AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has released brand new Crimson Edition 16.3 drivers for all you Radeon owners out there. In addition to a handful of fixes, these drivers have Crossfire profiles for Hitman and The Park. Here's a list of performance and quality improvements:

Rise of the Tomb Raider™

• Up to 16% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.
Gears of War Ultimate Edition

• Up to 60% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
    • Up to 44% on AMD Radeon™ R9 380 series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
AMD XConnect™ technology: This driver provides initial support for external GPU enclosures configured with Radeon™ R9 300 Series GPUs are now supported over Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) connections. AMD XConnect™ technology additionally provides plug'n'play support and an integrated management interface. Base system must have BIOS support for external GPUs (e.g. Razer Blade Stealth).

I'll take the "up to" performance figures with a grain of salt, but it's great that AMD pushed out a new optimized driver.

So far so good with my systems...no crazy installation issues like the recent Nvidia one.

Installed for Hitman, quick, smooth, no issues. As per usual.

2 screen Eyefinity is a nice little extra too!

It has been good to see that AMD has been more responsive with their new Crimson Driver sets. I hope that it continues. Now if they can get some more competitive hardware out there things will be better for everyone.

Capture_zpsfrsadrjf.png

Alright why does amd list the drivers like this? AMD what driver do i download? ( its a rhetorical question) Are they suggesting most people should install the 15.12. and then right after apply the HOTFIX 16.3 over the top of it? Why are these people smoking crack. And btw those are not the latest whql drivers either.....It amazes me how dumb the web page is

Capture_zpsfrsadrjf.png

Alright why does amd list the drivers like this? AMD what driver do i download? ( its a rhetorical question) Are they suggesting most people should install the 15.12. and then right after apply the HOTFIX 16.3 over the top of it? Why are these people smoking crack. And btw those are not the latest whql drivers either.....It amazes me how dumb the web page is
It is pretty terrible. You need to download the third option. Luckily once you have the drivers installed once you can just open the Crimson control panel and hit 'Check for updates' and then not go to their confusing site at all.

It is pretty terrible. You need to download the third option. Luckily once you have the drivers installed once you can just open the Crimson control panel and hit 'Check for updates' and then not go to their confusing site at all.
I think it's pretty obvious.. you click what you want to DL depending on your needs..
Do you want WHQL ? DL Crimson 15.12 .. want just WHQL DRIVERS (no crimson panels/addons etc) then DL the 12.3MB Crimson Edition 15.12
Want the latest/greatest ? DL the Crimson Edition 16.3 Hotfix
Not really sure how people get confused..

Does this fix the clock speed issue on tonga based cards?

Looks like the included power toggle works, so that's nice.

Last edited:
Capture_zpsfrsadrjf.png

Yeah it's confuses me as well. As in the past we need the main drivers and patch it with the hotfix but now the hotfix is also a standalone driver. I mean once you understand it now then it's fine but it looks totally stupid on the site. Just call it the 16.3 beta's and not a hotfix and be done with it.

Does this fix the clock speed issue on tonga based cards?

Looks like the included power toggle works, so that's nice.

Not sure about Tonga, but on my Hawaii based card (390) I no longer have to run clockblocker in order to actually get decent performance anymore. So that's a huge plus.

Its pretty straight foreword, if you want the latest and greatest get the bottom ones, if you want the old faith(Stable?) get the top. So far in a few test they seem better then the last hotfix ones.

Poor wording though. Hotfix implies a patch, not an unreleased to production pre-release / beta driver.

Fallout 4 fixed yet on these so far shitty crimson series drivers? Or they're just concentrating on other console franchise garbage?

Poor wording though. Hotfix implies a patch, not an unreleased to production pre-release / beta driver.

Fallout 4 fixed yet on these so far shitty crimson series drivers? Or they're just concentrating on other console franchise garbage?

Yes Fallout 4 is fixed on these shitty crimson drivers. The shitty game was fixed 1 shitty month ago. I have tested it my shitty self.

One month ago? Nah, wasn't fixed then, still had compass glitches and just not even showing guns or stimpack animations. Back to 15.7.1 fixed it again.

One month ago? Nah, wasn't fixed then, still had compass glitches and just not even showing guns or stimpack animations. Back to 15.7.1 fixed it again.

ugh, on my 390x it was fixed on 16.1. I am on 16.3 and it is still fixed. 16.1 was released in January. Try 16.3 if you haven't.

Just tried them right now. No, I really did. Whoo, it seems it's all good now. :)

Any issues patching these drivers with Twitchx and using CRU to set custom refresh rates?

well i havent tried CRU since we can already add the new refresh rate without it now.....i havent used twitch option per say but i have used the playstv (VCE) - AMD to record some gameplay. (if one works the other should as well right or am i wrong?)

Unfortunately, when I do that, the check for updates still isn't working for me, because even with the hotfix, the past 2 hotfixes weren't detected and I had to install manually, because it still sees crimson edition 15.12 as the current, even though when you go to check the version, its a later one.

Or is that only my issue?

Unfortunately, when I do that, the check for updates still isn't working for me, because even with the hotfix, the past 2 hotfixes weren't detected and I had to install manually, because it still sees crimson edition 15.12 as the current, even though when you go to check the version, its a later one.

Or is that only my issue?
Once I was no longer on the Microsoft certified drivers the updating worked for me.

Back