AMD Releases the Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.2.2 Drivers

erek

[H]F Junkie
And the Driver Wars continues! One right after another!

"Fixed Issues
  • Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • Improvements have been made that allow for more responsive fan ramp up or fan ramp down times on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report lower than expected clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products during gaming workloads.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
  • Metro Exodus may experience an application hang or TDR when choosing some specific dialogue prompts in the Sam's Story DLC.
  • Grand Theft Auto V may experience an application crash when invoking Radeon Software's overlay with third party OSD applications running.
  • Monster Hunter World : Iceborne may experience intermittent crashes while idle or on the character creation screen.
  • Some games colors may appear washed out when HDR mode has been enabled in game and Windows on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
  • After a Factory Reset installation with the 'Keep My Settings' option chosen, Instant Replay could fail to function if it was enabled in the previous Radeon Software installation.
  • When invoking Radeon Software's overlay while a game is open users may observe flickering in the game or in the Radeon Software interface.
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash and error message when locking Windows or performing a sleep or hibernate with the Radeon Software Streaming tab open.
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon Software may fail to launch if Radeon Software's overlay is disabled and a game is running in the background.
  • Battlefield V may experience an application hang or TDR after extended periods of play.
  • Some Origin games may fail to be detected or may detect the incorrect game title in Radeon Software.
  • Some productivity applications are being detected and listed in the Radeon Software games tab.
  • The Radeon Chill hotkey could sometimes continue to remain enabled once the user has removed or disabled the hotkey.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 may exhibit blocky textures on snow covered terrain.
  • After resuming from sleep, Chrome may experience an application crash if video content was previously playing on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Radeon FreeSync status in Radeon Software may sometimes fail to update when enabling or disabling the feature through the display itself.
  • Fortnite may experience an application crash on Radeon RX 500 series Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • DOOM may experience an intermittent system hang or application crash during gameplay.
  • Desktop cursor may intermittently remain visible after toggling Radeon Software's overlay in some games. A workaround is to bring up the game menu or task switch to refresh the cursor.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers benchmark.
  • The Gaming tab in Radeon Software may display some folder locations appearing as games.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent window size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Some games may experience stutter while using Instant Replay or third-party applications that stream or perform screen capture. A potential workaround is to disable these features or applications while gaming.
  • Although Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 resolves many black screen issues, AMD is aware that some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
Important Notes
This optional release of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition is targeted towards resolving recent important issues identified by our community. We will be closely monitoring feedback on the release, and encourage users to submit issues they encounter at www.amd.com/report."

https://www.techpowerup.com/264316/amd-releases-the-radeon-adrenalin-edition-20-2-2-drivers

I will have to ask the fella who bought my 5700XT how these work. I got tired of messing with it. Hope there is an improvement and that AMD narrows down the issues.

ill try these tonight. will know pretty quick if my black screen issues are fixed.

Reactions: erek
like this
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-gets-around-to-fixing-some-radeon-rx-5000-series-black-screen-issues/

There are two dozen bug fixes in all. The ones related to black screen bugs include the following:
  • Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
While AMD acknowledges that more work is needed, it also pointed to one specific scenario where a black screen issue exists, and is not fixed by the this driver release.

"Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround," AMD says

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-gets-around-to-fixing-some-radeon-rx-5000-series-black-screen-issues/

There are two dozen bug fixes in all. The ones related to black screen bugs include the following:
While AMD acknowledges that more work is needed, it also pointed to one specific scenario where a black screen issue exists, and is not fixed by the this driver release.

"Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround," AMD says

Eh they should just kill enhanced sync with fire anyway. Just use regular Vsync if you need sync and really couldn't afford a freesync montior. (enhanced sync is not freesync)

They have disabled in games they know its an issue in. I can't imagine this one effects many people with 5700 class hardware. I doubt there are many with a $400+ GPU that didn't pop for a freesync monitor.

Reactions: erek
like this
Good on them. I never had the black screen issue myself, but I recognize it's a pretty big deal and it's nice AMD is serious about fixing it.

I can see why now looks like the stuff they fixed was related to specific games not everyone plays... and HDR settings.

Ya glad AMD got it seems the vast majority of this fixed basically next patch.

