AMD, Roy Taylor, the Nano, and the Press @ [H]

So you are saying you would rather get a Nano then a Fury X?

I mean the Nano is slower.....and the same price. All Kyle did was state the obvious ITS FUCKING OVER PRICED AS HELL.

IF you want a small video card in an ITX case, get a Fury X.

I would get a 980ti for my needs ( I have 2), I dont have a desire to build a tiny machine.
The point of the Fury is a lot of ITX cases wont even have room to fix the radiator. At the end of the day the user that's building the system should decide what they want.

The whole point of AMD not giving H a card is because they deemed the card pointless before ever touching it, thats the point. Its like news stations reporting the news without ever being at the scene.

Does it cost a lot? Yea it does, but it doesnt make the card bad when its so tiny. Its a NICHE product at the of the day, its not a card AMD NEEDS to turn a profit.

It has practically the same FPS as the watercooled models

If you think that, then you obviously didn't read the reviews

You basically deemed the card shit without ever touching it. Good job.

AMD expected the sites to announce it and market it for free. If they make the announcement without actually launching the hardware, then they open themselves up to that.

I would get a 980ti for my needs ( I have 2), I dont have a desire to build a tiny machine.
The point of the Fury is a lot of ITX cases wont even have room to fix the radiator. At the end of the day the user that's building the system should decide what they want.

The whole point of AMD not giving H a card is because they deemed the card pointless before ever touching it, thats the point. Its like news stations reporting the news without ever being at the scene.

Does it cost a lot? Yea it does, but it doesnt make the card bad when its so tiny. Its a NICHE product at the of the day, its not a card AMD NEEDS to turn a profit.

And that is fine. Then why are you worried about the Nano review since you aren't interested in a small form system? That is what the Nano and Fury X are intended for.

If you are building a normal everyday system the best card is the 980ti. If you are building a small HTPC or SFF system there is no small form faster card faster then the Fury X and Nano

And the card is pointless. YOU CAN GET A FURY X WHICH IS BARELY BIGGER FOR THE SAME PRICE. ANNNND it's faster. Again why do you care since you said it yourself you have no desire to build a small form factor system?

The problem is is objectivity. For example Hardware Canucks reviewed the Nano perfectly without bullshit personal bias and did point out how much it costs and that you can put a 980ti in most cases the Nano goes into. Its up to the USER TO DECIDE. This has been the issue from the start with H and other websites.

People take this shit WAY WAY too personal as if the card is shit from the get go. It has practically the same FPS as the watercooled models and being twice smaller. Yes its a bit much in terms of price BUT SO FUCKING WHAT? It doesnt make the card bad, it is what it is. Review it, point out the negatives but dont let your personal bias take over the whole fucking review.

You basically deemed the card shit without ever touching it. Good job.

No one at [H] said the card was bad or "shit". It's always amusing when people try to read between the lines of blunt people.

I reviewed and wrote a conclusion about a PDF file. Not the video card itself. It is all I had, was a PDF file to review.

I understand that, but there is a reason they didnt give you guys the card. If places like Hardware Canucks get a card to review why didnt you?

All I am saying is that there seems to be a lot of personal opinion in your last Fury review and the shit storm that followed in the threads after.

AMD was basically painted as terrible, horrible company who is going to go out of business the next day. Majority of that was because of the toxic user base so I am not saying its your fault.

Fury line of cards were/are not THAT bad as they were deemed to be.

I understand that, but there is a reason they didnt give you guys the card. If places like Hardware Canucks get a card to review why didnt you?

All I am saying is that there seems to be a lot of personal opinion in your last Fury review and the shit storm that followed in the threads after.

AMD was basically painted as terrible, horrible company who is going to go out of business the next day. Majority of that was because of the toxic user base so I am not saying its your fault.

Fury line of cards were/are not THAT bad as they were deemed to be.

When you compare them to the competition they are bad.....when it comes to price.

To me the BEST AMD card right now is the 390x IMO. Right now it's hard to tell anyone to buy a fury/fury x/fury nano, they really are overpriced.

