AMD Radeon Super Resolution is FSR but for all games

For the record, folks complaining that Nvidia Image Scaling is too sharp / over sharp, you can adjust the sharpness in the driver panel (and GeForce Experience, IIRC). The default is 50%, but 30-40% looks better to my eye. It's still lipstick on a pig, so I'll pass on using this. I'd rather turn down other settings than use FSR/NIS.

So I've developed a new scaling algorithm, which I released under MIT license. You can see the technology deep dive in this video.

The video is rather long and if you're not interested in the technical details, you can just download my Decay graphics demo and test it for yourself.

https://cybereality.itch.io/decay-a-real-time-experience

The source code is available here and free open source MIT license.

https://github.com/cybereality/godot-super-scaling

That's awesome!

Did you experiment with different AA settings to see how it affects the clarity?

For the record, folks complaining that Nvidia Image Scaling is too sharp / over sharp, you can adjust the sharpness in the driver panel (and GeForce Experience, IIRC). The default is 50%, but 30-40% looks better to my eye. It's still lipstick on a pig, so I'll pass on using this. I'd rather turn down other settings than use FSR/NIS.
That doesn't matter. Even with Sharpness at zero, it gets allot of ringing artifacts. It's the nature of the method used and nVidia doesn't try to resolve it like AMD did with FSR.

That doesn't matter. Even with Sharpness at zero, it gets allot of ringing artifacts. It's the nature of the method used and nVidia doesn't try to resolve it like AMD did with FSR.

The cool thing is that FSR can be used on all GPU's, even Nvidia ones. It may not be in the Nvidia drivers, but there are tools that allow you to apply it, like the "Lossless Scaling Tool" on Steam that allows for FSR and another scaling modes in any title that can render in a borderless window mode.

It works well, but it broke FreeSync for me, which is the only reason I don't use it.

That's awesome!

Did you experiment with different AA settings to see how it affects the clarity?

Actually, this went through several revisions before I landed on this solution. The whole thing was done in about 2 weeks while I was still working on the demo.

Originally it was only super sampling anti-aliasing, which is still in there, but ended up being too blurry by itself and also tanked performance when increasing resolution scaling too high.

I experimented with Lanczos, and had something sort of working, but it didn't have the quality I wanted and would have needed a sharpening pass like FSR does, but the code just got too complex and I didn't like it.

I also considered just porting FSR, since that is open source, but I read through the code and it is extremely complicated and long. It also uses features that require Vulkan/DirectX12 and I'm working in OpenGL so it would have made porting difficult. So I abandoned that idea.

Finally I discovered a method called directional averaging, which is fairly straight-forward and not complex. The idea is that instead of sampling in a fixed manner (for example, just grabbing the 4 nearest pixels) you scan the image and look for patterns in the diagonals.

So here I am sampling in a sort of star/cross kind of pattern (9 taps) which computes the color difference of each pair of pixels, and then finds the most relevant 2 pixels to blend (based on the pixels that are most visible in color and also closest in color so they likely come from the same object).

This actually works well, but results in a somewhat pixelated image (though still much better than nearest neighbor or bilinear interpolation). So to fix this I add a super sampling pass, which runs at any resolution (it helps above or below native).

The super sampling takes 4 taps, but in a rotated box formation, so the pixels do not coincide, which gives better results than standard sampling (which may just pick the 4 closest pixels).

I have sliders so you can blend between the upscaling and the super sampling, which allows you to tweak how sharp or soft the image is, though in my experiments, just leaving it at 50% almost always gives the best result.

Last edited:
Also, in terms of anti-aliasing I suggest enabling 4x MSAA and also FXAA. Because I am not filtering the raw image (it needs to be unfiltered for the algorithm to function) the result is rather pixelated, even more so than traditional scaling.

So you basically need to use AA on top. 4x MSAA gives the best results, and above that there is not much difference. But FXAA also helps, so I have that enabled too. And with my SSAA at 50%, that adds the final bit of smoothness.

Ok this should be interesting. No mention if it was open source this time around although he did say it works on the competitors hardware.

Not showing up on my laptop. Why doesn’t AMD care about that market anyway?

FWIW I have an Asus G513QY AE.

Because the Laptop OEM’s have too many liberties in their hardware implementations. They cheap out in a number of ways that you will never notice but makes any optional software implementations so hit and miss that they just don’t offer it because they would have to break down their supported list by vendor and model number.

