AMD RAM kits. 16GB kit for $80. 8GB kit for $40

This stuff says it is compatible with AMD platforms... do you know what that means? HIGH DENSITY ram. I wouldn't buy it for $50 if it is HIGH DENSITY. There is a reason it is cheap people!

This stuff says it is compatible with AMD platforms... do you know what that means? HIGH DENSITY ram. I wouldn't buy it for $50 if it is HIGH DENSITY. There is a reason it is cheap people!

Care to explain your concern????? I have AMD FX systems and this ram will go into a Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 at work with an FX 8320.

Can you elaborate on why the density of the BGAs on these DIMMS matters? Something tells me it's not going to make a lick of difference for 9/10ths of the machines that people are dealing with, particularly since the only time I remember density being an issue was back in 2008 and earlier with DDR1...? :confused:

After doing a google search, I have no idea how high density ram causes issues in systems versus low density ram. Any possible issues were with new memory released years after the motherboard revision was for a particular model. The majority of the issues I found were for DDR memory!
I've used ram that has chips on both sides for 4gb sticks and 4gb ram modules with the chips only on one side. And what do you know, no difference. At all. Booted in every system I have tested it in (they are my two test kits of ram). You should be fine using either one, cas latency and voltage are more important to match on memory.

After doing a google search, I have no idea how high density ram causes issues in systems versus low density ram. Any possible issues were with new memory released years after the motherboard revision was for a particular model. The majority of the issues I found were for DDR memory!
I've used ram that has chips on both sides for 4gb sticks and 4gb ram modules with the chips only on one side. And what do you know, no difference. At all. Booted in every system I have tested it in (they are my two test kits of ram). You should be fine using either one, cas latency and voltage are more important to match on memory.

My understanding is that mixing them can cause problems. I'm not worried since I will only be running these 2 sticks.

I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this post.

I received my RAM I ordered yesterday. 1/24/15. Already a GREAT first impression.
So I installed it in my 3570k system and set everything to default and ran Aida 64.

The control here is my Mushkin kit.
Mushkin Blackline 997046. 8-8-8-24 1.5v 8GB kit.
Pretty good.
EmwFNuN.png

Next run is the 16GB kit I ordered. Factory settings
11-11-11-28 1.5v
Not bad!
ZbGkzRw.png

So I decided to change the timings. I got them to 9-9-9-28 1.5v DDR3 1600
OK so now I'm very excited.
mzoAGpR.jpg

Next one, I about called my mom I was so excited. I was tinkering with 1866 too, and I had no issues with that.
DDR3 2133. 11-11-11-28 1.65v
scWrYdp.jpg

While I was able to get to 2133 it seems stability is a problem. I will tinker a little more. So far great purchase!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this post.

I received my RAM I ordered yesterday. 1/24/15. Already a GREAT first impression

Very nice, thanks for reporting back on it. I'll have to keep an eyeball on the stock since it looks like it's decent stuff. :)

Very nice, thanks for reporting back on it. I'll have to keep an eyeball on the stock since it looks like it's decent stuff. :)

Fantastic THUMPer1! :D I just checked in my account and my second order was confirmed, YES! :) Having 32GB of ram in my work machine running multiple VM's will be great. Up from the 16GB I am running at this moment. Hummm...., I will have to see if the 1333 ram will overclock as well as your memory.

It's not stable at 2133. But I have it at 1866 10-10-10-28 1.6v. The 1333 should do 1600 easily.

It's not stable at 2133. But I have it at 1866 10-10-10-28 1.6v. The 1333 should do 1600 easily.
Straight timings typically aren't the best at higher speeds. Maybe try 11-13-13-31 and Command Rate 2.

About as worrisome as having to use only UNLEADED GASOLINE in my car...

1. Only a 15 day return policy
  2. Must open an account (cant checkout as a guest)
  3. Must give out credit card number (no PayPal or Visa checkout types accepted)
  4. Poor Reseller Rating

Maybe these things mean little to some folks but I'd rather buy from well known reputable online retailers where I can use PayPal and don't have to give my credit card number. Paying a little more for the security and piece of mind, as well as having the choice of many different types of RAM from a variety of manufacturers and knowing the place I bought it will give me excellent customer service if there's a problem is worth it, IMO.

1. Only a 15 day return policy
  2. Must open an account (cant checkout as a guest)
  3. Must give out credit card number (no PayPal or Visa checkout types accepted)
  4. Poor Reseller Rating

Maybe these things mean little to some folks but I'd rather buy from well known reputable online retailers where I can use PayPal and don't have to give my credit card number. Paying a little more for the security and piece of mind, as well as having the choice of many different types of RAM from a variety of manufacturers and knowing the place I bought it will give me excellent customer service if there's a problem is worth it, IMO.

Guest checkout was available when I ordered.

Do I need to create an account in order to purchase?

Yes. Right now, we are requiring all shoppers to create an account in order to complete a purchase. This is to help ensure that purchases made are valid and to help protect against fraud.

5th question from the top.

Their facebook post talked about "fraudulent" purchases. They had to figure out which ones were legit. I'm sure that was part of the issues with stock too.

Do I need to create an account in order to purchase?

Yes. Right now, we are requiring all shoppers to create an account in order to complete a purchase. This is to help ensure that purchases made are valid and to help protect against fraud.

5th question from the top.

Then I suppose their website "glitched" when I was able to make a purchase without making an account, right? :eek:

fiXVH9P.png

I just simply linked to what it states in their FAQ section on buying from Visiontek. There it states "we are requiring all shoppers to create an account in order to complete a purchase."

So rather than a "glitched" website, it seems their FAQ section is misleading or needs to be updated. In any regard, I prefer not to deal with small outfits like this. They could be gone tomorrow. Of course any online business can close up shop without notice but if I were a betting man, my money would be placed on small volume online retailers like Visiontek as being more likely to go under vs a retailer like Amazon.

