AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Video Card Review @ [H]

lets say 1000 bucks a month, 10 cards that 7 grand + components - the cost of the electricity, turn around time is still higher than 6 months and that is my cut off limit of return :), if I can't get my money back in 6 months my ROI drops significantly. For every month after ya loose 1/6 of potential profits.

I don't like using those automated systems at least not right now cause its really damn hard to track what is going on. That's why daily I just go through an excel sheet that does my profitability for different coins I have already picked out and switch my systems based on that. Takes a hour a day, but its worth it end up making more than the automated systems. Once Eth goes though, yeah I can see the automated systems making more.

Interesting about the split thx, I'll look into that.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wonder when Crapifornia will start banning video cards that are not efficient enough... or at least make you pay a carbon tax. Pretty soon, we'll have 49-state legal video cards and mandatory CA-installed software to make sure you haven't tampered with your ECU... err... GPU. It's not all that hard to imagine having to bring your PC in for emissions-testing once a year, to ensure you are using digitally-signed, CARB-compliant drivers, lol.

On a more serious note... I'm really bummed. I was really looking forward to Vega so I could dump my 1070. I do casual gaming, but work from home on my three 28" 4k Samsung monitors. My day is spent working in multiple shells, RDP windows, and web consoles... and if I'm lucky, I get to do some gaming at night. While the 1070 has been more than fast enough for gaming, the 2D/desktop drivers are absolutely horrendous. Every time my monitors go to sleep, my windows get resized, moved off of the monitor they were on to another monitor, etc. On top of that, my desktop resolution will get stuck at some weird 2560 resolution on just one monitor (requiring a reboot), and so-on.

Vega was supposed to be my life raft... my escape from Nvidia driver hell. But damned if I'll be spending more than the deal I got on my 1070 almost a year ago ($320 shipped) for a Vega 56 that barely outperforms my current card.

Damn you AMD.

I run four monitors, and do not have the resolution sizing issue you describe- whilst running 970 SLI.

I also run DisplayFusion, which allows more customization, which is something you might try.

That sounds strange. I have a 1080 SLI with 3 monitors, mostly no problems (except with Surround, but that's another issue).

I run four monitors, and do not have the resolution sizing issue you describe- whilst running 970 SLI.

I also run DisplayFusion, which allows more customization, which is something you might try.

That sounds strange. I have a 1080 SLI with 3 monitors, mostly no problems (except with Surround, but that's another issue).
Those are actually just a few of the issues I'm having... none of which I had my my R9 290X. My monitors could sleep for 5 mins, or 5 days, and everything would be exactly where I left it. I've tried Display fusion as well as any number of registry hacks, but nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to wonder if it it's a specific combination of the Nvidia card *and* the Samsung monitors... although, I have had several monitor setups, with both cards.

If this stupid ass mining craze dies down soon, then maybe I'll grab a Vega 56 and see if my problems go away. With my luck, it won't.

**EDIT**
If you guys are interested in helping, here is a thread I created a while ago on the issues I'm having:

https://hardforum.com/threads/switched-to-nvidia-multi-monitor-problems.1920442/

FWIW,

1080TI prices are definitely creeping up too. It's hard to find a MSRP $700 1080TI anymore. More like $730-$740 for base 1080TI. Many of the 1080TI are now $800. That surely is miners driving prices up - as I don't think 1080TI is a high volume gaming product at it's pricepoint.

My cousin is using nicehash -- it can mine for whatever is most profitable at the time and is pretty painless -- with 10 cards he is making about >= $900 gross per month.

I just picked up 4 gigabyte geforce 1080s and using nicehash i make $2.35 a day per card. Including my ryzen hashrate I make about $300 a month. I really cringed buying geforce cards, but according to the calculators and stock levels it was between a 3gb 1060 that might be obsolete soon and a 1080. I did look at 1080tis too, but didnt want to invest that much. Last year I was buying RX 480 4gb for $169. I could of bought 13 of them for what i paid for the 4 cheapest 1080s...

I wonder when Crapifornia will start banning video cards that are not efficient enough... or at least make you pay a carbon tax. Pretty soon, we'll have 49-state legal video cards and mandatory CA-installed software to make sure you haven't tampered with your ECU... err... GPU. It's not all that hard to imagine having to bring your PC in for emissions-testing once a year, to ensure you are using digitally-signed, CARB-compliant drivers, lol.

On a more serious note... I'm really bummed. I was really looking forward to Vega so I could dump my 1070. I do casual gaming, but work from home on my three 28" 4k Samsung monitors. My day is spent working in multiple shells, RDP windows, and web consoles... and if I'm lucky, I get to do some gaming at night. While the 1070 has been more than fast enough for gaming, the 2D/desktop drivers are absolutely horrendous. Every time my monitors go to sleep, my windows get resized, moved off of the monitor they were on to another monitor, etc. On top of that, my desktop resolution will get stuck at some weird 2560 resolution on just one monitor (requiring a reboot), and so-on.

Vega was supposed to be my life raft... my escape from Nvidia driver hell. But damned if I'll be spending more than the deal I got on my 1070 almost a year ago ($320 shipped) for a Vega 56 that barely outperforms my current card.

Damn you AMD.

No need for that level of micromanaging, they just have tiers of cost for energy use, go into the higher tiers of power use and pay through the nose. Elegant way of discouraging power hungry activities. Don't like it? Get Solar. California knows what it's doing.

Back to Vega, the 599.99 cost version has been in stock at best buy for a day now, I wonder if anyone is buying those or if interest has waned that quickly? Maybe people just don't want to touch best buy vs newegg but no one should be spending that much more on newegg imo.

I love the availability and pricing links at the end of the article.

If you follow the XFX at amazon link for $499, all the cards listed are $700+ Holy crap! Talk about price inflation. For that price you could get a 1080Ti and blow this thing away at way less power, heat, noise.

The AMD cards will make sense. At the right price. If the prices are more than $50 over MSRP or "SEP" then why bother?

No need for that level of micromanaging, they just have tiers of cost for energy use, go into the higher tiers of power use and pay through the nose. Elegant way of discouraging power hungry activities. Don't like it? Get Solar. California knows what it's doing.
You really think so? Lol. Sorry, solar is not the key to California's energy woes. Even their largest battery arrays are only able to hold a fraction of what the state consumes as a whole, and batteries are expensive, huge, and present their own unique environmental issues.

The only thing I can give California credit for is being creative. If some breakthrough does happen to come through in regards to storing/transferring energy, it'll probably come from there. But the rest of California's burdensome laws and regulations make that place a shitty state to live in. I will never go back.

On the Vega side, it is honestly sad to see such an inefficient power hog make it to the market and not even present a worthy performance-to-power proposition. I'm perfectly fine with paying more in electricity for something that performs... but this is a joke. One has to think that partway through development, AMD realized they couldn't compete with the current Nvidia offering, and decided to optimize the card for mining and research instead (which would also explain why these cards released later).

Last edited:
Back