AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.6.1

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.6.1 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. According to AMD, these drivers offer support for Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Paragon and a new Crossfire profile for Dark Souls III. Here's a list of known issues as well as resolved issues:

Fixed Issues
  • Display flickering or corruption may be experienced when playing videos in a web browser.
  • DiRT Rally™ may experience poor performance on some tracks with rainy/night scenes.
  • The HDMI® display scaling options in Radeon Settings may be missing when the display is set to an interlaced resolution.
  • The AMD Crossfire™ technology mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
  • Fallout™ 4 may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode for some game textures.
  • Flickering on Oculus Rift™ headsets may be experienced when multiple displays are connected with differing resolutions.
  • Radeon Settings additional settings page may fail to open after performing a Windows Update and then installing the latest Radeon Software Crimson Edition.

Known Issues
  • A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
  • Battlefield™ 4 may experience crashes when using Mantle. As a work around users are suggested to switch to DirectX®11.
  • Doom™ some game levels may experience shimmering textures.
  • The Division™ may hang when using Quad AMD Crossfire™ technology. As a workaround users are recommended to disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
  • Radeon Settings gaming profile options for Uplay applications may not take effect.
  • Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.
  • Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.
  • On some AMD XConnect™ technology external GPU enclosures, a TDR may be observed when the dGPU is set to primary display and the laptop display is set to extended display with video playback.

Considering most issues with graphics drivers seem to be Crossfire/SLI related, is having more than one GPU really worth it?

Considering most issues with graphics drivers seem to be Crossfire/SLI related, is having more than one GPU really worth it?

Under DX12/Vulkan(?) and if it is supported in the game then it hardly is something to worry about. Under DX11 drivers and the game have to support this so your mileage may vary.

Fixed Issues

Display flickering or corruption may be experienced when playing videos in a web browser

Not on a 7970 on Win10 x64 it isn't. I guess I'm still stuck on the 15.12 (I've had video corruption in every driver since 15.12).

I guess I shouldn't expect recent drivers to support the 7970, but it is still listed as supported so when I read that I was hoping it was fixed. Oh well...

Not on a 7970 on Win10 x64 it isn't. I guess I'm still stuck on the 15.12 (I've had video corruption in every driver since 15.12).

I guess I shouldn't expect recent drivers to support the 7970, but it is still listed as supported so when I read that I was hoping it was fixed. Oh well...

You need to disable hardware acceleration in the browser settings. And if it is using flash, you need to right click on the video to get into the flash player settings to disable hardware acceleration.

this has been a problem for quite a long time. Not sure if it is an AMD problem or crappy video codecs that do not use acceleration properly.

In any case, it works fine without "acceleration" enabled, so I am not too worried about it.

You need to disable hardware acceleration in the browser settings. And if it is using flash, you need to right click on the video to get into the flash player settings to disable hardware acceleration.

this has been a problem for quite a long time. Not sure if it is an AMD problem or crappy video codecs that do not use acceleration properly.

In any case, it works fine without "acceleration" enabled, so I am not too worried about it.

I think I tried that and it didn't work but I'm not 100% sure. I'll give it a go when I have more time and report back.

Where is that setting in Chrome?

I've had problems with clean YouTube playback in Chrome for ages now. Sputters, freezes, static in audio, terrible. I've been trying to track it down for months and can't find it. According to resource monitors, the machine is not being pushed into doing this.

Windows 10 Pro. 2600k. 16GB Ram. 512k Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Where is that setting in Chrome?

I've had problems with clean YouTube playback in Chrome for ages now. Sputters, freezes, static in audio, terrible. I've been trying to track it down for months and can't find it. According to resource monitors, the machine is not being pushed into doing this.

Windows 10 Pro. 2600k. 16GB Ram. 512k Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

In Chrome:
Settings --> Advanced Settings --> System --> (uncheck) Use Hardware Acceleration When Possible

I checked and hardware acceleration was already disabled (I thought I had done this, so I'm assuming I forgot to re-enable it when I was done last time).

Also, the problem I'm having is with Silverlight playback, not flash, although flash performance was terrible on YouTube (stuttering, if videos would start at all, but no corruption). Disabling hardware acceleration might help that but it makes no difference with Silverlight (it's completely jacked up... corrupt/green/black screens).

Under DX12/Vulkan(?) and if it is supported in the game then it hardly is something to worry about. Under DX11 drivers and the game have to support this so your mileage may vary.
That's very misleading. Under DX12 / Vulkan, multi-GPU has to be explicitly programmed for, and there isn't any reason to believe it's going to end up better/more widely supported than it is today, except with VR.

That's very misleading. Under DX12 / Vulkan, multi-GPU has to be explicitly programmed for, and there isn't any reason to believe it's going to end up better/more widely supported than it is today, except with VR.

What is misleading ? I stated if it is supported in the game very clearly...

Last edited:
Because you said it's hardly something to worry about. I think that under DX12/Vulkan we will see generally better scaling and efficiency but as for widespread support, I am not holding my breath that game compatibility turns out better than DX11 today.

