AMD, Roy Taylor, the Nano, and the Press @ [H]

All that's been apologized for is those statements from one individual.

Not the denial of our sites to receive review cards.

This whole story unraveling itself has been amazing from start to finish.

This is the kind of journalism that forces companies to wake up from their self instilled trances and realize that they have a consumer base that put them there in the first place.

Great job [H]!!!!!

Cool, sounds like all is kosher now.

Or maybe not...........

Amd handled this terribly. How are you struggling with that? Go to the other sites amd felt "unfair" and read about their feelings and the call. Your posts have been silly...

Thy;ve got a "what would you do with a Nano" contest running, winner gets a Nano.
If I tweeted, I'd enter it: "I'd send it to HardOCP or The Tech Report for review."

Just an idea.

Oh come on. Don't do that!

Look, I was only pointing out that there was a controversy RE: 970 (and it was a controversy; whether it was caused by unfair marketing campaign on behalf of AMD or legitimate grievances by the public, team Green did issue a statement to quell the public outrage)...that's all. I understand fully that there was no performance degradation of said GPU. And also, In my humble opinion, I thought this site was a bit muted in regards to the 970 at that time. I have never accused this site for having Green envy...ever.

I don't want to start a fight here over dead issues. I hate the AMD vs. nVidia crap. I hate it even more than The State of Texas. Really!

Hey, I see that you have a SS X-850.
See, we're already on common ground!

They did correct the specification of the GTX 970 in their reviews, but they were silent on the matter itself largely because, controversy or not, it doesn't affect their result (or at least, the result have already reflected that), and their conclusion is their opinion based purely on the performance of the card itself.

I reckon they didn't see marketing blunder/lies as relevant to the performance evaluation.

Nice writeup, it read like a GPU episode of VICE.

I can understand how a company with a lackluster product might not be keen on sending samples off to slaughter to no-bullshit sites that won't pull any punches. After all, AMD knows the numbers internally. They know what [H]''s findings are going to look like. But what I can not understand is why AMD PR wouldn't go Power of Silence™ mode and keep their mouths shut while doing so.

Even Microsoft finally figured out how to stay quiet when tough questions are asked, where answering or acknowledging them would expose agenda and upset customers. Instead Roy and friends just argued the hook in deeper. Not that all of this hasn't been obscenely entertaining and the inevitable butt of jokes for years to come.

It's probably time for Roy to go, and I say that with tears in my eyes.

Last edited:
This is the problem that we see and have seen with AMD PR and Marketing, its unprofessional, and spur of the moment. There is no unified plan. This is why large companies don't let employees talk for them without legal being involved lol, everyone has to be held accountable.

Never buying an AMD gpu again... after seeing all of this play out.

Yes, but the point is, they start off at a different clock speed then they end up at, after spending time gaming. A lot of tests from other sites are done with short benchmarks.

I doubt most sites don't check to see if card gets hot enough to be a problem. If card shows that temp doesn't say go over 70c for example don't need to run the tests long on a card that never gets hot enough to throttle. Get the test done as fast as they can. They would do longer if card shows to get near where it would throttle.

I sure has heck wouldn't ever buy one based on any crap AMD PR spouts.

I doubt most sites don't check to see if card gets hot enough to be a problem. If card shows that temp doesn't say go over 70c for example don't need to run the tests long on a card that never gets hot enough to throttle. Get the test done as fast as they can. They would do longer if card shows to get near where it would throttle.

I sure has heck wouldn't ever buy one based on any crap AMD PR spouts.

That's why you first have to find out if it does, and when, and how, and to what, and report that to the reader. Temperature is not the only variable that affects clock, TDP and other things do as well. That testing is a must, IMO.

I'd buy one if got a HardOCP Gold medal and suited my needs.
I'm not going to let one stupid marketroid stand in the way of good engineering, if it's there.

Ugh. Can't believe I wasted another precious evening, posting to a click bait/tech drama forum thread.

