AMD, Roy Taylor, the Nano, and the Press @ [H]

I didnt expect anything else from Kyle than purchasing a Nano for the review. Great job.
About MS buying AMD, i dont know what to say Supermodelthriller, it would be good i think. For AMD to rise again from the ashes they need ALOT of money to be put in development and research, money witch AMD does not have right now. They battle against the giant Intel and nVidia and everyone is expecting better performance on both sides than the competition.
In these economic days, who has the most amount of cash in the bag WINS, you have no freakin chance, simple as that.

it's funny, my buddy who works for AMD told me that in his meeting they mentioned HardOCP today. (HardOCP is famous at AMD internally now!)

Tell your friend to get it together already. :eek:

Besides hasn't MS been downsizing? I don't really see the point for them to buy "ATI" besides wanting their patents. :confused:

So a billion dollar company needs [H] to stay afloat.....says another nutswinger...........

PS:
http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-amd-report/

Another MA rumor flying off again, how many companies is it now: Samsung, Qualcomm, Xilinx, Microsoft and Intel. I will entertain the idea of Microsoft rumor for a second time, any acquisition of AMD will most likely be just a purchase of a specific division not the company as a whole, in this case most likely the GPU division. Besides, do people really want Microsoft to acquire AMD partly or as a whole after the fail Nokia acquisition?

Tell your friend to get it together already. :eek:

Besides hasn't MS been downsizing? I don't really see the point for them to buy "ATI" besides wanting their patents. :confused:

Most of layoffs are occur in their phone division, it is really cutting the mistake that Ballmer made when he was the CEO when he acquired part of Nokia.

I didnt expect anything else from Kyle than purchasing a Nano for the review. Great job.
About MS buying AMD, i dont know what to say Supermodelthriller, it would be good i think. For AMD to rise again from the ashes they need ALOT of money to be put in development and research, money witch AMD does not have right now. They battle against the giant Intel and nVidia and everyone is expecting better performance on both sides than the competition.
In these economic days, who has the most amount of cash in the bag WINS, you have no freakin chance, simple as that.

Having cash helps, but a company normally will survive when management has a clear objective with attainable goals.

Not a badge of honor by any means. Being called out by a major company might earn fanboy points from a few hundred forum swingers.....however, long term nothing good comes out of pissing off said major company other than a brief flash of notoriety. Business 101

Please, Kyle been pissing off AMD, Intel, and Nvidia for the past 15 years and yet he is still here.

Having cash helps, but a company normally will survive when management has a clear objective with attainable goals.

I am giving you as example the CPU market. Go to every public institution and you will notice that every PC has an Intel CPU with intel HD Graphics. Why is this? Intel has so much money that they PAY, yes they pay, OEMs to use their CPUs (DELL, Fujitsu, HP, all of them use Intel, even if the price is higher). Benchmark wise, yes Intel is better, but @ public institution levels and schools, really it does not mater. In this case, you can have the best management and you still cant compete.

I am giving you as example the CPU market. Go to every public institution and you will notice that every PC has an Intel CPU with intel HD Graphics. Why is this? Intel has so much money that they PAY, yes they pay, OEMs to use their CPUs (DELL, Fujitsu, HP, all of them use Intel, even if the price is higher). Benchmark wise, yes Intel is better, but @ public institution levels and schools, really it does not mater. In this case, you can have the best management and you still cant compete.

Intel based systems have a much lower total cost of ownership, look at the power consumption of comparable AMD CPUs to their Intel counterparts. Intel blows AMD out of the water in the CPU department.

So Intel pays people to use their products?
Yet still makes billions of dollars a year? and produces a superior product year over year. (maybe that's why they make money)

AMD hasn't turned a profit in 5 years, I honestly don't see how they stay in business. (bake sales?)

Intel based systems have a much lower total cost of ownership, look at the power consumption of comparable AMD CPUs to their Intel counterparts. Intel blows AMD out of the water in the CPU department.

Again, the power consumption debacle. I wont start this polemic, but it is a false issue. For example, the AMD A8 5500 has 65W TDP and does office jobs more than decently. And dont tell me that the 10W difference to an i3 is so huge.

Anyway, ill stop here because we wont get anyware

Roy Taylor is an ass. He is a huge negative for AMD. What AMD did in who got access to the Nano just shows that spinning off and forming the Radeon Technologies Group was needed.

