AMD RDNA™ 2 "Hangar 21" Technology Demo [UPDATED]

whoa they released a demo??

giphy.gif

Yeah in my opinion, the more impressive effects fright now from RT are the shadow quality and the much more subtle coverage of ambient occlusion.

Yeah in my opinion, the more impressive effects fright now from RT are the shadow quality and the much more subtle coverage of ambient occlusion.
It's interesting you say that. Hardware Unboxed specifically called out, near the end of his 6800 and 6800XT videos (and probably the 30x0 reviews as well) that the substantial frame hit to enable RTX to get some better shadows was, in his opinion, not worth it.

It's interesting you say that. Hardware Unboxed specifically called out, near the end of his 6800 and 6800XT videos (and probably the 30x0 reviews as well) that the substantial frame hit to enable RTX to get some better shadows was, in his opinion, not worth it.
Well I didn't say its necessarily worth it. I was just saying that of the main effects shown so far (reflections, global illumination, shadows/ambient occlusion), I think that the subtle shadowing and ambient occlusion is the most meaningful.

Certainly, we have tons of shader and computer power nowadays. So those sort of high quality effects can be done in alternative ways. The Demon's Souls remake is a good example of this.

Would like to see that actual video and not the terribly compressed affair (maybe it is my computer but the image quality of the video around 1:57-1:59 is terrible around the main characther), but we seem to a point that would it not be from some issues/imperfection we would think it was not real time rendering.

The compression is so bad that it make it hard to judge.

That demo made me think I was watching the trailer for a future No Man's Sky update.

why is everything so shiny?! and was it just my eyes or is there pixilation all over it?

It's the ones that aren't obvious watching it. One day soon - middle of this console generation, I'd guess - it will be really common, and we'll go back and look at older games that don't have it and say "the lighting and shadows just seem... off."

It's the ones that aren't obvious watching it. One day soon - middle of this console generation, I'd guess - it will be really common, and we'll go back and look at older games that don't have it and say "the lighting and shadows just seem... off."
I'm fine with this day, as long as there is minimal performance hit. My monitor isn't going to high refresh itself.

Back