AMD Reports 3rd Quarter 2019 Financial Results

Mega6

2[H]4U
AMD Meets Expectations

AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) today announced revenue for the third quarter of 2019 of $1.80 billion, operating income of $186 million, net income of $120 million and diluted earnings per share of $0.11. On a non-GAAP(*) basis, operating income was $240 million, net income was $219 million and diluted earnings per share was $0.18.

Lisa Su - “strong third quarter execution and results. We delivered our highest quarterly revenue since 2005, our highest quarterly gross margin since 2012”

“Computing and Graphics segment. Revenue increased 36% year-over-year and sequentially.”

“ The number of AMD-powered laptops from major OEMs has increased by 50% this year,”

“In server, we had our highest quarterly CPU revenue since 2006, as strong second-generation EPYC processor demand grow a greater than 50% sequential increase in unit shipments and revenue.”

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...-reports-third-quarter-2019-financial-results

Last edited:
I was just about to post about it, though I would've used http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...-reports-third-quarter-2019-financial-results as a source.

Just in time for the report, ars technica ran a scary sounding hit piece article about the RDRAND bug that was fixed 3 months ago. The author somehow managed to waste an entire weekend, talk to AMD about it, then write a whole story with lots of stupid and factual errors in it, without ever looking for a solution. I am 100% sure that was no mistake. That's right up (I mean down) there with doxing Snowden's girlfriend.

Amd is going to have to buy a server and super computer integrator.. even if a small one.
Vendors will always be screwing AMD out of real growth, they must know this by now.

Interestingly, though this is AMD's best quarter since 2005, with increased revenue, increased margin, increased profit, and increased earnings per share, stock price is currently down about 1.5% for the day. Contrasted with Intel's reporting of record revenue but lowered margins, profit, and EPS, but spiked about 5% on reporting day. I reckon the market players are looking more at the Enterprise and custom group, which posted lower revenue and income. Long-term I think this is a mistake, since the markets are looking much at the "Enterprise" market, which in that specific segment AMD increased, but since they report Enterprise with the same group as the game consoles, looks bad on first look.

I wish I picked up AMD stock when it was like 2.00 a share 3-4 years ago.
Yeah but 3-4 years ago AMD stock was cheap because everyone was convinced they'd be out of business in a year.

You gotta be a savant to pick these things. Hell, in 3-4 years from now ARM might be destroying the processor market and eating everybody's x86 lunch...

Yeah but 3-4 years ago AMD stock was cheap because everyone was convinced they'd be out of business in a year.

You gotta be a savant to pick these things. Hell, in 3-4 years from now ARM might be destroying the processor market and eating everybody's x86 lunch...

I know, I cannot believe they pulled their ass out of the fire like this.

Interestingly, though this is AMD's best quarter since 2005, with increased revenue, increased margin, increased profit, and increased earnings per share, stock price is currently down about 1.5% for the day. Contrasted with Intel's reporting of record revenue but lowered margins, profit, and EPS, but spiked about 5% on reporting day. I reckon the market players are looking more at the Enterprise and custom group, which posted lower revenue and income. Long-term I think this is a mistake, since the markets are looking much at the "Enterprise" market, which in that specific segment AMD increased, but since they report Enterprise with the same group as the game consoles, looks bad on first look.
I'm not surprised. The market is fiercely skeptical (and somewhat hopeful) of AMD right now, probably for good reason. They're positioned well, but they need to continue to capitalize on their success, which is difficult in their market and with their limited resources.

I'm not surprised. The market is fiercely skeptical (and somewhat hopeful) of AMD right now, probably for good reason. They're positioned well, but they need to continue to capitalize on their success, which is difficult in their market and with their limited resources.

how dare you

The semi-custom (consoles) is dragging a lot down. New consoles next year on top of Zen3 (soon), Ray-tracing Video Cards and Rome - plus the year to year mining sales left behind - The numbers should be great in 2020 as new products are released.

I was just about to post about it, though I would've used http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...-reports-third-quarter-2019-financial-results as a source.

Just in time for the report, ars technica ran a scary sounding hit piece article about the RDRAND bug that was fixed 3 months ago. The author somehow managed to waste an entire weekend, talk to AMD about it, then write a whole story with lots of stupid and factual errors in it, without ever looking for a solution. I am 100% sure that was no mistake. That's right up (I mean down) there with doxing Snowden's girlfriend.