I still think the best advice is to buy the best single GPU you can afford.

I checked and hardware acceleration was already disabled (I thought I had done this, so I'm assuming I forgot to re-enable it when I was done last time).

Also, the problem I'm having is with Silverlight playback, not flash, although flash performance was terrible on YouTube (stuttering, if videos would start at all, but no corruption). Disabling hardware acceleration might help that but it makes no difference with Silverlight (it's completely jacked up... corrupt/green/black screens).

What site is using Silverlite that you are having problems with?

I can test on my machine this evening and see if it does it for me as well.

I know I have been using specific browsers for certain sites.

depend son what you play if your games support CF and you play at 1440+ then yeah

I don't think CF/SLI is really worth it much anymore. Both NVidia and AMD are slowly backing away from those supports, and it just never quite lived up to the hype.

That said, I think EMA could be a real thing, and what was always needed - a Windows-controlled Multi-display profile that was universal and treated all cards equally.

I think that will be the future eventually of multi-monitor support.

depend son what you play if your games support CF and you play at 1440+ then yeah

Really depends. Most games suffer from a stutter in Crossfire. SWTOR used to pull that shit all the time on me. SLI seems to do better but really under-utilized.

I've run CFX and SLI setups from both vendors for years. Both work very well when they are supported both by the game and by drivers, but it has been increasingly worse on the AMD side. When I had my 580 and 680 SLI setups, support was great, but I haven't run an NVIDIA SLI setup since 2014 now. Waiting for 1080 Ti and I will probably run an SLI setup again.

What site is using Silverlite that you are having problems with?

I can test on my machine this evening and see if it does it for me as well.

I know I have been using specific browsers for certain sites.

It's Amazon Prime video. They moved to HTML5 video, but I use a 64-bit browser (Waterfox) so I set it to indicate it is 32-bit so it will revert to Silverlight (their HTML5 player doesn't support 64-bit). I really don't think it's a problem with the browser since it worked fine with this same card with 15.12 drivers and earlier. I also haven't upgraded the browser since v40.1.0 due to difficulties with the newer versions.

Because you said it's hardly something to worry about. I think that under DX12/Vulkan we will see generally better scaling and efficiency but as for widespread support, I am not holding my breath that game compatibility turns out better than DX11 today.
I still think the best advice is to buy the best single GPU you can afford.

Let's say Battlefield 1 supports multiple cards in DX12 and Vulkan then EA would do the work and maintain it themselves there should be no interference from the AMD driver since the developer implements the method for supporting the cards it falls under their responsibility for maintaining this.

And with DX12 and Vulkan support in major engines also have a bigger change for more games using multi-adapter as long as the engine supports it by default.
That is something which we hardly saw in DX11.

I did, but that was more out of necessity. They have been heavily pushing for EMA to be the standard. It would take the burden of developing Crossfire off their hands. Not to mention it would force Nvidia to use the same tools AMD is when it comes to multi-gpu Solutions. At least when it comes to software since the point of access would be the same for both companies.

Given amd's feeling that they are superior in architecture but just haven't had game developers develop for it, they're thinking is Ema will end up being a net positive for them.

I did, but that was more out of necessity. They have been heavily pushing for EMA to be the standard. It would take the burden of developing Crossfire off their hands. Not to mention it would force Nvidia to use the same tools AMD is when it comes to multi-gpu Solutions. At least when it comes to software since the point of access would be the same for both companies.

Given amd's feeling that they are superior in architecture but just haven't had game developers develop for it, they're thinking is Ema will end up being a net positive for them.

So yeah, that's not backing away.

I do agree though that it could be difficult for game developers. So maybe the next few years under DX12 and Vulkan could be a make or break point for multi-GPU? I feel like some devs like DICE will always push it on their key franchises, but I'm not sure that we'll see a lot of support from Ubisoft and others that put out less popular games.

I do agree though that it could be difficult for game developers. So maybe the next few years under DX12 and Vulkan could be a make or break point for multi-GPU? I feel like some devs like DICE will always push it on their key franchises, but I'm not sure that we'll see a lot of support from Ubisoft and others that put out less popular games.

The biggest stagnation in the whole process was still seeing a flood of DX9 games while DX11 was out for several years. Now that development tools are easier to use cross platform and people designing gaming engines are more focused to clear hurdles faster since there is no "next big bottleneck" that slows development down we might actually see faster progress .....

You completely misunderstood what I meant. They will be backing away from SLI and Crossfire. But supporting multi explicit adapter. This will allow them to reallocate the resources dedicated to that to improving their cards in other areas

The big question is though, are the developers really going to put the time and effort into Multi GPU for gaming. I don't know if it is easy or difficult for them. But if it is difficult, they may start with a hiss and a roar, but I have a feeling it will wain in the long term. My self, I have run a few Crossfire and SLI setups in the past. I would love this to be a big hit, but seeing how some developers are...

Back