.

Did Dave B do anything for AMD when it came to the public facing side of things?

No he didn't, THIS IS BS marketing, its great they hired someone, but if that person doesn't have the capability to influence the over all scope of their marketing, it will don't do shit for them.

Hey dude, you should probably calm down a little lol.

Maybe they don't feel like they have good people to bring out and talk and just resort to top leaders, maybe they need people to help them write scripts for speeches that make sense to consumers?

Any extra talent they add can't be directly compared to previous actions when they didn't HAVE that talent?

Also, AMD did bring on Jim Keller and that made big news (Engineer!) and Raja was also big news when he came back on board.... whether or not Raja will ultimately make as big of a splash as Jim did is to be seen, but he doesn't have that much more time to do it in.

AMD needs to hire better engineers to build a decent product, not hire more PR people to keep trying to polish turds.

Hey dude, you should probably calm down a little lol.

Maybe they don't feel like they have good people to bring out and talk and just resort to top leaders, maybe they need people to help them write scripts for speeches that make sense to consumers?

Any extra talent they add can't be directly compared to previous actions when they didn't HAVE that talent?

Also, AMD did bring on Jim Keller and that made big news (Engineer!) and Raja was also big news when he came back on board.... whether or not Raja will ultimately make as big of a splash as Jim did is to be seen, but he doesn't have that much more time to do it in.

Dude, they don't need any of that right now. And they actually do that fine as it is right now.

They need bloody engineers and not in Shanghai lol, they need to set up a second or third GPU engineering team here in the States or Canada.

and narrow your search down to GPU and you will see they aren't doing much yet.

https://jobs.amd.com/search/?q=gpu&locationsearch=

They should just put the job up there, and never take it down lol.

BTW Keller couldn't even surpass what Intel had 3 years ago, so now where is AMD CPU division? Ok lets wait and see what happens in the next couple of Zen iterations vs the competition and go from them before we declare a win for AMD, cause AMD themselves are iffy about their CPU future. Its a bit better then before, but they aren't out of the hole they dug themselves into.

Last edited:

You always go off the deep end man. You couldn't stop with Ryzen until you got banned out of the cpu forum. You need to step back and relax man, its a company it's not always going to do what you think it should. Vega was the end for their current gpu architecture and Navi will be the all new design... why would they be hiring engineers now, the design is already set and you of all people should know that. As for where they hire I have seen plenty of inept engineers here in the states, so I dont think the country really matters. Look up why the Aztec was made and you will see what happens when you have to many engineers on a project with free reign. Every company has their winners and losers on projects but their is no need to get that emotionally invested in it. I would love to see AMD do well, mainly cause I dont want to use Intel products. You got to relax a bit tho, you say you like to discuss things, but nothing you have posted the last few times is a discussion it's just a rant against AMD. I still think everyone is calling Vega to early, will see shortly tho. Plus I dont know anyone that doesn't think AMD could use improvement at marketing and when you hire fro the outside normally means your looking to make big changes.

Dude, they don't need any of that right now. And they actually do that fine as it is right now.

They need bloody engineers and not in Shanghai lol, they need to set up a second or third GPU engineering team here in the States or Canada.

and narrow your search down to GPU and you will see they aren't doing much yet.

https://jobs.amd.com/search/?q=gpu&locationsearch=

They should just put the job up there, and never take it down lol.

BTW Keller couldn't even surpass what Intel had 3 years ago, so now where is AMD CPU division? Ok lets wait and see what happens in the next couple of Zen iterations vs the competition and go from them before we declare a win for AMD, cause AMD themselves are iffy about their CPU future. Its a bit better then before, but they aren't out of the hole they dug themselves into.

64 entries related to GPU isn't enough staff to be adding in one month? Are you insane?

You can't just throw a massive number of staff into the mix and expect results when it comes to engineering... it's actually counterproductive in almost all cases.

Perf/watt on Ryzen at lower clocks/voltage is exceptional, this will be perfect for the server market which AMD needs to recapture for better margins. Jim Keller and the AMD team made a new architecture from the ground up and that is amazing, if you think otherwise you've got some unrealistic expectations.

64 entries related to GPU isn't enough staff to be adding in one month? Are you insane?

You can't just throw a massive number of staff into the mix and expect results when it comes to engineering... it's actually counterproductive in almost all cases.

Perf/watt on Ryzen at lower clocks/voltage is exceptional, this will be perfect for the server market which AMD needs to recapture for better margins. Jim Keller and the AMD team made a new architecture from the ground up and that is amazing, if you think otherwise you've got some unrealistic expectations.

Err most of them are in shanghai, look at the job descriptions, and what they entail, the ones that seem to be here or Canada seem to lower level engineering positions.

We complain about marketing, they make a marketing move signaling change in some direction and we complain some more. They will never be right for some of you guys here. Its painfully obvious.

That isn't a change lol, hiring sr product managers, is nothing, they need to hire or replace VP's or SVP's.... The guys that give the over all strategy of the marketing machine. Adding lower level guys does nothing for them.

Its like hiring a jr producer and expecting them to make a block buster movie run smoothly when making that movie. Doesn't matter how many jr. producers are hired, they are not going to cut it cause they don't have the experience of the over all mechanics of all the work flows

Last edited:
You always go off the deep end man. You couldn't stop with Ryzen until you got banned out of the cpu forum. You need to step back and relax man, its a company it's not always going to do what you think it should. Vega was the end for their current gpu architecture and Navi will be the all new design... why would they be hiring engineers now, the design is already set and you of all people should know that. As for where they hire I have seen plenty of inept engineers here in the states, so I dont think the country really matters. Look up why the Aztec was made and you will see what happens when you have to many engineers on a project with free reign. Every company has their winners and losers on projects but their is no need to get that emotionally invested in it. I would love to see AMD do well, mainly cause I dont want to use Intel products. You got to relax a bit tho, you say you like to discuss things, but nothing you have posted the last few times is a discussion it's just a rant against AMD. I still think everyone is calling Vega to early, will see shortly tho. Plus I dont know anyone that doesn't think AMD could use improvement at marketing and when you hire fro the outside normally means your looking to make big changes.

So you are going to make it personal, when I kept out the personal shit for quite some time now, yes I'm going to start reporting anyone that gets personal from this point on lol.

You need to step back period about anything towards anything against AMD.

Have you ever worked at a Fortune 500 company or large corporations?

Do you know the office politics involved and how detrimental they are to actually getting things done? The red tape people have to cut through to get any shit done?

You guys think its a good thing, its not, its not even a puddle of shit. What they do is make AMD look good "temperately" good press. That is all it is.

Lets take cars for example, if you put in a turbo charger is that automatically going to make your car faster? Yeah but what are the draw backs to it and possible issues with it? There is always draw backs and issues right? Can those draw backs and issues be minimized, sure they can depending on your engine tuning right? The engine tuning part is what AMD NEEDS MUCH MORE OF than the turbo charger. which AKA product manager.

Hiring a product manager is BS, they can't do anything, they have no capabilities of changing overall company processes, cause well that are in the mud (of a singular product and not like the project lead) and to get out of that mud, they need upper management approval, which is hard to get when they aren't willing to change middle management. Why WASTE money on an ancillary job, when that money can be used MORE effectively with core positions. So Raja has been complaining about.

Engineers, SR level are higher cost, a butt load of money your taking straight out salaries of 200k and up,

SR product managers are cheap, 120k? ish. I'm very familiar with what Sr. Product Managers do, they don't shit for the product, they don't give vision of what the product is going to be. They are hamster in wheel where the engineers are peddling that wheel.

Now you want SR Engineers here in the states or Canada vs main land china, just imagine the salary difference? Hence why you most of those GPU jobs over in Shanghai. Not good man, they need those jobs here, talent doesn't grow on trees, even if China has a billion people, talent is nurtured and where better then getting or hiring people straight out of MIT, Cal Tech or other US/ Canada based companies that have a butt load more experience with what AMD is doing?

Have we seen RTG's budget for R&D increase yet? Not really, its still extremely meager. Until we see that you won't see upper management changes or sr. level engineers that have enough experience to influence AMD's product stack in a positive way.

Last edited:
So you are going to make it personal, when I kept out the personal shit for quite some time now, yes I'm going to start reporting anyone that gets personal from this point on lol.

You need to step back period about anything towards anything against AMD.

Have you ever worked at a Fortune 500 company or large corporations?

Do you know the office politics involved and how detrimental they are to actually getting things done? The red tape people have to cut through to get any shit done?

You guys think its a good thing, its not, its not even a puddle of shit. What they do is make AMD look good "temperately" good press. That is all it is.

Lets take cars for example, if you put in a turbo charger is that automatically going to make your car faster? Yeah but what are the draw backs to it and possible issues with it? There is always draw backs and issues right? Can those draw backs and issues be minimized, sure they can depending on your engine tuning right? The engine tuning part is what AMD NEEDS MUCH MORE OF than the turbo charger. which AKA product manager.

Hiring a product manager is BS, they can't do anything, they have no capabilities of changing overall company processes, cause well that are in the mud (of a singular product and not like the project lead) and to get out of that mud, they need upper management approval, which is hard to get when they aren't willing to change middle management. Why WASTE money on an ancillary job, when that money can be used MORE effectively with core positions. So Raja has been complaining about.

Engineers, SR level are higher cost, a butt load of money your taking straight out salaries of 200k and up,

SR product managers are cheap, 120k? ish. I'm very familiar with what Sr. Product Managers do, they don't shit for the product, they don't give vision of what the product is going to be. They are hamster in wheel where the engineers are peddling that wheel.

Now you want SR Engineers here in the states or Canada vs main land china, just imagine the salary difference? Hence why you most of those GPU jobs over in Shanghai. Not good man, they need those jobs here, talent doesn't grow on trees, even if China has a billion people, talent is nurtured and where better then getting or hiring people straight out of MIT, Cal Tech or other US/ Canada based companies that have a butt load more experience with what AMD is doing?

Have we seen RTG's budget for R&D increase yet? Not really, its still extremely meager. Until we see that you won't see upper management changes or sr. level engineers that have enough experience to influence AMD's product stack in a positive way.

*yawn* I dont care nearly as deeply as you do about it, I dont like FUD and tend to get in trouble with certain people on here. But the idea I just go off on people cause they criticized AMD is just silly. You yourself have hammered on AMD and it's marketing and they make a change and then it's total bullshit and their not fixing the real issues according to you. I agree their marketing sucks and has for years. So I am happy to see them make a change on that front and hopefully it leads to better marketing by them.

I worked at Chrysler, I think that counts and now I work for the government. So please tell me how it is, cause you know I forgot what bureaucracy looks like....

Marketing job 101 is to make the product look better, ok so you understand what their job is.

Putting a turbo on a car is not smart as you will almost immediately kill the engine, if your lucky just a head gasket failure otherwise the lower end is likely to break from being forced past it's maximum tolerance of pressure. You have to build the engine for more boost and likely AMD has boosted their architecture to the max, sometimes you just can't make more power out of a old design, you have to start with a new design and about a billion dollars.

You and I have absolutely no idea how much power their product manager has. So that is just speculation, they may have a effect on how AMD does things or they may get ignored, really depends on the department lead. I used to fight with upper management all the time for things I needed in my mind and I didn't always get them either.

Engineers are valuable, if they are actually good at what they do and can work in a team. Far to often engineers suck working in a team, many tend to be arrogant and assume their idea is best rather then listen to the whole group. That could be their whole engineering problem, to many chiefs. I fired what was arguably one of the brightest engineers I knew in my department, only cause he refused to work with people in a rational way. He would just berate someone if they chose to go against what he thought was right. Worked great on his own but i needed someone that could work in a group as well and he belittled 1 to many people for me and showed him the door, he works at GM these days. I will take a team of engineers that work great together over 1 brilliant engineer any day of the week.

More or less opinion based on your experiences. I have seen ones that are empowered as costs in the auto industry can cut a engineer down to size quick.

Engineers are all over the world my man and I have worked with them. I see little benefit from hiring from any one country as sometimes a engineer from another country can give you insight on a product that you had not considered. A high paid engineer is not always a good one and one should never equate skill with pay, that is foolish. I also value a engineer that has been working in the field then 1 straight out of college, experience is king.

We know they cant increase R&D spending until they start making more money, so until then they are stuck with the budget they get. I think they have done pretty well on the small budget they have, if you expect them to topple Nvidia and Intel then yeah your expectation is out of whack. I am just happy if they can compete well enough that I have options and they force each other to innovate.

*yawn* I dont care nearly as deeply as you do about it, I dont like FUD and tend to get in trouble with certain people on here. But the idea I just go off on people cause they criticized AMD is just silly. You yourself have hammered on AMD and it's marketing and they make a change and then it's total bullshit and their not fixing the real issues according to you. I agree their marketing sucks and has for years. So I am happy to see them make a change on that front and hopefully it leads to better marketing by them.

I worked at Chrysler, I think that counts and now I work for the government. So please tell me how it is, cause you know I forgot what bureaucracy looks like....

Marketing job 101 is to make the product look better, ok so you understand what their job is.

Putting a turbo on a car is not smart as you will almost immediately kill the engine, if your lucky just a head gasket failure otherwise the lower end is likely to break from being forced past it's maximum tolerance of pressure. You have to build the engine for more boost and likely AMD has boosted their architecture to the max, sometimes you just can't make more power out of a old design, you have to start with a new design and about a billion dollars.

You and I have absolutely no idea how much power their product manager has. So that is just speculation, they may have a effect on how AMD does things or they may get ignored, really depends on the department lead. I used to fight with upper management all the time for things I needed in my mind and I didn't always get them either.

Engineers are valuable, if they are actually good at what they do and can work in a team. Far to often engineers suck working in a team, many tend to be arrogant and assume their idea is best rather then listen to the whole group. That could be their whole engineering problem, to many chiefs. I fired what was arguably one of the brightest engineers I knew in my department, only cause he refused to work with people in a rational way. He would just berate someone if they chose to go against what he thought was right. Worked great on his own but i needed someone that could work in a group as well and he belittled 1 to many people for me and showed him the door, he works at GM these days. I will take a team of engineers that work great together over 1 brilliant engineer any day of the week.

More or less opinion based on your experiences. I have seen ones that are empowered as costs in the auto industry can cut a engineer down to size quick.

Engineers are all over the world my man and I have worked with them. I see little benefit from hiring from any one country as sometimes a engineer from another country can give you insight on a product that you had not considered. A high paid engineer is not always a good one and one should never equate skill with pay, that is foolish. I also value a engineer that has been working in the field then 1 straight out of college, experience is king.

We know they cant increase R&D spending until they start making more money, so until then they are stuck with the budget they get. I think they have done pretty well on the small budget they have, if you expect them to topple Nvidia and Intel then yeah your expectation is out of whack. I am just happy if they can compete well enough that I have options and they force each other to innovate.

Product managers have no influence on process development again, you don't know what job entails, that is not part of a product manager position, that is a part of A PROJECT Manger position, the over lap between the project manager and the engineers is what creates the processes, the product managers is just and extension of the engineers to talk with the outside people and make white papers, also to communicate via the project manager to get the information he needs.

NOW do you get it?

and here are all the SR. positions available in engineering @ AMD for GPU dev in US and CA

https://jobs.amd.com/job/Markham-Sr_-ASIC-Layout-Design-Engineer-ON/416062300/

https://jobs.amd.com/job/Markham-Sr_-ASIC-Layout-Design-Engineer-ON/413120700/

Now when you search their job database you will find others with the same title, but going by the requisition number is what is important, need to remove the redundant ones.

Do you see a major problem here? I don't see they really actively looking for even seasoned engineers yet.

You think engineers can't work in teams, that is a lot of crock if I ever heard. Projects like these they have to be able to work with a team, there is no one man shows.