If the motion vector used are quite similar among the big 3 and I imagine supported in the PS5-AMD, that could become quite always there on release of big AAA title I imagine.

Radeon Image Sharpening launched the same way. It will likely trickle down with future driver release's. There is no reason this can't be made available to every currently supported generation that can use regular FSR.

There is a problem with RSR, it does not work well with Wide Screen monitors, because it uses recommended monitor resolution, and to work the height and width must be different to start upscale.
In my situation, my monitor is with 2560x1080 and the upscale do not work because it must upscale from 1920x1080 but it cannot because x1080 match.
When I lower the resolution it works and the FPS boost is significant, but I do not like the quality.
(I test it in Rise of the Tomb Rider)

There is a problem with RSR, it does not work well with Wide Screen monitors, because it uses recommended monitor resolution, and to work the height and width must be different to start upscale.
In my situation, my monitor is with 2560x1080 and the upscale do not work because it must upscale from 1920x1080 but it cannot because x1080 match.
When I lower the resolution it works and the FPS boost is significant, but I do not like the quality.
(I test it in Rise of the Tomb Rider)
You would need to create custom resolutions if lower aspect ratio correct ones are not showing up for you. I have a 32:9 monitor, I created a custom 3200x900 so I could upscale to my monitors native 3840x1080 for instance :)

If you wanted to upscale from 900p and stay aspect ratio correct for 21:9, you would want to create a custom resolution of 2133x900.

Last edited:
Considering RSR is baked into the drivers, I wouldn't think so. But version 2.0 of FSR is still open source.

Doesn't look like the repository has been updated, yet.
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR
Replying to my own post because I glossed over the fact that FSR 2.0 will not be available until quarter 2 of the calendar year. So could be a couple weeks to a few months.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap.../amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.3.1 Highlights​

Support For​

• Radeon™ Super Resolution (RSR) Technology – RSRGD-197 is an in-driver spatial upscaling feature that is built on the same algorithm as AMD FidelityFX™ Super ResolutionGD-187 technology. It delivers near-native resolution and increased performance across thousands of games that run in exclusive full screen mode on AMD RDNA-based and newer discrete graphics.
same thing?
edit: nope not quite
https://pcper.com/2022/03/amd-radeon-spring-2022-update-rsr-fsr-2-0/

edit2: played RDR2 with it on for a bit. characters and environment looks good but shadows and hair go goofy and grainy. used 1440 to 4k, worked the hell out of my card and will prob just stick to 1440p for that....

Last edited:

AMD Advantage edition? I just clicked the button last night to check for new drivers, downloaded and installed. It's not a "recommended" update, it's "optional".

You can also download direct from AMD.

Sorry, not the update, the RSR option in drivers. Apparently it will be enabled on a future driver update.

Sorry, not the update, the RSR option in drivers. Apparently it will be enabled on a future driver update.
if you can install the "generic" amd drivers and dont need "oem" ones, yesterdays release includes it. oh and its 5000/6000 gpus only.

if you can install the "generic" amd drivers and dont need "oem" ones, yesterdays release includes it. oh and its 5000/6000 gpus only.
I am using the generic one. RSR is not showing up on laptops with Vega integrated graphics. Even though mine has RX6800 gpu, the cpus RX Vega graphics keeps it from showing up. AMD apparently says it will be enable for these setups later.

I am using the generic one. RSR is not showing up on laptops with Vega integrated graphics. Even though mine has RX6800 gpu, the cpus RX Vega graphics keeps it from showing up. AMD apparently says it will be enable for these setups later.
You're right - no setting for Radeon Super Resolution on the laptop.

Well, I installed 2022.3.1 in order to get this RSR feature, and I am finding that once again, I have to re-establish all of my overclocking settings.

This seems like a recurring issue with current gen AMD GPU's.

With my previous Nvidia GPU's I went for max overclock when I first got them, and those same settings were usable across the life of the GPU.

With this 6900xt, the settings vary greatly from driver release to driver release. This particular driver release is the biggest change yet.

I noticed the GPU was running hotter than it was before. I also noticed that I can now undervolt, whereas in previous driver releases any undervolting resulted in a crash when loaded up. The higher temps cause more thermal throttling than before, resulting in lower performance, but undervolting helps bring some of that back. Still, in the previous release drivers I was up to a TimeSpy graphics score of over 23400, but now I am down to 22989, which is a regression for me.