We should all get cards. Dr. Hsu needs to come down here right now and pull an Oprah and we all get cards!

What a waste...goddam tech sites!

Again, that is my point. [H] has cost themselves review cards for their rhetoric, right or wrong.

And to make matters worse, Kyle, just now, said this after proclaiming AMD had apologized:

Yikes.......drinking much?

How many people need to tell you that you have no clue what you're talking about before you get it?

This is the problem that we see and have seen with AMD PR and Marketing, its unprofessional, and spur of the moment. There is no unified plan. This is why large companies don't let employees talk for them without legal being involved lol, everyone has to be held accountable.

Or........... AMD has finally spoken out about [H] 'Unprofessional and spur of the moment' diatribe and cut them off. No more free shit for you.................

Or........... AMD has finally spoken out about [H] 'Unprofessional and spur of the moment' diatribe and cut them off. No more free shit for you.................

So what about other sites? I can assure you that Overclockers.com have NEVER bashed AMD and they are actually more liberal toward them than other sites. They have not received a single 3xx review card yet.

AMD is quite pathetic tbh. I almost feel bad for them. this company will not exist in it's current form in two years. count on it.

AMD is all about immoral marketing gimmick these days

"6 cores" cpu that only has 3 FPU cores and other markting gimmics that makess their product looks better than they really is.
Now hand picking reviews sites for more "fair" reviews.

Its amazing that a company has fallen this far from their golden days of the AthlonXP and Athlon64 and
ATI with their radeon 4850 to now pushing out handicapped CPU's and overpriced GPU's

One of the reasons i read H is because H never had an need to please the companies and had no issues calling a pieces of SH.. for what it really is.

I'd buy one if got a HardOCP Gold medal and suited my needs.
I'm not going to let one stupid marketroid stand in the way of good engineering, if it's there.

I forgot to finish my post. I'll buy a Radeon gpu...just not an AMD one. :D

hiring this Roy Taylor clown was a big mistake. guy all over twitter daily posting outright nonsense it seems. ain't gonna be any quality review sites with a Nano sample.

All I want to say is, when the "reviews" get published, look closely at what is reported, what is covered, and the comparisons made. I think how the clock speed operates, and what the real-world clock speeds are might be glossed over in some reviews, or even incorrect if not tested right.

Something we do, that I know not everyone does, is test cards after the card as "warmed up" while gaming. Typically 15+ minutes in from gaming the GPU will have warmed up and clock speeds will be different from just testing the card right out of the gate in a short benchmark. A short benchmark is going to show higher results compared to running the card for thirty minutes and then playing a game. The clocks will be different, the results will be different. We test cards after they have gone through this warm up period, which takes extra time, but it is worth it cause you get real-world results.

I think some points will not be made about how Fury X (also a small card) wiill fit into the same cases as the Nano. Granted, you need a space for the rad and fan, but most SFF cases, even ITX, have room for this. I have seen Fury X ITX builds on youtube and the Internet. It is possible. I want to see this talked about. mATX cases for sure can house Fury X.

Finally, the price being the same as the Fury X, I have a feeling this will be downplayed. I also have a feeling availability might be downplayed.

We shall see, but it will be interesting to see if things are left out, downplayed, swept under the rug, and just not discussed when it comes to Nano in the reviews to come. These are all important factors.

"Fair" reviews would keep these topics in-mind and discuss them in reviews.

Brent, I always pay attention to the review techniques. I will say that's the biggest reason I read [H] reviews, because they are real world.

What I also look for are sites who's benchmark suites favor one brand over the other.

AMD is all about immoral marketing gimmick these days

"6 cores" cpu that only has 3 FPU cores and other markting gimmics that makess their product looks better than they really is.
Now hand picking reviews sites for more "fair" reviews.

Its amazing that a company has fallen this far from their golden days of the AthlonXP and Athlon64 and
ATI with their radeon 4850 to now pushing out handicapped CPU's and overpriced GPU's

One of the reasons i read H is because H never had an need to please the companies and had no issues calling a pieces of SH.. for what it really is.

