AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT, RX 6850 XT, RX 6750 XT ‘RDNA 2 Refresh’ Graphics Cards Rumored For Q2 2022: Navi 21 & 22 GPUs With 18 Gbps Memory

kac77

2[H]4U

AMD Radeon RX 6000 'RDNA 2 Refresh' GPUs Rumored To Launch In Q2 2022: Will Include Navi 21 & Navi 22 GPUs For RX 6950 XT, RX 6850 XT & RX 6750 XT

According to the latest rumor coming from Chiphell's 'wjm47196' it is reported that AMD's RDNA 2 refresh is coming out in Q2 2022 and will feature a brand new branding, similar to the new mobile outings. There are two GPUs that are currently mentioned, that will be updated, and these include the AMD Navi 21 and Navi 22. Now we don't know exactly as to what extent these GPUs will get updated but it could be a minor one.

No point updating Navi 21 as Navi 33 will be out by end of the year & in same performance range

Should have been Navi 22 & Navi 23 rather

Does this mean no RDNA3 this calendar year? or was that unrealistic expectation to begin with?

AMD's website still be like...

giphy.gif

So this is AMD taking their N7 products and moving them to N6, which is what TSMC is calling their improved N7 process which is design compatible but yields an 18% improvement in logic density, and minor improvements to power and other metrics. It's still nowhere as good as N5 but its less constrained than N7 so it should allow AMD to get some additional fab time, assuming they can get the wafers to actually print additional stock, but leaks from Sony indicate they may be moving the PS5 over to this node as well, lots of discussions there if that means they are going to be launching the PS5 Pro or just launching a system that uses a simpler cooling setup or both.

Last edited:
So this is AMD taking their N7 products and moving them to N6, which is what TSMC is calling their improved N7 process which is design compatible but yields an 18% improvement in logic density, and minor improvements to power and other metrics. It's still nowhere as good as N5 but its less constrained than N7 so it should allow AMD to get some additional fab time, assuming they can get the wafers to actually print additional stock, but leaks from Sony indicate they may be moving the PS5 over to this node as well, lots of discussions there if that means they are going to be launching the PS5 Pro or just launching a system that uses a simpler cooling setup or both.
It seems a bit of a stretch to me to make a PS5 Pro at this point when the PS5 still can't be purchased at retail by walking into Walmart and grabbing one. It also doesn't seem like they could bump up performance enough, at least not in the same form factor, for it to be worthwhile. I could definitely see a new node to make it run cooler and quieter, allowing them to cheap out even further on the cooling. I never had an Xbox 360, but I remember when xbox moved to the "falcon" variant to alleviate all the RROD. In fact, wasn't there 2 or 3 die shrinks over the Xbox 360 life cycle?

It seems a bit of a stretch to me to make a PS5 Pro at this point when the PS5 still can't be purchased at retail by walking into Walmart and grabbing one. It also doesn't seem like they could bump up performance enough, at least not in the same form factor, for it to be worthwhile. I could definitely see a new node to make it run cooler and quieter, allowing them to cheap out even further on the cooling. I never had an Xbox 360, but I remember when xbox moved to the "falcon" variant to alleviate all the RROD. In fact, wasn't there 2 or 3 die shrinks over the Xbox 360 life cycle?
Yeah, sony had to tell investors last week? that AMD shorted them 7m units in 2021, they were not pleased with all those lost sales. So 18% better density would get them smaller cooler chips which would get them a few extra units per wafer which should go towards overcoming that shortfall for 2022.

Seems like they are just going to be using up the super binned parts they have tucked away. That is why there is no 6850.

I thought filling in the small gaps in performance between different SKUs was an NVIDIA thing ;)
Never ending product segmentation is Intel's thing.
Renaming and rebranding products is NVIDIA's thing.

Renaming and rebranding products is NVIDIA's thing.
I'm guessing you missed these rebrands:

• Radeon HD 8570 OEM -> Radeon R5 240 OEM, Radeon R7 240 (OLAND)
  • Radeon HD 8670 OEM -> Radeon R7 240
  • Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition -> Radeon R7 250X (Cape Verde XT)
  • Radeon HD 7850 -> Radeon R7 265
  • Radeon HD 7870 -> Radeon R9 270 (Pitcairn XT)
  • Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition -> Radeon R9 270X (Pitcairn XT)
  • Radeon HD 7950 -> Radeon R9 280
  • Radeon HD 7870 -> Radeon R7 270/270X
  • Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition -> Radeon R9 280X
  • Radeon R7 250 -> Radeon R7 350 OEM, Radeon R7 340 OEM
  • AMD Radeon R7 360 -> Radeon RX 455 OEM
These are just the straight rebrands without including refreshes.

