AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.2

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.6.2 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. According to AMD, these drivers offer support for the new Radeon RX 480, Radeon WattMan, AMD Crossfire Toggle, HDMI Scaling, and a Crossfire profile for World of Tanks. Here's a list of known issues as well as resolved issues:

Fixed Issues
  • Flickering may be observed in AMD Crossfire mode configurations while playing Hitman™ in select gameplay missions.
  • Flickering may be observed in AMD Crossfire mode configurations while playing Heroes of the Storm™.
  • Intermittent or minor white flashing may occur on some web browsers when using Netflix™ and hovering over the UI or icons.
  • Minor stuttering may occur in AMD Crossfire mode configurations when playing Elite Dangerous™.
  • Flickering may be observed in AMD Crossfire mode configurations while using the inventory and character pages in The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt.
  • Flickering may be observed in AMD Crossfire mode configurations during the battle and tutorial loading screens in Star Wars™ Battlefront.

Known Issues
  • A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
  • Radeon Pro Duo may experience a black screen in Total War™: Warhammer with the games API set to DirectX®12 and V-Sync enabled.
  • DiRT™ Rally may experience flickering terrain in some races when the advanced blending option is enabled in the games settings page.
  • Some Overdrive settings may not appear in Radeon Settings for Radeon Fury X when in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Display may exhibit a minor flicker on Radeon RX 480 when Freesync is enabled on a games launch or exit.
  • Dota™2 may crash when using the Vulkan™ API and the user changes resolutions or quality settings.
  • Battlefield™ 4 may experience crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
  • Need for Speed™ may experience flickering on some light sources in AMD Crossfire mode.
  • Hitman™ may experience graphical corruption when the game is set to use DirectX®12 API and using zoom with weapons.
  • Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.
  • Radeon Wattman may retain settings of an overclock after it has failed. If you have failed an overclock with a system hang or reboot make sure to use the "Reset" option in the Radeon WattMan settings page when the system has rebooted.
  • Low frame rate or stutter may be experienced Wolfenstein®: The Old Blood™ on Radeon™ RX 480.
  • Assassin's Creed® Syndicate may experience a game crash or hang when in game settings are set to high or greater.
  • Disabling AMD Crossfire mode on Radeon™ RX 480 may disable the device in Windows Device Manager. A workaround is to reboot the system to re-enable the device.

Thnx for the heads up. I saw it mentioned in the 480 review but it wasn't on their site yet. Now I can grab it, not that I have a 480 but I like to keep up to date.

Last edited:
that "new" hdmi scaling bar has been there for a while. ive been using it to adjust my 1440p vsr. I dont see anything different...
BUT!
my screen flickering is gone, no more streaming flicker and no more desktop flicker either!!!
no wattman but no flicker!!! I can live with that.

I gotta see if the desktop flicker is still there with the 7950, what card did you have it with pendragon1?

Yup msi 280x. He might not see it, Sigs don't show on the mobile site.

LOL. That known issues list is, frankly, astounding. This should be called a BETA. GG, as usual, AMD!

And to think the number of times certain members of this forum will defend AMD's drivers to the ends of the earth. How much proof do we need? GeForce drivers certainly are not perfect, but they're commendably good for the overall complexity.

People tend to forget how important good driver support is for a computer part, and also often don't take that into account when evaluating teh overall value proposition of a new purchase. Frankly, I believe tech sites should ALWAYS be noting this type of stuff in the reviews for any products, especially AMD GPUs. Even if no major issues are encountered when benchmarking older games, at this point it's a given that over the life of an AMD GPU, you will be dealing with a LOT of game/driver related headaches, and if driver updates are needed, you'll probably wait 3-6 months for a fix if there ever is one!

LOL. That known issues list is, frankly, astounding. This should be called a BETA. GG, as usual, AMD!

And to think the number of times certain members of this forum will defend AMD's drivers to the ends of the earth. How much proof do we need? GeForce drivers certainly are not perfect, but they're commendably good for the overall complexity.

People tend to forget how important good driver support is for a computer part, and also often don't take that into account when evaluating teh overall value proposition of a new purchase. Frankly, I believe tech sites should ALWAYS be noting this type of stuff in the reviews for any products, especially AMD GPUs. Even if no major issues are encountered when benchmarking older games, at this point it's a given that over the life of an AMD GPU, you will be dealing with a LOT of game/driver related headaches, and if driver updates are needed, you'll probably wait 3-6 months for a fix if there ever is one!
Did you register just to post this book?

Having a long list of known issues are common, I'd rather them list them then not as if I'm experiencing one of the listed ones I know it's not an isolated issue.

Cheap shot, to be frank, you can certainly make the same argument for nVidia. Tbh, both teams have drivers that work and doesn't work.

My RX 480 has the occasional flicker on the desktop. Oddly, it does not do it when the driver is uninstalled. Any ideas or advice?

My RX 480 has the occasional flicker on the desktop. Oddly, it does not do it when the driver is uninstalled. Any ideas or advice?
make sure you have the new 16.6.2 drivers. download and runn ddu and then reinstall the drivers. see if that helps. if not, welcome to the flicker club!

make sure you have the new 16.6.2 drivers. download and runn ddu and then reinstall the drivers. see if that helps. if not, welcome to the flicker club!
Thanks for the reply. I have that driver and followed that exact process when I first installed it. As it turns out, it just doesn't like 144hz. Its running rock solid with 120hz though, so its all good.

I cant get GTA V to see both cards(7970's) after this update. I had to roll back and it works now. This update is fucked up. Its already killed one install of windows 10. It crashed during the display driver install phase and wouldn't even allow me to boot into safe mode without the driver running.

Last edited:
Back