AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 4K Video Card Review @ [H]

Its probably recording the front and back buffer with the 1080ti since its going so fast.

be honest for the price vega is a joke.

The air cooled edition at MSRP its just OK.. the water cooled its a joke considering you can buy an aftermarket cooled 1080ti at same price.

I'm unsure the 1080ti is playable with the 60fps swings.

Not going off of benchmarks myself, but my 7700K at 5Ghz with 1080ti seems very playable at 4k... If it was swinging below 60 into the 30's I am sure I would notice it or complain.... But a 120 swing into 80 or so wouldn't really bother me...

I am receiving a Vega 56 tomorrow and looking forward to some 4k goodness. :) I do not find that I have to slam all the sliders to the right though to have a good gaming experience. (I actually gamed more 13 years ago when I owned far weaker hardware than what was available than I game today.)

Vega is so shit. I think the review should have stated that if you had a brain you must have bought a 1080 about 18 months ago to enjoy the same performance.
If you didn't for whatever reason, spending more than a penny over 500 today is just absurd (actually you can snag a 1080 for 450 used in most places that will also overclock decently on air).
Also, guess what, I still can't locate a single vega 64 less than 600.

I think Vega is alright. The issue is the price. If it were priced correctly, there would be a much different narrative.

I think Vega is alright. The issue is the price. If it were priced correctly, there would be a much different narrative.

Yeah I was genuinely expecting them to go for the price/performance crown and undercut the competition, not just roll up 15 months late going "Sorry we're late guys, here's a much less efficient version of what you already have but at the same price. Enjoy!". Although to be fair Vega 56 is at least a marginal improvement over the 1070.

Vega is so shit. I think the review should have stated that if you had a brain you must have bought a 1080 about 18 months ago to enjoy the same performance.
If you didn't for whatever reason, spending more than a penny over 500 today is just absurd (actually you can snag a 1080 for 450 used in most places that will also overclock decently on air).
Also, guess what, I still can't locate a single vega 64 less than 600.
So you are looking for a very popular card I see, ;). You just have to bite the bullet and spend the extra dough if you want one.

That graph threw me off for a second too, but then I realized- even with the high variability, the 1080Ti is still higher than the 1080 or Vega 64. Which means that it'll be at least as smooth as those in the measured playthrough.
Not necessarily, which is where my concern falls. In the case of some sort of dependency between frames, where frames aren't queued very deep or queued overly deep to provide higher FPS at the expense of latency. Consistency is still a concern for variable refresh displays, however part of these results are at FPS generally exceeding current displays.

These results look like the workload is alternating every few frames and presentmon sampling insufficiently. Difficult to discern if the issue is game, driver, or tool related.

Not going off of benchmarks myself, but my 7700K at 5Ghz with 1080ti seems very playable at 4k... If it was swinging below 60 into the 30's I am sure I would notice it or complain.... But a 120 swing into 80 or so wouldn't really bother me...
Difficult to tell how much they may be fluctuating though. The concern are that these tests are with rather fast CPUs. Common for 1080ti owners, but someone with a Threadripper or mainstream CPU might be having more problems. Concern being a significant difference in CPU bottleneck between drivers.

Not necessarily, which is where my concern falls.

We may be seeing different things, so what I'm seeing is higher instantaneous framerate spikes on the 1080Ti, which means instances of very low frametimes. This can only be perceived as smoother so long as the average framerate is already smooth, which for this instance, it is, and thus the 1080Ti is at least as smooth as the slower cards.

However, I share your concern for the tool, as does Kyle in the writeup.

I think Vega is fantastic and it's image quality is very good, at least from what I have experienced so far. Gaming at 4k on Vega, either one, is good but, I do not have a Freesync monitor, which does limit what I can do at 4k sometimes. I refuse to spend over $600 ever again only to have it lose 50% of it's value just 6 months later.

I think Vega is fantastic and it's image quality is very good, at least from what I have experienced so far. Gaming at 4k on Vega, either one, is good but, I do not have a Freesync monitor, which does limit what I can do at 4k sometimes. I refuse to spend over $600 ever again only to have it lose 50% of it's value just 6 months later.

Objectively, Vega is moderately okay, and image quality is the same as everything else. As for value, if you're worried about something losing value, you should probably stop buying PC parts altogether. 50% after six months is a good return.

[and don't throw in the mining example, that's cherry picking, and is not a reliable indicator of GPU demand therefore pricing going forward]

Objectively, Vega is moderately okay, and image quality is the same as everything else. As for value, if you're worried about something losing value, you should probably stop buying PC parts altogether. 50% after six months is a good return.

[and don't throw in the mining example, that's cherry picking, and is not a reliable indicator of GPU demand therefore pricing going forward]

Objectively, Vega is fantastic. :) Also, losing 50% of a over $600 item in about 6 months time is not a good return at all. You may have no issue with that but, I do and therefore, will be purchasing my items accordingly.

Objectively, Vega is fantastic. :) Also, losing 50% of a over $600 item in about 6 months time is not a good return at all. You may have no issue with that but, I do and therefore, will be purchasing my items accordingly.

Well, like he said... If that is your motto then PC parts aren't for you. If volta releases in 6 months good luck getting 50% for any current gen GPU. I already see used 1080s going for 300-350 on hardwareswap. Further, with the current rapid CPU architecture changes good luck selling your CPU/Mobo for anywhere close to present value.

Well, like he said... If that is your motto then PC parts aren't for you. If volta releases in 6 months good luck getting 50% for any current gen GPU. I already see used 1080s going for 300-350 on hardwareswap. Further, with the current rapid CPU architecture changes good luck selling your CPU/Mobo for anywhere close to present value.

LOL! Nah, PC parts are for me but, I am also fully aware of what I am buying into and what is not worth it.

50% is lucky in the world of tech lol, usually its 25% or less once a new gen comes out.

As for value, if you're worried about something losing value, you should probably stop buying PC parts altogether. 50% after six months is a good return.
I bought 2x RX 480s for $220 each, used them for 6 months, then sold the lot for $580 on ebay. So about a 30% gain. Obviously not typical, but it can happen.

I bought 2x RX 480s for $220 each, used them for 6 months, then sold the lot for $580 on ebay. So about a 30% gain. Obviously not typical, but it can happen.

It's a fair point to make, but it's also cherry picking- it's the opposite of the norm, and due to an unpredictable market distortion (that being mining, and AMD's inability to produce HBM parts in high numbers...).

The problem is that it may or may not happen in the future.

A lot of people on Reddit have been seeing some moderate gains on Vega with HBCC enabled -- any chance [H] could do some formal testing?

Back