AMD, Roy Taylor, the Nano, and the Press @ [H]

AMD and Techreport Kiss and make up

Roy apologized to Scott

Is it time to forgive and let go?

Roy was clearly forced to apologize. Both sides are trying to save face to avoid further wrecking relationships.

It's not even about the review sample - did Roy call Kyle and apologize for insinuating [H] was biased and unfair?

Yeah. Somewhere way back in this topic Kyle said Roy talked to him with a handler and then promised to apologize to TR and TPU.

[H] has been always been the first go to site for PC desktop hardware reviews especially for me as an enthusiast builder.

It's a real shame that AMD has taken a path like this, because there's plenty of room to do business in this market.

Ages ago before I joined the green team with a pair of 780GTX cards I was running a pair of HD5850 Radeons, of which I got the first scoop from and unbiased reviews from Hardocp.com. Back then ATI/AMD was kicking ass, and pretty much had DX11 cards that didn't meltdown for a whole 9 months ahead of Nvidia.

Sigh.. Times have changed. There's nothing compelling about AMD hardware anymore to me as an enthusiast, and the Nvidia tech coming just looks so much better. Current offerings are powerful and drivers are just so much better.

Apart from getting a lot of integrated GPU business from consoles and integrated platforms I don't see much to get excited about.

I hope they get their $#it together, because Nvidia needs some competition.

Last edited:
Coming from somebody that has an hd 7990 sitting in the closet and uses a 295x2 currently, AMD/ATI likely just helped me decide my money in the near future will better be spent with NVIDIA.

I was in the same boat. I was wavering between the Fury-X and GTX980-Ti for a while. The Fury-X may be faster in DX12, but AMD tone-deaf pricing(in their little bubble the GTX980-Ti doesn't exist for some reason) and arrogant PR tactics pushed me to get the Zotac GTX980-Ti AMP!. Had the Fury-X been Air-Cooled and $550, I would have gotten one of those, but had I got the Fury-X, it would have been slower, more expensive than the GTX980-Ti, and has no guarantee of being absolutely faster in DX12, and inconvenient radiator really pushed me over to nVidia.

The problem for AMD is that people like us on this board are "taste-makers" for our friends and family. If we run an nVidia card, they are more likely to run with an nVidia card. No matter how much better the R9-390 is than the GTX970, most people will get the GTX970 because people with cards that they know in the same family line are having a good experience.

It's too late for them to correct their prices now, the damage is done. They could have saved it had the R9-Nano been $500, and they avoided shitting down the throats of major Review sites like [H], with PR like "we want you to be fair".

I promise that had AMD priced the Fury-X as $550 and the Fury at $450, they would have gotten much better press, and the sales of the 370, 380, 390 and 390x would be much higher than they are now.

I'm not so much upset at AMD's hardware, but at how they are managing their company.

What??!?!?

That's not me. I'm on your side on this Kyle. That comment was nebulously directed more at Roy?AMD. I guess I should have made it more clear. :)

supedrmodelthriller?? What the hell kind of handle is that anyway?

Yes, I know, the point was I thought it fit supedrmodelthriller perfectly as well.

You should read that episode about Kyle vs Phantom console. Kyle went to court just to defend an article regarding the shady stuff that was going on with the company behind the console. In the end, the article was right in cautioning readers against per-purchasing the console, as it turned out to be a vaporware.

Kyle is on the reader's side, not any of the company's side. So when AMD/nVidia or whoever calls his site out, I'll guarantee you it is NOT for the sake of us consumer, and you won't find me on their side.

Of course, if certain people are so emotionally invested in these companies that they would rather be on their side, that's their choice. But I do not want to see [H] ever changing their honest and outspoken ways.

Yup. When a company is pissed at [H], it's because they got called out by [H] and the readers are informed of some uncomfortable truths. Frankly, I think [H] is among the last of the old school hardware sites that still operates in this manner.

[H] seems to retain that "wild-west" look and feel that surrounded hardware back in the 90s and early 2000s, and I applaud them for it. Rather than giving into the mounting pressure of corporate demands and bribes, they do their best to keep themselves independent and aren't afraid to say it how it is.

That's good journalism, folks.

Yup. When a company is pissed at [H], it's because they got called out by [H] and the readers are informed of some uncomfortable truths. Frankly, I think [H] is among the last of the old school hardware sites that still operates in this manner.

HardOCP is my top tech site precisely for this reason. They have a long history of being on the side of truth and being very no nonsense.

Wow! Roy Taylor...Assloch extraordinaire!

and guess where he is from? Texas.

Texas, a breeding ground of yahoos and asslochs. The state that gave us David Koresh, horrible leather footwear/headgear, and Walker Texas Ranger.

Thanks Texas!