If you read the article, the BIOS still isn't available on his Asrock Rack X470D4U SERVER motherboard (it is expected mid-November.) That is FIVE MONTHS after the launch of the processors with the bug.

That's fairly unacceptable for such a critical bug, but it's "How things Operate" in the AMD firmware camp :rolleyes: The piece was just intended to light a fire under the ass of AMD and get more pressure from partners to get this shit out.

Don't pretend for a moment that just because AMD's financials are doing better that they are sudddenly beyond constructive criticism. Be realistic for once, and realize that most people,had forgotten about it, and just bought a new motherboard. EVEN THOUGH AM4 WAS SOLD ON UPGRADEABILITY, that comes with a HUGE ASTERIX!

Last edited:
If you read the article, the BIOS still isn't available on his Asrock Rack X470D4U SERVER motherboard (it is expected mid-November.) That is FIVE MONTHS after the launch of the processors with the bug.

That's fairly unacceptable for such a critical bug, but it's "How things Operate" in the AMD firmware camp :rolleyes: The piece was just intended to light a fire under the ass of AMD and get more pressure from partners to get this shit out.

Don't pretend for a moment that just because AMD's financials are doing better that they are sudddenly beyond constructive criticism. Be realistic for once, and realize that most people,had forgotten about it, and just bought a new motherboard. EVEN THOUGH AM4 WAS SOLD ON UPGRADEABILITY, that comes with a HUGE ASTERIX!

Patch released July 12th. assuming this is the right patch. If the vendor didn't release new code for 5 months, you should probably hold asrock to the fire.

Patch released July 12th. assuming this is the right patch. If the vendor didn't release new code for 5 months, you should probably hold asrock to the fire.

Indeed. The author somehow managed to get his MB manufacturer wrong (said ASUS instead of AsRock) and is refusing to acknowledge all comments pointing what you just did. Guy is a tool.

Reactions: Mega6
like this

I am sorry, what does the RDRAND bug have to do with backwards compatibility?

Omfg wait let me act outraged too!

Reminds me of Jay2cents bitching about AMD in a video only to be completely wrong lol. At least he made a follow up video explaining his mistake.

I thought the article stated that AMD did provide de fix to partners, but partners aren't moving their asses.
AMD isn't big enough to pressure partners in any meaningful way, let's be honest. (Unlike Intel).
AMD itself has demonstrated decent reaction and dedication to improve quality and fix bugs.. its the partners thats a problem.. logically for them, even now AMD is the plan B low volume platform.
Its a terrible position to be in, and I do think it has and WILL prevent them from real growth for many years still.
Wait until Intel steps in the GPU business guess who is going to lose internal resources at the partners? Nvidia? Yeah suure.. AMD is going to get effed.
That's why I think they need to shop around for a partner in design of mobos, gpus, servers, and any other designs... Even if they outsource actual manufacturing, the need top to bottom offering that they control and update at the proper pace.. not at the pace of unwilling, dragged by their feet "partners".
I know they do their reference cards for gpus, probably purposely cut down, as to let partners differentiate, and have the sales... I am not sure this is a wise long term strategy though. They might need to really invest in some small of agressive mobo/gpu manufacturer.. (don't know who that would be though)

Last edited:
I know they do their reference cards for gpus, probably purposely cut down, as to let partners differentiate, and have the sales... I am not sure this is a wise long term strategy though. They might need to really invest in some small of agressive mobo/gpu manufacturer.. (don't know who that would be though)

Granted I haven't used an AMD gpu since the RX, but their reference designs are not cut down. In fact they are the benchmark and its the AiB that deviate, often making crap cards in the process. Back in the day I used to rock quad 6950, 797, 290x, and you'd have to step up to a Lightning class card to better the reference design. My best overclockers were the reference cards. Anyone remember Sapphire gutting reference 7950s and removing vrm stages and other manner of crap moves?