There is a pretty strong anti-AMD bias here. It makes sense that they would just not really care much about sending [H] a free card. There is a bias here within the community even if the main site isn't. So that may have factored into whatever decision was made as well.

they could have easily said that they didn't have enough stock to give reviewers, but that would be a lie. i like that at least they are honest about which press sites they dont like. they probably knew about the coil whine and other issues well before and planned for this.

Yeah after reading everything that I have, AMD's decision to alienate and antagonize top-reviewers remains baffling.

The +/- 900Mhz speed that HWC reported is within my expectations.
Moreover, the performance drop does put it under the Fury vanilla - which is a problem in terms of performance/$ - even in AMD vs AMD comparisons.

In better circumstances, I think a better narrative for AMD would have been having a card that started at 850 and clocked to where the Fury X is now. That way they would have had both power-saving and decent top-end DX11 performance - adjusting PowerTune as needed (stock or +50%).

In the end, it just reads that AMD was unprepared for the 980Ti - and so they just went ahead with Fury X at top speeds. If anything, I think the Nano should have led the pack, with the Fury Vanilla/X released afterwards. Of course the issue is then the close performance characteristics with the 390X would have been highlighted even earlier. I get it - the AoTS efforts were a way to take attention off DX11 performance, but the way Roy reacted, as recklessly as he did on social media?

It simply refocused our attention on DX11.

There is a pretty strong anti-AMD bias here. It makes sense that they would just not really care much about sending [H] a free card. There is a bias here within the community even if the main site isn't. So that may have factored into whatever decision was made as well.

Now that is true. These forums are very heavily Nvidia biased. But not Brent and Kyle, They just say it how it is.

AND right now Any Fury product is a bad buy when you compare to Nvidia products in the same price bracket. I mean that is just the cold [H]ard truth about it.

Tech Report is pretty Bias. Always had been.

Tech Power Up was another bad PR move.

http://techreport.com/review/23527/review-nvidia-geforce-gtx-660-graphics-card/11

We chose to exclude DiRT Showdown, since the results skewed the average pretty badly and since AMD worked very closely with the developers on the lighting path tested.

Yep. The TPU I really didn't understand.I sort of get it kinda, but they hadn't done anything that really was way out of bounds to warrant not receiving a card. TR? Well i stopped doing guides and helping in the forums because the reviews started to get ridiculous, and the press releases were even worse. I stopped contributing because I was looking to buy a card for my HTPC. My 460 was dying (it kept overheating even after I cleaned it). I was going to use it for HTPC use but the thermals would have just made the problem worse.

God I loved this build. See the little red H? it was cute. Anyway so I used to go there first mainly before here. What they showed was an overlocked 650 (or something like it) vs a stock clocked AMD card (I don't remember which) when they did this the review became worthless because I needed to know the stock clocks first and then what the overclockability was. Well their test destroyed it's usefulness. So i stopped going there. Because I need the tests to be as even as possible so that I can determine the better buy.

What I currently have right now is the last AMD product that I will more than likely ever buy. I'm currently in the market for either a major upgrade or another full PC build in 2016, and based upon this shit that they're trying to pull I won't be buying another AMD video card, or even their rumored processor line for that matter.

Sorry AMD, you just cost yourself at least $1,500.

LOL. Um I have a sick library of games from Steam many don't have either. If you think I'm odd in that then that's your problem not mine. I will do what I want and stay if I can and contribute where I can. My points have absolutely nothing to do with what you think they do. Some of the games I have work great on Nvidia some less so. It depends on what I'm throwing at the card. So variety matters because I have a variety of games and workloads. [H] is a place for me because there's no other place that appreciates sick cabling, great product selection, custom case work , and i like helping people generally. That's why I come here if you think the Nano crap is why i come here you obviously don't know me. In terms of me commenting on this topic, well how could I miss it? It's like someone throwing a condom in the middle of the floor during gangbang. i think i'm going to notice it and have an opinion.

