AMD Radeon VII Unboxing and Teardown Video

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Feb 4, 2019.

1. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

I have zero problems with it, I am seriously not sure what happened in your case, but that is untypical from anything I have heard from anyone's system I installed them on, then again,

I did use it on a Laptop, and oh man was that a nightmare, I had to reseat the heatpipe at least 4 times to get a uniform seal and pressure(for reference it was a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming 7700hq with a 1050ti mobile), but afterwards ran like gravy keeping the laptop pretty cool and it held out a lot longer on hitting max temps when it did well its a laptop there is no amount of Voodoo to help the anemic cooling system.

As near as I can tell you probably had a seating issue, I had an issue getting it on an Ivy Bridge 3750 properly and I had to reseat it, also my NZXT AIO is doing just fine with the 1700x OC using one. I almost wonder what was going on in your case.

2. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

That would make sense to me.

Darth Kyrie and alxlwson like this.
  3. FrgMstr

Test fit with paste.

IMG_20190204_103918.jpg IMG_20190204_105213.jpg IMG_20190204_105202.jpg

noko, Darth Kyrie, alxlwson and 9 others like this.
  4. fullvietFX

fullvietFX [H]ard|Gawd

This makes me horny. Welcome back AMD.

GSDragoon and Jim Kim like this.
  5. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Great teardown Kyle! The best unboxing video I've seen on the net.

I'm not sure what overclocking tool you use but can you tell us if the fans are adjustable?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. Vaulter98c

Vaulter98c [H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009

OOOOOO fuck i hope the NDA is up before release date, I'm in a perfect position to waste 700 right now but I have to waste it this week lol

God shit man, always love the [H] TV spots yall do

7. chaos4u

chaos4u Limp Gawd

I hope in the review there is an attempt to put the 16 gb of ram to use.

8. coynatha

coynatha Limp Gawd

So does anyone think this card is going to get some sort of "hybrid" gaming/workstation driver? It seems the perfect candidate if it were to ever happen. It'd be real nice to have ONE rig for both Frag & CAD.

9. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

NDA is likely up on launch day. In his video Steve from Gamer's Nexus said something like (I don't feel like going through the video again to find the exact quote) "The card is out on the 7th so you can probably figure out when the NDA is up"

10. FrgMstr

Yep, card will be for sale on the 7th.

Darth Kyrie and TangledThornz like this.
  11. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

Aarrrrr there it is again :inpain:
    I know it is not much to look at for most people, but also it cant be much to have all 3 of those center ALU things on the fans centered.
    Looking forward to see some numbers, even if this are pretty much off the table in regard to my pending upgrade of GFX.

12. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

The unboxing part was riveting. Cutting, cutting,cutting!! Will he stop? Not on your life! The cardboard was so rigid yet supple. The steel of the blade was unrelenting.

Darth Kyrie and chaos4u like this.
  13. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Another vid (hardware unboxed) is claiming the shroud is plastic, looks aluminium to me? :unsure:

14. FrgMstr

All back together. No parts left over...this time. ;)

IMG_20190204_125347.jpg

15. FrgMstr

Brent is working tirelessly on all the gameplay testing. Getting ready to put this into a realworld box here, my own system replacing the RTX 2080, and see how she runs.

16. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

I agree, either aluminum with a protective coating or plated plastic, with a protective coating.

17. FrgMstr

Shroud sounds very much like plastic to me.

Maddness and Nobu like this.
  18. Chris_B

They haven't claimed they're losing money on it, that whole story was through a "source" so in all likelihood clickbait. As for the shroud, it does have those really shiny edges to it, almost looks like milled aluminium at the edges.

19. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Ah, yeah, the inq says AMD "debunked" the story. Hadn't heard anything else about it, you'd think someone would've picked up the story.

20. Chris_B

Hard to say really, so much bs gets thrown around before a new gpu release that legit stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

21. THUMPer

THUMPer 2[H]4U

Anyone see JayZ cry in his unboxing?

22. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Laptops can be tricky, it has to be perfectly seated correctly otherwise it doesn't work and I needed to reseat mine a few times before I got it right.

23. gtrguy

gtrguy Limp Gawd

Seriously?? So glad I don't watch his crap.

24. Fixall

Fixall [H]ard|Gawd

Thiago I take it?

25. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

So what's the story about the Vega VII die inside the acrylic stand? Are those defective dies that didnt pass QC?

26. Chris_B

They done that with a few gpu's, the dual gpu Fiji (radeon pro duo) came with one for everyone in the retail packaging, though not in acrylic. Seems to be a manly reviewer only thing so presumably theyre dummy or failed cores.

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  27. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

Most likely burn in failures or they had a batch that had assembly problems.

SPARTAN VI likes this.
  28. FrgMstr

The fact is that no matter who is making what CPU and GPU, there are plenty of failed parts or parts destroyed during testing, so them or any other company, putting those in there is at no real cost. Might as well use those for marketing.

noko, Darth Kyrie, GSDragoon and 3 others like this.
  29. Chris_B

Just noticed hardware unboxed updated their vid with a comment saying the shroud is aluminium, would hope it is given the aesthetic they are going for. Vega le had one and was a cheaper card, this is more expensive but uses less material for the shroud considering the 3 fan holes.

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  30. legcramp

legcramp [H]ardForum Junkie

Looks cool, they need to bring back the AMD chick on the shroud though, would pay $1200 if they do.

card1b.jpg

Vaulter98c and jmilcher like this.
  31. Chris_B

Bringing Ruby back would just give feminazi's something else to bitch about. :D:p

32. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

First, I'm not a some sort of ninja expert, but why would she rest the SHARP EDGE of that blade against her fingers?

Yes, that is the first thing I noticed. ;)

33. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

It's actually just on the back of her armor, lack of depth makes it look that way.

Darth Kyrie and dvsman like this.
  34. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

please dont take this the wrong way but I would have enjoyed the video even more if you just tore it the fuck apart.

"here you see these stupid tiny weird phillips screws, were just gonna pry those bitches off"
    "amd made an interesting choice here making it difficult to unlock the fan cables so you know what fuck this shroud altogether" *tears in half*

Then when the benchmarks show it barely beating a gtx1080 you just shoot it with a .38 because it doesnt deserve a larger caliber.

(im kidding I really do hope it atleast gets close to rtx2080ti)

Krenum likes this.
  35. Darth Kyrie

Darth Kyrie n00b

The answer is in this article here on [H].

HardOCP: Does Radeon VII support the HDMI 2.1 specifications fully in hardware? Anything new in terms of FreeSync 2 / VRR that our readers need to know about? Will we see support launched with Radeon Software Adrenalin on February 7th? Is there anything new that HDMI 2.1 will bring to Radeon VII owners (4k 144hz FreeSync 2 w/ hdr)? If not, can AMD release a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.1 adapter for use with those LG OLEDs this year?

Scott Herkelman: The Vega and Vega II family, including Radeon VII, natively supports HDMI 2.0 in hardware. We are looking at options for external DP to HDMI 2.1 translators, but have nothing to announce at this time.

36. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

was that a copper heat sinc....it looked more brass, copper coated aluminum maybe.
    Can't wait for the test!!

proper tool kit?
    hell all kyle needs is a hammer and duct tape..good as new :)

WHO let him have that sharp thing at the beginning.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. Warrior

Warrior [H]ardForum Junkie

Just posting to say what a great review this was. I enjoy your un-biased reviews. Day-one reviews are always the worst. I'm glad you had proper time to get a better review, and the effort you put in with AMD to make it the best experience. You understand launches are hard, but in the end wanted a proper review for the future consumer as well. Thanks.

FrgMstr likes this.
Tags: