AMD Radeon RX 590 Graphic Card Releasing November 15th

Maybe AMD should move on to higher 4 digit numbers for the naming of their cards. I suspect there will be people who see the number 1050 is higher than 570/580 and go for the 1050 xD. Nvidia knows how to play the mindshare game.

both of them have done it over the years because that was a business theory.. the reality is that the average customers are even dumber than the companies thought and it makes almost no difference.

yeah that exist since.. 2 years ago with the GTX 1070.

the claimed performance jump from RX 580 to RX 590 won't magically make possible to achieve 1440P gaming. if any what it will do is just reinforce a constant 1080P ultra settings 60FPS gameplay as there are LOT of games where even OC'd the RX 580 can't provide the necessary performance to max out and keep 60fps.

Obviously there were cards capable of this. I am not sure I would call the GTX 1070 as midrange, though.

There is no set definition, but a midrange card should be closer to the price of a good gaming CPU. Again, this is up for debate, but $500 is not midrange, just because flagship cards are $1k+.

So to put it CLEARER, getting good 1440p performance for $300 is rather nice.

If someone chimes in that they saw a gtx1070 on sale for $300, I swear to God that I will kill the Internet.

How is the 1060 in trouble?... Its 2 years old.... the fact that AMD is still trying to compete with it 2 years later says it all.

This is a good spot for AMD to be with this card. The $150-300 price bracket represents the majority of GPU purchases.

As much as everyone likes to bitch about AMD not being in the high end market, that's not where AMD and Nvidia make their money.

I just got an rx580 for 224. Not too shabby a card. Plays 1080p with room to spare. Maxes TitanFall2 at 144fps every dial turned to the right.

$300 is way too much unless it is closer to 1070/1070ti performance, which it won't be. We've seen deals for $350 1080s and pretty sure there will be even more deals involving 1080s etc for black friday etc

the used crypto market is too great to ignore. i got a gtx 1060 for $150 a few months ago. works great. sure its risky, but at those prices you its worth it, at least ebay will cover you if it dies in a month, no matter what the seller says about no refunds(you can always get a refund if a month hasnt gone by). i see regular listings for 1070s at $250.

the used crypto market is too great to ignore. i got a gtx 1060 for $150 a few months ago. works great. sure its risky, but at those prices you its worth it, at least ebay will cover you if it dies in a month, no matter what the seller says about no refunds(you can always get a refund if a month hasnt gone by). i see regular listings for 1070s at $250.

great you just killed the internet... cover your eyes nightfire, you didn't see his post.. :p

How is the 1060 in trouble?... Its 2 years old.... the fact that AMD is still trying to compete with it 2 years later says it all.
They have competed with it the entire time that they have been out... now they are beating it.
I know you nvidia types think AMD can't compete but they have and do, just not in the few % sales of the top end cards.

But should I leave my 290x for it. All signs point to no. 290x with Ryzen 2700 is pretty great at 1080p still. I can play Witcher 3 without issue (and have hairworks).

Of course I think DOOM is my newest game and Vulkan trivializes running it. Now my RAM capacity is another story there though...

But should I leave my 290x for it. All signs point to no. 290x with Ryzen 2700 is pretty great at 1080p still. I can play Witcher 3 without issue (and have hairworks).

Of course I think DOOM is my newest game and Vulkan trivializes running it. Now my RAM capacity is another story there though...
Supposedly it uses 15% less power then the RX 580. It has 8gb that might be nice.

Obviously there were cards capable of this. I am not sure I would call the GTX 1070 as midrange, though.

Why so? When it was released, it was in between the 1080 and 1060. Now, nVidia has about as many cards above the 1070 as under it. When looking only at Pascal, there are a couple more cards under than over but not by much.

I bought mine knowing that it was better than the low-end but by no means capable of competing with the high-end. That, to me, pretty much is the definition of mid-range.

Maybe AMD should move on to higher 4 digit numbers for the naming of their cards. I suspect there will be people who see the number 1050 is higher than 570/580 and go for the 1050 xD. Nvidia knows how to play the mindshare game.
You might be right, I dunno, never understood sheepism.

and Nvidia will drop the RTX 2060 that will beat the new AMD gpu .. this is old news

also the AMD RX 590 chip is slated for sales in china ..right ? not the USA ???

Would be nice if they enabled more CU's on the chip, seems silly that the Polaris 20 unit in the Xbox One X has a higher number of active SP's than the RX580.

There is no set definition, but a midrange card should be closer to the price of a good gaming CPU. Again, this is up for debate, but $500 is not midrange, just because flagship cards are $1k+.

So to put it CLEARER, getting good 1440p performance for $300 is rather nice.

If someone chimes in that they saw a gtx1070 on sale for $300, I swear to God that I will kill the Internet.

