AMD Revolutionary Mantle Tech Adopted by Industry Leading Developers

Its been almost a decade and we are yet to have havok accelerated physics. Heck nvidia was working on it before it bought Ageia.

And PhysX ran on AMD HD6000-series cards before Nvidia bought them, too.

Mantle is largely code ported from Xbone/PS4. I imagine the the only console/PC titles that won't [publicly] use it to some extent are Nvidia Meant To Be Played titles. Very curious to see if this increases performance 10%+, or 2%.

Mantle is largely code ported from Xbone/PS4. I imagine the the only console/PC titles that won't [publicly] use it to some extent are Nvidia Meant To Be Played titles. Very curious to see if this increases performance 10%+, or 2%.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't AMD confirm that none of the next gen consoles would be using Mantle?

I'm in the Project Cars Alpha, which is a Nvidia sponsored title, and the developers keep tossing around the idea of looking into Mantle. It's one of the new PhysX games where PhysX runs on the CPU instead of the video card so everyone gets the same effects. I don't know if they will implement Mantle, but their interest in it is at least promising.

I'm in the Project Cars Alpha, which is a Nvidia sponsored title, and the developers keep tossing around the idea of looking into Mantle. It's one of the new PhysX games where PhysX runs on the CPU instead of the video card so everyone gets the same effects. I don't know if they will implement Mantle, but their interest in it is at least promising.

Tell them to start over w/ OpenGL. :D

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't AMD confirm that none of the next gen consoles would be using Mantle?

In consoles it may not be called "Mantle", but they've been touting the portability of the code since their first press released.

Whats all this whining about the API being proprietary? They're all proprietary. OpenGL, Direct3D, etc. Some are free to use, some require licensing, but the source code behind them all is proprietary. We should be thrilled an actual GPU maker is developing an actual graphics API. D3D has been lagging behind and has very little interest from microsoft since it defeats the purpose of selling more inferior consoles. Why design an API that outclasses your own hardware on desktop PC's anybody can buy? MS will slowly devolve their API till it meets the capabilities of their consoles. Thank god AMD is stepping up to the plate and making sure that PC's are where the real graphics innovation comes from.

cheers to that, but things like openGL/openCL are not nearly as closed source, Mantle is to a point open and to a point closed, so it really seems to come down to how the dev wants to use it, AMD didn't state that Nvidia or whomever cannot use it, there very well could be a dev that works with Nvidia, Intel, AMD and others that sees what it could do and make more customized coding to allow it to go onto others though as it stands right now its the first notch in that stick sort of speak to work in kind with AMD cpu and Radeon graphics, though they are very keen on making that implementation to x86/x64 for cpu wise and GCN for graphics for the moment of course but would not be surprised if they opened it up like the recently have done for havok so more then just 1 hardware maker can take advantage of it.

The future is fusion AMD said, I think that strikes a nice note in this that anyone and everyone can use the base how they see fit, and by being kind of closed but kind of open will allow the best in and the worst out of the underlying structure if you will.

I see a lot of promise here more then I ever did for prop bs like PhysX or specific routines that rely on specific chips like infamous compliers to make work. Nothing is stopping anyone from taking the base making a few changes and presto even possibly a smartphone gpu can take advantage of some mantle features, benefit of "open" it can become better over time and not rely on one maker like MS to make the changes and WHQL it you know.

Nvidia had proven time and time again to go out of there way to screw anyone who does not play by there rules. Remember disabling anti-ailiasing on almost all Unreal engine games for anything NOT Nvidia? All you had to do is rename the exe, and anti-ailiasing would "magically" work on AMD cards. Its BS rules like that they force on dev's is why I can never support them, and its why I hope Mantle is adopted.

Nvidia had proven time and time again to go out of there way to screw anyone who does not play by there rules. Remember disabling anti-ailiasing on almost all Unreal engine games for anything NOT Nvidia? All you had to do is rename the exe, and anti-ailiasing would "magically" work on AMD cards. Its BS rules like that they force on dev's is why I can never support them, and its why I hope Mantle is adopted.

They all do this stuff. I support the better product for my use; reward companies for good behaviour, punish them for bad behaviour, with my dollars.

I am quite interested in this. Would be interesting to see how tables turn since in some reviews BF3 is running better on nVidia than AMD. Same for BF4 MP. If more games adopt this and because this is being used in consoles as well, people will have little choice but to buy AMD.

Actually the unreal engine did not support AA and NVIDIA provided the code to make it work on NVIDIA cards. AMD could have done the same thing.

So in reality NVIDIA was the good guy and AMD was the bad guy (or at least the lazy guy).

Actually the unreal engine did not support AA and NVIDIA provided the code to make it work on NVIDIA cards. AMD could have done the same thing.

So in reality NVIDIA was the good guy and AMD was the bad guy (or at least the lazy guy).

Thank you for your input Mr Nvidia shill.

Thank you for your input Mr Nvidia shill.

That he may be, but I think he's right on this one- UE3 didn't support AA out of the box, for whatever stupid reason. I remember having to play Mass Effect without it on the PC, on an Nvidia card no less.

Don't think there's going to be much action on the TWIMTBP front.

Oxide Games - "which lets us see dramatic increases in performance on Mantle-enabled systems"

Back