AMD Radeon VII used pricing.

The Cobra

2[H]4U
Hi everyone, I was perusing ebay and saw that the Radeon VII (used) is going for crazy money...$800 and up. Anyone know why the pricing is that high? The 5700xt's are going for what you would figure...$300-$425.

Just curious, Thanks.

Simple its a card that's popular for content creation because the large memory size and it no longer in production but still good at the task. Will probably hold its value longer than it should because it really wasn't built with gaming in mind no matter what AMD says to spun that they had nothing to launch so they pushed it out.

I think it was a limited run, and is still better than the 5700 XT (especially for 4K gaming).

You can't find them new anymore, so they become a rare item. The 5700 XT is in abundance.

Hi everyone, I was perusing ebay and saw that the Radeon VII (used) is going for crazy money...$800 and up. Anyone know why the pricing is that high? The 5700xt's are going for what you would figure...$300-$425.

Just curious, Thanks.

Yeah, I looked on Ebay and all the working cards are costing more used than the $699 brand new price. That is just stupidly insane.

Just curious, Thanks.
psst. . . Mining
Radeon VII - Top coin today gives $2.47 a day, electrical cost of .1kw/hr $1.92 profit
2080 Ti - Top coin today $2.20, electrical cost of .1kw/hr $1.68 profit

May get worse if prices for Crypto continue to go up.

Edit: This is just a possibility as a note.

Last edited:
psst. . . Mining
Radeon VII - Top coin today gives $2.47 a day, electrical cost of .1kw/hr $1.92 profit
2080 Ti - Top coin today $2.20, electrical cost of .1kw/hr $1.68 profit

May get worse if prices for Crypto continue to go up.

Edit: This is just a possibility as a note.

Who mines on GPU today?

An RTX 2080 Ti has a rate of 55 MH/s
An Asic has a rate of +10 TH/s.

2018 has passed...wanna join 2020?

Who mines on GPU today?

People that mine things that don't have asics and they can still make money on? Granted, there isn't as much to be made as there was, but some cards can still pull a small profit. Whether it's worth it or not depends on many things, but people still mine.

Who mines on GPU today?

You wanna join some intelligence? :D

Not all coins can use ASICs, Not all coins are profitable on GPUs or ASICs -> Only CPU's. Wide list of options for mining. Some mine for fun, yep. Some mine for future prospects. Some mine because they just want to mine losing or earning money for whatever reason (like believing the end of fiat currency or some other wacky reason). Right now the highest earning GPU is, guess what Radeon VII. That can change overnight as well. The other factor is Crypto overall value is going up at this time making mining on an uptrend. Anyways if Radeon VII was so good at all these other vice mining, why did it go down to around $400 and now has skyrocketed once Crypto started to jump up? Could be the supply just ran out and the market overall still wants them. Really all speculation.

I
Yeah, I looked on Ebay and all the working cards are costing more used than the $699 brand new price. That is just stupidly insane.
It's not that insane, what are used 2080's going for? They are better for some professional work loads (especially memory hungry) and are typically within 5% of a 2080 in gaming. Of course it runs hot and loud too, but limited quantity and being really good at specific things means there is a niche of people that want to use it and are willing to pay for it @ those prices. That said I wouldn't buy a used card over MSRP unless it was completely out of stock and I had a really good reason to use that specific model/card.

A lot of information out there about the R7 and mining, looks very much to be why the prices are what they are.
It's apparently very good for the task.

As mining is making it's way back again maybe Big Navi will be the card to have for that and the R7 prices go down some.

I just started mining again on Friday. My 1080ti makes $1.68 a day, a 5700 non xt can make $2.40 a day. Radeon VII is a bit higher yet. I did the same thing. Always wanted a radeon VII but looked at used prices and said nope, looked at 1080ti, then picked up a 5700 with two games for $329 AR. I Am not ready to go full retard on mining again, but winter is coming and i like to get some ROI on the heat from GPUs

I caught the tail end of the Radeon VII availability band wagon back in February/March and snagged an XFX one @ $550 on Amazon and got a block for it for another $100 (with back plate). The block was a bit harder to find then I would have liked; it's an EK and while they were having a fire sale on them, it was only available on their store... so shipping from Europe. Took a couple of weeks to receive and shipping cost was more than I wanted to spend, but it was pretty much all I could get. There was nothing here in the US. So glad I just missed all the Pandemic mess, or I'd probably still be waiting to receive it :).

Card was well into fading in and out of stock back then, and I guess it is totally gone now.

For what do you need a Radeon VII? I would use the 5700 if you want to mine.
Vega Vii has way more profit over the 5700XT per day. HBM has lower latency compared to DDR6 and works great with Ethereum, a memory intensive algorithm. Still the 5700XT is second best.

Vega Vii has way more profit over the 5700XT per day. HBM has lower latency compared to DDR6 and works great with Ethereum, a memory intensive algorithm. Still the 5700XT is second best.
I think there is not much difference between the 5700 and the 5700XT when it comes to ETH mining. So if we use a 5700, which is $350 and which can mine with almost 60mh/s, I think it is not worth getting the Radeon VII, also because the cooler on it is not as good as the 5700 board partners coolers.

I think there is not much difference between the 5700 and the 5700XT when it comes to ETH mining. So if we use a 5700, which is $350 and which can mine with almost 60mh/s, I think it is not worth getting the Radeon VII, also because the cooler on it is not as good as the 5700 board partners coolers.
Since Radeon Vii are no longer made and the resale value went way up, hard to find, yes the 5700/5700XT is the way to go now. Those with Vii's mining are making some serious mining $ for now.