As I said before running a test with a guaranteed outcome doesn't help. Be it from AMD or Nvidia. It seems you think i am some shill that wants to talk about Nvidia vs AMD. I'm not. This is the only time in my entire life visiting this site where i've been like, "um." 6.7 Years doesn't even scratch the damn surface for the amount time i've spent here. What I'm talking about is creating a testing suite that answers questions. Having a collection of titles that say the same thing over and over because their technology is the same doesn't answer anything but one question. It's helpful for that one question but if I have any others it's less than helpful.

Where's the guarantee? Did we know about how Kepler was unoptimized for Witcher 3 if not for the reviews? Or how pCars underperforms with AMD GPUs because of driver overhead? That's what reviews are for, to give potential buyers a view of the game landscape.

Do you have any proof to back up your claims of guaranteed outcomes?

Please. AMD could have built a better, review-proof card; sent it out to every tech site under the sun and let undeniable numbers speak for themselves. Instead, it's overpriced cards that struggle to keep up. That's not the come-from-behind leap that AMD needed right now.

//We now return you to your regularly scheduled weeping into pillows over "bias".

Last edited:
I've been reading [H] since 1998 or so (heck, this is one of the few forums left where I still use this username), and have always appreciated the no-holds-barred approach Kyle has used when talking about products or companies.

Yes, it can be quite confrontational at times, but the end result is that companies can do one of two things: Get pissed off and threaten to blacklist a site, or look at this as a learning experience and develop better products/be a better company.

Over the years, Kyle has called out several companies for bad/flawed products or poor practices. Several examples include: Intel Pentium III 1.13GHz processor, benchmark cheating by both ATi & nVidia, the Infinium Labs Phantom gaming box, nVidia GeForce 5800 "Leafblower" (the task it was most effective at), Crossfire bugginess / choppiness (well before the frame-pacing issue really came to light). In most of these examples, companies have figured out what went wrong and took steps to get back on track.

No, some of these didn't reach thet level of big editorials like Nanogate has (sorry), but somebody has to do it. If it takes an editorial like this to get AMD to take notice, then good for Kyle to do this. Kyle doesn't benefit from writing a post like this, but if it helps AMD improve their PR and products down the road, then it would have been worth every keystroke. It's not about boosting Kyle's ego; it's about making the industry better.

I am new to this forum and joined at the last "furygate". I have to say that i like some tests that these guys do, but the attitude is a bit off. In example, in every 980ti review, starting with the stock ending with the Asus 980ti the conclusion drawn is "how bad the FuryX" is compared to them. Something went wrong in the "relationship" between [H] and AMD.
The jump in performance between the 780ti and 980ti is so big that i cant remember in the las 10 years a manufacturer to make a jump like this. Compareable to Intels Sandy Bridge.
There is not much love for AMD in the air, considering that the market share droped under 20% for them in the GPU market and i dont want to mention the CPU market...
Just remember guys when AMD wont be arround anymore, that the 980ti costs 650$ because of AMD.

Man, this whole debacle has shown [H] at its finest, and AMD at its worst.

Never change, guys. This is the reason [H] has been my #1 review site since I got into PC building.

AMD screwed the pooch and [H] rightfully called them out on their egregious behavior. And, heck, that very same behavior helped tip the scales in favor of my GTX 970 purchase. I could have gone for a 390, or a 290x. Maybe even a 390X! But, nah, just couldn't support a company that was actively working against one of my favorite places on the Internet.

And hey, my driver issues are gone now too.

Here's to hoping AMD rights its ship, because I had been an AMD GPU user for the past 5+ years, and I miss the days when I could consider them a smart choice.

Last edited:
Kyle is a typical angry old man. But, this is his own site and he can behave however he likes (throwing food and poop, etc). However, when a major company like AMD/Intel/nVidia calls his site out, then the king that has no clothes should probably take notice.....just saying.

Last edited:
I am new to this forum and joined at the last "furygate". I have to say that i like some tests that these guys do, but the attitude is a bit off. In example, in every 980ti review, starting with the stock ending with the Asus 980ti the conclusion drawn is "how bad the FuryX" is compared to them. Something went wrong in the "relationship" between [H] and AMD.

I'm sorry pointing out the facts about performance for video cards that are similarly priced is the wrong thing to do in your opinion.

My opinion is, as long as the cards are priced similarly, I am going to continue to call it like I see it R.E. gaming performance.

