AMD Radeon VII Video Card Review @ [H]

I'm ready to upgrade from my Pascal Titan X, and only just now did AMD catch up to its level of performance. Hopefully they will have something faster in the next gen?
I had a Titan X Pascal a little while ago in another machine. From what I'm seeing there are some gains with the Radeon VII, for example with Deus Ex heavily tweaked High settings (and with an OC) I can get 60fps+ with Radeon VII on 4K, while the Titan X Pascal was stuck around 50 - 55fps.

Granted, this was when the game came out, on a totally different computer, but it's at least one title where VII runs marginally better (and even a 10% boost is key when going from 55fps to 60fps). Far Cry also seems a little better, but I don't recall the exact numbers.

That said, in no way would this be worth upgrading to if you already have a Titan X Pascal. There are probably some gains but not enough to make it worth the trouble.

It would be interesting to retest with the new drivers with overclocking now active and see how good they actually did with that.

Does it still feel like there is "many times more" 5k volume out there? Nearly a month later and still all sold out or selling for well over MSRP. Yet plenty of RTX 2080s for MSRP. I remember HardOCP used to get on Nvidia and ATI for paper launching. Granted AMD did launch this, but if there is a very limited QTY it is closer to a paper launch than a real board release for consumers. I would have certainly expected the card to make MSRP by now. Feels like AMD is getting a pass on the Vii just showing up to the party with a six pack.
I know that a whole bunch more just went to channel.

That said, a "paper launch" and low inventory, or sold out inventories are very different things. However, I would have to agree with you somewhat. But the cards have been there to buy, just had to be quick on the trigger.

Even though it is an AMD card the market for "mid range" cards at $699 is pretty small to begin with. That AMD is not shipping them in very large quantities is a good decision on their part.
If you took a look at the [H] AMD forum: Radeon VII owner thread you would come to the same conclusion as Kyle did. There are no tens (or more) of people still waiting or wanting this card and can not get it.

If they shipped a total between 20000 and 30000 world wide already that would even surprise me.

I think it would be a stretch to call Radeon VII "mid range", even in quotes. I mean it is on par with 1080 Ti or 2080, so I would consider that higher end.

But, yeah, likely not huge volume for a $700 card, regardless of performance. Though, if the product is not in stock anywhere that surely is not helping sales, no?

I think it would be a stretch to call Radeon VII "mid range", even in quotes. I mean it is on par with 1080 Ti or 2080, so I would consider that higher end.

But, yeah, likely not huge volume for a $700 card, regardless of performance. Though, if the product is not in stock anywhere that surely is not helping sales, no?
At that point it's more the board partner's problem. AMD would see it as "all the VII chips we're making are being sold," which would be a positive. Sure, they could be selling more, but they may not necessarily sell more with a larger supply, and there's more danger of a large oversupply once people stop buying them (which would be a big problem for AMD).

There are no tens (or more) of people still waiting or wanting this card and can not get it.

...I'm still waiting (pre-ordered a Sapphire for 749€ two weeks ago) and I still want to buy one... but there is none in stock where I live...

...I'm still waiting (pre-ordered a Sapphire for 749€ two weeks ago) and I still want to buy one... but there is none in stock where I live...
I have seen the same thing but what seems to be odd if you look at the higher priced versions they happen to be in stock. Almost as if there counting on you to spend €800+ on the ones that are in stock and give up on the lower priced one you have ordered.

Back