AMD Radeon Technology Will Be Available on Google Cloud Platform in 2017

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD Radeon Technology Will Be Available on Google Cloud Platform in 2017.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...-on-google-cloud-platform-in-2017-2176006.htm

SALT LAKE CITY, UT--(Marketwired - Nov 15, 2016) - At SC16, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) announced that Radeon™ GPU technology will be available to Google Cloud Platform users worldwide. Starting in 2017, Google will use AMD's fastest available single-precision dual GPU compute accelerators, Radeon-based AMD FirePro™ S9300 x2 Server GPUs, to help accelerate Google Compute Engine and Google Cloud Machine Learning services.(1) AMD FirePro S9300 x2 GPUs can handle highly parallel calculations, including complex medical and financial simulations, seismic and subsurface exploration, machine learning, video rendering and transcoding, and scientific analysis. Google Cloud Platform will make the AMD GPU resources available for all their users around the world.

Article is a lot longer. :)

Google Blog.
https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/11/announcing-GPUs-for-Google-Cloud-Platform.html

Last edited:
So they start rolling out Fiji based cards sometime in 2017. Make you wonder about Vega.

I like how AMD press uses march numbers to avoid Pascal ;)

This is probably more related to GCN ability to runs multiple threads vice just number crunching a limited scenario. Fiji winning out over Pascal and also being limited to 4gb per gpu is not something to pass up but to me indicates a weakness on Nvidia's hardware. Unless AMD are giving these away to Google. Now is AMD still producing Fiji chips? Also where is Vega indeed?! With integrated SSD and HSA? That is really the cats meow if it will ever exist.

I think they are using Fiji because

1: They have plenty of chips
2: It is a proven platform, no bug testing required
3: Dual Fiji cards exist and are surprisingly efficient for the memory-intensive performance they offer
4: Vega will only just start to eek out to the consumer level in the timeframe Google want's these machines up and running.

Wonder the size of this venture. Also gonna be interesting to see what comes of this.

So they start rolling out Fiji based cards sometime in 2017. Make you wonder about Vega.

I like how AMD press uses march numbers to avoid Pascal ;)

Google would be concerned if this was gaming. AMD cards aren't bad when it comes to machine learning and crunching numbers.

It sounds more like the AMD cards are being used for display rather than number crunching.
https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2016/11/announcing-GPUs-for-Google-Cloud-Platform.html
Maybe I'm reading "remote workstation" wrong. Maybe the AMD cards are just not being used for AI/deep learning workloads. Either way, good for AMD.
No way. Dual fury x just for display? I highly highly doubt it. Their advantage is their power in crunching numbers. They can compete there. I am sure google is getting a better price here as well.

Well, google would probably have a large number of clients off one card if it were display only. Again, I'm reading into the wording and could be wrong.

Display they would properbly suck due to VRAM limitation unless its a single user. So it needs to be some heavy users.

Google uses NVidia as well. For big data workloads everyone uses Xeon Phi anyway.

Google Cloud will offer AMD FirePro S9300 x2 that supports powerful, GPU-based remote workstations. We'll also offer NVIDIA® Tesla® P100 and K80 GPUs for deep learning, AI and HPC applications that require powerful computation and analysis. GPUs are offered in passthrough mode to provide bare metal performance. Up to 8 GPU dies can be attached per VM instance including custom machine types.

It seems its not for AI and HPC either. But simply a remote desktop/remote renderer? Not that big of a thing anyway then. But still, where is Vega?

Last edited:
gpus.png

Wow that's a lot of port options for a compute device.

Well whatever we think here, the market seems to have decided to take advantage to push AMD to the highest stock price in 5 years. It will probably go down but those of you holding AMD, congrats.

Well whatever we think here, the market seems to have decided to take advantage to push AMD to the highest stock price in 5 years. It will probably go down but those of you holding AMD, congrats.

Its called robot trading. Nvidia is up, so must AMD ;)

It all began after Nvidias blowout.

Back