How can they increase R&D? first off they shouldn't have cut the GPU R&D down in the FIRST PLACE! Who did that, why are they still in handcuffs, Zen is now done, they should focus on the GPU side of things, or are they afraid they aren't going to get anywhere with it. Navi's budget is already set in stone, that is a major issue lol. So instead of getting one or 2 more sr. engineers here in the US or Canada, get more of in China and then get 3 PR, marketing, product guys in CA and US? Nah dump the PR guys and get the engineers here, MUCH BETTER way to go. When they cheap out on the engineers, the results in the products show, and then they need the marketing people to cover their tracks. That is just bad ways of thinking through a problem.

And as I stated you don't put a turbo in place without working on the basics of the engine in the first place lol You just said the same thing for the most part. So why are you even discussing that. Beats me.

They need to work on their engine first, the GPU, then the rest will take care of its self for the most part. All the marketing, PR shit, just doesn't fly man with the base being solid.

Last edited:
Product managers have no influence on process development again, you don't know what job entails, that is not part of a product manager position, that is a part of A PROJECT Manger position, the over lap between the project manager and the engineers is what creates the processes, the product managers is just and extension of the engineers to talk with the outside people and make white papers, also to communicate via the project manager to get the information he needs.

NOW do you get it?

and here are all the SR. positions available in engineering @ AMD for GPU dev in US and CA

https://jobs.amd.com/job/Markham-Sr_-ASIC-Layout-Design-Engineer-ON/416062300/

https://jobs.amd.com/job/Markham-Sr_-ASIC-Layout-Design-Engineer-ON/413120700/

Now when you search their job database you will find others with the same title, but going by the requisition number is what is important, need to remove the redundant ones.

Do you see a major problem here? I don't see they really actively looking for even seasoned engineers yet.

You think engineers can't work in teams, that is a lot of crock if I ever heard. Projects like these they have to be able to work with a team, there is no one man shows.

How can they increase R&D? first off they shouldn't have cut the GPU R&D down in the FIRST PLACE! Who did that, why are they still in handcuffs, Zen is now done, they should focus on the GPU side of things, or are they afraid they aren't going to get anywhere with it. Navi's budget is already set in stone, that is a major issue lol. So instead of getting one or 2 more sr. engineers here in the US or Canada, get more of in China and then get 3 PR, marketing, product guys in CA and US? Nah dump the PR guys and get the engineers here, MUCH BETTER way to go. When they cheap out on the engineers, the results in the products show, and then they need the marketing people to cover their tracks. That is just bad ways of thinking through a problem.

And as I stated you don't put a turbo in place without working on the basics of the engine in the first place lol You just said the same thing for the most part. So why are you even discussing that. Beats me.

They need to work on their engine first, the GPU, then the rest will take care of its self for the most part. All the marketing, PR shit, just doesn't fly man with the base being solid.

They won't sell anything without good marketing, even if your product is meh good marketing helps.

Hiring more engineers now won't help them stay afloat, they need sales now.

Too many companies have failed because they cut marketing, viewing it as an expense. When you have sub-par name recognition, you need fucking marketing yesterday.

Also, what the fuck are engineers going to do in the USA/CA if the team designing the GPUs is in China?

AMD-Vega-10-645x285.jpg

vega-design-team-645x484.jpg

They won't sell anything without good marketing, even if your product is meh good marketing helps.

Hiring more engineers now won't help them stay afloat, they need sales now.

Too many companies have failed because they cut marketing, viewing it as an expense. When you have sub-par name recognition, you need fucking marketing yesterday.

Also, what the fuck are engineers going to do in the USA/CA if the team designing the GPUs is in China?

AMD-Vega-10-645x285.jpg

vega-design-team-645x484.jpg

Driver work ? Validation? Emulation?

AMD doesn't need more marketing lmao, their recent "rebellion" marketing campaign is absolutely the most cringe-worthy thing I have seen in recent times

I don't need marketing to buy a card from RTG/AMD. I needed a card that was at the performance, power draw, and price that I was interested in. No amount of marketing will make up for lack of product, no matter how well-meaning the company is nor how earnest the marketing team is.

Back