Fuck off asshole.

Kyle is a typical angry old man. But, this is his own site and he can behave however he likes (throwing food and poop, etc). However, when a major company like AMD/Intel/nVidia calls his site out, then the king that has no clothes should probably take notice.....just saying.

They (AMD) fucking apologized dumbass. What don't you understand about that? Roy's management had him call Kyle and say "sorry, I fucked up". If Kyle was the issue, that situation would be flipped.

I reviewed and wrote a conclusion about a PDF file. Not the video card itself. It is all I had, was a PDF file to review.

Perhaps that's what you should have reviewed, then:

AMD today released a PDF file about an upcoming video card. The PDF file is 178KB and features 6 full-color images. It includes 6,325 words typeset mainly in Century Schoolbook, with some Comic Sans here and there for emphasis.

. . .

CONCLUSION
Overall, the AMD PDF file is compact, consumes very little power, and virtually silent. However, we were unable to run our usual benchmark suite on it for the obvious reasons. Therefor, we cannot recommend the AMD PDF file to PC enthusiasts, and recommend they look elsewhere for their GPU needs.​

AMD today released a PDF file about an upcoming video card. The PDF file is 178KB and features 6 full-color images. It includes 6,325 words typeset mainly in Century Schoolbook, with some Comic Sans here and there for emphasis.

. . .

CONCLUSION
Overall, the AMD PDF file is compact, consumes very little power, and virtually silent. However, we were unable to run our usual benchmark suite on it for the obvious reasons. Therefor, we cannot recommend the AMD PDF file to PC enthusiasts, and recommend they look elsewhere for their GPU needs.​

I loled. :p

. . .

CONCLUSION
Overall, the AMD PDF file is compact, consumes very little power, and virtually silent. However, we were unable to run our usual benchmark suite on it for the obvious reasons. Therefor, we cannot recommend the AMD PDF file to PC enthusiasts, and recommend they look elsewhere for their GPU needs.

Epic victory!

. . .

CONCLUSION

Fuckin' lol.

Wow! Roy Taylor...Assloch extraordinaire!

and guess where he is from? Texas.

Texas, a breeding ground of yahoos and asslochs. The state that gave us David Koresh, horrible leather footwear/headgear, and Walker Texas Ranger.

Thanks Texas!

You can thank the ATF wanting a bigger budget (gotta impress congress right before budget talks) for you having ever heard of Koresh. There are several good documentaries out there showing what a cluster fluck that deal was.

And now back to the debate over the nano. Of which I will say, it seems rather petty to pull the forum user's review.

You can thank the ATF wanting a bigger budget (gotta impress congress right before budget talks) for you having ever heard of Koresh. There are several good documentaries out there showing what a cluster fluck that deal was.

And now back to the debate over the nano. Of which I will say, it seems rather petty to pull the forum user's review.

SPONSORED build.

SPONSORED build.

This! ^^^

Seriously... Reading comprehension appears to be in short supply lately... :rolleyes: The fact that it was a SPONSORED build has been said a few times already. You think that members would at least read what was said before commenting...

Also, to Kyle: keep being the asshole that does not pull any punches. :D

Last edited:
Long time reader, 15+ years, but never post....

I think this deserves a well done [H]!

Keep up the great work Kyle and team

You, Sir, just won the internet for the day. :D

. . .

CONCLUSION

This! ^^^

Seriously... Reading comprehension appears to be in short supply lately... :rolleyes: The fact that it was a SPONSORED build has been said a few times already. You think that members would at least read what was said before commenting...

Also, to Kyle: keep being the asshole that does not pull any punches. :D

Yeah, Kyle, you are like the dysfunctional father that many of us never even had. *snif*

And right now AMD is like that other kids father who is a coach and makes me run laps for kpping on a push-up even though I was just trying to get my arms in the right position! BASTARDS!!!

. . .

CONCLUSION

REKT!

iz1G8Xe.gif

Last edited:

. . .

CONCLUSION

LOL Good one!

There is a pretty strong anti-AMD bias here.
If that's the case, why do you think that is?

I for one am not "anti-AMD" but I am very, very much "anti-Bullshit" which is why I love this site so much. The marketing shit, lies, insinuation, false claims and general douchebaggery by AMD in recent times has vastly lowered my opinion of them.

But, and this is a very big "but"

They brought this on themselves.

Had they been honest about their claims of video card and CPU performance, had they been honest about driver issues, had they not tried to blame everyone and everything else other than themselves for issues, had they not just been full of utter bullshit... well, I wouldn't have such a low opinion of them right now.

Let me repeat that for you. THEY did this to themselves. They repeatedly put a gun to their own head and pulled the trigger again and again and again and again and again, all the while screaming that they were being shot and it was everyone elses fault.