Give me something better to compare a 980 Ti to, and I will. Seriously, I'm open to ideas. We have more 980 Ti reviews on the way, an MSI 980 Ti Lightning is being setup. Considering the price of these cards (MSRP $649 for 980 Ti, and a bit more for versions like the Lightning) give me some better ideas for comparing it, I am all ears and will listen to advice from our readers.

Reddit up in arms.....one example:

"For those of us that float around the other hardware/tech forums, I'm sure you've seen the hubub over AMD not sending out review samples of the Nano to Tech Report and HardOCP. Many of us have been aware of HardOCP's bias towards Nvidia. The manner in which HardOCP's editor in chief, Kyle, posts in their Nano sample request thread would only add to my opinion that HardOCP is not only bias towards Nvidia, but anti AMD to an extent as well.
In the paper launch HardOCP did of the Nano, they didn't get all the facts straight. Claiming that the only reason the Nano attains its lower TDP is because it is clocked 100Mhz lower than the Fury X is only half of the reason. The Nano also has higher binned chips than the Fury X.
They also can't seem to grasp the market that the Nano is intended for. When they reviewed the $1000 Titan X, they praised it highly, even after acknowledging that it was for a "niche of a niche video card market" They justify the price because its the single fastest card on the market. The Nano will be the single fastest mini ITX card on the market and is also for a "niche of a niche video card market", yet they complain about the price.
After reading the Nano review and ensuing thread, I think its obvious as to why AMD withheld a review sample. I may be wrong, it could be for other reasons, so if someone has information to the contrary, I'm all ears"........
https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3jjl8v/hardocps_nano_paper_launch_review/

A real grievance can be resolved; differences can be resolved. But an imaginary hurt, a slight - that motherfucker gonna hate you 'til the day he dies.

~Jimmy Hoffa

"For those of us that float around the other hardware/tech forums, I'm sure you've seen the hubub over AMD not sending out review samples of the Nano to Tech Report and HardOCP. Many of us have been aware of HardOCP's bias towards Nvidia. The manner in which HardOCP's editor in chief, Kyle, posts in their Nano sample request thread would only add to my opinion that HardOCP is not only bias towards Nvidia, but anti AMD to an extent as well.
In the paper launch HardOCP did of the Nano, they didn't get all the facts straight. Claiming that the only reason the Nano attains its lower TDP is because it is clocked 100Mhz lower than the Fury X is only half of the reason. The Nano also has higher binned chips than the Fury X.
They also can't seem to grasp the market that the Nano is intended for. When they reviewed the $1000 Titan X, they praised it highly, even after acknowledging that it was for a "niche of a niche video card market" They justify the price because its the single fastest card on the market. The Nano will be the single fastest mini ITX card on the market and is also for a "niche of a niche video card market", yet they complain about the price.
After reading the Nano review and ensuing thread, I think its obvious as to why AMD withheld a review sample. I may be wrong, it could be for other reasons, so if someone has information to the contrary, I'm all ears"........
https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3jjl8v/hardocps_nano_paper_launch_review/

LOL 9 Comments is consider up in arms, low standard these days huh.

Surprised this has gone on this long. Then again, if amd made a better or cheaper card, none of the favoritism/bias would be blamed.
Remember the nvidia 970 3.5gb crapfest? But none of us biased [h] members were upset lolol
I want AMD to make competitive gpus and cpus, but I'm not going to buy something overpriced and underperforming.

Competition is good. If nvidia didnt release the 980ti when they did, a lot more people *might* have bought amd cards...if it had hdmi 2.0 and more memory.

Nice to see kyle dealing with it well. But I'd be worried about getting DDOSd.

Also think it might be funny if [h] did an overview of fitting full sized videocards into mini-itx cases but might be a little over the top...

Kyle is a typical angry old man. But, this is his own site and he can behave however he likes (throwing food and poop, etc). However, when a major company like AMD/Intel/nVidia calls his site out, then the king that has no clothes should probably take notice.....just saying.

You are here for 49 days and say that shit? One trolling son of a gun.

You are here for 49 days and say that shit? One trolling son of a gun.

