AMD RTG Hires Hardware.fr GPU Editor Damien Triolet

JustReason

razor1 is my Lover
https://www.techpowerup.com/234877/amd-rtg-hires-hardware-fr-gpu-editor-damien-triolet

Hardware.fr, part of the global network of tech-oriented sites that strive to bring you the latest and greatest coverage of hardware and related news, has announced that their GPU contributor Damien Triolet is leaving the site. Damien Triolet has been described by our very own W1zzard as one of the world's best GPU tech editors, and leaves the French hardware site after a 14-year-long stint delivering high-quality coverage to French readers.

The folks at Hardware.fr naturally wished Damien all the best, though they do know it will be hard to properly replace him, due to all the years of accumulated knowledge. But that must've been what caught AMD's Radeon Technologies Group's eye as well, which resulted in this hire. Damien commented that "This change, however, is a continuation for me, since after so many years of criticizing the GPU manufacturers, I will finally go and see what exactly happens on the other side of the fence, and discover first-hand what future graphics technologies hold for us. (...) After a long reflection I made the decision to join AMD and the Radeon Technologies Group." (translated from French by the editor.) We here at TPU wish Damien all the best!

Scott Wasson and then this guy. PR is hiring the big guns and they definitely need them.

Maybe they should hire better engineers, instead of more Media to explain their lackluster product.
Seriously watching this hefty negativity over and over in every thread in the AMD sub-forum is tiring. Not sure what AMD did to personally piss you off, but it would be nice to keep the comments here on topic as far as the addition of Damien and what his role and effect at AMDs RTG might be.

Seriously watching this hefty negativity over and over in every thread in the AMD sub-forum is tiring. Not sure what AMD did to personally piss you off, but it would be nice to keep the comments here on topic as far as the addition of Damien and what his role and effect at AMDs RTG might be.

People are upset AMD has non-competitive GPU products and is dragging out the Vega launch.

But he is actually right.. maybe not said in the best way or light, but he's right.. why we should be happy because RTG hires a new guy for marketing..?

Only positive feedback I have about that is that they may have more reliable public PT slides, more accurate with less Raja's BS.. and less misleading marketing because they will use a guy who actually know how to properly test GPUs. However they may just help to make things worse and make even more unreliable and misleading marketing as he can exactly know how to show AMD in the very best possible scenarios..

So AMD have recognised that it is quite poor at marketing its GPUs.

This can only be a good thing surely?

Reactions: Parja
like this
Actually yes, this is a good thing because the marketing so far has left bitter ashes in everyone's mouth. Positive changes in marketing that manage expectations are a good thing, if that's what in fact happens.

Actually yes, this is a good thing because the marketing so far has left bitter ashes in everyone's mouth. Positive changes in marketing that manage expectations are a good thing, if that's what in fact happens.

They need to get rid of their current marketers for that to happen though otherwise all the new guys that come in will start thinking like the old timers.

Well he is right.

Because bitching about AMD makes so much sense , explain it to me where the logic is in this ?

Because when I spend my money I do it on something I find worthwhile spending money on, in other words happy with my purchase.
So do all these bitching and moaning people spend their money on hardware that then makes them bitch about it on the AMD forums something that is then necessary?
None if it is constructive none of it is reality based and none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

Because bitching about AMD makes so much sense , explain it to me where the logic is in this ?

Because when I spend my money I do it on something I find worthwhile spending money on, in other words happy with my purchase.
So do all these bitching and moaning people spend their money on hardware that then makes them bitch about it on the AMD forums something that is then necessary?
None if it is constructive none of it is reality based and none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

"Maybe they should hire better engineers, instead of more Media to explain their lackluster product."

To you that's bitching, to many of us that's reality. Instead of media maybe they should engineer something half decent. If they have limited funds.... I'd cut media over engineering. Like that video "poor Volta". Waste of money. I would have hired one of the independent guys that get my drivers to work with games (and AMD fails). You could probably hire ten of them for how much that video cost.

Let the product speak for itself.

"Maybe they should hire better engineers, instead of more Media to explain their lackluster product."

To you that's bitching, to many of us that's reality. Instead of media maybe they should engineer something half decent. If they have limited funds.... I'd cut media over engineering. Like that video "poor Volta". Waste of money. I would have hired one of the independent guys that get my drivers to work with games (and AMD fails). You could probably hire ten of them for how much that video cost.

Let the product speak for itself.

You do realize that whomever as an engineer got hired would 0 impact from the design they have ready for launch or for future projects already ongoing. If AMD could hire such a person that would have a big impact I'm sure they would do it today rather then tomorrow.

I'm not to sure if you recall what Kyle was saying that they got rid of a lot if not all of their PR department a good while ago.