About 2 months ago there was a fire sale in the H B/S forums from the miners among us, and thats when I got a 1060 6gb for $130, 1070 for $200, and a 1070ti for $275 (that unfortunately had to be instantly RMA'ed, but now has been fine). So seeing $300 for a 590 kinda makes me realize that prizes for sale cards may not reflect MSRP. But because of Nvidia's over saturation of the Market, it makes little sense to me why anyone would really get AMD right now other than brand loyatly. There are just so much more used cards you can buy that are Nvidia that the prices just drop rapidly. About the same time I purchased the 1060 6gb I also got a 580 RX 8gb for $200 and side by side on my wife's computer and the spare computer (one running a 4770 and the other a 4790), the 1060 has just been a equal or better experience for a card that was $70 less.

What's nice is there are some 580's for $150 on the B/S forum now. Seems a better idea to get those then pay $300 for a new 590 that will barely be as good as cards that came out 2 years ago. But hey, as I've said in other post...who am I to judge what people spend money on. If it makes them happy, they should do it.

Last edited:
About 2 months ago there was a fire sale from the miners, and thats when I got a 1060 6gb for $130, 1070 for $200, and a 1070ti for $275 (that unfortunately had to be instantly RMA'ed, but now has been fine). So seeing $300 for a 590 kinda makes me realize that prizes for sale cards may not reflect MSRP. But because of Nvidia's over saturation of the Market, it makes little sense to me why anyone would really get AMD right now other than brand loyatly. There are just so much more used cards you can buy that are Nvidia that the prices just drop rapidly. About the same time I purchased the 1060 6gb I also got a 580 RX 8gb for $200 and side by side on my wife's computer and the spare computer (one running a 4770 and the other a 4790), the 1060 has just been a equal or better experience for a card that was $70 less.

What's nice is there are some 580's for $150 on the B/S forum now. Seems a better idea to get those then pay $300 for a new 590 that will barely be as good as cards that came out 2 years ago. But hey, as I've said in other post...who am I to judge what people spend money on. If it makes them happy, they should do it.

biggest reason is to be able to use freesync if the performance increase over the 580 makes sense for the price. outside of that i agree.

biggest reason is to be able to use freesync if the performance increase over the 580 makes sense for the price. outside of that i agree.

Probably. But as an owner of both a very nice gsync monitor and a free sync monitor. The gsync one has been nicer. Results may vary for others. But more talking from personal experience of having them both side by side.

I think this is because the total performance of the cards is quicker on Nvidia's end. Yes the initial cost of Gsync was higher, but I don't have as high a turnaround on monitors over video cards. So having a very nice multiple generation of video cards that do Gsync that has done 144hz + at 1440p has been a better experience than finding cards that struggler to do more than 60 fps at 1440p on AMD's side. I've found that the raw performance of available Nvidia cards have been better for me. I haven't tried any Vega's though as their prices jsut don't seem correct for what they offer. Having purchased a 1070 for $200, it seems really no beuno to purchase a Vega 56 for $350+ for the same performance.

Last edited:
They have competed with it the entire time that they have been out... now they are beating it.
I know you nvidia types think AMD can't compete but they have and do, just not in the few % sales of the top end cards.

LOL.. "nvidia types"... you mean a person who likes better overall performance, decent price and lower power consumption?... yeah im guilty of looking for the best deal. I was an ATI guy since my 9800AIW ... but after my 7950 died... the 1060 was a no-brainer compared to the 480. I go with the better deal at the time of purchase, and if AMD has a better offering when i upgrade my vid card.. i will buy it... but not because of brand loyalty, because its the better deal.

LOL.. "nvidia types"... you mean a person who likes better overall performance, decent price and lower power consumption?... yeah im guilty of looking for the best deal. I was an ATI guy since my 9800AIW ... but after my 7950 died... the 1060 was a no-brainer compared to the 480. I go with the better deal at the time of purchase, and if AMD has a better offering when i upgrade my vid card.. i will buy it... but not because of brand loyalty, because its the better deal.
Agreed.

I go for the best deal as well. I had an R9-290 & was looking maybe for a 580 (more ram)....and then maybe 2-3 months before the mining craze hit, I picked up 2 1070s over 2 months for 2 boxes @ $270 ea.. About 2 months ago I picked up a 1080 for $260. Meanwhile I can't find a vega56 or 64 ANYWHERE for under $300.

Nowdays if I was building a gaming box i'd probably grab a Ryzen 5 1600/2600 at MC. When my (haswell) windows gaming box motherboard died, I needed something quick & I picked up an i5-8400 with motherboard for $255 after MIR. Would I do that again today? No....but at the time I think th e 6 core ryzens were like $220-$230 by themselves.

Wow, didn't the RX580 have a low 200 msrp? hope that info is wrong. AMD trying to milk the inflated prices as much as possible if so.
They go for around $220 these days. It launched with a SEP of $229.
$300 is way too much unless it is closer to 1070/1070ti performance, which it won't be. We've seen deals for $350 1080s and pretty sure there will be even more deals involving 1080s etc for black friday etc
New? 1070s go for $380 and 1080s go for $450-480 brand new at e-tailers.

Back