Like I said before, probably somebody who had the banhammer dropped on him and snuck back in. He'll probably find his butthole rotor rootered again eventually.

Or it's Roy.

AMD? Are you hiring? If not, you might want to reconsider whom is running your marketing show... that Roy guy stinks worse than the stinky river in Viet-Nam... anyone who has been in Saigon knows about this place here:

th

Actually I am more worried about the behaviour of people within AMD more then anything else. If Kyle didn't care there would be no such article ...

You should read that episode about Kyle vs Phantom console. Kyle went to court just to defend an article regarding the shady stuff that was going on with the company behind the console. In the end, the article was right in cautioning readers against per-purchasing the console, as it turned out to be a vaporware.

Kyle is on the reader's side, not any of the company's side. So when AMD/nVidia or whoever calls his site out, I'll guarantee you it is NOT for the sake of us consumer, and you won't find me on their side.

Of course, if certain people are so emotionally invested in these companies that they would rather be on their side, that's their choice. But I do not want to see [H] ever changing their honest and outspoken ways.

AMD expected the sites to announce it and market it for free. If they make the announcement without actually launching the hardware, then they open themselves up to that.

That's only looking at half of the picture though.
While AMD (as well as any other company) obviously profits from giving out material to websites, the websites themselves profit from it as well because they rely on new content to keep users interested and therefore generate revenue.

Hehe, so I went back and read the entire page and it is mostly people defending [H] rather than up in arms. That is funny.

rationis = supermodelthriller, pushing hits to his hatchet piece on [H]? Say it ain't so. And for what it is worth, it is not even well written. I could hammer out a much better article with that same title in about 10 mintues. ;)

I'm looking forward to the review - very confident that they will test the card with how most people will end up using it and the review will stand on it's own. Also looking forward to the change at AMD and excited what a new focus will bring them.

AMD and Techreport Kiss and make up

Roy apologized to Scott
I just received a very nice phone call from AMD's Roy Taylor. He apologized for his earlier comments on Twitter and says he doesn't think The Tech Report's reviews are unfair. He seems like a decent guy with perhaps a too-strong personality, and I can relate to that. So all is forgiven from my point of view.

Thanks to everybody for their support. Here's hoping we can put this bit of unpleasantness behind us and move on to happier things.

Is it time to forgive and let go?

It seems you are hiding behind an alias?
You obviously have a large erection for AMD......
I looked at that page and there are equally as many posters who agree with HardOCP as there are who are in your camp.
A total of 11 posts......yikes......I should abandon ship.

I read several reviews of the Nano yesterday.
Not a single site gave it a glowing review, most liked the concept and praised AMD for putting out a product that is innovative.......but a number of the reviews were not done in a way HardOCP would have done.
Anantech put the card in a somewhat smaller case environment, I guess Tom's hardware was the only site that used an honest to goodness SFF case and the Nano ran hot. The Guru said he used a "mini-ITX case" didn't say which one....and noted throttling of 10-15% due to heat.
Take it or leave it but every single reviewer was puzzled about the price.
Nobody really recommended buying the thing for that price, simply because it has no worth at that price for the advertised use.

Where am I going with this?

Kyle mentioned this a long while back.....he stopped listening to the conference call when the price was announced.....why, because the price was out of bounds for the purpose. Yup, something every other reviewer has said that has seen,tested and reviewed the card.

.......and somehow HardOCP is "unfair".

How about all the accolades years ago for the AMD FX single core CPUs?
How about the ATI 9700 series? The 7900 series?
Multiple articles about Eyefinity?

All that was "fair" I guess.

Please go back to reddit.

Last edited:
AMD and Techreport Kiss and make up

Roy apologized to Scott

Is it time to forgive and let go?

"too-strong personality" that is a code word for amazing arrogant jerk.

I guess when you are PAID to be 100% biased then you arrogantly think that everyone in the world should agree with your arrogant point of view.

Clearly this was a strategic move on AMD's part to get force good PR. I think it is time to move on, away from AMD and toward Nvidia, AMD is dying a slow painful death and in many ways it was slow suicide that caused it.

Back