AMD Reports 2015 Third Quarter Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced revenue for the third quarter of 2015 of $1.06 billion, operating loss of $158 million, and net loss of $197 million, or $0.25 per share. Non-GAAP(1) operating loss was $97 million and non-GAAP(1) net loss was $136 million, or $0.17 per share. GAAP and non-GAAP results include a $65 million inventory write-down and the impact of this charge to loss per share was $0.08. "AMD delivered double-digit percentage sequential revenue growth in both of our segments in the third quarter," said Dr. Lisa Su, AMD president and CEO. "We continue to take targeted actions to improve long-term financial performance, build great products and simplify our business model. The formation of a joint venture of our back-end manufacturing assets is a significant step towards achieving these goals and strengthening our balance sheet."

Will go about as well as Mercedes and Chrysler, or Chrysler and Fiat or Chrysler and that holding group.

It can't be that bad.

When I was working at a plant that made ECUs for Chrysler, Chrysler was having a problem with huge voltage spikes in their electrical systems. Instead of fixing it, they required that the ECUs were redesigned to handle the voltage spikes.

So yeah... I will never, ever buy a Chrysler product ever.

My parents had a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron back in the day. Even back then they were junk.

The Ballast Resistor would overheat on long trips in the summer and we would have to stop and either swap it out for another.. then rinse and repeat later.

The suspension was crap and it always handled really strange.

The transmission always shifted very strange.

Before they finally got rid of it, the cruise control screwed up and whenever it was engaged it would just pull the gas pedal to the floor.

And I had a 1987 K-car in which the transmission leaked really bad if I parked on an incline the one way. I got the car when it had about 30k miles on it. During a cross country trip at right about 70k miles the engine self destructed.

So no, nothing can be as bad as a Chrysler.

bVtWal7.gif

23% gross margins suggest AMD is almost giving away CPU products. A $65 million write down of older APUs is 1M processors AMD couldn't sell.

It can't be that bad.

When I was working at a plant that made ECUs for Chrysler, Chrysler was having a problem with huge voltage spikes in their electrical systems. Instead of fixing it, they required that the ECUs were redesigned to handle the voltage spikes.

So yeah... I will never, ever buy a Chrysler product ever.

My parents had a 1978 Chrysler LeBaron back in the day. Even back then they were junk.

The Ballast Resistor would overheat on long trips in the summer and we would have to stop and either swap it out for another.. then rinse and repeat later.

The suspension was crap and it always handled really strange.

The transmission always shifted very strange.

Before they finally got rid of it, the cruise control screwed up and whenever it was engaged it would just pull the gas pedal to the floor.

And I had a 1987 K-car in which the transmission leaked really bad if I parked on an incline the one way. I got the car when it had about 30k miles on it. During a cross country trip at right about 70k miles the engine self destructed.

So no, nothing can be as bad as a Chrysler.

Was it owned by John Voight?

Looks like we have an answer as to how the x86 license could be retained if someone were to buy out AMD.

(Sell only 85% of AMD)

No one is buying AMD. This is a joint venture with Fujitsu for back end testing and assembly.

This is basically AMD selling their Penang and Suzhou operations to Fujitsu, right. Does this mean they plan on reducing their operations?

I think it's more "We're almost out of money and are doing everything possible to stall until Zen saves us", at this point.

If Zen doesn't sell, AMD is done.

When was the last time AMD actually turned a profit?

How do they keep saying all this bullshit with a straight face?

They are making a big deal out of selling a packaging plant to Fujitsu?:confused::confused:

Will go about as well as Mercedes and Chrysler, or Chrysler and Fiat or Chrysler and that holding group.

FCA is going very well so, I figure this joint venture will go well too since that is what you are insinuating. Now, with Mercedes, they bought Chrysler and then stripped them of everything good and produced poorer products intentionally. I was happy when Mercedes took a Hugh lose, they deserved it. :D

AMD is too small to fail I think ... just like Microsoft had an interest in protecting Apple from going under in the 90's, Intel has a vested interest in making sure that AMD stays alive (although I am sure they prefer a weak AMD to a strong one) ... without AMD the full force of anti trust scrutiny would be on them constantly (something I am sure they do not desire)

how many more years can they go before all the money is depleted?