I just hope that RTG tells Roy to "go pound sand". Maybe then, they will be as good as ATI once was, and I will once again WANT to buy from "team red".

The Nano is a niche card that fills a spot where there is really no call to fill. Pretty much all the SFF cases can hold a 10" card, and those that can't, need a power supply that is too weak for even a Nano and don't have an 8-pin connector. Those that do, are very expensive. Speaking of power, I'm tired of it. I got so sick of people telling me that "The $20 a year you will save on electricity over going with nVidia as opposed to an R9 290X is nothing." So if power didn't matter THEN, then it damn sure shouldn't matter now.

Again, the power consumption debacle. I wont start this polemic, but it is a false issue. For example, the AMD A8 5500 has 65W TDP and does office jobs more than decently. And dont tell me that the 10W difference to an i3 is so huge.

You've clearly never worked somewhere that has hundreds, if not thousands of computers running concurrently. Suddenly those 10W look mighty appealing.

You've clearly never worked somewhere that has hundreds, if not thousands of computers running concurrently. Suddenly those 10W look mighty appealing.

Exactly. Now add them all up: all the enterprises, businesses, and consumer computers in the entire world. 100s of millions of them. That 10W doesn't become simply appealing, it becomes rather necessary in the face of rising energy costs along with depletion of non-renewable fuel sources needed to make energy.

The power consumption issue is a huge deal when you deploy hundreds of desktops and servers and keep them running for years. Intel also offers VPro for management, something AMD has nothing comparable. The A8-5500 is from 2012 and will be blown out of the water performance wise by an i3-4130 from late 2013.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_6.html#sect0

The power consumption issue is a huge deal when you deploy hundreds of desktops and servers and keep them running for years. Intel also offers VPro for management, something AMD has nothing comparable. The A8-5500 is from 2012 and will be blown out of the water performance wise by an i3-4130.

I'm sure that if you use something as OpenCL that will not be the case ;).

If they were concerned with power usage people today with still just use unix terminals rather then desktop computers ...

Funny drama this, god i spent almost the whole last night reading reviews of the Nano, becouse i want one, well i wanted one.

After reading , i dont know how many reviews , becouse there was a LOT of reviews, and well probbally read most twice.

Some was possitiv, some negativ, some mixed, some grasps the concept, some dont.

But its kinda silly of AMD and just done sent out 3 more samples, or give a shit in some of the new one, but i do think i know why , Kyle, Wizzard, and that site i hardly never read didnt get one.

They are just to plain old to grasp the concept of new tecknologies..........for heavens sake, they must have grandchildren already.

And kyle did get older a lot faster than me, and i can prove it, 30 years ago i was 29,4% older than Kyle, now, im just 10,6% older than him.

Seriously Kyle you need to widen ur concept a littel, beeing [H] is not just most performance with out any costs, it has a lot of shades, for diffrent users.

Edit:

Well i can maybe understand that they want some younger reviwera, but for heavns sake, some of the act like they are 5 years old after they eaten way to much sugar and , well u know kids in sugar rush, they are hell on earth.

Last edited:
You know what the sad part of all this is?

I've been an AMD fanboy for YEARS. I haven't had an Intel system since the Gateway PII-450 I had in college (although I did build my brother a Cyrix box that we OC'd before I got the Gateway). My first personal system build was an Athlon Thunderbird that I built into that Gateway case. Since then I've either built AMD-based systems.

My next system (hopefully built soon) is going to be an OC'd i5.

Now, it's not that I'm sickened by the politics of all this crap. It's that the politics of all this crap has taken over AMD and they've lost the plot. They're too busy playing politics to be the company that was building Thunderbirds and Palominos and handing Intel its ass. They became the company that gave us the Bulldozer and Piledriver and should have been buried in a landfill.

They survive because they dominate in integrated devices that don't even go "OMG! WE HAVE AMD STUFF!!!" because that market doesn't care.

I wish we had the AMD of old that was giving Intel a run for its money but they got caught up in their own back patting to keep doing what they did.

I'm sure that if you use something as OpenCL that will not be the case ;).

If they were concerned with power usage people today with still just use unix terminals rather then desktop computers ...