Keller and Koduri actually represent the golden age for AMD and ATi; A64 and 9700Pro respectively. For now, I would say Keller has the far bigger task. But sound, experienced leadership would certainly aid in better execution of products, be they CPU or GPU.

Or............you are intentionally ignoring the unprofessional and spur of the moment diatribe that Roy puked out all over Twitter (which started all of this, as you are fully aware of). For the *sites* that were targeted, no response from them in regards to Roy's comments would have spoken louder than what they have stated.

29ur2oy_zps7bgfo0nh.png

"Quite frankly, I do not even care that HardOCP is not getting a Nano card for review. I really do not."

I don't care about import cars so I couldn't tell you anything about them, yet you "really don't care" and wrote an editorial about it. You do care atleast to some degree and you do come off as butt hurt because typed words carry no tone.

As far as the asshole comment, that's fine, I'm an asshole too but was that really needed to be thrown in there?

To further support my theory that you do care and what others may have taken as whining
"A "bitch" move by Antal Tungler at AMD, but OK nonetheless."

Could have have rephrased to "An unprofessional move by Antal Tungler at AMD in my opinion."

"I would go so far as to point out that AMD sampled a Nano card to HardForum member (Elmy) so that he could post the build in our own forums! (Which I have since removed. Given that our community does not have a Nano focus.)"

So yes by someone from the outside looking in, you do appear butt hurt you didn't get a Nano for one reason or another and even removed the Nano thread, which you seem to have put back. Had you just moved it I would've believed you but removing it completely is more along childish behavior that if you can't have one then you don't want one on your forum.

It was a bad choice that several review sites didn't get one and could they have handled it better. But you could you have handled it better as well with alittle more professionalism.

I wouldnt support their shitty card either if they cannot provide a review sample.

If [H] doesn't care at all about getting Nano to review then I guess we'll never see a review for the card here, right? You want a real no BS statement? You do ****ing care don't try and pretend otherwise.

Now all of this could have been handled internally you didn't need to write a 3 page article airing the dirty laundry. I thought this was a tech site not a gossip soap opera rag. Everyone comes out looking like fools, this site, AMD, the clowns that take sides and cheerlead like they have some spiritual connection to a company that doesn't give a damn about them.

I believe that he is just telling the truth. Read the facts for what they are. Then comprehend what he is saying. AMD is picking review websites that will bow to them and give them a favorable review at this time. That's NOT how business is done. Well it can be done that way, but consumers will blackball you for being disingenuous.

The review websites that were excluded deserve a public apology.

You might need to apologize to the sites that do get one after this post.

§kynet;1041846482 said:
If [H] doesn't care at all about getting Nano to review then I guess we'll never see a review for the card here, right? You want a real no BS statement? You do ****ing care don't try and pretend otherwise.

Now all of this could have been handled internally you didn't need to write a 3 page article airing the dirty laundry. I thought this was a tech site not a gossip soap opera rag. Everyone comes out looking like fools, this site, AMD, the clowns that take sides and cheerlead like they have some spiritual connection to a company that doesn't give a damn about them.

Did you even read the article? They clearly DID TRY to handle it internally. Kyle talked with his contact and Roy before writing the article. Roy essentially told Kyle to "fuck off" in their initial conversation.

Did you even read the article? They clearly DID TRY to handle it internally.

Then [H] can try harder. The whole article is downright pathetic and looks to me like it was written in haste and anger. That's my opinion.

§kynet;1041846489 said:
Then [H] can try harder. The whole article is downright pathetic and looks to me like it was written in haste and anger. That's my opinion.

Try harder? Right because they should just suck it up and tow the AMD line right? They should just bow down and beg AMD's pr not to shit on everyone that they don't cherry pick? You know damn well the only reason Roy was forced to apologize was due to the article. Otherwise he would have not had to answer for his shit.

Back