Often, many problems can be resolved with a clean installation of our driver. In order to perform a clean installation, you must select the “Factory Reset” option at the beginning of the installation process. Once this is selected, old instances of the driver will be removed, and the uninstaller will restart your system before the new driver installation begins.

Please feel free to check out our online resource that goes through detailed steps on how to enable key features or address common issues with Radeon Software. If you’re still having problems and would like to reach out to our customer care team, you can contact them here.

— Warren Eng
( Product Marketing Manager for Radeon Software at AMD )

https://community.amd.com/community...est-amd-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-driver

Factory+Reset+Image.jpg

Last edited:
Eh they should just kill enhanced sync with fire anyway. Just use regular Vsync if you need sync and really couldn't afford a freesync montior. (enhanced sync is not freesync)

They have disabled in games they know its an issue in. I can't imagine this one effects many people with 5700 class hardware. I doubt there are many with a $400+ GPU that didn't pop for a freesync monitor.

It would be difficult to find a monitor that doesn't support FreeSync. For many people FreeSync isn't a solution for VSync due to stuttering or flickering. I have three FS monitors - with it enabled, two flicker unbearably despite settings and one exhibits some nice stutter every few seconds.

These newer drivers have been causing issues with my RX480 8GB card in games like Fallout 4. Lots of stuttering and lockups that don't happen in previous revisions before the Adrenaline drivers. I'll give these new ones a try and cross my fingers! I am keeping my eyes open for good deals on the 5x00 line as I know my 480 is getting long in the tooth.

These newer drivers have been causing issues with my RX480 8GB card in games like Fallout 4. Lots of stuttering and lockups that don't happen in previous revisions before the Adrenaline drivers. I'll give these new ones a try and cross my fingers! I am keeping my eyes open for good deals on the 5x00 line as I know my 480 is getting long in the tooth.
ddu then new. hopefully that'll sort it out.

ddu then new. hopefully that'll sort it out.

From PC World:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/353...card-problems-try-a-clean-driver-install.html

If you’re still running into troubles, well, you’re out of luck. Check your driver’s release notes to see if you’re encountering a known issue. If not, you can hop into forums to try and find help, or you can uninstall the problematic software and reinstall a previous driver version that you know worked. You can find Nvidia’s driver archives here.

radeon-drivers-previous-100834530-large.jpgBrad Chacos/IDG
Where to find older drivers for your Radeon graphics card.

AMD doesn’t maintain a central archive, but if you head to its driver page and search for your graphics card, you’ll get a list of the latest available drivers. Scroll past those, and at the very bottom of the new releases, you’ll see a tiny blue “Previous drivers” link, as shown above. Click that to summon past versions.

It seems to have fixed my black screen problems - haven't had one since :)
/did have a green screen earlier today... but it was in my crappy WebGL browser webgame that always wants 100% of my GPU's attention and crashs 3x times a day

This driver fixed my gpu locked at 300mhz issue. Everything was looking good then got a black screen 30 minutes into Outer Worlds. Looks like another rollback for me. Not having the best experience.

This driver fixed my gpu locked at 300mhz issue. Everything was looking good then got a black screen 30 minutes into Outer Worlds. Looks like another rollback for me. Not having the best experience.
did you do a full uninstall then ddu in safe mode before installing?

I like this as well and was using it when I got the black screen. This is what is frustrating me, I like the software and I want to use it.
are there no other firmware you could try on your card? does it have dual bios or what ever its called? at least see if there are other versions for your vendors makes

AMD wants to hear from Radeon owners who are having black screen issues

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/amd-wants-to-hear-from-radeon-owners-who-are-having-black-screen-issues/

"If you’re still experiencing any issues on your system, we kindly encourage you to submit a bug report so we can get to work on fixing them. Posting issues on Reddit and other community forums, although helpful, does not necessarily mean we’ll be able to spot your post or get enough information from it, so the best way to get issues resolved quickly would be to submit your report directly to us,"

AMD stated in a blog post.

There's a special website for submitting bug reports to AMD. It asks for the graphics card model and part number, driver version, and a few other bits of information. It also contains a whole bunch of check boxes for specific games and benchmarks that are triggering a black screen.

Back