Last edited:
Had a radeon vii for a while, like anything vega it needs down-volted to have a bearable noise profile on the fans. The heatsink looks the part but that's about it, loud unless you start messing with voltages.

Had a radeon vii for a while, like anything vega it needs down-volted to have a bearable noise profile on the fans. The heatsink looks the part but that's about it, loud unless you start messing with voltages.
I'd recommend the washer mod. The big issue with the VII is that there isn't enough pressure from the HSF onto the die. I saw double digit temp decreases and much less fan ramping from spending the hour and change to go to the hardware store and complete the mod.

I'd recommend the washer mod. The big issue with the VII is that there isn't enough pressure from the HSF onto the die. I saw double digit temp decreases and much less fan ramping from spending the hour and change to go to the hardware store and complete the mod.

It's long gone now, just wating the next releases to see whats on offer.

Of course, a liquid block also helps a lot with that :)

I just started mining again on Friday. My 1080ti makes $1.68 a day, a 5700 non xt can make $2.40 a day. Radeon VII is a bit higher yet. I did the same thing. Always wanted a radeon VII but looked at used prices and said nope, looked at 1080ti, then picked up a 5700 with two games for $329 AR. I Am not ready to go full retard on mining again, but winter is coming and i like to get some ROI on the heat from GPUs

What are you mining that gets you those kind of returns? I have a 5700XT I want to start mining with and that is a lot more profit than any of the calculators have me for the currencies I checked.

What are you mining that gets you those kind of returns? I have a 5700XT I want to start mining with and that is a lot more profit than any of the calculators have me for the currencies I checked.

ETH probably. You have to tweak your card to get those kind of results. I can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 51 MH/s, but I'm only running at ~100W. If I tweaked the memory more and gave it more power, I'd bet I could see 60 MH/s easy.

My Radeon VII got around 100 MH/s at ~200W for comparison.

ETH probably. You have to tweak your card to get those kind of results. I can get somewhere in the neighborhood of 51 MH/s, but I'm only running at ~100W. If I tweaked the memory more and gave it more power, I'd bet I could see 60 MH/s easy.

My Radeon VII got around 100 MH/s at ~200W for comparison.

The calculations I’ve been doing were for ETH and I have some of the cheapest power in the US! Guess I’ve got a lot of learning about tweaking for maximum efficiency! Thanks.

The Vii was getting over $5/day, short period when ETH was high but since has dropped significantly. That is like it is with mining, it may look good and then be totally pointless. If the higher prices have been maintained more and more people would get involved pushing up the mining difficulty factor to solve the mining problem for transaction verification, causing your profits to also go down. If the market has a total extended upswing, graphics cards run out -> much higher prices, no used cards or laughable prices, new cards out of stock -> hold on, you can make some serious money. That is if you cash out before the next crash.

I am just using the nicehash client on auto settings. A week ago, my 5700s were making $6 a day each, now im making $1.52. I dropped core clock speeds, client shows 115watt draw

I am just using the nicehash client on auto settings. A week ago, my 5700s were making $6 a day each, now im making $1.52. I dropped core clock speeds, client shows 115watt draw
Yep, ripped apart my old mining rig and removed the Z270 Asrock Intel motherboard with 6700K and 3200mhz ram out of a case, I am going to use that case for the 3900x system and put the Intel stuff on the mining rig case, pulled the Vega 64 LC out of the closet , , , bla bla bla, working great and now mining is almost pointless. Daisey chaining cases is fun, not. Anyways if you are in it for the money, cash out as you mine when it is high. When mining value is low but still profitable can be a good time to get more coins per hashrate since others will stop mining reducing the difficulty, transfer to like coinbase and either hold them or convert them to another coin they offer. Anyways I made a few thousands dollars doing just that when Bitcoin spike at $14,000.

Anyways the Vega Vii right now on Ebay is ridiculously priced, higher than 2080 Ti's even.

Yup, Eth had a huge increase due to very high transaction fees, it has since dropped back down. Very up/down at the moment.

I had such high hopes for the 7, and was in the market for a new card when it launched.
For my use, it was a bit disappointing.

I had such high hopes for the 7, and was in the market for a new card when it launched.
For my use, it was a bit disappointing.

It's another example of amd being unable to make a stock cooler worth a damn, 3 fans, a vapor chamber and still sounded like a genocidal hoover. It's a nice looking card for sure, though i'm unsure why amd decided to choke the airflow at the top with the radeon logo closing off a fair chunk of space that could have been used to let the card breath more.

Could have done this vs what they went with, though overall it might only have had a small change on temps.

VqRZ5D6.jpg

It's another example of amd being unable to make a stock cooler worth a damn, 3 fans, a vapor chamber and still sounded like a genocidal hoover. It's a nice looking card for sure, though i'm unsure why amd decided to choke the airflow at the top with the radeon logo closing off a fair chunk of space that could have been used to let the card breath more.

Could have done this vs what they went with, though overall it might only have had a small change on temps.

View attachment 277637
Very stupid design which made more air come out the bottom due to the restriction on top, heated air, which then gets sucked backed into the cooler. AMD has designed some good cooling cards, Nano, Vega 64 LC and a few others. Then they put out crap coolers, more times than not.

Back