Based on their current capital loan and last refi they got another 3-4 years of shit-tastic performance left. If they can cut their losses down or make a profit it will help lengthen that period.

Biggest problem is AMD's loans. AMD pays almost $180M in interest alone. Add in that they have a massive repayment due in 2019; AMD better start turning a profit ASAP. They need cash flow to get investors.

Being profitable won't pay the debt off immediately but it will at least allow AMD to restructure the debt in 2019. If they don't it could easily bankrupt the company.

Restructuring the crippling debt is the ONLY way for AMD to survive.

I think that is why you don't see buyouts or mergers with a large entity. Other tech companies see the writing on the wall and would rather wait 3 years to scavenge what is left from a bankruptcy court.

When was the last time AMD actually turned a profit?

I believe it was Q4 2013

AMD is too small to fail I think ... just like Microsoft had an interest in protecting Apple from going under in the 90's, Intel has a vested interest in making sure that AMD stays alive (although I am sure they prefer a weak AMD to a strong one) ... without AMD the full force of anti trust scrutiny would be on them constantly (something I am sure they do not desire)

I don't believe Intel gives a shit about AMD anymore and the Govt won't care either. Especially considering Intel is looking at foreign entities to now produce x86 CPU's. Intel was being very vocal about licensing x86 last year and I believe they made a deal with Spreadtrum.

All Intel needs to do to keep antitrust away is to show in good faith they would be willing to license the tech.

Plus it is not Intel's fault if AMD goes TU due to mismanagement. The Govt won't step in and force the largest CPU maker to get a competitor just cause. Intel would have to violate antitrust laws and even then the Govt probably won't do anything, ie: Monsanto, Sirius XM, Pearson, or Luxottica.

I don't believe Intel gives a shit about AMD anymore and the Govt won't care either. Especially considering Intel is looking at foreign entities to now produce x86 CPU's. Intel was being very vocal about licensing x86 last year and I believe they made a deal with Spreadtrum.

All Intel needs to do to keep antitrust away is to show in good faith they would be willing to license the tech.

Plus it is not Intel's fault if AMD goes TU due to mismanagement. The Govt won't step in and force the largest CPU maker to get a competitor just cause. Intel would have to violate antitrust laws and even then the Govt probably won't do anything, ie: Monsanto, Sirius XM, Pearson, or Luxottica.

Our government in the USA might not but the EU has been very activist ... they savaged Microsoft in the early 2000s ... now they have their sights on Google ... but they could easily turn on Intel ... AMD seems like a cat though ...they always seem to find another life and land on their feet (even if they are wobbly)

My biggest concern is support. How can AMD adequately support the drivers of their products long term?

That's the main thing holding me back from Fury at this point.

I'm not really an AMD fan, but I do want them to succeed and compete with Intel. I like competition to drive prices down.

Amazes me how someone can completely enjoy the idea of many thousands of people potentially losing their jobs. :rolleyes:

It's not my fault their business is failing. Simply discussing the facts does not mean I'm going to be driving by the unemployment line in Austin throwing eggs. You need to lay off the drama over video cards and find a new hobby. :rolleyes:

Amazes me how someone can completely enjoy the idea of many thousands of people potentially losing their jobs. :rolleyes:

Amazes me how people can want a company that continuously puts out lackluster products and lies to its customers to survive..............

The only reason why there was no stock before was because a bajillion people had to RMA their cards due to the noisy pumps. Now that they have RMA'ed the entire first batch they have stock again. By no means was the Fury X ever a good seller.

Funny because AMD fans touted the cards being "sold out" at retailers as proof positive that they were selling so well and in such high demand. Any suggestion that maybe the real reason was that Newegg & others had only received 3 cards, they would hear none of it.

Back