AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 "Unboxing" and First-look.

Some of the other sites are showing a black card.

Are some of these RX models also coming with the aluminum shroud like this one? Is it some kind of limited edition model for extra $$?

I think I am getting my wires crossed with the RX models and non RX models.

Some of the other sites are showing a black card.

Are some of these RX models also coming with the aluminum shroud like this one? Is it some kind of limited edition model for extra $$?

I think I am getting my wires crossed with the RX models and non RX models.

believe the metal shroud is the limited edition.

I wonder what the criteria is for what site gets what version? I'm really surprised they never sent every site the AIO version to show the best possible scenario for highest and most stable clocks and acoustics.

Don't expect the blower to do that good a job as they generally never do regardless of it being red or green.

I wonder what the criteria is for what site gets what version? I'm really surprised they never sent every site the AIO version to show the best possible scenario for highest and most stable clocks and acoustics.

Don't expect the blower to do that good a job as they generally never do regardless of it being red or green.
The cards are the same. Just a different shroud and cost. The aluminum shroud might shed heat a bit better, but I doubt there is a significant delta.

True but some sites did get the aio version, surely that's going to maintain higher and more stable clock speeds than the blower versions?
I am not making any assumptions. TMK Sapphire sampled those directly, not AMD.

The closed loop water cooled will be the only metal shroud card except the blower limited edition.

I don't really care about the shroud anyway as the first thing I'd do with it is put a custom full-cover water block on it anyway. I have on every card I've had since the Radeon 6950 (R9 290, R9 290x, RX 480)

The closed loop water cooled will be the only metal shroud card except the blower limited edition.

Gigabyte might roll out their aorus cooler onto their version, though that's more like shit bucket grade Tin than something like Aluminium.

Nice video. I hove HardOCP TV!
Now - what are the chances I can get one at MSRP on Monday?
Somehow I think the miners are going to end up with them all :(

Nice video. I hove HardOCP TV!
Now - what are the chances I can get one at MSRP on Monday?
Somehow I think the miners are going to end up with them all :(

Stock seems to be decent, ocuk has over 1000 apparently so i can only assume there seems to be a lot of stock to do the rounds. Just a matter of trying to order as soon as they go live, which hopefully is slightly after reviews hit.

Very cool video. I think the thing looks pretty sharp especially in the dark. The "R" in the corner is a cool touch.

Also, really liking the frequent HardOCP TV episodes. I watch a lot of tech channels for my info and am really glad [H] is putting more out there on their's.

Very cool video. I think the thing looks pretty sharp especially in the dark. The "R" in the corner is a cool touch.

Also, really liking the frequent HardOCP TV episodes. I watch a lot of tech channels for my info and am really glad [H] is putting more out there on their's.

Vids are a good idea as you can get a better feel for things on video as opposed to static pics, just a pity just about any camera you can buy seems to freak out when it sees the colour red and shows it as orange. :p

Can't wait for Monday! Gonna snag one of these and see what happens with the reviews.

I am a fan. Great. I got that out of the way.

For a card like this, I'd think the fan hub would not have an eccentric revolution. Look at where Kyle spins it by hand and in when he has it running: the hub is not centered. I don't know if it's a press-on shiny sticker or an actual piece of aluminum. I can't tell if, whatever it is, is centered on the fan hub. Either "it" is off-center, or the fan has a bit of wobble or some give in the bearings/spindle.

If the fan is off-center, I'd think there'd be a pulsing characteristic to the fan noise...and early bearing failure.

Or, it's just a damn sticker which is off-center.

I am a fan. Great. I got that out of the way.

For a card like this, I'd think the fan hub would not have an eccentric revolution. Look at where Kyle spins it by hand and in when he has it running: the hub is not centered. I don't know if it's a press-on shiny sticker or an actual piece of aluminum. I can't tell if, whatever it is, is centered on the fan hub. Either "it" is off-center, or the fan has a bit of wobble or some give in the bearings/spindle.

If the fan is off-center, I'd think there'd be a pulsing characteristic to the fan noise...and early bearing failure.

Or, it's just a damn sticker which is off-center.
That's just a sticker lol

Can they even be crossfired? AMD does it through the PCIe bus so does not need a connector.

AMD got rid of Crossfire bridges a good while back.

And yes, sticker on the fan.

Bah. Sticker!?!? I'm, apparently, a Sticker Stickler. ;)

AMD needs better sticker centering tech. Of course, I'm not one to stare at the inside of my computer when it's running, so this is a bit of a moot point.

How do us Consumer Plebeians get an actual Brushed Aluminum Shroud version like [H]ard|OCP press kit when even the review kits are limited? Like Nordic Hardware and PC GAMER review kits for Vega 56 and 64 have the same shroud design as RX 480... disappointing. PC GAMER was given a paperweight instead of a functional HoloCube that we saw Linus unbox and display.

How do us Consumer Plebeians get an actual Brushed Aluminum Shroud version like [H]ard|OCP press kit when even the review kits are limited? Like Nordic Hardware and PC GAMER review kits for Vega 56 and 64 have the same shroud design as RX 480... disappointing. PC GAMER was given a paperweight instead of a functional HoloCube that we saw Linus unbox and display.

Viewers count.

I like the part where he was rubbing them across his carpet lol...:wacky:

Thanks for the teaser. I assume the full review will be up at 00:01 your time on Monday? That would make a nice morning read.

I wouldn't want either of those cards after he rubbed them all over his carpet. If it doesn't kill it instantly, you will have a good chance of introducing latent failures. Personally I've only killed one stick of RAM, taking it home in my pocket LOL, hey I was 16! AND, he even mentions Anti-Static bag! Those are actually static shielding, vs the pink "anti-static" or dissipative bags. They won't prevent a charge, but will not generate static. We use them for paperwork, not for PCBs. Bottom line, that guy is a fool.

how come us Consumer Plebeians are gonna get stuck with the outdated RX 480-based shroud design instead of these awesome Review Samples with Brushed Aluminum ? I want my Vega HoloCube and Brushed Aluminum Shroud !!

how come us Consumer Plebeians are gonna get stuck with the outdated RX 480-based shroud design instead of these awesome Review Samples with Brushed Aluminum ? I want my Vega HoloCube and Brushed Aluminum Shroud !!

Marketing my dear Watson, marketing.

Did any of the review sites get the closed loop water cooled version. I do like the aluminium shroud, but want the water cooled one. Could it be the just air cooled cards at a release and water cooled sometime later ?

Back