AMD Responds to HardOCP on Raw Data VR Performance

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
On the other hand......maybe the AMD cards performed BETTER than what the Radeon guys found in their lab.....they don't specifically say "worse", just "different results" than they got???....maybe they would do better if the 480s were Crossfired?

Just sayin'

On the other hand......maybe the AMD cards performed BETTER than what the Radeon guys found in their lab.....they don't specifically say "worse", just "different results" than they got???....maybe they would do better if the 480s were Crossfired?

Just sayin'

@hardocp we are looking into it. Suspect an older version of ue4 in this title prior to our vr optimization work.

What?

UE4 has gone through a bunch of different releases. They are updating/optimizing it all the time.

I'm wondering what the poster above me was talking about, because that tweet implies nothing about them getting worse results than [H].

Don't think AMD will fix this issue.

If the game was compiled with an older version of UE4 before the vr optimizations were available, then there really isn't anything they can do about it unless the game is recompiled with a newer version of UE4 that does support the vr optimizations.

In theory, it shouldn't be that big of a problem to recompile with a newer version of UE4, but who knows if the game studio will do so.

I wonder how much Game Works integration and optimizations were done? That would definitely explain why the game would run better on an Nvidia based card than the AMD one. Now, what can AMD do for optimizations now is the next question that needs asking. That said, I am not going to waste my time or money on VR because, after all, why should I pay to become motion sick? ;)

Glad to know that after two years Kyle finally found/remembered the [H] twitter password!! ;)

headcrab.jpg

Was it hiding inside that crab?? :p

Personally thankful for Twitter and individuals at companies that don't mind dropping a helpful piece of info out, however, was it something recently that happened re: AMD Executives that they no longer allow you such access? I don't understand what their deal is and the shade they throw at us (mostly you) for legitimate issues and questions.
They did not like this editorial. From ATI to AMD back to ATI - From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility Which nothing has been proven wrong yet.

Why act surprised? Any company with sense would steer away from you if you wrote about them like that or not? It isn't that your article is wrong, but they have nothing to gain by engaging with [H]. Plenty of other websites exist to work with that have large followings. I do like [H], but that is just plain damage control for P.R.

Wasn't their a big stink and poor handling of the Fury card reviews as well?

Why act surprised? Any company with sense would steer away from you if you wrote about them like that or not? It isn't that your article is wrong, but they have nothing to gain by engaging with [H]. Plenty of other websites exist to work with that have large followings. I do like [H], but that is just plain damage control for P.R.

Who said I was surprised?

I was responding to the people commenting in here, my apologies it should've been clearer.

Maybe you weren't surprised. I guess that's why they haven't been the most forth coming with video card samples and information for [H].
I can buy video cards....as we have done. :) But yeah, they have been a bit pissed since the whole Roy Taylor thing. It is what it is. I am not going to sit around and keep my mouth shut when I see things going wrong in our small corner of the world, even if it does negatively affect me. I'm a big boy and can handle it.

MAMDGA is a slogan I could actually get behind. I'm so tired of being at the mercy of Intel's insane prices.
I would also include nvidia and their increasingly insane prices, plus ridiculous attempts in locking everyone to their closed techs.

AMD needs all the help they can get, they gain nothing by shutting out a tech site that could put their hardware in a good light. If they become more selective in their samples then it only brings in more skepticism.

It only gains more negative PR to ban sites who post negative editorials.

This was a real game tested with the real graphics card. As the card is marketed being good for VR, when can AMD customers expect games to actually be good for VR on their cards? Will there be stamps? Seals? Cutoff dates where everything going forward will work well?

Maybe everyone is supposed to buy the cards and hope for mystery optimizations that may come some day if the game developer uses the right secret squirrel UE4 version.

So, an olive branch? I think despite their butt-hurtness, they still have to respond to sites like the [H] when an issue is found. I doubt Kyle will change the way the [H] reviews or does editorials, because AMD tweeted a response, and we would expect no less.

So, an olive branch? I think despite their butt-hurtness, they still have to respond to sites like the [H] when an issue is found. I doubt Kyle will change the way the [H] reviews or does editorials, because AMD tweeted a response, and we would expect no less.
I sent Chris Hook and Raja Koduri an email about Newegg sending out emails concerning the "R9 AMD Class Action Lawsuit," just so they would be aware of what was going on and that opened up a dialogue.

If the game was compiled with an older version of UE4 before the vr optimizations were available, then there really isn't anything they can do about it unless the game is recompiled with a newer version of UE4 that does support the vr optimizations.

In theory, it shouldn't be that big of a problem to recompile with a newer version of UE4, but who knows if the game studio will do so.

If the version of UE4 was old, shouldn't they have confirmed this by now? Should take about 30 minutes to download the game or double check with the developers.

It a sad day when reviews site priorities getting their next sample for free over writting what they believe is the truth.
Many articles have a conclusion where you can see the writer is pulling out all the buts and ifs to try to shine a glorified light and a turd of a product. Just so he may stay on the god side of the brand.
I always favored H for cutting through the BS and be on the readers side. Don't stop writing [H]ard

Reactions: DPI
like this
If the version of UE4 was old, shouldn't they have confirmed this by now? Should take about 30 minutes to download the game or double check with the developers.

Confirming what it is was quick...deciding how to respond is slow. This is always a big issue when you are behind and how to admit it w/o looking like a twat pointing fingers at others. Lets say it was TRUE that it was an older build of UE4. Now if AMD could respond saying "yep, older version and new build is coming out within a week and the results look good"..that is a good response. If they just come out saying yep..older UE4..then it leaves everyone hanging.

Back