Thin clients are common deployments, but you still need servers for them. AMD's Opteron series isn't remotely competitive in that space. OpenCL is such a niche workload, if you did anything serious with OpenCL you would be using a Firepro product anyways.

And as a sidenote, i already knew the conclusion from [H], not because they favor Nvida, or are biased against AMD.

Plainly becouse they are biased against them self, meening, WHAT I THINK a grapic card SHELL be, THAT is best for all, NOTHING else matter.

hehe , so H is easy, when you know what Kyle want of a Grapic Card, you also know the conclusion, there are no shades ;), never been.

And as a sidenote, i already knew the conclusion from [H], not because they favor Nvida, or are biased against AMD.

Plainly becouse they are biased against them self, meening, WHAT I THINK a grapic card SHELL be, THAT is best for all, NOTHING else matter.

hehe , so H is easy, when you know what Kyle want of a Grapic Card, you also know the conclusion, there are no shades ;), never been.

WTF did I just read

Dunno, but he cant help himself.
A continuous stream of pointless babble.

WTF did I just read

You read things how they are, period. And that is okey , as long as you know that.

H finds out what card is fastest , thats it, and its open bench, have always been, noise , powerconseption and that stuff , does matter very littel, if any at all.

They give a pice of the pussel, but thats all. And i command them for that, since they actuallt play the game, it is very usuful to check against other sites with is canned.

But u get nada, zero info if an importent thing as is the cooler good, and well noise is a purf for H, and thats all fine as long as you know abaut what H look for, and what and how they test.

If they change their way of testing , they would just become another canned site, but they could widen their perspective a bit.

You read things how they are, period. And that is okey , as long as you know that.

H finds out what card is fastest , thats it, and its open bench, have always been, noice , powerconseption and that stuff , does matter very littel, if any at all.

They give a pice of the pussel, but thats all. And i command them for that, since they actuallt play the game, it is very usuful to check against other sites with canned.

But u get nada, zero info if an importent thing as is the cooler good, and well noise is a purf for H, and thats all fine as long as you know abaut what H look for, and what and how they test.

If they change their way of testing , they would just become another canned site, but they could widen their perspective a bit.

I agree but, are you posting from a phone or are you just intentionally doing those typos?

WTF did I just read

I agree but, are you posting from a phone or are you just intentionally doing those typos?

d79f72a2d314c819131c507b402866ccea3cc88abad15e418a94830dc8077f15.jpg

Typing fast, half in dark, while watching a movie. and am a bit dysletic, so dont see typoes right away.

sorry.

Typing fast, half in dark, while watching a movie. and am a bit dysletic, so dont see typoes right away.

sorry.

No problem. :) I just thought maybe you were trying to use a little flair or sarcasm in there as well. :D

Exactly. Now add them all up: all the enterprises, businesses, and consumer computers in the entire world. 100s of millions of them. That 10W doesn't become simply appealing, it becomes rather necessary in the face of rising energy costs along with depletion of non-renewable fuel sources needed to make energy.

You sound a lot like the guy who showed up at my house from a "green energy" type company trying to get me to swap over my power to solar/wind for only $3 more a month based on my current usage. Just sign up with us and the power company will only get your electricity from our renewable sources!

Funniest thing, having swapped out some old bulbs I use the most for LEDs, I save about $3-5 bucks a month compared to last year. The bulbs have already paid for themselves. Now some save the earth type dude who is really trying to sucker people into paying his salary wants me to pay $3 more a month to save the earth even more. All while ignoring where those solar panels come from or the batteries that are needed to make solar or wind work. The irony gets worse when you think of all the birds who get chopped up by windmills. But they don't matter. Stop logging to save the spotted owls but screw the birds, we need windmills! Well, #birdlivesmatter!

10w is not a big deal in the home/small business market until you stop the real power suckers elsewhere like cable boxes.

WTF did I just read

He right of truth for you not unrastand what he means to say it is okay. When talk of H, he arques that editers make lite only of performance and none stuff of fan noiz or puwer cunsupsion. It is sumtimes ease to confoose what he try explane.

Welp, I'm not going to buy an AMD product again (assuming they are around long enough when I need to upgrade)

While it's nice to have convictions I am confused by so many people saying this. Yes what AMD did was bad and they deserve a lot of shit for it but let's not act like Nvidia and Intel are any better. All three companies are terrible in their own way and all three pull some shady shit. Then let's not forget MS, ASUS, etc.