Not that I like what I see with investors kind of punishing a bit AMD for doing better.. but I have to agree with it .. as I agree, not enough growth, not fast enough plus most like none of it comes from capturing it from Intel... is a clear indication that mayor growth in this market is a near impossibility while intractable players like Intel remain (and will remain).
I don't think AMD will grow in any meaningful way, I used to think it was possible.. now I am not so sure... Even in the unlikely event Intel offerings become lower performance for the next 10 years (say less performance but within 10% ) I think AMD will be capturing scraps for the next 10 years regardless. They will be re-crushed if Intel beats them at any point... Matching alone will crush them again...
Its a bit sad, but I think when people say 'thanks AMD' for price cuts at Intel they hit the buy button on the cart with the Intel processors.
I mean its difficult to imagine Intel is going to screw up so profoundly as they done so far, with the security mess, and falling behind, yet record revenue for Intel, scraps for AMD, slightly larger scraps, but sad pathetic scraps.
AMD will not get out of a lot of this unless they become full system vendors themselves.. having this thing where yeah, this company has this product and that company has that product... And we partnered for a bit and developed this or that.. that shit its not going to lead to any mayor growth.. they have to be able to say, yeah yeah, we can install your 100 server racks by tommorow (or whatever is a good time frame with these things) and have your IT installing software by the afternoon, all supported by AMD, everything.

Lmao, if it was so easy to win at the tech sector, there would be more than just Intel and AMD. It will take time to claw back from near death. My gawd, keep it real.

Not that I like what I see with investors kind of punishing a bit AMD for doing better.. but I have to agree with it .. as I agree, not enough growth, not fast enough plus most like none of it comes from capturing it from Intel... is a clear indication that mayor growth in this market is a near impossibility while intractable players like Intel remain (and will remain).
I don't think AMD will grow in any meaningful way, I used to think it was possible.. now I am not so sure... Even in the unlikely event Intel offerings become lower performance for the next 10 years (say less performance but within 10% ) I think AMD will be capturing scraps for the next 10 years regardless. They will be re-crushed if Intel beats them at any point... Matching alone will crush them again...
Its a bit sad, but I think when people say 'thanks AMD' for price cuts at Intel they hit the buy button on the cart with the Intel processors.
I mean its difficult to imagine Intel is going to screw up so profoundly as they done so far, with the security mess, and falling behind, yet record revenue for Intel, scraps for AMD, slightly larger scraps, but sad pathetic scraps.
AMD will not get out of a lot of this unless they become full system vendors themselves.. having this thing where yeah, this company has this product and that company has that product... And we partnered for a bit and developed this or that.. that shit its not going to lead to any mayor growth.. they have to be able to say, yeah yeah, we can install your 100 server racks by tommorow (or whatever is a good time frame with these things) and have your IT installing software by the afternoon, all supported by AMD, everything.

That’s a very abstract argument based on pure opinion and speculation. I disagree with pretty much all of it. Cloud and data center wins for EPYC with 50% growth. Maybe you missed that?

First of all, so you even know how enterprise purchasing works?

Your not going to intel or Amd, you are purchasing a server from hp or dell. The software vendor sizes the boxes and reviews the sizing with the company software team. And then you are purchasing / extending a service contract for your server typically from whom u bought the servers from or your already in place service contract. They do the end to end.

Scenario 2 you are purchasing cloud from a vendor. Amazon, MS, etc.

Step 3 the company IT logs in and builds the software on it.

As a business, you never deal with the cpu manufacturers. Ever.

End to end build and maintain means you have no IT and are content with someone else running everything. Only very small companies do that. Guess what? Intel and Amd don’t do that.

The software vendor specs size after u give them the user count ..blah blah cpu cores xxxx MHz, RAM, disk. You don’t go to cpu manufacturers for that, would you? No.

server level and cloud space. That’s it. And I can guarantee you if you want to spin up servers, you sure the hell better look at AMD.

The problem is the software vendors are puking out aizing specs for xeons. They haven’t sized for EPYC. Yet - they are now.

Last edited:
Lmao, if it was so easy to win at the tech sector, there would be more than just Intel and AMD. It will take time to claw back from near death. My gawd, keep it real.

That’s a very abstract argument based on pure opinion and speculation. I disagree with pretty much all of it. Cloud and data center wins for EPYC with 50% growth. Maybe you missed that?

First of all, so you even know how enterprise purchasing works?