I'ts going to be REALLY annoying if I have to spend several hours re-establishing optimum settings every single time I update drivers....

Well, I installed 2022.3.1 in order to get this RSR feature, and I am finding that once again, I have to re-establish all of my overclocking settings.

This seems like a recurring issue with current gen AMD GPU's.

With my previous Nvidia GPU's I went for max overclock when I first got them, and those same settings were usable across the life of the GPU.

With this 6900xt, the settings vary greatly from driver release to driver release. This particular driver release is the biggest change yet.

I noticed the GPU was running hotter than it was before. I also noticed that I can now undervolt, whereas in previous driver releases any undervolting resulted in a crash when loaded up. The higher temps cause more thermal throttling than before, resulting in lower performance, but undervolting helps bring some of that back. Still, in the previous release drivers I was up to a TimeSpy graphics score of over 23400, but now I am down to 22989, which is a regression for me.

I'ts going to be REALLY annoying if I have to spend several hours re-establishing optimum settings every single time I update drivers....
my 5700 has also lost performance with the recent drivers. i skipped all drivers between 21.11.3 and 22.2.3 as they were causing hdr playback issues for me and with the new 22.3.1 i cant OC as high and lost ~500 points in timespy too.

Hope they get around to putting this in for vega sooner rather than later. I have a dGPU but typically use integrated for older games that I play on my laptop. I've used the DLDSR on my desktop and it has been pretty damn good.

my 5700 has also lost performance with the recent drivers. i skipped all drivers between 21.11.3 and 22.2.3 as they were causing hdr playback issues for me and with the new 22.3.1 i cant OC as high and lost ~500 points in timespy too.

Pardon me for liking it, but it is good to know it isn't just me.

Prior to this 6900xt, I haven't had an AMD GPU since my 7970 like 10 years ago, so I am relearning the AMD way, but is it really normal to have to completely change all of your overclock settings every time you upgrade drivers with current AMD GPU's?

Pardon me for liking it, but it is good to know it isn't just me.

Prior to this 6900xt, I haven't had an AMD GPU since my 7970 like 10 years ago, so I am relearning the AMD way, but is it really normal to have to completely change all of your overclock settings every time you upgrade drivers with current AMD GPU's?
for oc settings it depends on what youre OCing with, i think. i use afterburner and after a reboot it all kicks back in. if using the radeon software to OC, then yeah, it probably turfs it all.
as far as loosing performance/how high of an oc it can do, this is the first time it decreased on me.

for oc settings it depends on what youre OCing with, i think. i use afterburner and after a reboot it all kicks back in. if using the radeon software to OC, then yeah, it probably turfs it all.
as far as loosing performance/how high of an oc it can do, this is the first time it decreased on me.

I'm not talking about the settings being cleared. They are, but that is easy to fix. I just screenshot them (or write them down) It takes literally 15 seconds to re-enter them again. No biggie.

The issue I am having is that with every driver update, the same settings are no longer stable. I have to change them and tweak them, essentially having to overclock again from scratch, and find new optimal settings. I've only upgraded drivers two times thus far, but each time, as soon as I upgrade the drivers, and re-enter the same settings I had before the driver upgrade, they are no longer stable, and I have to go back and re-tweak clock and voltage settings from scratch.

I'm not talking about the settings being cleared. They are, but that is easy to fix. I just screenshot them (or write them down) It takes literally 15 seconds to re-enter them again. No biggie.

The issue I am having is that with every driver update, the same settings are no longer stable. I have to change them and tweak them, essentially having to overclock again from scratch, and find new optimal settings. I've only upgraded drivers two times thus far, but each time, as soon as I upgrade the drivers, and re-enter the same settings I had before the driver upgrade, they are no longer stable, and I have to go back and re-tweak clock and voltage settings from scratch.
ok. thats what my second line was addressing though. this update was the first time i lost performance/oc speeds, had to drop from 2000/1800 to 1975/1800. i dont think its a typical thing at least not for me. they might fix it if enough people experience it.

on the RSR thing, anyone else get/see odd light shadows and hair, like there a black graininess them? ive still only tried rdr2 with it though as everything else im playing at the moment doesn need it.

Back