While it's nice to have convictions I am confused by so many people saying this. Yes what AMD did was bad and they deserve a lot of shit for it but let's not act like Nvidia and Intel are any better. All three companies are terrible in their own way and all three pull some shady shit. Then let's not forget MS, ASUS, etc.

Which is why my reasons for not buying AMD are a little more nuanced, as I posted above. I think this bullshit is killing the innovation and product quality. I'll gladly buy AMD stuff when they pull their heads out of their asses, but until then I'll buy the better product.

Not entirely - the partnerships make it easy to standardize on Intel, as they've owned the high-end for some time now, and most of those places have needs for high-end CPUs in at least some systems. If you're buying Intel from one vendor, chances are you'll buy lower-end Intel for the rest of what you need too. It just makes it simpler.

AMD and Intel and everyone in the enterprise computing space pays for partnerships to get folks to use their stuff, whether it's software or hardware - it's how the industry ~works~, and it's beneficial for each.

With AMD cherry picking review sites all it does it scare / reinforce other review sites that did get the AMD Fury Nano to basically suck up to AMD moving forward. It's more than fair to say, we now have a president for biased reviews on AMD cards from here on out. And I think that's sad. No doubt other review sites have heard about the HARDOCP dilemma and I can only imagine the conversations those review sites have had. And I am sure there were a lot of "time to start sucking AMD off" across the board.

You never ever in life want people to tell you what you want to hear. You need criticism, complaints. At some point you're going to need your ass kicked, cussed out and feelings hurt. It's how anyone doing anything grows.

All AMD did was take everyone's voice away. This is why many of us here who are loyal to the HardOCP brand are going to think long and hard before we purchase another AMD Product.

What a strange series of events.

Even disregarding these PR issues, AMD seems to be getting less healthy by the second.
Isn't there anyone out there who can rise up and get into the CPU and/or GPU business? The last thing I want is for Nvidia to run out of competition. Especially given their tendency to massively overprice their GPUs.
We're already pretty much there for Intel and I don't like it one bit.

If I had anything less than an R9 290, I would upgrade to an R9 390x right now. However, thankfully, I am not at a spot where upgrading makes any real sense at all. Now, if AMD does go away and I want to keep gaming on my computer, guess I will only have NVidia to choose from. However, the only good card they have right now is the Titan X since that is set to last a long time, at least 4 years or so.

If I had anything less than an R9 290, I would upgrade to an R9 390x right now. However, thankfully, I am not at a spot where upgrading makes any real sense at all. Now, if AMD does go away and I want to keep gaming on my computer, guess I will only have NVidia to choose from. However, the only good card they have right now is the Titan X since that is set to last a long time, at least 4 years or so.

One of the things that surprised me in the Witcher 3 article, that I feel got lost in all the wrangling in that thread, the Nano threads,etc., was how well AMD's Hawaii-based cards did. They matched or beat their NVidia competition at every price point. That's amazing! It's sad that the Fiji parts have become such a circus, but at least there is a ray of hope. Maybe a re-spin of Fiji (if it can hit before Pascal) will make it into a winner.

needless to say, im Honestly not surprised given AMD didnt even launch a new GPU aside the fury.. and the fact still AMD has NOTHING in their line up to answer the 980 Ti besides the Fury X.

390X Launch was a laughing stock of a company not wanting to make any gains.

last AMD I purchased was an AMD Atholon XP 2400+ and it will stay that way. Intel maybe more "expensive" but they actually make changes that matter. AMD has been using the same socket with horrible heat and efficiency for like 6 years running. and no one bats an eye because its "Cheaper than Intel".

Same philosophy has been the same for their GPU market. AMD is the titanic... it's not unsinkable. They're doing a bang up job leading it into the icerburg going full steam ahead.

What a strange series of events.

Even disregarding these PR issues, AMD seems to be getting less healthy by the second.
Isn't there anyone out there who can rise up and get into the CPU and/or GPU business? The last thing I want is for Nvidia to run out of competition. Especially given their tendency to massively overprice their GPUs.
We're already pretty much there for Intel and I don't like it one bit.

Couldn't agree more with this, (fair) competition is good for consumers.

Back