AMD reveal next-gen ‘Nvidia killer’ graphics card at CES?

cover2.jpg

In for 2 or 3.Oh shit..........no more crossfire/Tri fire support.Bring back ATI............

This kind of news is actually really good for Nvidia fans - it's believed by some that the reason the 1080Ti was so strong was because AMD over hyped Vega and their new memory architecture which compelled Nvidia to go all in with the 1080Ti and make it more than it might have been.

Tensor/RT cores have more or less proven themselves to be worthless. They're incredibly hard to program for and most of the time in most games, including raytracing enabled ones, they sit and do nothing. Which, if you're keeping score, is the reason why cards with no Tensor/RT cores are capable of running ray-traced games in the first place.
All AMD really has to do to reach parity with current gen RT is make a card with super-fast cache. Well that and of course reach parity in terms of raster performance. Obviously to stay in the performance game they will have to exceed it as obviously the nVidia 3xxx series looms.

We'll see if they can be successful in that, but this is the first chance AMD has been in position to do so in some time. I'd welcome them doing it finally. nVidia has become a plague.

Last edited:
But not 3 unique words. It's like advertising a 3 course meal at a restaurant and when you get there, it's just 3 cheeseburgers served one at a time.

Sorry, I'm tired. Great thread though, 5 thumbs up.
Unique was not part of the constraints. Stop!!’

I'm pretty sure AMD has the ability right now, so it's frustrating to see them not release a RTX 2080 equiv. Forget Nav 2, bring that out whenever, but in the meantime give us a Navi 2080 Ti. They use to bring out the entire lineup, 6000 series, 7000 series, x4xx they all had low, mid and high end range cards. Now AMD's lineup is a mess... and it seems they are filling the low / mid / high(er) end cards with completely different generations. You've got a 570 4gb, 580, 590, Vega 56 cards, and 57xx cards. They have the tech, why not just bring out the entire Navi lineup and scrap everything else.

We get an announcement that Navi 2 will be announced at CES, and yet currently we only have 2 navi mid end cards.

Isn't that why Raja Kadouri left? Because Lisa Su only cares about semi-custom and doesn't care about competing at the top.

Leftovers

He had nothing to do with the cpu department, just gpu. You knew what he meant. AMD always claims they have an Nvidia CRUSHING NextGen right around the corner and then the cards Nvidia has been sitting on get released.

I'm pretty sure AMD has the ability right now, so it's frustrating to see them not release a RTX 2080 equiv. Forget Nav 2, bring that out whenever, but in the meantime give us a Navi 2080 Ti. They use to bring out the entire lineup, 6000 series, 7000 series, x4xx they all had low, mid and high end range cards. Now AMD's lineup is a mess... and it seems they are filling the low / mid / high(er) end cards with completely different generations. You've got a 570 4gb, 580, 590, Vega 56 cards, and 57xx cards. They have the tech, why not just bring out the entire Navi lineup and scrap everything else.

We get an announcement that Navi 2 will be announced at CES, and yet currently we only have 2 navi mid end cards.
What makes you so sure AMD has the ability right now? If they could they would of released something then. I think their problem on the high end is the same as always. They can't get the power and heat under control. With them not using HMB it makes it even worse. People saying Nvidia doesn't have a 7nm ready when in reality their 14nm stuff is still more efficient then anything AMD has. Nvidia is just milking their old tech. I am sure Nvidia has 7nm silicon basicly ready but allowing AMD to front the cost and iron out the 7nm process for them. Nvidia doesn't need it as much as AMD so why should they push it?

High end Navi will be slower than 2080ti, RT performance will be lower and it will use more power, debut with a mediocre blower style cooler.

The prophet has spoken.

Hehe I'll take that bet and say it will be faster than 2080 Ti in new DX 12/Vulkan games while having better RT performance. Price? $799

Hehe I'll take that bet and say it will be faster than 2080 Ti in new DX 12/Vulkan games while having better RT performance. Price? $799

Same expectation release after release. When are you guys going to come to your senses?

Edit; and let's skip the "but they did it to Intel!" arguments shall we? This is a completely different ballgame. Nvidia isn't sitting around not releasing new and amazing hardware. They are releasing new features as well. Remember when they released the entire 1xxx architecture when they didn't even have competition and then again with the 2000 series?

Last edited:
Same expectation release after release. When are you guys going to come to your senses?

Edit; and let's skip the "but they did it to Intel!" arguments shall we? This is a completely different ballgame. Nvidia isn't sitting around not releasing new and amazing hardware. They are releasing new features as well. Remember when they released the entire 1xxx architecture when they didn't even have competition and then again with the 2000 series?

If the 2080 Ti Super rumors pan out to be true, then it's a very bad sign from team green and gives AMD a big opening.

That’s pretty aggressive. Isn’t this just a bigger die 5700XT? Or is that pretty unknown?

It can't be just a bigger die since this has RT baked in supposedly and a more refined 7nm process. I'm sure they made some other changes under the hood too.

How many people would be interested in a Big Navi that equals a RTX 2080 Super for $100 less and no RT?

i think their hbm2 products will compete with power efficiency and speed but cost more..

the ddr6 products will compete in the same realm perf wise, but will use more power and be cheaper.

(edit: compete with current nvidia top end products)

If the 2080 Ti Super rumors pan out to be true, then it's a very bad sign from team green and gives AMD a big opening.

Perhaps it's a sign that Nvidia just wants to sell more cards. They are after all competing with themselves given AMDs disinterest in releasing competitive products.

(edit: compete with current nvidia top end products)

So you feel that AMD is determined to stay two years behind?

Remember that Nvidia is releasing new cards too ;).

Back