RTG's problem isn't engineering; it's the people they have hired (fired?) to promote their products.

RTG's problem isn't engineering; it's the people they have hired (fired?) to promote their products.

Think it is a combination of both, cause of what Raja stated which has direct correlation with R&D budgets, marketing wise doesn't matter who the hell they hire, they need to clean house of the TOP marketing people. Yes their top people, with out management changes there will be no change in how their soldiers operate. Just look what happened with bad management with AMD CPU division, if they were still there, would AMD be in a better position now?

Last edited:
You do realize that whomever as an engineer got hired would 0 impact from the design they have ready for launch or for future projects already ongoing. If AMD could hire such a person that would have a big impact I'm sure they would do it today rather then tomorrow.

I'm not to sure if you recall what Kyle was saying that they got rid of a lot if not all of their PR department a good while ago.

Apparently not enough if they are making shitty, misleading videos!

Maybe they should hire better engineers, instead of more Media to explain their lackluster product.

While no amount of marketing cannot make up for having lackluster products, AMD seems to be having problem selling its compelling products.

For example, Geforce GTX 1060 outsells Radeon RX 480 3:1 despite the latter being cheaper and having more VRAM.

I don't think AMD has an issue marketing it's GPU's but more they need to learn how to catch the eye of a sucker with a Titan X

I was thinking about how I'd have marketted the Vega FE, and I'd have branded it all hardcore professional looking. Lots of dark blue, no lights, and zero mention of gaming whatsoever, just nothing, no driver switch. And sell under the guise of more like "Be the creator". And obviously it's known that games can be played with it, but never mentioned.

I think that would have made it a hell of alot more attractive and actually found an audience that cared.

I was thinking about how I'd have marketted the Vega FE, and I'd have branded it all hardcore professional looking. Lots of dark blue, no lights, and zero mention of gaming whatsoever, just nothing, no driver switch. And sell under the guise of more like "Be the creator". And obviously it's known that games can be played with it, but never mentioned.

I think that would have made it a hell of alot more attractive and actually found an audience that cared.

They tried that with the Pro Duo IIRC.

I don't think AMD has an issue marketing it's GPU's but more they need to learn how to catch the eye of a sucker with a Titan X

problem is a person buying a Titan X is not a sucker, they have the money, they know a TI is coming out later like 6 or 8 months down the road but are willing to spend money to get the best of the best for that short amount of time. Then ask yourself how they got that much money to get the best of the best ever 6 to 8 months, and then you know they aren't suckers.

You have at least 3 youtubers (likely to be many more preorder buyers) that bought the Vega FE (excluding the review sites). What does that tell us about them (are they suckers too as you so aptly put? They seem to be more then a Titan X buyer if that is the case but they aren't), they are tech enthusiasts, they are willing to part with their money because they are into tech so much its a hobby for them. These aren't your average consumers. That is why the 1080ti and Titan X is like 1% of the 1% of people that are buying them. They aren't meant for the mass markets. That's what the Mid range and Performance segments are for.

problem is a person buying a Titan X is not a sucker, they have the money, they know a TI is coming out later like 6 or 8 months down the road but are willing to spend money to get the best of the best for that short amount of time. Then ask yourself how they got that much money to get the best of the best ever 6 to 8 months, and then you know they aren't suckers.

You have at least 3 youtubers (likely to be many more preorder buyers) that bought the Vega FE (excluding the review sites). What does that tell us about them (are they suckers too as you so aptly put? They seem to be more then a Titan X buyer if that is the case but they aren't), they are tech enthusiasts, they are willing to part with their money because they are into tech so much its a hobby for them. These aren't your average consumers. That is why the 1080ti and Titan X is like 1% of the 1% of people that are buying them. They aren't meant for the mass markets. That's what the Mid range and Performance segments are for.

No they are a sucker and they are soon parted with their cash. The youtubers are being paid by youtube and they need to show stuff to keep their views and subscribers up or they start making less. The original Titan I might have seen the point since it was capable of doing pro work as well as being a gaming card. The new Titan is for fools that like to get milked and then watch as the TI is released for less cash and it's faster. Titan X sales are not even 1% more like .02% the TI is closer to 1%, majority of cards sold are under $200 bucks. I don't blame Nvidia or AMD tho, might as well milk the fools since they all need to be at the top of a benchmark that no one really gives a damn about anyway. So if they can market to the suckers then I say more power to them, we used to do the same thing in the automotive business.

No they are a sucker and they are soon parted with their cash. The youtubers are being paid by youtube and they need to show stuff to keep their views and subscribers up or they start making less. The original Titan I might have seen the point since it was capable of doing pro work as well as being a gaming card. The new Titan is for fools that like to get milked and then watch as the TI is released for less cash and it's faster. Titan X sales are not even 1% more like .02% the TI is closer to 1%, majority of cards sold are under $200 bucks. I don't blame Nvidia or AMD tho, might as well milk the fools since they all need to be at the top of a benchmark that no one really gives a damn about anyway. So if they can market to the suckers then I say more power to them, we used to do the same thing in the automotive business.

Yeah for your budget they are suckers, for my budget, they aren't lol. See the difference? You are a car guy, I was ready to put 300k down on a lambo last year, its a toy for me, until I found out the upkeep of the damn thing.

Different strokes for different folks man. That doesn't make anyone a sucker, I have friends that have 2 lambos and they don't even drive them, they just sit there, are they suckers? No, cause they made their money to spend extravagantly by mine and your budgets, but for their budgets its just a toy.

lets call Jay Leno a sucker for his what 20 million dollars worth of sports cars? probably more than that. He doesn't drive all those cars. He must be an idiot to buy all those cars for them to just sit there.

So you're saying no Titan owners ever said "fuck" when the Ti got released 6-8 months later? k.

Oh and I thought it was common sense that some YouTubers do it for a living so it makes perfect sense for them to purchase sucker-hardware to keep their views up so they can make money.

So you're saying no Titan owners ever said "fuck" when the Ti got released 6-8 months later? k.

Oh and I thought it was common sense that some YouTubers do it for a living so it makes perfect sense for them to purchase sucker-hardware to keep their views up so they can make money.

Most of them don't they know what they are getting into when they buy them.

I just said there were three people on youtube that aren't reviewers that purchased FE, that means they knew full well they were buying the card without any benchmarks and they just love tech so they bought it. That doesn't mean they are suckers man. I sucker is a guy that buys anything and doesn't get what he or she wants out of it. These guys know what they are getting. They know where their money is going to and what kind of pleasure or what ever they get out of their hardware.

Does a guy that buys 2k CPU, is he a sucker? Not really if they want the best they have to pay top dollar for the best. Its that simple. That is economics for ya. Its like saying to a girl that loves comicon dolls, 100 bucks is too much for a doll, well guess what for her it isn't, if she has the money to get and she wants it, who are we to say she is a sucker? And at the end of the day those dolls appreciate if not opened or drop in minimal value if opened. If the person is sucker, they buy it and find out they don't have enough money for food or rent, yeah that is sucker.

Its a very bad idea to talk about other peoples money, they worked hard for that money and they have the right to spend it the way they choose to spend it. You can say its not a wise purchase, cause of what ever reasons, reasons those people are fully aware of too. They know the Ti is coming soon after, its been what 3 generations nV has done the same thing? Release the TI 6 to 8 months after? Damn that only leaves 6 more months for the next gen to come out right? Why even worry about Titan X or Ti, just wait for next generation cause the GTX XX70 will be less in price, close to half and more but the same performance as either of those.

This isn't life changing money you guys talking about, buying something to have a curious peak isn't totally insane. It's stupid, but not totally insane.

This isn't life changing money you guys talking about, buying something to have a curious peak isn't totally insane. It's stupid, but not totally insane.

But that is yours and definitely my point of view lol, but if the guy has fun doing it, the enjoyment he gets for doing that, is the reward. Some people are like that.

Just like overclocking, when I was younger I would over clock all my hardware to the max and if something failed, oh well, doesn't matter buy it again or RMA it if possible and try again lol, that was my attitude, now I never did bad overclocks before, so never had components really fail on me other than one GFX card. Now I don't do that anymore, stock is enough for me.

So when I was younger the reward for buying better cooling cards, better boards with better power layouts the reward was the overclock. Now nope don't care

Yeah for your budget they are suckers, for my budget, they aren't lol. See the difference? You are a car guy, I was ready to put 300k down on a lambo last year, its a toy for me, until I found out the upkeep of the damn thing.

Different strokes for different folks man. That doesn't make anyone a sucker, I have friends that have 2 lambos and they don't even drive them, they just sit there, are they suckers? No, cause they made their money to spend extravagantly by mine and your budgets, but for their budgets its just a toy.

lets call Jay Leno a sucker for his what 20 million dollars worth of sports cars? probably more than that. He doesn't drive all those cars. He must be an idiot to buy all those cars for them to just sit there.

So your making assumptions on my budget cause I dont brag about it like you do? Thanks tho for proving my point that its all about showing off rather then practical use. A Lamborghini is not a practical car, it's all about show and yes the maintenance would kill you, why most just sit in a garage to show off to their friends. And yes your friends that bought a car to just let them rot in a garage are suckers, Id take them to a track and show them how that car is meant to be driven but they would likely piss themselves. I own a Hellcat Challenger and I drive it daily cause I enjoy it and the best part it's faster then those high dollar over priced cars you mentioned. As for jay Leno, he is a collector and he does drive most of what he owns cause he loves cars and I can respect that, he keeps them all maintained and in great shape, he even owns prototypes from Chrysler that were never for sale. Plus I enjoy getting my hands dirty working on cars as well, part of the reason I was in component testing.