Your not going to intel or Amd, you are purchasing a server from hp or dell. The software vendor sizes the boxes and reviews the sizing with the company software team. And then you are purchasing / extending a service contract for your server typically from whom u bought the servers from or your already in place service contract. They do the end to end.

Scenario 2 you are purchasing cloud from a vendor. Amazon, MS, etc.

Step 3 the company IT logs in and builds the software on it.

As a business, you never deal with the cpu manufacturers. Ever.

End to end build and maintain means you have no IT and are content with someone else running everything. Only very small companies do that. Guess what? Intel and Amd don’t do that.

The software vendor specs size after u give them the user count ..blah blah cpu cores xxxx MHz, RAM, disk. You don’t go to cpu manufacturers for that, would you? No.

server level and cloud space. That’s it. And I can guarantee you if you want to spin up servers, you sure the hell better look at AMD.

The problem is the software vendors are puking out aizing specs for xeons. They haven’t sized for EPYC. Yet - they are now.
Yeah yeah ok, takes time, takes time AMD 2022 : 2.3!!! Billion WOW!! AMD 2023: back at 1.6 Billion, 2024 re-broke, is AMD going to survive? All over again.
It matters little how 'the server world' works, it works with a persistent Intel first tilt , that I am seriously doubting it can be overcomed. Now if they can be effectively both cpu and systems providers they might have a long term chance.
Those very system purveyors, how much bigger are they than AMD? They sell somebody else's tech! Yet they are bigger by 10x? More? They are doing this by selling Intel! They will just go right back there the second they can... Seems insidous to me.
If possible they should become both, tech and system provider, try to catch some of that profit.. don't know if possible though, put it might be worth the risk .. just make your own effing market so to speak.
Btw , of course its my opinion, what else will it be?
And yes I do hope I am wrong, and AMD grows to non pathetic levels, but to established company levels.

Yeah yeah ok, takes time, takes time AMD 2022 : 2.3!!! Billion WOW!! AMD 2023: back at 1.6 Billion, 2024 re-broke, is AMD going to survive? All over again.
It matters little how 'the server world' works, it works with a persistent Intel first tilt , that I am seriously doubting it can be overcomed. Now if they can be effectively both cpu and systems providers they might have a long term chance.
Those very system purveyors, how much bigger are they than AMD? They sell somebody else's tech! Yet they are bigger by 10x? More? They are doing this by selling Intel! They will just go right back there the second they can... Seems insidous to me.
If possible they should become both, tech and system provider, try to catch some of that profit.. don't know if possible though, put it might be worth the risk .. just make your own effing market so to speak.
And yes I do hope I am wrong, and AMD grows to non pathetic levels, but to established company levels.

it’s your attitude that has to change, just like the attitude of the idiot who checks the intel box instead of the higher performing and cheaper Amd box.

it’s your attitude that has to change, just like the attitude of the idiot who checks the intel box instead of the higher performing and cheaper Amd box.
Minus an Intel laptop (mea culpa, mea culpa), I've been AMD even when they are slower...

ROME wasn't built in a day. You have to look at overall progress, overall deals. Are they getting better and better in server market share overtime or not? EPYC is going in almost every damn super computer and major companies are already on board. You think everyone is going to rip and replace the day it launches. There is a sales cycle, I am sure AMD will keep increasing their market share. Its a marathon not a quick sprint.

All you have to do is read up. Are they getting more and more? Hell yes they are. They gone from 1% to 3.4% as of q2 2019. You think with EPYC they are going to not make bigger dent? Heck AMD will be happy with double digit share for now and keep pounding at it.

https://www.extremetech.com/computi...are-could-more-than-double-by-the-end-of-2020

Seriously, you come back with more of this shit?

A lot of that sweet new money is still going to have to go to debt servicing from the almost-bankrupt years :/
Hopefully they're channeling a bit more into R&D now though
/Laissez les bons temps rouler!

I wish I picked up AMD stock when it was like 2.00 a share 3-4 years ago.

I wish I had bought more than a measly 100 shares of AMD stock when it was $2 a share. I bought it more in an effort to support one of my favorite companies with full expectation that I was probably going to lose a good chunk of that money. Who knew that it is the only reason my stock portfolio isn't in any worse shape after I purchased GE and some of the banks that year.

Back