AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Beats NVIDIA RTX 3090 In Leaked AotS 4K Benchmark

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT graphics cards will be available from the 8th of December. The AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT is expected to have an MSRP of $999 US and will be a reference only model for unless AMD gives its AIB partners a greenlight for custom variants which may be in the plans. The Radeon RX 6800 XT and Radeon RX 6800 will be launching in the retail market on 18th November for $649 US and $579 US, respectively."

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-beats-nvidia-rtx-3090-in-leaked-aots-4k-benchmark/

“While the RX 6800 XT beats out an RTX 3090 (which only scores 8,700 points in comparison), it's worth noting that AotS has several software bottlenecks and it is evident from the fact that an RTX 3080 *also* beats out the RTX 3090 at 8800 points. All that said, the difference between the NVIDIA GPUs and AMD GPUs is still pretty steep (almost 400 points) and it is highly probable that the RX 6800 XT will retain this lead. For those wondering, all tests were conducted with the same CPU (Core i7-8700k).

Interestingly, however, the RTX 3090 thrases out AMD's GPU in the 1080p preset - and this is something that would be more indicative of true graphical performance. At 4K and above, the load on the CPU is reduced and the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck in outputting frames. At 1080p, the primary bottleneck is the GPU. This is why the lower the resolution, the higher the differences between GPUs as the compute bottleneck is quickly eliminated.”

———

This is a weird benchmark, the red text feels backwards to me as I thought lower resolutions would hit a CPU bottleneck before GPU. But I’m not familiar with AotS.

“While the RX 6800 XT beats out an RTX 3090 (which only scores 8,700 points in comparison), it's worth noting that AotS has several software bottlenecks and it is evident from the fact that an RTX 3080 *also* beats out the RTX 3090 at 8800 points. All that said, the difference between the NVIDIA GPUs and AMD GPUs is still pretty steep (almost 400 points) and it is highly probable that the RX 6800 XT will retain this lead. For those wondering, all tests were conducted with the same CPU (Core i7-8700k).

Interestingly, however, the RTX 3090 thrases out AMD's GPU in the 1080p preset - and this is something that would be more indicative of true graphical performance. At 4K and above, the load on the CPU is reduced and the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck in outputting frames. At 1080p, the primary bottleneck is the GPU. This is why the lower the resolution, the higher the differences between GPUs as the compute bottleneck is quickly eliminated.”

———

This is a weird benchmark, the red text feels backwards to me as I thought lower resolutions would hit a CPU bottleneck before GPU. But I’m not familiar with AotS.
Yeah, that seems back asswards to me too. At lower resolutions/higher fps you become more CPU limited... as resolution goes up you are more GPU constrained. Not really sure what they are trying to say but it doesn't sound right.

"At 4K and above, the load on the CPU is reduced and the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck in outputting frames. At 1080p, the primary bottleneck is the GPU. "

Think they are typo-constrained.

At 1080p the primary bottleneck is the CPU - but maybe I'm perception-constrained...

That part do sound like a copy paste from a different article with a Ctrl-H not doing well:

Interestingly, however, the RTX 3090 thrases out AMD's GPU in the 1080p preset - and this is something that would be more indicative of true graphical performance. At 4K and above, the load on the CPU is reduced and the GPU becomes the primary bottleneck in outputting frames. At 1080p, the primary bottleneck is the GPU. This is why the lower the resolution, the higher the differences between GPUs as the compute bottleneck is quickly eliminated. The full set of 1080p benchmarks are

They both look to be great video cards, can’t wait for them to exist outside of photos.

Back