And before anyone says it, I know nvidia has also rebranded cards (roughly equal to AMD as a matter of fact).

And before anyone says it, I know nvidia has also rebranded cards (roughly equal to AMD as a matter of fact).
Pitcairn: the eternal GPU core

While you are correct, those were all years ago, unless they are still doing the rebranding and I just haven't seen it.

While you are correct, those were all years ago, unless they are still doing the rebranding and I just haven't seen it.
You're point? Nvidia's last rebrand was the GTX 670 which released May 10th, 2012. 4 days short of an entire decade ago. As opposed to AMD's which was the RX 455 released in June 30th of 2016.

Edit: The last nvidia card to be a rebrand is the GTX 760 Ti which released in 25th August, 2013 and was a rebranded GTX 670.

Last edited:

What counts as a refresh and what counts as a rebrand? For example, the Rx 480 to Rx 580 is called a refresh, but, to me it's just a rebrand. The 580 is just a higher clocked 480. Or does it matter how small the changes are, once there is any change made it becomes a refresh. And only if no changes are made it's a rebrand?

You're point? Nvidia's last rebrand was the GTX 670 which released May 10th, 2012. 4 days short of an entire decade ago. As opposed to AMD's which was the RX 455 released in June 30th of 2016.
NVIDIA has made rebrands up until very recently, where as AMD hasn't appeared to have done in quite some time, which was my point.
Also, the GTX 670 was a new GPU with the Kepler architecture, it wasn't a rebrand, so you might want to reassess your dates on that one.

What counts as a refresh and what counts as a rebrand? For example, the Rx 480 to Rx 580 is called a refresh, but, to me it's just a rebrand. The 580 is just a higher clocked 480. Or does it matter how small the changes are, once there is any change made it becomes a refresh. And only if no changes are made it's a rebrand?
A rebrand would be taking an original model, such as the 8800 GT, and rebranding the exact same model as a new model like the 9800 GT, even though they are the exact same model, save for perhaps versioning in the firmware and/or drivers.

A refresh would be taking that same architecture and making other improvements to it, such as the GTX 480 to the GTX 570.
Even though both are Fermi, the GTX 570 had other improvements made to it, not just a simple rebrand.

Last edited:
I mean most recently I can think of the Nvidia 11 series? But things get rebranded all the time by somebody, its a PITA to keep track of

This is a topic that exposes peoples fanboy team. :)

The last rebrand / refresh that I can think of is the RX-480 / 580 / 590.

I mean perhaps you could say that the 1070 TI which was essentially just a 1080 with GDDR5 instead of GDDR5X.

Some of the super cards in the 20 series could be just called rebrands of higher tiers cards but I really think that both are stretches.

Also, the GTX 670 was a new GPU with the Kepler architecture, it wasn't a rebrand, so you might want to reassess your dates on that one.
What I meant to say is that the GTX 670 was rebranded to the GTX 760 Ti, my apologies; but it was the last chip to be rebranded. I have since edited my post to correct it.
Wasn't the GTX 680 rebranded as a GTX 770?
It was, you are correct.
This is a topic that exposes peoples fanboy team. :)
Yup.

I mean most recently I can think of the Nvidia 11 series? But things get rebranded all the time by somebody, its a PITA to keep track of
Found rumors of possible incoming releases, but there are no 11 series released as far as I can tell. If it never released, can it be considered a rebrand?

Found rumors of possible incoming releases, but there are no 11 series released as far as I can tell. If it never released, can it be considered a rebrand?
Yeah, I had that backward, forget me it's been a long day. For some reason, I was thinking of the 1600 series cards but remembering them as the 1100s and I just completely messed up how that actually went down, ignore me for a bit I am just going to go back to yelling at the clouds.

They are in stock at AMD direct right now.

$1099 for the 6950 XT and $549 for the 6750 XT.

AMD advertising the fact that their cards are available at MSRP

AMD claims to offer better performance per dollar than NVIDIA GPUs across its entire Radeon RX 6000 stack
But ray tracing, Optix and CUDA is on Nvidia side. Though can AMD improve raytracing with new drivers significantly ?

Last edited:
Couldn't care less about Ray Tracing... I don't play a single game that even supports it.
Hopefully, I won't have to buy a new GPU until after the next product cycle late this year.
/6600XT works just fine for 1440p gaming

Ray tracing’s relevancy is entirely user dependent. I’ve played several games since I got my 3090 with RT enabled.

It’s important to some and not to others.
Great. But in general it's not nearly as important.

Ray tracing’s relevancy is entirely user dependent. I’ve played several games since I got my 3090 with RT enabled.

It’s important to some and not to others.
It’s important to studios, it saves them craploads of time during development which saves them money and lets them put out a more reliable product. So by extension it’s important to the rest of us.

Back