So your making assumptions on my budget cause I dont brag about it like you do? Thanks tho for proving my point that its all about showing off rather then practical use. A Lamborghini is not a practical car, it's all about show and yes the maintenance would kill you, why most just sit in a garage to show off to their friends. And yes your friends that bought a car to just let them rot in a garage are suckers, Id take them to a track and show them how that car is meant to be driven but they would likely piss themselves. I own a Hellcat Challenger and I drive it daily cause I enjoy it and the best part it's faster then those high dollar over priced cars you mentioned. As for jay Leno, he is a collector and he does drive most of what he owns cause he loves cars and I can respect that, he keeps them all maintained and in great shape, he even owns prototypes from Chrysler that were never for sale. Plus I enjoy getting my hands dirty working on cars as well, part of the reason I was in component testing.

Your budget is what you are willing to spend for a paticular product, not saying you can't get it lol. What is reasonable for you, not what is reasonable for me, nor is it reasonable for someone else.

Yeah i'm bragging about it to give you an understanding, my needs and wants based on what I want are different than yours, and you are putting others down. Guess what, I'm not talking about other people, I'm saying its their right to do what they want with their money. You on the other hand are calling them a name, sucker.

I have crap feelings about the hell cat, does that make your purchase a sucker purchase? No, you love the car, you get enjoyment out of it. So my view doesn't align with your view of the product. Ok? Do you understand the difference?

Last edited:
In the case of Youtubers, it's just a supply expense, like gaffer's tape or cameras. It's worth it to them regardless of how good or bad the product is, especially if it's a product with a lot of hype around it like Vega cards.

I'm pretty sure Jay Leno does in fact drive most of his cars. Presumably, he doesn't drive them all every day, but in the videos on his youtube channel, they almost always show him driving them on what appear to be actual roads.

In the case of Youtubers, it's just a supply expense, like gaffer's tape or cameras. It's worth it to them regardless of how good or bad the product is, especially if it's a product with a lot of hype around it like Vega cards.

I'm pretty sure Jay Leno does in fact drive most of his cars. Presumably, he doesn't drive them all every day, but in the videos on his youtube channel, they almost always show him driving them on what appear to be actual roads.

He actually switches insurances on them as he needs fit to drive them around on a day to day basis. And he doesn't drive them all every year.

Your budget is what you are willing to spend for a paticular product, not saying you can't get it lol. What is reasonable for you, not what is reasonable for me, nor is it reasonable for someone else.

Yeah i'm bragging about it to give you an understanding, my needs and wants based on what I want are different than yours, and you are putting others down. Guess what, I'm not talking about other people, I'm saying its their right to do what they want with their money. You on the other hand are calling them a name, sucker.

I have crap feelings about the hell cat, does that make your purchase a sucker purchase? No, you love the car, you get enjoyment out of it. So my view doesn't align with your view of the product. Ok? Do you understand the difference?

That's my biggest issue with the AMD fanbois. For some reason they think everyone should only spend a limited amount on video cards and anything over that limited amount is stupid. I don't know why they are so adamant about what other people spend on their hobby.

I am just using the same term the marketing guys used to use and I feel it fits. It's a opinion and everyone has one, doesn't mean they have to agree. I see Titan card owners and that is what pops in my mind and I doubt I am the only one that thinks that. Their right to own it tho and use it how they see fit and when I sold my 290X cards to miners I had the same thought, now they just have to hope they make their money back and Eth does not crash.

I don't. Since the first Titan it's a given a Ti is going to come out later. I like shinies now rather than later and I can afford it. So what?

That's my biggest issue with the AMD fanbois. For some reason they think everyone should only spend a limited amount on video cards and anything over that limited amount is stupid. I don't know why they are so adamant about what other people spend on their hobby.

You don't have to be a fanboy of either team to hold an opinion on other people's spending habits. But with you throwing bait out here for them, one will bite.

You don't have to be a fanboy of either team to hold an opinion on other people's spending habits. But with you throwing bait out here for them, one will bite.

Maybe so, but no one knows my financial position so why am I stupid according to them for buying a Titan? I spend far more money on my range habit. SGAmmo loves me. :)

Maybe so, but no one knows my financial position so why am I stupid according to them for buying a Titan? I spend far more money on my range habit. SGAmmo loves me. :)

Same here my other hobbies are far more expensive than my computer hardware lol.

Back