AMD Raven Ridge APU Support Arrives for Existing AM4 Motherboards via BIOS Updates

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Motherboard makers are starting to roll out BIOS updates for AMD’s Raven Ridge APUs, which are based on AMD's Zen architecture, combining up to 4 Zen-based CPU cores with integrated Vega graphics. ASUS is one of the first out the door with BIOS updates for models ranging from the Prime X370-PRO to ROG Strix X370-F Gaming.

AMD deserves kudos for not forcing users to upgrade their motherboards. Intel has taken the opposite approach with its Coffee Lake release, as even though Coffee Lake uses the same LGA 1151 socket as Kaby Lake, they require an upgrade to a Z370 chipset motherboard. To make matters even more frustrating, Intel has instructed motherboard makers not to support Kaby Lake CPUs in Z370 motherboards.

Supposedly ASUS jumped the gun on this release. None of the other board makers have released the updates because AMD won let them yet. I guess ASUS is too big for AMD to do anything about it.

Supposedly ASUS jumped the gun on this release. None of the other board makers have released the updates because AMD won let them yet. I guess ASUS is too big for AMD to do anything about it.

Asus screwed up by a few days? they're not too big or anything... screwup happens even with the largest and greatest companies.
they are large and thus even more reasons they will be able to screw up.

Raven Ridge will likely be the chip that finally gets me off my Sandy Bridge i5 and Windows 7. We'll see though I might hurl after trying to Switch to Win10 and go back to my Sandy Bridge system haha.

I'll take "Things Intel would never, ever do." for $600 please.

You mean Intel has never released a BIOS update to support a new CPU on current motherboards?

This is still Zen. You know, Zen1. Lets not act like AMD is some benevolent god giving you amazing gifts here by allowing it to run on current gen motherboards.

You AMD zealots truly do wear rose colored glasses. You all act like an Intel board never added support for a CPU that it didn't at launch. AMD supports a new CPU of the same architecture on still current motherboards and they're amazing, but by god if Intel doesn't let 486 motherboards support Icelake I'll raise hell!

Edit: To be clear, for years I was on several AMD cpu's starting with K6-2, then K6-3, a couple of Athlons, then Athlon64 before I went back to Intel with the i7-920 which was the clear way to go.

Last edited:
If you already have a Ryzen system, why would you swap it out for an APU?

How will the APU work with AM4 motherboards without video output? :sarcasm:

Wew lad, hilarious timing with the i9 new board rumours.

I guess Asus was forward thinking... I looked up the Prime X370-Pro motherboard on Microcenter's site, and it has HDMI and DP ports. I guess they knew APUs were coming someday

Back