And one more thing, how much revenue do you think companies like Visiontek are able to allocate to their network security? I'm not a hacker and I am not advocating for anyone to try anything illegal, but If I were a hacker I'd be setting my sights on a small company (like Vtek) before I'd try hacking a mega retailer like Amazon.

All I'm saying is when I look to buy from small online retailers and I see they don't use third party CC payment systems (which indicates they store customers CC info on their own servers) I take a pass even if their prices are tempting.

Last edited:
I just simply linked to what it states in their FAQ section on buying from Visiontek. There it states "we are requiring all shoppers to create an account in order to complete a purchase."

So rather than a "glitched" website, it seems their FAQ section is misleading or needs to be updated. In any regard, I prefer not to deal with small outfits like this. They could be gone tomorrow. Of course any online business can close up shop without notice but if I were a betting man, my money would be placed on small volume online retailers like Visiontek as being more likely to go under vs a retailer like Amazon.

And one more thing, how much revenue do you think companies like Visiontek are able to allocate to their network security? I'm not a hacker and I am not advocating for anyone to try anything illegal, but If I were a hacker I'd be setting my sights on a small company (like Vtek) before I'd try hacking a mega retailer like Amazon.

All I'm saying is when I look to buy from small online retailers and I see they don't use third party CC payment systems (which indicates they store customers CC info on their own servers) I take a pass even if their prices are tempting.

Visiontek is hardly a small outfit, check out their complete website and product line. Are you saying you never heard of Visiontek until just now? They have been selling computer hardware for quite a while now, longer than Amazon has been in business I believe.

I was getting excited until I saw the name Visiontek.
I absolutely refuse to buy anything with that name after getting 'stiffed' on service for a videocard fan replacement years ago.
Thing is...that card also had the words "life time warranty" associated with it.
Visiontek and Diamond...two companies I absolutely do not buy anything from.

I was getting excited until I saw the name Visiontek.
I absolutely refuse to buy anything with that name after getting 'stiffed' on service for a videocard fan replacement years ago.
Thing is...that card also had the words "life time warranty" associated with it.
Visiontek and Diamond...two companies I absolutely do not buy anything from.

I can vouch for the exact opposite experience with Visiontek RMAs. I've RMAed twice without an issue. The process was straightfoward, there was minimal paperwork to submit, and they shipped replacements within a week of receiving my return. One of those RMAs was a couple of weeks outside the warranty period. I asked if they'd be willing to replace the card outside of the warranty period, and they gave me the go ahead.

It's funny the amount of people here that have a bunch to say on something they have zero experience dealing with

It's funny the amount of people here that have a bunch to say on something they have zero experience dealing with

Typical though. All I can say is it took 1 day to get the RAM and it has exceeded my expectations. I would not hesitate to buy a 290/290x from Visiontek. I also have two of their Candyboards. Greatest little keyboards I have ever used.

I can vouch for the exact opposite experience with Visiontek RMAs. I've RMAed twice without an issue. The process was straightfoward, there was minimal paperwork to submit, and they shipped replacements within a week of receiving my return. One of those RMAs was a couple of weeks outside the warranty period. I asked if they'd be willing to replace the card outside of the warranty period, and they gave me the go ahead.

While I'm glad you had a good experience...mine was the exact opposite.
I'd purchased a card with "lifetime warranty" so I could be covered for anything.
I actually had the option of buying the same series of card cheaper, but chose to purchase their card at additional cost...strictly for the lifetime warranty.
During their transition and restructuring, one of the card's fans stopped working. The card itself still worked.
I called with the intent to send it in, because I did not want to void the warranty by messing with the fan housing and since the fans were not your typical shape not available in stores.
Imagine my disgust to hear "the new Visiontek does not honor any warranties of the 'old' Visiontek...lifetime or not.
Needless to say I was not happy.
Haven't bought anything from them since.
It's principal.

While I'm glad you had a good experience...mine was the exact opposite.
I'd purchased a card with "lifetime warranty" so I could be covered for anything.
I actually had the option of buying the same series of card cheaper, but chose to purchase their card at additional cost...strictly for the lifetime warranty.
During their transition and restructuring, one of the card's fans stopped working. The card itself still worked.
I called with the intent to send it in, because I did not want to void the warranty by messing with the fan housing and since the fans were not your typical shape not available in stores.
Imagine my disgust to hear "the new Visiontek does not honor any warranties of the 'old' Visiontek...lifetime or not.
Needless to say I was not happy.
Haven't bought anything from them since.
It's principal.

That stinks! How many years ago was this?

Edit: I did a quick search. It looks like they restructured 13 years ago. So, I'm assuming it was around that time period.

That stinks! How many years ago was this?

Edit: I did a quick search. It looks like they restructured 13 years ago. So, I'm assuming it was around that time period.

Actually it was an HD4850...so IMSMC...it was around 2008-2009.

Looks to be a good deal, but also a referendum on AMD's current financial woes. Looking more and more like a Fire Sale.

Hey I bit on 2x (16gb 1333 kits) shipping today, thanks op and we will see if they can do 1866 ;)

Well, I received the ram and it works. I had to manually set everything up because they accidently sent me one kit of 1333 and one kit of 1600. (Called but they said not to worry about it.) Seems to run fine with the 1600 kit timings all set up manually. :)

My 16gb kit of 1333 arrived today. Popped it right in and it's set to 1600 at stock voltage. It's doing what ram does.

My kits arrived yesterday. I'll be installing them tonight after work. Hopefully they'll work at the rated speed/timings/voltage out of the box.

I ordered a couple of the 1333 kits and received 1600 kits instead. They told me to keep them.

Back