Having said all that, if they had a genuinely great product, and they can get their driver issues under control, and they can stop the lies and douchebaggery, I'd be open to looking at them again. The ball is absolutely, 100% in their court.

I've said before that we need AMD for competition, and we do. It's just shame they seem so intent on self-destruction at the moment.

Lot of hot air in this thread but oh well. I have an AMD card-at the time it was the best deal for me and I am not hankering for a faster one now anyway. However, if I were in the market for a new card I wouldn't get one without reading the review on this site. I trust Kyle and Brent and if these guys aren't even given a card to review, then that purchase will never happen and readers of this site know that. I am not talking about Kyle buying a card to review because honestly I think it will happen and while the review will be fair, it will also be brutally honest and that is what scares AMD-the truth.

I am rather looking forward to seeing the H nano review and I'm sure the rest of the site is as well.

-snip-
Honestly, I think we are very lucky to have Nvidia.

Lucky to have a company as moral as Nvidia? When AMD carks it and you have to choke up $1500+ for the successor to the 980ti then you will have a real reason to bitch out AMD name for being such failures. I am angry at AMD because we need a competition, Nvidia are not some great evil but their integrity has always been down in the dumps (much as AMD has been behaving towards journos )and should they have the market to themselves then we will be properly hurting.

I am rather looking forward to seeing the H nano review and I'm sure the rest of the site is as well.

The Nano is purchased. The case that AMD suggested is purchased. A 970 is purchased to run in that case as well. Another case is being supplied by Corsair that will fit full length cards that is focused on mITX as well. We will have some options and show what those options get the guy wanting to build one.

Nano review, meh. I'm waiting for the crossfire/sli showdown at 4k.

No one will send us another Fury X to test with. I have not been able to catch one in stock without at 1 to 2 week lead, and I don't trust those. Ryan over at www.PCPer.com loaned us his Fury X so we could move forward with CF Fury X testing. It is all going well. It will all be done one Win 10 as well.

It's all ok. I don't really care how the card performs. I wasn't ever going to buy and AMD anyway....

This site is so damn good. I OWN an R9 Fury because I wanted a particular Freesync monitor, and it does its job for me but this launch has been so utterly stupid with everything from the AMD slides about the Fury X to this bullshit that I sort of regret buying it.

One thing I wonder about... why is there only two brands of Fury but everyone seemed to jump on the Nano bandwagon again? Powercolor, XFX, etc.

This site is so damn good. I OWN an R9 Fury because I wanted a particular Freesync monitor, and it does its job for me but this launch has been so utterly stupid with everything from the AMD slides about the Fury X to this bullshit that I sort of regret buying it.

One thing I wonder about... why is there only two brands of Fury but everyone seemed to jump on the Nano bandwagon again? Powercolor, XFX, etc.

Because its reference like the fury x. Limited aftermarket (no pcb) is coming soon for the nano also.

Because its reference like the fury x. Limited aftermarket (no pcb) is coming soon for the nano also.

The Sapphire Furies are reference too, only the Asus isn't. But with all this binning and clearly having a hard time with volume on the fully enabled fiji dies you'd think there would be zillions of chips with one or two bad CU's laying around to stick on cards.

Why the hell wouldn't AMD want to move more.... you know what. Nevermind. AMD does the strangest shit anyway, any thought into their motives is likely to give me a migrane.

The Sapphire Furies are reference too, only the Asus isn't. But with all this binning and clearly having a hard time with volume on the fully enabled fiji dies you'd think there would be zillions of chips with one or two bad CU's laying around to stick on cards.

Why the hell wouldn't AMD want to move more.... you know what. Nevermind. AMD does the strangest shit anyway, any thought into their motives is likely to give me a migrane.

Sapphire has a non ref cooler though, which would not be allowed on the Fury-X or nano (for now). Meaning they are all the same besides the stickers.

it's funny, my buddy who works for AMD told me that in his meeting they mentioned HardOCP today. (HardOCP is famous at AMD internally now!)

it's funny, my buddy who works for AMD told me that in his meeting they mentioned HardOCP today. (HardOCP is famous at AMD internally now!)

Not a badge of honor by any means. Being called out by a major company might earn fanboy points from a few hundred forum swingers.....however, long term nothing good comes out of pissing off said major company other than a brief flash of notoriety. Business 101

Not a badge of honor by any means. Being called out by a major company might earn fanboy points from a few hundred forum swingers.....however, long term nothing good comes out of pissing off said major company other than a brief flash of notoriety. Business 101

Not sure what you're going on about here, but you're confused on who needs who. AMD barely exists now, and they need all the friends they can get. So, the opposite of [H]ardOCP.

See ya on Reddit?

Back